Okkervil River thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
u2popmofo said:
Whoa, did you listen to the interview on the original link? Sounds like we're going to get another "appendix" type release for Stage Names, like they did with BSB!

YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY

*runs around room screaming*

I didn't listen to the interview. That's great news! I guess the new song will be on the appendix.

u2popmofo said:
Whoa, did you listen to the interview on the original link? Sounds like we're going to get another "appendix" type release for Stage Names, like they did with BSB!

YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY

So then you're looking forward to that?

:wink:

joyfulgirl said:

So then you're looking forward to that?

blush.gif

Maybe a little.

YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY

CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but they're actually billing it as an actual ALBUM now) !!!!!!

Pitchfork: New Okkervil River Album Due in September

We don't know much just yet, but we do know this: On September 9, Jagjaguwar will issue The Stand Ins, the fifth full-length album from Austin, Texas' Okkervil River.

The set is described as a sequel to last year's exquisite The Stage Names LP, which its equally Tinseltown-ready title would allude to.

You'll recall that The Stage Names was originally conceived as a double album, as Will Sheff touched on in our interview with him from last summer. Guess this is that, then?

Expect this to be in my year end list.
:yippie::yippie::yippie:

I just found out I've been mispronouncing "Okkervil" for, like, two years now.

I prefer it with a long 'O', thank you very much.

This is cool, though. Still have to pick up Stage Names.

51066okkervillf8.jpg

01 The Stand Ins, One
02 Lost Coastlines
03 Singer Songwriter
04 Starry Stairs
05 Blue Tulip
06 The Stand Ins, Two
07 Pop Lie
08 On Tour With Zykos
09 Calling and Not Calling My Ex
10 The Stand Ins, Three
11 Bruce Wayne Campbell Interviewed on the Roof of the Chelsea Hotel, 1979

05-31 Barcelona, Spain - Parc del Fórum (Primavera Sound)
06-26-28 Calgary, Alberta - Sled Island Festival
07-18 Bristol, England - Trinity Arts Centre
07-19 Steventon, England - Truck Festival
07-20 Suffolk, England - Latitude Festival
08-01-03 Chicago, IL - Lollapalooza
08-07 Oslo, Norway - Øya Festival
08-08 Gothenburg, Sweden - Way Out West Fstival
08-09 Haldern, Germany - Haldern Pop Festival
09-12 Lawrence, KS - The Bottleneck
09-13 Omaha, NE - Slowdown
09-14 Madison, WI - Barrymore Theater
09-15 Fargo, ND - Aquarium
09-17 Seattle, WA - The Showbox
09-18 Vancouver, British Columbia - Richards on Richards
09-19 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
09-21 San Francisco, CA - Treasure Island Festival
09-23 Los Angeles, CA - Henry Fonda Theatre
09-24 Solana Beach, CA - Belly Up Tavern
09-26 El Paso, TX - The Blue Iguana
09-26-28 Austin, TX - Austin City Limits Music Festival
09-30 New Orleans, LA - The Republic
10-1 Birmingham, AL - Matthew's Bar & Grill
10-2 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club
10-4 Richmond, VA - The National
10-6 New York, NY - Webster Hall
10-7 New York, NY - Webster Hall
10-8 Northampton, MA - Pearl Street Nightclub
10-9 Millvale, PA - Mr. Smalls Theatre
10-10 Buffalo, NY - Tralf Music Hall
10-11 Montreal, QC - Les Saints
10-12 Toronto, ON - Phoenix
11-05 Norwich, England - Waterfront
11-06 Manchester, England - Academy
11-07 Dublin, Ireland - Academy
11-09 Glasgow, Scotland - Oran Mor
11-10 Wolverhampton, England - Wulfrun
11-11 London, England - Shepherd's Bush Empire
11-12 Brighton, England - Concorde 2

smielephantiy2.gif

No Philly, no Baltimore. :sigh: The closest they're coming to me is over 3 hours away. Which means I need to write them a letter chastising them for their mediocre tour planning.

I cannot begin to explain how much I love the album cover for The Stand Ins. Did anyone else notice even the album cover is a continuation of The Stage Names? See:

51069.okkervilstage.jpg

51068.okkervil.jpg

I wonder if the version of Starry Stairs on this will be the same as the "Bonus Track Version" iTunes offered. For those who don't know, it's full title is '(Shannon Wilsey On The) Starry Stairs'. The same "Shannon" from 'Savannah Smiles' according to Iron Sheff. I'm also fired up for this:
"Lost Coastlines", a duet between Sheff and Jonathan Meiburg, who recently left Okkervil to concentrate on his band Shearwater full-time. "Lost Coastlines" discusses "the joys and hardships of trying to keep the band together,"

Speaking of Jonathan Meiburg, the new Shearwater album comes out Tuesday. Popmatters gave it a 9/10 on Friday and said this about it:

Shearwater has magnificently outdone itself. Not only is Rook destined to be named one of 2008’s favorites, but it could be one of the best albums for years to come. Sure, some of the subject matter is dark, but great beauty can arise from darkness, and Rook is among the most achingly beautiful things ever recorded. How’s that for happily ever after?

Needless to say, my level of hype just jumped up a notch. I've only heard the song 'Rooks' from it, and it's fantastic. You can here/download it if you go to the bottom of the review here:

Shearwater: Rook - PopMatters Music Review

Can't wait for this. Okkervil has long since established themselves as one of the premier bands around right now, they haven't produced any weak material since their debut.

This is why I didn't call you when I was in Florida last week.

I'm only 4 songs in, and this album is already better than Palo Santo (and I liked Palo Santo quite a bit).

So you were the creep hanging outside my apt window...

I agree with your assessment. They played Rook in its entirety in NY last month backed by a string quartet. Allow me to :drool: :drool: all over this thread. Thanks.

mofo, I want you to know I'm going to buy The Stage Names today. I just heard Savannah Smiles. :sad: :drool:

Love these guys, and I know if you are looking at this, you might as well. I was fortunate enough to interview Will and company during their last trip through town, you can hear it , download it and hopefully enjoy the whole thing here..

It includes an mp3 of a new song, which will be on the upcoming record....

The Futurist � Blog Archive � Lounge Act Video Recap - Okkervil River

Actually, that one is video...this one is audio...

http://woxy.lala.com/blog/2008/05/09/lounge-act-recap-okkervil-river/

Um, that's some cool shit you posted but could we put a moratorium on bumping threads for bands who have a new album leaking soon? Otherwise, I get my hopes up when I see the thread reappear. :angry:

That's not your fault. I just love the OK. :sexywink:

LEAAAAAAKAGE. Leakage, YLB, you boy. Leaked dry, I'm so sorry.

(Yes, I have to use that every time.)

None of you better say a damn thing about it on this forum, or I legitimately will report Interference to Jagjaguwar. No damn impressions until there's a legit way to hear it. I'm more serious than not. If there's one band and one label I will violently fight for, it's this one.

I can't believe how unmoderated this part of the forum has become, even mentioning leaks is ultra taboo on the other music forums I visit, as it really doesn't look good to straight up allow massive sharing and communication about leaks all over your music website. I also can't believe how naive many of you are by straight up posting your emails on a forum so everyone can see you sharing it and admitting you've downloaded it illegally.

Considering I own every one of their albums on vinyl, I don't feel that bad about it.

I do understand your point though. And I figure the people who post in this thread are mostly die hards (you, me, gottage, Elvis, etc.) who are going to buy the thing when it comes out.

Having bought all their albums on vinyl, two on CD, and with my third time seeing them coming next month, I think a little early sneak isn't a bad thing for me.

Considering I own every one of their albums on vinyl, I don't feel that bad about it.

I do understand your point though. And I figure the people who post in this thread are mostly die hards (you, me, gottage, Elvis, etc.) who are going to buy the thing when it comes out.

Having bought all their albums on vinyl, two on CD, and with my third time seeing them coming next month, I think a little early sneak isn't a bad thing for me.

Word, I just mainly didn't want to hear about it until I had a chance to hear it myself. :wink:

Hopefully they'll do the "we'll send you the mp3's months early if you pre-order it" thing again like they did with Stage Names.

None of you better say a damn thing about it on this forum, or I legitimately will report Interference to Jagjaguwar. No damn impressions until there's a legit way to hear it. I'm more serious than not. If there's one band and one label I will violently fight for, it's this one.

I can't believe how unmoderated this part of the forum has become, even mentioning leaks is ultra taboo on the other music forums I visit, as it really doesn't look good to straight up allow massive sharing and communication about leaks all over your music website. I also can't believe how naive many of you are by straight up posting your emails on a forum so everyone can see you sharing it and admitting you've downloaded it illegally.

Did you know Will Sheff used to write album reviews for a site that illegally traded music?

I also remember reading a post he made on the Okkervil message board where he talked about his love-hate relationship with downloading. He acknowledges the benefits of album sales to a band, but also loves how many more people get to hear the music through downloading.

That being said, I have no guilt whatsoever in downloading the leak of the album.

(I actually own four OR albums anyways)

4 albums makes up for it? So would you steal a Samsung camera because you own a Samsung television? I've likely spent considerably more money on music, cds, music dvds, and concert tickets than anyone else in this thread (or possibly in this section of the forum) so should it be ok for me to walk into Virgin Megastore and claim all their inventory as my own and then ravage the store manager's wife?

I realize the comparisons are over the top and outlandish, but I still think they're valid enough (just because you've paid for something before doesn't entitle any of us to anything else, whether related or unrelated). There is no justification for illegal downloading, the means don't meat the ends no matter how you try to tell yourself in your head that they do. (I spent quite a few years myself trying to make justifications. Having eaten at McDonalds countless times previously does not mean that I should be able to walk in and take any food I want now and decide later if I want to pay them something or not. No sort of market works like that, ever will work like that, or ever should work like that) Stealing is stealing is stealing is stealing. It's wrong, and nothing changes that. Everyone continues to do it because for now they can get away with it and have likely grown callous to the fact that it's completely wrong and they wouldn't do it if it was "stealing an album from a music store". There's no difference except it's easy, they don't fear punishment for now, and "no one knows". If anything, that makes it more sad and disturbing (it's great to know that if people have the choice between right and wrong, the only thing stopping them from doing wrong is the fact that others might know about it or they'll get in trouble). Anyways, rant over. I realize I make this over and over on this forum to completely deaf ears, but it's something I feel extremely strongly about and will certainly argue for more in the future (so please forgive my future soapboxing). :wink:

Audiogalaxy was a great music networking site, as good as anything else I've seen. Last FM was the first thing I've felt that has filled some of the gap it left. To label it solely as a "site that illegally traded music" is a bit narrow of a viewpoint, but you're correct that that is also certainly something that went on there (and probably why most were there). And yes, he did a lot of music editorials, lists, and such there. I think you can still find links to them on OR's site. Cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom