Photographers' Union Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I am kind of obsessed with band photography and portraits. I tend to walk around in a haze, composing pictures in my head, without really being aware of it! One of my uncle's did some professional photography back in the day, so maybe it's in the genes :D

I've yet to buy a digital SLR (I'm kinda scared actually!) ... I still love to use my Pentax K1000 :) I have a couple of compact digital camera's, and absolutely adore the Panasonic Lumix I bought a few months ago.

If anyone can recommend a really good SLR I can start with then please share some tips. I've done a few short-term photography/darkroom courses ... looooong time ago now, no real formal training.

Two questions for the more seasoned photographers here:

I'm going to be spending 3-4 day in Yosemite this summer as well as 2 days in Santa Cruz and was wondering if it's worth my while to lug a tripod around with me on the trip - more specifically taking it with my on my hikes at Yosemite.

Second, I've got a 40d and have the 17-40L lens and am wondering if I should consider getting something wider (like the sigma 10-20)?

I disagree with Justin on the tripod. For landscape photography I almost never leave my tripod behind unless I'm just looking for snapshots. The possibilities for getting a sharp shot with everything in focus are severely limited by the amount of light when shooting handheld. Using a tripod eliminates shutter speed as a concern.

There have been a few times where I've left my tripod behind because I didn't think I'd need it, then i found a scene that was in the shade and I'd either have to bump the ISO way up (and introduce a lot more noise into the image), or have too shallow an f/stop to get a decent shutter speed, and then I wouldn't get everything sharp that I wanted to be sharp. Even with image stabilization lenses and all, a tripod will always get you a sharper shot. And especially in a place like Yosemite, where there are massive canyons and huge granite cliffs that can leave you in the shade much earlier than you thought, a tripod comes in handy. For example, these shots would've been impossible without a tripod:

IMG_6915bw.jpg

IMG_7692.jpg

Because I could never hold still enough for the length of time to get the water to look like that. And in the second shot, it was just after dawn on an overcast day, so even if I didn't want to blur the water, the shutter speed would've been really low. Bring the tripod along. :)

The only time I'd say to leave a tripod behind is if you're going for a strenuous hike (like the Half Dome hike or something similar). If it's a hard core trail, you definitely want to save weight where you can. Though something you may want to consider is the GorillaPod.

I would also definitely look into something wider. The Sigma 10-20 is a good lens. I've got the Canon 10-22 and love it - use it all the time in Yosemite, too. :)

Diemen may be more correct than I. I hard use Tripods, and should use it more often. I have like 3 of them, which are collecting dust.

I use a tripod too (when I remember to take it)

I also have a Gorillapod & its fantastic when your hiking or travelling & don't have room for a big tripod.

I've been trying to use a tripod, but haven't really needed to thus far. And the couple of times I tried long exposures, there was just too much light and the photo was waaay overexposed.

Can anyone recommend some good online sites or blog entries explaining aperture? That's where I have the most trouble.

Also, my new camera comes with all these features that edit the photos in the camera. Am I wrong or does this just seem pointless? Why not shoot raw and edit on the computer?

nice thread!!, ok here are some of my personal favorites!!

Lu-040.jpg

FdeLuna-001.jpg

Sesion-001.jpg

Sesion-035.jpg

Lizy-028.jpg

Legos-002.jpg

Atlantica-001.jpg

Tubos001.jpg

Like Justin says it's all about practice and see how far you can push your camera, but reading some theory never hurts

Also, my new camera comes with all these features that edit the photos in the camera. Am I wrong or does this just seem pointless? Why not shoot raw and edit on the computer?

Yeah, the editing and direct printing from the camera are a bit of a joke. I'm not sure who uses those features- maybe PC-incompetent users.

Mofo your work is always amazing. You started out that way too? Learing on your own and then taking some classes correct?

Thanks Man!! I'm trying to get myself into more complex shootings, a bit of conceptual photography among other things, and I'm really starting to enjoy weddings, since I've only done about 6 but I got like 10 more from this weekend till november

Yeah I pretty much started as a hobby with the rebel xt I think...the one with 8 MP, still took some courses i'ts good to know the theory

my first dslr was the xt too. i want to take more risks with my photography too. my big project is in june when i go to ecuador for 2 weeks and live with the tigua indians.

my first dslr was the xt too. i want to take more risks with my photography too. my big project is in june when i go to ecuador for 2 weeks and live with the tigua indians.

a bit of photojournalism or you've got something else in mind?? I actually want to buy a 50mm to get a better feeling of that type of picture, I think I've become a bit lazy with the 70-200mm or even the 24-70mm where instead of walking closer I'll just zoom in, so maybe the 50mm will help me improve a bit in certain areas

a bit of photojournalism. this whole trip was spontaneous. my mom who goes as a translator to ecuador with doctors who perform free surgeries for the poor became friends with a tiguan artists gustavo toaquiza and told him about my book so he asked for to see if i wanted to come visit and photograph their community. i plan on making it into a book and try to send half of the sales back to them.

Can anyone recommend some good online sites or blog entries explaining aperture? That's where I have the most trouble.

Well, Justin's link looks like it was translated from another language.

Here are a couple easier to read links:
Photographer Tips ? Understanding Aperture

Quick Guide to Understanding Aperture

Basically the aperture settings change how much of the image will be in focus, and how much time the shutter will have to be open to get the right amount of light in. The relation between the number and the size of the aperture (opening) is inverse, so a large aperture would be something like f/2.8 or below (where the opening in the lens is very large and letting in a lot of light, whereas a small aperture would be something like f/11 or f/16, where the opening in the lens is very small and a much smaller amount of light passes through. The larger the aperture, the smaller the area of focus/sharpness will be.

If you want to take a portrait where the subject's eyes are in focus but everything else gets that pleasing blurry look (called "bokeh"), f/2.8 or something would work well. If you want to shoot a landscape where everything from the foreground to the background is in focus, you want to use a small aperture (f/8 or smaller is the general rule of thumb).

Shutter speed and aperture are also inversely related. To get the same correctly exposed shot, if you choose a fast shutter speed you will need a large aperture. Say, for example, that at 1/60sec and f/4 you get a well exposed shot. If you want to shoot the same scene at 1/30sec, you would need to adjust the aperture to f/5.6, since you're letting the shutter stay open twice as long, you'd need to "stop down" to a smaller aperture to compensate for that extra time by having an opening that lets less light in.

Hopefully that helps some! :)

Those in-camera settings can come in handy if you're just taking snapshots and don't plan on doing much editing. Otherwise you're right, it's better to shoot raw and edit on the computer. :)

This is the 2nd best thread after the landscape thread. I think we should just have a photo thread where all interference photographer can share their portraits,landscape etc...

How do you add color to certain items in photoshop?

something like this?

Obamachico-1.jpg

I actually don't like to much those type of pictures, this was basically my first test shot with the 5D II, and at first I just wanted it in b/w but I wanted to highlight the eye, I guess it could be done with layers, but there has to be other ways

I actually don't like to much those type of pictures, this was basically my first test shot with the 5D II, and at first I just wanted it in b/w but I wanted to highlight the eye, I guess it could be done with layers, but there has to be other ways

Nice - what lens, iso, aperture?

Some random pictures from next to the Yarra River yesterday:

n705953694_1622826_6214307.jpg

n705953694_1622799_337250.jpg

n705953694_1622800_7748722.jpg

n705953694_1622843_5411707.jpg

n705953694_1622808_1004902.jpg

n705953694_1622847_4194098.jpg

I'm actually kind of annoyed with the last two photos, cause it feels as though I could have done so much more with them - but I'm not sure what. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom