Does anyone else watch British Comedies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to enjoy Are You Being Served when I was growing up, at the same time as loving Dad's Army too.

Tho Dad's Army is still one of the best comedies ever made imo, Are You Being Served has dated slightly now I think...:shrug:

I watch British sitcoms. :straightfaced:

BluRmGrl said:
Blackadder
Father Ted
Waiting For God
Keeping up Appearances
Are You Being Served?
My Family
As Time Goes By
Mr. Bean
Absolutely Fabulous
French & Saunders
The Vicar of Dilbey

With the notable exception of Mr Bean (it was OK and it shows off Rowan's acting skills but I don't find it as good as some people do. Think it's far more highly regarded in the US than the UK but I could be wrong) that is a fanastic list! Wish they'd repeat Waiting For God on BBC 2 haven't seen that since I was... about 8 or 9. It was great!

Am a big fan of the Carry On films too (can't believe I've just admitted that publicly...) and actually really like the early B&W ones that were quite Ealing in style (Teacher, Regardless, :lmao: Constable etc).

One Foot In The Grave, Black Books, Red Dwarf, 'allo 'allo, Birds of a Feather (Dorien Green has to be one of, if not THE, best sitcom character of all time!), The Good Life (Margo and Jerry especially :lol: ), the less gross parts of The League of Gentlemen, Dad's Army, Porridge (Richard Beckinsale :drool:), Open All Hours. SO, so, so many comedies. I've missed loads out but basically I love comedy shows and relate better to home-grown ones than American ones.

But I don't like Bottom or Bo Selecta (in fact for Bo Selecta, change that to despise). Sorry.

It's probably already been mentioned but only Fools And Horses is a really good brit-com!

Really, its so funny :lmao:

****only fools quote****

Yuppie: we were just outside of *somewhere* looking at a thousand wilderbeasts grazing the ground as the sun rises to reavel mount kilimanjaro in all its glory.

Del Boy: We're all going on a beano to margate in the moring

:lmao:

Sorry if thats not totally right lol.

I recommend that you watch that show! :yes:

I've tried to get into Little Britain, but just can't seem to work up any interest. I do enjoy Matt Lucas' character Daffyd, if for nothing else but how ridiculous he is.

:shrug: Maybe it's a cultural thing (US vs UK), but I just don't really care for LB one way or the other.

PBS rocks! And I have a dry British humor at times.

I don't know the names, but I watch them. Always liked Mr Bean, but that's the only name I can think of

BluRmGrl said:
Maybe it's a cultural thing (US vs UK), but I just don't really care for LB one way or the other.

It's not a cultural thing, it's just crap.
It's an enormous case of Emperor's New Clothes syndrome for people who would like to enjoy comedy but don't.
It's good tabloid fodder that's all.

BluRmGrl said:
I've tried to get into Little Britain, but just can't seem to work up any interest. I do enjoy Matt Lucas' character Daffyd, if for nothing else but how ridiculous he is.

:shrug: Maybe it's a cultural thing (US vs UK), but I just don't really care for LB one way or the other.

Well I am from the UK and I don't really get it either! It is ok but I get fed up of comedies just based on little more than catchphrases week in, week out.

Every episode of Little Britain is exactly the same.

I didn't really get Alan Partridge when I tried to watch it ages ago. :shrug:

bono_gal said:
****only fools quote****

Yuppie: we were just outside of *somewhere* looking at a thousand wilderbeasts grazing the ground as the sun rises to reavel mount kilimanjaro in all its glory.
Del Boy: We're all going on a beano to margate in the moring

:lmao:
Sorry if thats not totally right lol.

Not sure if it is right but very funny nonetheless:wink: I loved the episode where they are dressed as Batman and Robin.

Has anyone mentioned Phoenix Nights?? (Sorry if you have).

I love this show - particularly the one where Brian's stannah stairlift breaksdown and he is trapped on it all night. He asks himself "Ok, what would Thora Hird do?" :laugh:

Has this been on in other countries? - Some of the references (like the above one) are very british and I wonder if it works as well??

RE: Little Britain

tarquinsuperb said:
It's not a cultural thing, it's just crap.
It's an enormous case of Emperor's New Clothes syndrome for people who would like to enjoy comedy but don't.
It's good tabloid fodder that's all.

Whew - thank goodness it's not just me. I was worried my Anglophile card was going to get revoked or something. :D

One show that I haven't seen listed (maybe because it's not really a comedy, but a talk show) is Graham Norton. I love watching him. How is he recepted in the UK?

I hate the way they sometimes do remakes of british shows in the states (and not just the comedies). Whats that all about? Its the same language for gods sake! If a shows good why mess with it? Can you imagine if they had remade Friends as 6 londoners?

LB: Loved the first series but the second just became obsessed with gross out gags (The WI <or whatever they were forced to change the name to> ladies...please, this IS NOT funny!) and the jokes don't seem as good now. Some great characters (Vicky Pollard, Des Kaye, Andy and Lou) but sometimes less is more (there are only so many A&L sketches you can do in an episode before they start to go a bit stale). Vicky Pollard is one of the best comic characters of the past decade.

OFAH: Voted best British sitcom for a reason! Heroes and Villians was one of the best episodes, not least because you can go "Oh, look!!Look!! That's Trisha out of Emmerdale and isn't that him outta The Bill?!" Loved it when they get to the 'party' and Trigger is complaining about how out of place he looks in his outfit :lol:

Graham Norton: Loved his Noel character in Father Ted and think he can be a very good presenter. However, if you're talking about his C4 chat show then that was just...not my kinda thing at all. As for how he's received in the UK; well, the Beeb paid out a shedload of cash to get him on the BBC and not C4 so they must think there's something in him. He also got the mickey taken out of him regularly on satire shows like 2DTV so that's usually a good sign!

Phoenix Nights: I've never watched it! (I meant to!) But remember the ads for it and they always made me laugh.

Trevor's World of Sport: Watched this the other night and thought it was funny! Can't understand why critics hated it so much.

What about British satire shows? We can't be beaten on those! (Though I realise they'll make little sense to anyone not living here) Spitting Image, Have I got News For You (has seen better days), and Dead Ringers (Veers dramatically from genius [Blair speaking out his mannerisms] to the deathly dull and unfunny [LOTRs satire]

Last edited:
Graham Norton is too camp for my taste and I don't really find innuendo funny usually.

TheQuiet1 said:
Dead Ringers (Veers dramatically from genius [Blair speaking out his mannerisms] to the deathly dull and unfunny [LOTRs satire]

I like Dead Ringers, but the American accents are so bad that it's distracting for me sometimes and I don't pay attention as much to what they're saying as I do to how they're saying it.

Angela Harlem said:
"I had a short black for breakfast, can't remember his name though. Then I had a fag. I really should take up smoking.."

Heavens. There is no way they would get away with that now. :ohmy:

bammo2 said:
The Day Today was classic.

I've just watched them all again recently...superb! The spoof Rap song by 'FUR-Q' is just :lol:
In case u cant recall, Morris plays the bad-ass gangsta rapper, who's song 'Ouizy Lover' (chorus done to the tune of the P.Collins 'Easy Lover') is riding high in the charts!

"COP BITCH, COP BITCH MUTHA-F***ER"

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom