NBA 2012-13 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
A new regular season starts tonight, and the other thread is up to 960 posts, so I figured this was an ideal time to start a new thread. Lots of interesting things to watch for as this season begins to unfold:

Will Nash/Kobe/Gasol/Dwight/Artest/Jamison be as good as it looks on paper for the Lakers?

Will the Heat, with the additions of Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis, and with Bosh at center, and with the smaller lineups that will likely result, repeat?

How will the Bulls fare without Derrick Rose, and with Kirk Hinrich and thier new bench(Nazr Mohammed, Nate Robinson, Marco Belinelli, Vladmir Radmanovic, and holdovers Taj Gibson and Jimmy Butler, having lost Omer Asik, Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer, and C.J. Watson among others), and how will Derrick Rose look when he gets back?

Will the Celtics' offseason acquisitions of Jason Terry, Courtney Lee, Darko Milicic, Fab Melo, and Jared Sullinger, along with the return of Jeff Green, be enough to keep the KG/Pierce/Rondo core in the game for a little while longer?

The Knicks have added mostly old players in the twilight of their careers during the offseason(Marcus Camby, Kurt Thomas, Rasheed Wallace, Jason Kidd) in addition to Ronnie Brewer and Raymond Felton. Given this, Shumpert's injury, and the fact that the Knicks' frontcourt is already injury-riddled(it's reported Amare will miss up to 6-8 weeks with a ruptured cyst in his knee, Camby is out with a left calf injury and hasn't played at all in preseason, Chandler might(but might not) play despite a bruised knee, and Rasheed Wallace hasn't played all preseason or, really, since 2010), could the Knicks be headed for a disappointing season, or will they meet/surpass expectations?

How will the Nets fare in their inaugural season in Brooklyn, having added Joe Johnson, Andray Blatche, Josh Childress, C.J. Watson, Mirza Teletovic, Jerry Stackhouse(yeah, he's still playing), and having lost Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmer, Gerald Green, DeShawn Stevenson, and Sheldon Williams, among others, but more importantly, having lost the Dwight sweepstakes?

Will the acquisitions of Andrew Bynum, Jason Richardson, and Nick Young push the Sixers past the level of 'fringe playoff team'?

Will the Thunder take a step back this season, after the Harden trade and playing behind the aforementioned new-look Lakers, or will they still be able to contend?

The Mavs look quite different this year, having added Chris Kaman, Eddy Curry, Elton Brand, OJ Mayo, Darren Collison, and draft pick Jae Crowder, and having lost Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, Brendan Haywood, Lamar Odom(ok they never really had him), Yi Jianlian, Ian Mahinmi, and now Delonte West. Have they improved? Will they make any noise in the playoffs?

The Clippers have added Jamal Crawford, Lamar Odom, Grant Hill, Willie Green, and will get Chauncey Billups back, while losing Kenyon Martin, Mo Williams, Randy Foye, Nick Young, Reggie Evans, and Ryan Gomes among others. Will they take the next step? Will they be good enough for CP3 to re-sign?

The Pacers lost Darren Collison but acquired D.J. Augustin, Gerald Green, Sam Young, and added rookie Ben Hansbrough to their existing core. Are they improved, or will they just be a good-but-not-great team with no number one option again?

Might the Warriors make some noise this year, with a roster featuring Andrew Bogut, David Lee, rookie Harrison Barnes, Klay Thompson, Stephen Curry, Andres Biedrins, Carl Landry, Richard Jefferson, Jarret Jack, Brandon Rush, Jeremy Tyler, and rookies Festus Ezeli and Draymond Green, among others?

The Wizards look poised to be improved with the additions of Nene, Emeka Okafor, Trevor Ariza, and Bradley Beal, among others, to the roster with John Wall, Kevin Saraphin, and Jordan Crawford, and the loss of Andray Blatche, Javale McGee, Nick Young, and Rashard Lewis, who are all talented but were terrible together(too much chucking, low bball iq on one team). But how improved will they be?

