NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
namkcuR said:

Look at the Iverson deal - the guy is a superstar and Denver still got him for Andre miller and two mid-firsts.

I'd do KG for Tyrus, Duhon, PJ, and EITHER Nocioni or our swap option w/NYK, but not both.

With the way Gordon has been playing lately, I'd have a hard time trading him. Deng the same. Hinrich has been in a slump lately but he's a good young PG and I'd have a hard time trading him too.

huge difference between trading AI and trading KG... iverson brings more baggage than, um, a baggage handler, and philly had zero leverage 'cause everyone knew he had to be traded.

the only way minnesota should trade garnett is if they get young talent, picks and cap relief.

plus, a trade of thomas, duhon, brown and nocioni would be an illegal trade because the salaries don't match up.

in order for the deals to match up salary wise, the bulls would have to send Brown, Nocioni, Thomas, Duhon and either Deng or Sweetney. and minnesota would be stupid (which they have proven to be before) if they traded Garnett without getting a chip in the Oden lottery in return... so they would need the knicks pick swap rights, too.

if the bulls want garnett, they'll have to break the bank to do so. of course it would be easier if they could convince minnesota to take ben wallace's obscene contract in the deal, but that would just be silly on minnesota's part.

of course if the bulls hadn't signed wallace and just sat on the cap room, a trade for Garnett would be much, much easier. whoops.

(note... my trade has a RealGM trade ID of 3565923 if you'd like to check it out yourself)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i must say, i quite enjoyed seeing the 76ers beat the whiney bitch iverson with korver leading the way.
If it gets the Celts one step closer to Greg Oden, I'm all for the 76ers winning.
Watched some of the OSU/IU game last night...that man would look amazing in green.

Hewson said:
If it gets the Celts one step closer to Greg Oden, I'm all for the 76ers winning.
Watched some of the OSU/IU game last night...that man would look amazing in green.

I would want him in Boston over Philly anyways, but Boston hasn't had any draft luck since Lenny Bias.

:sigh:

He's back!

Brown coming back to Philly, but not as coach

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Less than three weeks after Allen Iverson was traded, Larry Brown rejoined the Philadelphia 76ers, this time as an executive vice president instead of a coach.

The Sixers said early Saturday that Brown will assist team president Billy King and the basketball operations department, and work on other special projects.

"Oh yeah, I think he's very happy back in Philly," said Brown's agent, Joe Glass.

The move was expected after Philadelphia traded Iverson to Denver last month. The day after the deal, King said he was talking to Brown about the possibility of rejoining the franchise he coached to the 2001 NBA finals.

The 66-year-old Brown, fired by the Knicks in June after going 23-59 and clashing with team president Isiah Thomas in the Hall of Fame coach's only season in New York, had been acting as an unofficial Sixers consultant this season. Brown advised King on the Iverson trade.

Brown has been King's mentor since he hired him as an assistant coach in Indiana. When Brown came to Philadelphia in 1997, he brought King with him as vice president of basketball administration. King was named team president after Brown resigned in 2003.

One of basketball's most well-traveled coaches, Brown's job with the 76ers was his longest tenure with any team in his 34-year coaching career. He took the job at Detroit and led the Pistons to an NBA title in the first of his two seasons there before his one disastrous season in New York.

With the Knicks, Brown criticized players through the media and talked to the press without a public relations official present, both violating Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan's policies. Also, the Knicks said Brown undermined Thomas by making trade offers to other teams, which he wasn't authorized to do.

The Knicks withheld the remainder of Brown's contract, which had four years and more than $40 million left, saying they fired Brown for cause. The dispute went before commissioner David Stern, but the sides agreed to a compromise in October before Stern's ruling, in which Brown got $18.5 million and both sides were freed of any future obligations to each other.

Hewson said:

he'd look great in knicks blue and orange too... sure we may suck, but at least sucking leads to a great draft pick, so there's hope at the end of the tunnel :hyper:

oh wait... :mad:

Annnnd, Chris Webber is a free agent.

Washed up or not, he'd be a good mid-level exception signing by any title-contending team.

Eddy Curry hasn't been playing that bad recently.

Actually, the Knicks haven't been that bad at all.

They're lucky to be in the Atlantic, where everyone can be a winner! :up:

It's like the Y League.

One of the best parts about being home for winter break is Mavericks games, and I just got back from my second of the season, the first being a Bobcats game the day after Christmas.

I love them.

Dallas should sign Chris Webber to the MLE. He could start center. He doesn't need to be a dominant scoring big because they have Dirk, and he would certainly be better than Dampier.

Webber sure as hell isn't what he was until 2003, but he's not completely washed up either. He excels in a running game, and that's what the Mavs play. In that environment, he could still put up 10-14ppg and 7-9rpg.

Mavs would love to have him in the playoffs.

Webber
Dirk
Howard
Harris
Terry

webber's washed up... i wouldn't sink any long term money into him. if you wanna sign him to a pro-rated 1 year deal? could be worth it... anyone who gives him more than that though is a fool.

calling isiah :banghead:

Just out of curiosity...if Isiah were to, say, get Cleveland to trade him LeBron for just Marbury+Franchise, would your opinion of him go up?

I realize that deal is never going to happen ever ever ever, but I'm just trying to gauge what it would take for your opinion of Isiah to go up.

:wink:

Cleveland will never, ever trade LeBron James unless he wants to go.

The only way he'll leave is if he goes into free agency.

And Chris Webber will be in either Miami or Los Angeles.

I think Miami can sign him on the mid-level exception, I don't know.

Webber said out of his top five destinations, he's least likely to join the Mavs. There aren't enough minutes for him on this Mavericks team. I'm hoping he doesn't come here.

Like LMP, I think the Heat and the Lakers are the most logical, obvious destinations.

Oh, I wanted to carry over namkcuR's 10 Best at Every Position List over here.

This was really hard for me, but here goes:

Center
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar ("Murdock from Airplane!")
Wilt Chamberlain ("The Stilt")
Dave Cowens
Moses Malone
George Mikan ("Mr. Basketball")
Hakeem Olajuwon ("The Dream")
Shaquille O’Neal ("The Big Aristotle", "Shaq", "The Diesel")
Willis Reed
David Robinson ("The Admiral")
Bill Russell

Power Forward
Charles Barkley ("The Round Mound of Rebound")
Tim Duncan ("Big Fundamental")
Kevin Garnett ("The Big Ticket", "KG")
Shawn Kemp ("The Reignman", "Manchild")
Jerry Lucas
Karl Malone ("The Mailman")
Bob McAdoo
Kevin McHale
Bob Pettit
Dolph Schayes

Small Forward
Rick Barry
Elgin Baylor
Larry Bird ("Larry Legend")
Adrian Dantley
Dave DeBusschere
Julius Erving ("Dr. J")
John Havlicek ("Hondo")
Bernard King
Scottie Pippen ("Pip")
Dominique Wilkins ("The Human Highlight Film")
James Worthy ("Big Game James")

Shooting Guard
Dave Bing
Clyde Drexler ("The Glide")
George Gervin ("Iceman")
Allen Iverson ("AI", "The Answer")
Sam Jones
Michael Jordan ("His Royal Airness")
Pete Maravich ("Pistol Pete")
Earl Monroe ("The Pearl")
Bill Sharman
Jerry West ("The Logo", "Mr. Clutch")

Point Guard
Nate Archibald ("Tiny")
Bob Cousy ("The Cooz")
Walt Frazier ("Clyde")
Earvin Johnson ("Magic")
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash ("Kid Canadian")
Gary Payton ("The Glove")*
Oscar Robertson ("The Big O")
John Stockton
Isiah Thomas ("Zeke")*

* - Gary Payton and Isiah Thomas are now known as "The Mitten" and "Worst GM of All-Time", respectively.

And if I got to pick this year's All-Star teams:

East

F/C - Dwight Howard
G/F - Caron Butler
G/F - LeBron James
G - Dwayne Wade
G - Gilbert Arenas
---------
G/F - Chauncey Billups
F/C - Chris Bosh
G/F - Vince Carter
G/F - Joe Johnson
F/C - Jermaine O'Neal
G/F - Paul Pierce
G - Michael Redd

West

C - Yao Ming
F - Carlos Boozer
F - Kevin Garnett
G/F - Kobe Bryant
G - Steve Nash
-------------------
F - Carmelo Anthony
F/C - Tim Duncan
F - Josh Howard
G - Allen Iverson
G/F - Tracy McGrady
F - Dirk Nowitzki
F/C - Amare Stoudemire

Last edited:
I was just watching the NBA on TNT and they were talking about what sounded like Webber is going to the Pistons.

I can't find any articles on this yet, but the Pistons? I know he's a Michigan boy and all, but do you think him coming will make this team a true title contender? Lets be honest, the East is still up for grabs. Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Webber and Wallace is not a bad starting five. Granted, he is not what he used to be. But with that lineup, he wouldn't even have to 10 ppg.

What do u think?

The Pistons are one of the only teams in the East that can hold a candle to the West elite (other than Cleveland, Chicago, Orlando, and Washington)

I know he has Michigan ties, but I really see him going to the Heat.

He even talked about being interested in playing with Dwight Howard and Grant Hill in Orlando.

Now that would be a great signing for the Magic. It would take some of the pressure off of Dwight and he could help Darko mature a bit.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Oh, I wanted to carry over namkcuR's 10 Best at Every Position List over here.

This was really hard for me, but here goes:

Center
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar ("Murdock from Airplane!")
Wilt Chamberlain ("The Stilt")
Dave Cowens
Moses Malone
George Mikan ("Mr. Basketball")
Hakeem Olajuwon ("The Dream")
Shaquille O’Neal ("The Big Aristotle", "Shaq", "The Diesel")
Willis Reed
David Robinson ("The Admiral")
Bill Russell

Power Forward
Charles Barkley ("The Round Mound of Rebound")
Tim Duncan ("Big Fundamental")
Kevin Garnett ("The Big Ticket", "KG")
Shawn Kemp ("The Reignman", "Manchild")
Jerry Lucas
Karl Malone ("The Mailman")
Bob McAdoo
Kevin McHale
Bob Pettit
Dolph Schayes

Small Forward
Rick Barry
Elgin Baylor
Larry Bird ("Larry Legend")
Adrian Dantley
Dave DeBusschere
Julius Erving ("Dr. J")
John Havlicek ("Hondo")
Bernard King
Scottie Pippen ("Pip")
Dominique Wilkins ("The Human Highlight Film")
James Worthy ("Big Game James")

Shooting Guard
Dave Bing
Clyde Drexler ("The Glide")
George Gervin ("Iceman")
Allen Iverson ("AI", "The Answer")
Sam Jones
Michael Jordan ("His Royal Airness")
Pete Maravich ("Pistol Pete")
Earl Monroe ("The Pearl")
Bill Sharman
Jerry West ("The Logo", "Mr. Clutch")

Point Guard
Nate Archibald ("Tiny")
Bob Cousy ("The Cooz")
Walt Frazier ("Clyde")
Earvin Johnson ("Magic")
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash ("Kid Canadian")
Gary Payton ("The Glove")*
Oscar Robertson ("The Big O")
John Stockton
Isiah Thomas ("Zeke")*

* - Gary Payton and Isiah Thomas are now known as "The Mitten" and "Worst GM of All-Time", respectively.

And if I got to pick this year's All-Star teams:

East

F/C - Dwight Howard
G/F - Caron Butler
G/F - LeBron James
G - Dwayne Wade
G - Gilbert Arenas
---------
G/F - Chauncey Billups
F/C - Chris Bosh
G/F - Vince Carter
G/F - Joe Johnson
F/C - Jermaine O'Neal
G/F - Paul Pierce
G - Michael Redd

West

C - Yao Ming
F - Carlos Boozer
F - Kevin Garnett
G/F - Kobe Bryant
G - Steve Nash
-------------------
F - Carmelo Anthony
F/C - Tim Duncan
F - Josh Howard
G - Allen Iverson
G/F - Tracy McGrady
F - Dirk Nowitzki
F/C - Amare Stoudemire

Please tell me your lists are in order. Please tell me you're not listing MJ as only the 6th best shooting guard of all time with dave bing as #1. Please. Please tell me that. Please.

"Please tell me your lists are in order"

That was supposed to be "Please tell me your lists AREN'T in order"

Now it makes sense with the rest of what I said.

this was a lot harder than i thought it was gonna be... esp. once i started ranking them.

here goes...

at the 1...
1. magic johnson
2. walt clyde frazier
3. bob cousy
4. lenny wilkens
5. jason kidd
6. isiah thomas
7. john stockton
8. steve nash
9. tiny archibald
10. gary payton

at the 2
1. michael jordan (even though i consider him to have been a 3)
2. jerry west
3. earl monroe
4. pete maravich
5. rick barry
6. bill sharman
7. sam jones
8. clyde drexler
9. dave bing
10. hal greer

at the 3...
1. oscar robertson
2. larry bird
3. julius erving
4. paul arizin
5. john havlicek
6. dave debusschere
7. george gervin
8. bernard king
9. james worthy
10. scottie pippen

at the 4...
1. elgin baylor
2. kevin mchale
3. charles barkley
4. bob pettit
5. elvin hayes
6. karl malone
7. tim duncan
8. billy cunningham
9. jerry lucas
10. kevin garnett

and at the 5... (this was certainly the hardest, other than the first 3)
1. bill russell
2. wilt chamberlain
3. kareem abdul-jabbar
4. moses malone
5. wes unseld
6. george mikan
7. hakeem olauwon
8. shaquille o'neal
9. patrick ewing
10. robert parish

in many cases #s 7,8,9 on the list could easily be switched with #s 2,3,4... i tried to use dominance, historical significance and championships as my tiebreakers if i thought two (or more) players were at the same level... if i still couldn't break the tie, i just went with personal preference.

and of course some players... like wes unseld, elgin baylor, oscar robertson & even jordan... could really be counted at multiple positions, but i listed them at the positioins where i most think of them (except for jordan... who was listed as a 2, but because scottie pippen was more of a point-forward in the triangle offense than a natural 3, jordan was technicaly more of a small forward in that offense.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
"Please tell me your lists are in order"

That was supposed to be "Please tell me your lists AREN'T in order"

Now it makes sense with the rest of what I said.

I'm sorry, it's all alphabetically order.

I can't order some of those guys so I chose the easy way out.

:happy:

I was just at the gym wearing my old Marquis Daniels shirt since it's no longer a non-work-out-in shirt, and I was laughed at by a Rockets fan because McGrady dropped 40+ on the Mavs last night.

If I'm not mistaken, the Mavs still won by 13.

I hate stupid fans.

So there was a huge Indiana-Golden State trade today:

Golden State sends Keith McLeod, Ike Diogu, Mike Dunleavy, and Troy Murphy to Indiana for Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, Sarunas Jasikevicius, and Josh Powell.

I think it's good for both teams, everyone needed a change of scenery.

... except for maybe the innocent bystanders in the greater indianapolis region who no longer have to worry about random bullets fired by stephen jackson.

He had a low shooting percentage anyway!

He will fit into the gun-totting Bay area (read: Oakland) well, though.

I think Ike Diogu and Mike Dunleavy will fit in really well in Indiana.

A backcourt of:

Granger-Diogu-O'Neal is pretty good in the East.

and they got rid of Stephen 9MM Jackson, which is always good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom