Interference Random Music Talk Part XIX: The One without a Clever Title

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron yuppie

ONE love, blood, life
I hope that I was not presumptuous in creating the next installment.

Please continue, and edit the title as warranted.

From the last thread:

LemonMelon said:
Layla unplugged. It's a ball-free interpretation of one of rock's most passionate anthems, and proof positive that Eric Clapton is a pansy-ass 50+ year-old member of the bourgeoisie with no grasp on what constitutes great music anymore.

I actually prefer the unplugged version, for the simple reason that it does not have that ridiculously overblown coda. And the song is also about stealing George Harrison's wife, is it not?

As for Clapton in general, I don't think that he has done anything worth mentioning since Cream. But he was quite awesome in Cream.

From the last thread:

I actually prefer the unplugged version, for the simple reason that it does not have that ridiculously overblown coda. And the song is also about stealing George Harrison's wife, is it not?

As for Clapton in general, I don't think that he has done anything worth mentioning since Cream. But he was quite awesome in Cream.

I disagree with everything here, even regarding Cream being Eric Clapton's peak. I still believe that Derek And The Dominoes' catalogue is the best example of Clapton as a multifaceted songwriter, although a lot of the album's visceral impact and fuckyeah attitude could probably be attributed to Duane Allman. As well as, you know, the fact that the album got done. The point is, very good record, their sole effort.

I hold Clapton in very high regard as a guitarist, but outside of a handful of songs I don't consider his writing/recording career to by impressive in the slightest. And some of his most memorable releases weren't even written by him anyway (Cocaine, After Midnight, I Shot the Sheriff).

I can't really think of another artist with that kind of contradictory standing. Other supremely talented guitarists either find their way into a great band (Jimmy Page, David Gilmour) or are good enough songwriters to pull their own weight (Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix).

I agree that the acoustic version of Layla is lame. I just had the discussion a few weeks ago with a couple friends who both prefer it to the electric version. Sometimes they have suspect tastes.

There's a Dismemberment Plan thread on front page that LeMeL has already responded to. Friggin' Cobbler. Random thread fails again.

Let's also not forget that he wrote "Wonderful Tonight," one of the most woefully mawkish songs in music history.

...and another song about coveting his best friend's wife.

Karma took a long time on that one but it paid harshly. Of course, he even managed to parlay that tragedy into his biggest hit and a fuckload of Grammys, so uhh...silver linings and shit.

So apparently, in 1976, Clapton went on a Mel Gibson-style racist tirade in front of an entire concert audience. I'm surprised that I had not heard about that to this point.

I'd never heard of that, either. I know Elvis Costello had his own Racist Moment back in the 70s (?), although I think his was some drunken tirade in a bar and not in front of a whole audience of horrified people.

Elvis referred to Ray Charles as "a blind, ignorant ******" in a bar in '79, trying to piss off Bonnie Bramlett during an argument. Considering the amount of respect Costello has for and how much he has drawn from black music, I just think it was a drunken gaffe.

I read a Clapton interview a few years ago (I think it was in a guitar magazine?), where I lost every ounce of respect for him I may have possibly had. He went on and on about how all new music sucks, naming numerous bands and artists. I was just really annoyed that one of his major criticisms was that he thinks most new music is derivative, as that is a bit ironic coming from a guy who owed a huge amount of influence to other blues guitarists. It's not as if he created anything mind-blowingly new or original in and of itself.

Anyways, I don't have links to said article, so this is all hearsay and pointless ranting for anger's sake.

Also, he's a douche for requesting the fake "Clapton Shreds" video get taken down back in the day.

cdcover.jpg

It could easily be because I fell asleep between the first and second halves, but "disc 2" of Tusk owns the first half. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the thing as a whole, but it just got better as it went along.

I guess next Fleetwood Mac stop is the self-titled? (I've heard Rumors)

John Mayer really is the Clapton of our time. Guitar chops? Check. Awful singing voice? Check. Inability to write a good song? Check. Best work done in a three piece band? Check. Colossal douchebag? Oh goodness, check.

Elvis referred to Ray Charles as "a blind, ignorant ******" in a bar in '79, trying to piss off Bonnie Bramlett during an argument. Considering the amount of respect Costello has for and how much he has drawn from black music, I just think it was a drunken gaffe.

I remember that. He's lucky Bonnie Bramlett didn't kick his tiny English ass.

Clapton played a few good guitar solos 40+ years ago. That's about all I can say about him. He is (was) an awful song writer.

The only time I saw him headlining was years ago, and he had some sublime guitar moments. That was a good show; Ry Cooder opened.

I'm going to go eat steak fresh off the grill, then motor down to Fingerprints to pick up some new records and not pay for them. I have a huge credit there, thanks to some choice vinyl. :D

It could easily be because I fell asleep between the first and second halves, but "disc 2" of Tusk owns the first half. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the thing as a whole, but it just got better as it went along.

The whole thing is brilliant.

I guess next Fleetwood Mac stop is the self-titled? (I've heard Rumours)

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom