For Cat Lovers Only XVII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
539w.jpg

World's longest cat -- Stewie -- measures 4 feet - Boston.com

:yikes: Almost looks like a bobcat or a lynx.

Do those people live near a nuclear plant or something?

Indra, did you see that your (I'm assuming it's yours, maybe it's someone else's) name and address are visible behind the vampire kitty's head?

Just had to throw that out there in case you cared. ;)

Okay,
So my sister's cats have fleas. I snuggled them yesterday before she noticed they had fleas. I was only around them for about a half hour. Is it possible that I brought a flea home with me?? I don't want my guys to get fleas but I don't want to spend $70 on treatments if it's not necessary. you know?

Very possible. And it only takes one flea. She should treat her cats for fleas and also de-worming. Where there's fleas there's almost always tapeworm.

What do you do if you gave you cat Revolution on the 15th of this month and you just found a flea? I don't want to overdose him on flea medicine, but I don't know if it's working that great.

Does Advantage work better than Revolution sometimes or do they basically have the same flea medicine? I know Revolution has added stuff.

I recommend Frontline. But I wouldn't put anything else on him until the month has passed.

Does anyone have any advice about cats and diarrhea? I've noticed it in the litter boxes for two days now. Once there was even some clear mucus with a few flecks of blood. It wasn't till earlier today that I figured out it was Jack, the super long haired tux. :( It's been getting caught in his fur, and twice today I've had to clean him.

He's eating and drinking well (they all are). He's still really playful and affectionate. None of the others have it, so I suspect a hairball? That can cause diarrhea, right?

A few minutes ago, I gave him a small glob of Vaseline, I read that's supposed to help hairballs pass. Is there anything else I should be doing, other than watching to make sure he's eating and drinking? I don't think it's anything that can't wait till the beginning of the week, but how long should I let this go on for before he needs to see a vet?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. :)

What do you do if you gave you cat Revolution on the 15th of this month and you just found a flea? I don't want to overdose him on flea medicine, but I don't know if it's working that great.

Does Advantage work better than Revolution sometimes or do they basically have the same flea medicine? I know Revolution has added stuff.

Keto has had fleas a couple of times in his life and for him Advantage works better than other products. I think you just have to use one and draw your own conclusions whether its effective. If you have an opportunity to use the medicine again maybe use a different one and then you will get a better comparison.

If you've already given him one medicine on the 15th of the month then definetely don't give him another dose without carefully reading the back of the box. This type of dosage information will be specified on there.

Just to be safe, I would recommend calling up your vet and asking about the dosage and when will it be ok to give another dose.

Does anyone have any advice about cats and diarrhea? I've noticed it in the litter boxes for two days now. Once there was even some clear mucus with a few flecks of blood. It wasn't till earlier today that I figured out it was Jack, the super long haired tux. :( It's been getting caught in his fur, and twice today I've had to clean him.

He's eating and drinking well (they all are). He's still really playful and affectionate. None of the others have it, so I suspect a hairball? That can cause diarrhea, right?

A few minutes ago, I gave him a small glob of Vaseline, I read that's supposed to help hairballs pass. Is there anything else I should be doing, other than watching to make sure he's eating and drinking? I don't think it's anything that can't wait till the beginning of the week, but how long should I let this go on for before he needs to see a vet?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. :)

Diarrhea lasting longer than a couple of days means there's a problem. He also runs the risk of dehydration. I wouldn't give him Vaseline. That's pretty old school. Maybe petromalt or laxatone.. but I dont think hairballs cause diarrhea. Anything he could have gotten into, or eaten, or a change in food, etc? Any vomiting?

we used to give our kitties laxair (i think that's its name?) for hairballs. tasmania in particular had a lot of problems with hairballs (which seemed odd since she was very short-haired but she had anxiety issues and really ate a lot of fur) but i don't think she ever had diarrhea, even when she was near the end.

Diarrhea lasting longer than a couple of days means there's a problem. He also runs the risk of dehydration. I wouldn't give him Vaseline. That's pretty old school. Maybe petromalt or laxatone.. but I dont think hairballs cause diarrhea. Anything he could have gotten into, or eaten, or a change in food, etc? Any vomiting?

No, no vomiting from him, I don't think. But then around my house, someone's vomiting up something every few days. But I'm pretty sure there's been nothing from him.

I changed their food a couple of months ago, to a better quality. Took nearly the whole month of August to make the switch, and they've been on this new food exclusively since early September, and till now they've all been fine.

I just checked him for dehydration, by gathering the skin on the back of his neck. He has so much hair that you can't really see, but it felt like it sprung back immediately.

If you google "cats diarrhea hairballs" there's a lot that comes up. I just assumed that since he's been fine on the new food for so long, and that none of the others are showing any signs of illness, that it would be more likely to be something like that. He HATES getting brushed, so I probably don't do it as often as I should, and when I do do it, I use a wide-tooth comb that probably doesn't take out as much hair as the Furminator does. But at least he tolerates that for maybe 60 seconds at a time. Some sites listed a few home remedies for hair balls, and the consensus seemed to be that Vaseline is the best. The also suggested butter, but said that's not as good. If this is still going on tomorrow, I'll try to find something better, but this city is pretty sucktacular as far as pet stores go, and I don't really want to leave him, and go out of town.

This is really freaking me out. :(

eta - he was just at the water dish, and drank for a good minute or two. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom