Interference Random Music Talk Part XVIII - In Which GAF Listens to Sex Church

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One Cock Hill. Great song. Fantastic lyric from Boner.

Apparently they're playing a show today on the campus of the University of Georgia.

yeah not a surprise about One Tree Hill. i can only hope they keep it in the setlist when they come to Australia.

And when I eventually get around to listening to Pavement, I'll be quite angry with Pitchfork if the band is anything short of brilliant.
i like the song... but if you have a listen to it, it's pretty goddam unremarkable considering it's been named #1 song of the entire decade. but as you said, it's not so much about quality or positioning or ranking or listing of songs as it is the writing.
A message we can all get behind.

:hi5:

are there many worse feelings in the world than seeing your team lose in a final? :sigh:

i can't see myself listening to upbeat/lifting crap today.

yankees-phillies-game-4.jpg

No. No, there's not.

Lewd Adventures in Thigh-Highs is the best reworked title any of us have ever done.

yankees-phillies-game-4.jpg

No. No, there's not.

It's not quite as bad when your team WON THE YEAR BEFORE.

Lewd Adventures in Thigh-Highs is the best reworked title any of us have ever done.

A bold claim.

I have to ask, fuck it:

Is it funny if Bono recently wrote an ode to a young lady of ill repute he met during U2's first tour of America titled "The Deflowered Rose of Woodbury"?

Woodbury, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice.

A bold claim.

Perhaps, but it just adheres to the original title so perfectly while at the same time completely smuttifying (new word) it. I can't think of a single revamped album title we've done that comes close to accomplishing both tasks so well. Mind you, we're only talking album titles here. Track titles are a much different story.

In other news, shark = jumped.

It's not quite as bad when your team WON THE YEAR BEFORE.

i'd disagree with that. my team has one two of the past three premierships, and lost one. if we get knocked out this year i'll be distraught. even more so if Collingwood - the team with a very passionate (if feral) supporter base but is loathed by everyone else in the competition, what's the MLB equivalent? Yankees? - wins the premiership.

but this is a music thread. Outkast's Mamacita is atrocious.

Fuck Yeah Fest totally changed the set schedule and didn't really promote the update very well, but I'm happy with the changes. This is who I'm planning on seeing today:

Best Coast
Titus Andronicus
Soft Pack
7Seconds
Local Natives
Dead Man's Bones
Man Man
School of Seven Bells
Delorean
The Rapture

Not a bad day for $25

Tonight I shall be seeing The Decemberists, Neko Case and Bob Dylan.

A little bit of uh-huh, and a whole lot of oh yeah.

Fuck Yeah Fest totally changed the set schedule and didn't really promote the update very well, but I'm happy with the changes. This is who I'm planning on seeing today:

Best Coast
Titus Andronicus
Soft Pack
7Seconds
Local Natives
Dead Man's Bones
Man Man
School of Seven Bells
Delorean
The Rapture

Not a bad day for $25

Alright well we only caught the last few songs of Best Coast, didn't see what the big deal was. Titus Andronicus blew me out of the water. So fucking good. Hadn't seen them before or heard any of their music but I will be looking into it soon.

Didn't make it to Soft Pack as mentioned above, but did see old-school hardcore act 7 Seconds which brought back some high school memories. They played only the hard and fast stuff, not more of the mellower period from the late 80's (Wiki actually lists some of this as having a "Shuttlecock-like sound", if you can believe it). For guys approaching 50, a hell of a lot of energy. Let the crowd vote for the final song, it was between their notorious cover of 99 Red Balloons and the title track to Walk Together, Rock Together. Crowd chose the latter.

I'll write about the rest tomorrow. I'm fucking burnt out.

Titus Andronicus blew me out of the water. So fucking good. Hadn't seen them before or heard any of their music but I will be looking into it soon.

Awesome. The Monitor's sound is very raw and aggressive (but with a slightly theatrical bent), so I'm not surprised its material translated well live. Will see them live when I get the chance.

The rest of my day:

Dead Man's Bones isn't your typical celebrity side project, and one has to give Ryan Gosling credit for trying something different. The children's chorus implemented on the album was with him on stage, with all the kids wearing costumes of famous/historical figures. Gosling alternated between guitar, bass, piano, and keyboards, and shared singing duties with some other guy as well as the kids. The songs were mostly of the mellow variety but the chorus provided a lot of lift and sing-a-long opportunity.

Man Man got the crowd whipped up as usual, but I didn't have as much fun as before as I was on the side with an obstructed view of the stage. One really needs to be in the crowd and able to see the various band members' shenanigans to fully enjoy what the band has to offer. Honus Honus had some pretty classic wipeouts, which never seem rehearsed but are clearly intentional in terms of putting himself in position to fall off/knock over something.

After hearing some negative word about School of Seven Bells in the live format, I was presently relieved to find that they delivered, with a setlist that was all highlights. Don't know all the song names but I'm pretty sure they opened with Half Asleep (a standout track from Alpinisms), and from the new album played the best songs including Windstorm, Bye Bye Bye, and the The Wait. They didn't talk a whole lot but certainly cast a spell, even if they didn't come close to replicating the recorded experience. Everyone I was with went to !!! instead except for one friend who wasn't familiar with them, but she was pretty impressed.

My MVP award of the festival easily goes to Delorean. I knew nothing about these guys but they really pumped some energy back into a crowd that was clearly burned out from the long day. Very layered songs that often put me into a good kind of trance. If forced to make a quick comparison I'd say that they seemed like Phoenix combined with Cut Copy. Feel free to strike that one down. Anyway, I will definitely be checking this shit out. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Because Delorean ran late, we only saw the last 1/4 of The Rapture's headlining set. What I heard was OK, but there's no way in hell the previous 3/4 topped what I was watching on the other stage. They eventually played some downbeat love song (prefaced by the lead singer telling everyone "now is the time to turn to that special person and say I love you"), and half the crowd seemed to head for the exit. Not a smart move at 11:15pm.

Well worth the ticket price, but they had nowhere near enough food vendors and the lines were insanely long. I didn't eat for 7 hours (the whole time I was there) and was dying by the time we left. The organizers should be beaten into a coma for such poor planning, and it's not like this was the first year at this locations. Assholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom