Privacy Issue: Is this a big deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pub crawler

New Yorker
I was forwarded the e-mail below. The deal is, if you Google your phone number your address will be displayed, although it isn't true for everybody. With mine, they've got the general vicinity of where I live but the zip code is slightly off. I did try my Aunt's number and sure enough, it gave me her exact address.

I'm just not sure if this is something to be concerned about. After all, if someone has your phone number and they want to harrass you, can't they give you enough trouble just by calling you?

Also, I don't think Google is the only date base on the web with a bunch of private phone numbers and addresses.

I dunno. What do y'all think? :der:

---
Subject: FW: A public service message from ### ######

This is the email that a friend of mine sent. She said that one of their attorneys sent this out. She's in there but the address is wrong. Two others called her to say they are in there w/map & directions!

Beware the New Google Feature! http://www.google.com

If you type your home telephone number into Google's search bar & click the search button, MapQuest returns with a physical location of your phone number. People could use this feature to locate your home address, and receive explicit directions on how to get there. Not every phone in America is listed, but a frighteningly large number are. If you have the kind privacy concerns that I do, following is the good news.

You can delete your name from this database: to do so, type in your full phone number - using dashes - like this: 555-123-4567. If your number appears in the mapping database, an icon resembling a telephone will appear to left of the entry on the results page. Click on this icon and it will take you to a page containing a description of the service, and a link to request your number be removed. After following the instructions, recheck your phone # to be sure it has been removed.

Do this for every phone number in your home and/or business, particularly those of your children.

I was actually just using that feature earlier at Google...I had a phone number but no name to go with it (I always write down numbers and assume I'll remember the name attached with it).

You're right though...Google isn't the only database containing this information. If I can't find somebody at one site, I can surely find them at another.

pub,,

tHere are REAL privacy issues now.

i do not believe google is one.

ashcroft_nipple1.jpg

Do you have an unlisted number Kevin? It if an unlisted number shows up on a public directory, you have something to complain about. I put in both of my unlisted numbers and nothing came up but when I put in my office number, it showed a map of my city but no address.

Its kinda scary but there's not much you can do about this...there are 100's of free phone number look up services on the net.

I make my living finding people who don't want to be found and its a fact that anyone with a computer and a credit card can find your home address. I have access to a few tools the public doesn't but what the average person can find for free or under $20 is a little shocking.

Bono's American Wife said:

I make my living finding people who don't want to be found and its a fact that anyone with a computer and a credit card can find your home address. I have access to a few tools the public doesn't but what the average person can find for free or under $20 is a little shocking.

Dang, I bet that's interesting work. My friend's mom who's a lawyer was able to help me find my long lost first love a few years back.. but then I lost him again. :lol:

Not for Canadians, thankfully.

Edit:

BTW - BAW, what Do you do for a living? Sounds cool...creepy in an 'I'm watching your every move' type way, but cool nonetheless.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

BTW - BAW, what Do you do for a living? Sounds cool...creepy in an 'I'm watching your every move' type way, but cool nonetheless.

Mr. BAW is a private investigator but not the following people around kind...he specializes in insurance fraud. He interviews people who have been involved in car accidents or slip and falls at home or in stores. He also investigates dog bites and theft claims.

Sometimes if there's a lawsuit involved or the other party doesn't have insurance, they hide and ignore the letters from the insurance company and I have to find them. I use computer databases of public records and 9 times out of 10, I find them :mac:

Privacy laws require that I have a specific intent when I get someone's personal information so I've had to tell a lot of friends that I can't search for long lost loves, etc. but every now and then I'll do it because I love to be involved in a successful reunion and that's what I really like about my job.

We don't watch people or follow them around, its too time consuming. We don't do cheating spouse/divorce cases or missing children because I'm always afraid someone will get hurt so we stick to insurance work. Its not as interesting but its a good living.

i'd love to do something like that. thats got to be some pretty interesting work.

i've actually considered becoming a private investigator but i wouldnt know how to go about it lol. i've been known to find people by accident:uhoh:

Bono's American Wife said:

Sometimes if there's a lawsuit involved or the other party doesn't have insurance, they hide and ignore the letters from the insurance company and I have to find them. I use computer databases of public records and 9 times out of 10, I find them :mac:

What Bono's American Wife is not mentioning here is that she then proceeds to break their kneecaps. With a hardwood mallet. :mac:

:lol: :tongue:

i've not googled mine, but yeah, it works. there are several sites out there that have white pages, yellow pages, etc.

i used these methods to find my sister. her husband is still living at the same address and has the same number as they did like 10 years ago when we met. now if only i can get the nerve to call him to see if they're still married and stuff. :der:

pub crawler said:

What Bono's American Wife is not mentioning here is that she then proceeds to break their kneecaps. With a hardwood mallet. :mac:

:lol: :tongue:

damn straight! :yes: :up:

and uh...I asked you not to mention that bit of information to anyone Kevin so you might be next :angry:

I don't make a very good tough guy do I? :laugh: :wave:

Back
Top Bottom