Offical English Footy Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and stick him next to Ronny Johnsen, who's way past it

Newcastle's big problem is that they don't take their chances and concede way too many

I watched them play Everton and they should have been out of sight by half time but in the end lost two points

So 2-2 at Highbury at the end of a pretty good match!
Fantastic start to both halfs! I personally got exactly what I wanted to see - goals, dodgy decisions and above all, a draw!:wink:
Henry's 1st was fantastic. Gotta say it, even tho I dont like to admit it - he's the best striker in the world right now. He should've got a hat-trick tho in the 2nd half, but all the greats have their slip-ups!
The 1 dodgy ref moment came with Henry and Arsenal's 2nd goal, with him taking the free-kick quickly, before Chelsea were ready. Poor old Cech! He did try to scramble across the goal for the ball!
Henry said after the game, that the ref asked him he wanted the wall moved back 10 yards, as they always do, or did he want to takr it now? He said now, and he scored! That all seems fair enough to me as a neutral. But I can understand how Mourinho and the Chelsea players and fans reacting as they did.
Jose said that Graham Poll is a great ref, but even the THEY can get things wrong sometimes.
(He didnt tho mate!)
:wink:

On another note....will bloody Everton stop winning!!? UTD are never gonna move back up the table at this rate!
Away at Fulham for us tonight then. 0-2 I reckon.

i am not happy but somewhat satisfied with the draw but whether henry taking that quick free quick was right or not it shoudn't have been a free kick in the first place cause pires took a dive. he should have been booked..not awarded a free kick...but hey what can ya do.

we're still in first and now the arse are in 3rd. YAY EVERTON!!!!

Piss Piss Shit and more Piss!!!:mad:

I am THAT angry about dropping two points last nite against Fulham! ARGH!!:mad:
We should've had that match won in the 1st half. We're not taking the chances we're getting at all. We should've been 3-0 up at the end of the 1st 45.
Fergie still believes we're in the title race.

I dont.:sad:

the arse-chels game was fun enough, although i was hoping kez would make an appearance. which he did not, but dear lord scotty parker played. some small pigs were also seen flying out of highbury.

that's the only game i saw over the weekend (ipswich over the radio). everton's run kinda reminds me of what we did several seasons ago, which means inevitably they'll get several bad results and ultimately fade away from the champs league race. still see them good for a uefa cup spot though, but nothing more.

yertle-the-turtle said:
the arse-chels game was fun enough, although i was hoping kez would make an appearance. which he did not, but dear lord scotty parker played. some small pigs were also seen flying out of highbury.

that's the only game i saw over the weekend (ipswich over the radio). everton's run kinda reminds me of what we did several seasons ago, which means inevitably they'll get several bad results and ultimately fade away from the champs league race. still see them good for a uefa cup spot though, but nothing more.

i knew kez wouldn't see a minute of that game. :lol: re: the flying pigs.

glad to see manure draw. things are looking up. :up:

Scary thought - Chelsea's so-called 'second side':

Cudicini
Johnson
Huth
Gallas
Babayaro
Geremi
Parker
Smertin
Cole
Kezman
Gudjohnsen

Ouch. Actually there's a gap in front because Gudjohnsen isn't quite a second-stringer but there was that whole Mutu issue.

EDIT: Unless you count Carlton Cole and Mikael Forssell.

*head explodes*

i know...no one can ever accuse us of fielding a weakened side. i'm positive that team would get us top 6 in the EPL . :yes:

yertle-the-turtle said:

Cudicini
Johnson
Huth
Gallas
Babayaro
Geremi
Parker
Smertin
Cole
Kezman
Gudjohnsen

Ouch. Actually there's a gap in front because Gudjohnsen isn't quite a second-stringer but there was that whole Mutu issue.

EDIT: Unless you count Carlton Cole and Mikael Forssell.

*head explodes*

And you can probably add Defoe to that list come the new year!

yertle-the-turtle said:

Cudicini
Johnson
Huth
Gallas
Babayaro
Geremi
Parker
Smertin
Cole
Kezman
Gudjohnsen

*head explodes*

I thought I'd better post we've been moved down the list by Sports that take away vital resources and attention from football.

However I do actually have something to contribute.

I'm not sure about Gallas being in the second string he seems to be playing anywhere and everywhere but he is playing.
I'm a big fan of Gallas but he is not a better left back than Bridge and he is not a better centre back than Terry or Carvalho. He is however I believe, a better right back than Ferreira, I still don't think he looks like12 million pounds worth. Carvalho's been class and hasn't got the credit he deserves but if it's in effect a toss up between Bridge and Ferreira I'd go with Bridge everytime.

Yeah, Bridge for me too. If I was a Chelsea fan that is! Not sure about Ferreira tho...I think Jose must haved owed him a favour or something and that's why he took him in his suitcase on the flight from Porto!
Bridge and Cole do seem to link up well for England too, that's looking a good left side. And young Mr Downing could soon be looking to push his way in there too! So suddenly, from years of having a left-side crise in the national team, we might be experiencing an influx!

I prefer Bridge at left-back to Gallas, simply becase Bridge is a natural left-back (and a damn good one as well).

Also, I think Ferreira's done a great job. Mind you I don't go to the games so my opinion is limited, but from what I've seen of him on the tele he's done quite well. Took Rothen out of the game against PSG at the Parc des Princes and made a pretty good defensive clearance against Newcastle. Also gave away a penalty, mind, but defenders do that.

In case anyone's forgot (like I did!) today is the Champions League draw for the 2nd round! I bet we get Milan....:(

Ill post the full list up when it's out.

Champions League draw, knockout stage, last 16

Tie #1: Real Madrid v Juventus
Tie #2: Porto v Inter Milan
Tie #3: Barcelona v Chelsea
Tie #4: Werder Bremen v Lyon
Tie #5: Liverpool v Bayer Leverkusen
Tie #6: PSV Eindhoven v Monaco
Tie #7: Manchester United v AC Milan....(uhhh.)
Tie #8: Bayern Munich v Arsenal

Matches will take place on February 22/23 and March 8/9.

Well back to the left back subject before talking about the draw. As far as I'm concerned I think Cole is the best left back in the world, seriously you could offer me Roberto Carlos, I'd still take Cole. My friends take the piss out of me, anytime we go and see England it'll be 'who's your man of the match?' and everytime mine will be Ashley Cole. And that's as a Chelsea fan, can't believe the way he's come on over the last eighteen months ago.
Champions League draw - Barcelona Fantastic, I'll be the only Chelsea fan praying Ronaldinho is fit, it'll be great to see him play. Best team in England against the best team in Spain - think it might be too close to call but obviously I think Chelsea will just edge it.
If Arsenal recover their form they should go through and I think Liverpool deserved thier luck with the draw and should go through.
I don't think Man Utd have got a prayer Wes Brown up against Shevchenko, I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom