Random Movie Talk XIII: In Which I Cannot Come Up With a Relevant or Witty Title

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2v2f77r.jpg

To hell with The Wire.

I've soured on the Potter movies recently, but that looks damn awesome.

Six was good enough to get me excited for this one. Though, this whole two-parter thing is going to leave me kind of empty having to wait for the end and all.

Good to see you guys are all on board.

On board the Hogwarts Express!!!!!!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as it covers everything in the books... I won't have to choke a bitch.

Having actually watched the teaser, it looks just about as terrible as the majority of the films. But Yates has developed a keen talent for directing these actors and delivering some fun moments, though I half suspect this last film(s) to take on a far more dead-on-arrival serious tone than the last film so probably not worth my time anyway. Series seems to have also contented itself again with being butt ugly - these films lacking even the benefit of Bruno Delbonnel's somewhat-handsome lensing.

Or the fifth.

Nabbed Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet and The Age of Innocence for almost free today. Holla.

I would like to see NSW type out TEEHEE on a daily basis.

Dalton typing TEEPEE is the closest you're going to get.

All the teaser for Deathly Hallows gave away is that it has a dark aesthetic and that Harry's life will be put in danger at some point during the running time. Or, rather, that it is indeed a Harry Potter movie. If you care to read into it further, you can deduce that it will likely make money, though not necessarily mine.

Having actually watched the teaser, it looks just about as terrible as the majority of the films. But Yates has developed a keen talent for directing these actors and delivering some fun moments, though I half suspect this last film(s) to take on a far more dead-on-arrival serious tone than the last film so probably not worth my time anyway. Series seems to have also contented itself again with being butt ugly - these films lacking even the benefit of Bruno Delbonnel's somewhat-handsome lensing.

I would argue that even this is far too generous, but I feel you.

You're right. It was hardly a great-looking or even especially good-looking film, but at least a far cry from the eye-rape that defined the rest of them.

Cutest couple of the night.

Snobbery, for a pumped-out Hollywood blockbuster series I quite like the photography on 3, 5, 6 (6 probably would have looked better if WB didn't insist on adding color back in late in the game), we don't need to talk about 1/2 or most of 4. I like the fact that Yates wants to go for a whole new style of filming for the last installments of the highest grossing franchise ever.

If not wanting to watch ugly shit cinema makes me a snob I'm more than happy to embrace the title.

Good thing. I have a lot of work to do to live up to the title! Though I guess I already have a good head start.

I meant it as a term of endearment, believe me.

It's hard to straddle the line between snobbery and maintaining one's tastes. I've been trying to stay conscience of that, but it's tough when 9/10ths of what I see flash in your face every day doesn't interest me. /Film's as hard to read as Glenn Kenny's blog sometimes.

I've been trying to stay conscience of that, but it's tough when 9/10ths of what I see flash in your face every day doesn't interest me. /Film's as hard to read as Glenn Kenny's blog sometimes.

It might blame my tiredness at work, but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Care to elaborate/clarify?

Yeah, that was vague.

I've found that it's hard for me to express my opinions about film to people without coming off as condescending or standoffish or something, even among friends with closer tastes. It's compounded by the fact that I feel that a couple of friends of mine who also want to make films and stuff don't take me seriously because I haven't gotten as much hands-on experience as they have. One dude's a hell of a nice guy, but a Lucas clone, right down to his artistic style (though without the substance) and middle-of-the-road stance on everything. He and his set of friends have kind of excluded me from working with them, since they've had a long partnership, and the same's kind of happening with the guys I made the Bookshelf short with, to a lesser degree. There's that frustration, which may be irrational anyway, mixed with the creative funk I've been in lately, amongst other things. On top of that, I don't feel like I fit into the /Film and Ain't It Cool fanboy culture, and I sure as hell can't grasp the more serious and high-brow side of news/criticism (ie, Kenny). That sort of uncertainty feels more restraining than liberating at this point.

Sorry for venting all of that, but yeah, it's somehow all rooted together.

Back
Top Bottom