Will Orlando manage to not be terrible in the aftermath of the Dwight deal, with a team consisting of Nikola Vucevic, Arron Afflalo, All Harrington, Hedo Turkoglu, J.J. Redick, Glen Davis, and Gustavo Ayon, among others?

Will the Kings still be in Sacramento by the end of the season? Reports are the league wants the Maloofs to sell, and David Stern also wants a team in Seattle by the time he retires in 2014. You do the math.

How will the season's top draft picks(Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Bradley Beal, Thomas Robinson, Jeremy Lamb, Austin Rivers, Harrison Barnes, etc), as well as all the other rookies, look in their rookie seasons?

And there are more as well that I haven't mentioned.

Also, something to watch for in the immediate days to come is if any East coast games, such as the Nets/Knicks opener in Brooklyn on Thursday, the Knicks games vs the Heat and Sixers on Friday and Sunday at MSG, or the Sixers/Nuggets game in Philadelphia on Wednesday, will get postponed/rescheduled in the wake of Sandy. It seems likely that at least the Nets/Knicks game will get pushed.

Hopefully this season is better than last!

That they didn't push the Nets/Knicks game is asinine. With everything we're dealing with, combined with the fact that the Barcalays center is only accessible by train or subway, neither of which will be running anytime soon... they should have rescheduled the game.

TV always wins, I suppose.

Thus ends the extent of my NBA interest.

This is the first season I intend to watch every game I can. I've always been pretty casual, less so about NCAA, but I want to learn more about the sport now. Bulls/Kings tonight. Let's go.

Ugly win for the Bulls tonight. And I feel a lot of the wins this season will be somewhat ugly until Derrick comes back.

Also, I'm getting a strong 2010-2011 Miami Heat vibe from this year's Lakers. With the newly assembled supergroup they'll probably struggle for the first segment of the season, just like that Heat team did, and the media will blow it way out of proportion, just like the media did that year, and the team will ultimately be fine.

That's the nature of sports media though, isn't it? You put Metta, Howard, Nash, Kobe and Gasol on the court and they don't perform questions are going to be asked. Fair enough in my opinion.

When's Rose due back?

Ugly win for the Bulls tonight. And I feel a lot of the wins this season will be somewhat ugly until Derrick comes back.

They really couldn't shoot worth shit. The offense is paltry without Rose, although they were still good on rebounds and defense in general. I predict a lot of irritating games iced by an opportunistic Bulls D at the last second.

Hopefully they don't fuck themselves over too badly before March or so. With Rose, I expect an awesome late-season surge.

Hewson said:
I'd say Mike Brown has officially become the first coach on the hot seat.

I can't believe he's using Nash in a Derek Fisher-like role. It's asinine.

So I went to the Springsteen show at Penn State tonight, and Pat Riley of all people ended up about 20 feet from me on the floor.

He really liked Land of Hope and Dreams.

Guy Next to Me: Pat, I'm a Celtics fan but I'll forget that if I can get a picture with you!
Guy Behind Me: Nah, fuck that, the Heat SUCK, Pat!

Bulls kicked ass tonight. Everything worked, FG% was way, way up. Enough to give you faith in this season.

Especially when you consider that Toney Douglas was the opening day PG last season.

Who are they hiring?

You guessed it.

3.jpg

If Phil wants it, it's his.

If he doesn't, I wouldn't be shocked by d'antoni... He has q great relationship not only with Nash, but with Kobe... It was long rumored that Kobe wore #8 originally because of his favorite player growing iup in Italy, one mike d'antoni. True or not, d'antoni and Kobe's father have always been very close.

Jerry Sloan is obviously being mentioned as well... But other than those three I really don't know who else they might hire.

Meanwhile... Hey, the Knicks are 4-0

Weren't they really keen on Brian (?) Shaw when Phil initially retired? Is that guy still available somewhere?

If they do end up hiring D'antoni, the team will score 150 points a night...and give up 160.

Back
Top Bottom