NFL 2012: The Super Bowl and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:
Not knocking your opinion. Just pisses me off when the media brings these things up because it's the Patriots. They didn't care when another team did it.

The Patriots aren't the issue here, it's the fucking Cowboys. The media always kisses their ass, so it's not surprising that they overlooked something fucked up they did.

Personally, I don't care about the McDaniels hiring and hope the Broncos pummel the Patriots into submission anyway. No knock on the Pats, but the playoffs would be more interesting without them. :wink:

Entertaining, perhaps, but meaningless. All it would do is reinforce the same "offense is everything," "QBs are gods among men" myths that we've had shoved down our throats all year. Give me a Broncos/49ers or Texans/49ers Super Bowl over that crap any day. At least it would show some parity. I hear enough hype about the same 5 or 6 teams all year round, I don't need an extra couple weeks of it at fever pitch.

Entertaining, perhaps, but meaningless. All it would do is reinforce the same "offense is everything," "QBs are gods among men" myths that we've had shoved down our throats all year. Give me a Broncos/49ers or Texans/49ers Super Bowl over that crap any day. At least it would show some parity. I hear enough hype about the same 5 or 6 teams all year round, I don't need an extra couple weeks of it at fever pitch.

Yeah, ESPN's stupid QBR rating and "Year of the QB" catchphrase has been quite annoying, but still, it's the most important position, and it certainly wouldn't be meaningless. Sorry, I'd rather see Brees, Rodgers, or Brady than sit through watching someone like Flacco play. If you want crap football on offense, go right ahead.

And I think we've seen plenty of parity over the years. A few teams have been doing it at a high level year in and year out, but usually over half of the playoff field is different from the previous year, and we've seen plenty of different teams make it to the Super Bowl lately.

The AFC has been awful about parity. If the Patriots go again it'll be, what, 5 times in a decade? And two each for the Steelers and Colts. That's pretty much it for the last 10 years.

God bless the NFC.

And, personally, I find it sad that teams with defenses ranked in the 30s are favorites at the moment. It's tough to explain to fans of other sports that you only have to be competent in one facet of the game in order to dominate, but hey, whatever works for those teams, I suppose. At least the Madden Super Bowl prediction will be more representative of the game this year. :wink:

Teams dominating conferences for stetches is nothing new and has nothing to do with the evolution of the passing game...in the 90's SF and Dallas dominated the NFC, in the 70's Pittsburgh, Miami and the Raiders had a stranglhold on the AFC....its cyclical, you're seeing it change already cause I think it'll be a long time before Indy is a domiant team again.

From ESPN. Found this interesting. Definitely something to watch on Sunday:

"The Giants didn't face many teams this season that mix things up the way the Packers do. When they did, they did not fare well. The Giants were 1-5 in games during the regular season when teams used 24 or more offensive personnel combinations. The Packers used a season high of 39 against them in a 38-35 victory in Week 13.

One advantage of changing personnel groupings is that it requires a longer scouting report and more studying of tendencies. Consider it this way: At any given time, the Packers could put one of 13 players on the field who has scored an offensive touchdown this season, including defensive lineman B.J. Raji but not backup quarterback Matt Flynn. That's a lot to think about.

To me, this is just another example of the innovation and flexibility coach Mike McCarthy wraps into his offense. Remember, last year at this time, we were discussing the wide spectrum he had established between five-receiver sets on one side and a heavy wishbone formation on the other.

It's amazing when you realize that Nelson caught the third-most touchdown passes in the NFL this season (15) while playing less than 60 percent of his team's offensive snaps."

So because the Giants had trouble against other teams that run offenses similar to the Packers that means they are in trouble against the Packers despite having nearly defeated the Packers? Does that really make sense? I think whoever wrote that is just trying to show off their knowledge of NFL offenses.

I think the Giants are just generally in trouble.

Why? They're as healthy and as confident as they've been all season.

Green Bay had fifteen wins this season and ran up big numbers, but they played a relatively soft schedule for a defending champion. They did play four playoff teams and won all those games, but they also played the weakest AFC division, plus they had two games against the Vikings and one each against the Buccaneers and Panthers. No question that the Packers are good. I just think their numbers are a bit inflated and they aren't as invincible as they are being made out to be.

Talking about the Giants regular season as a whole is silly. They are clearly a better, healthier team right now.

They do remind me of a team from the past, but not the 2007 team. A team more recent... who struggled with injuries in key spots throughout the season, looked dead in the water, then got healthy at the right time, had a few impressive wins down the stretch to squeak into the post season, and kept that momentum rolling thru the playoffs.

They remind me of last year's Green Bay Packers.

That said? This year's Packers are an excellent team. It will take a great game for the Giants to win. Do I believe they're capable? I do. I think the Giants matchup very well with Green Bay. But I'm not about to bet the house on it.

May the better team win.

If the Giants can pressure Rodgers regularly, preferably with a four-man rush, they can win. If it ends in a shootout like last time, I'm positive they'll lose. Eli can't match Rodgers pass-for-pass, so he's going to need some help. All that said, I just don't think the Giants have enough offensive talent to put up 35 or 40 points in Lambeau, which might be required to win. Again, it all depends on the sort of pass rush they can get going. If ever there was a time for the Packers O line to play their best football, it's now.

First time I've been to a game in a while. I have every intention of making an ass of myself.

415478_10150485110733635_582123634_8696574_627495416_o.jpg

Bears are starting the interview process for the new GM. One of the interviews lined up is with Patriots' director of pro personnel Jason Licht.

I like it. If you're going to give a relative unknown a shot at coming in as General Manager and improving draft day success, where better to pluck from than the Pats?

I think so. The two biggest problems with that suit is that it's hard to see in and a bit tough to breathe at times. But it's probably the warmest thing I own.

it's gonna be about 15-20 degrees at kickoff, very little wind.

right now in Green Bay, we're getting 6-8 inches of snow by Friday morning.

have fun at the game. i'm not going to this one, though i may tailgate and party across the street from Lambeau. if the Packers win, i'll be at the Championship game for free. :)

this game will feature the first time the Packers' O-Line has been fully healthy since Week 4!

my gut feeling is that the game will start off close, but the Packers will pull away in the 3rd quarter like they have so many times this year. this team is one of the best i've ever seen at making half time adjustments. i believe the Packers feel disrespected by all the so called "experts" who are suddenly leaving the Packers out of the conversation in regards to SuperBowl favorites.

my prediction:

Packers 38 - Giants 24

this will be the last i post in this thread until after the game. if the Giants pull off the upset, i'll be the first to congratulate them.

enjoy the great slate of games this weekend, folks. i'm as excited for Saturday's lineup as i am Sunday's Packers game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom