Australia..spiders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cassis said:

well, its hard to eat the jumping ones, because they, well, jump away

the others you can just wrap in some tin foil and eat :up:

:drool:

Yum... I love the crunchy legs :drool:

We live in the suburbs but can often make do with spiders and the odd snake, freshly caught in the backyard, nicely done on the barbie. Cuts the food bill by half!

Cockroaches dipped in chocolate are lovely too!

:D

Beli is right about the temperature effect. Stick to the bottom half of the continent and you should be right mate. :up:

Australia, Home to:

The only poisonous mammal in the world - The platypus
The top ten most deadly snakes in the the world - Here they are!
Sharks - Big MOFO's that will eat you.
The box Jelly Fish - Deadly
Sea Snakes - Poisonous
Spiders - Lots of nasty ones, especially the Funnel Web and Red Back (though if you get to hospital quickly enough you won't die).
There's a shell that if you stand on it, it can kill you.
The Blue ringed octopus - beautiful but deadly
Some spikey fish - forgotten name but they are the same
Antechinious - a nasty little marsupial mouse which has the most powerful bite for its size and can break the bones in you fingers if it latches on.
Crocodiles - big ones.
Gonna's - lizards that when frightened will run up you (they have claws like a bear....)
And lots of interesting insects

But chances are you will get run over by a bus before you have to wrestle any of these.:wink:

When are you coming?

I have lived in both country and city Australia in Queensland, and the spiders aren't that bad where I have been. I would be more worried about the snakes if I was you, they are a lot worse and there are a lot more poisenous species in Australia.
:scream: Snakes and I don't get on

Cassis said:
well, its hard to eat the jumping ones, because they, well, jump away

the others you can just wrap in some tin foil and eat :up:

:drool:

:crack: :|...eewwwww. No offense, whatever tastes good to you, but...yeah. I think I'll skip that dish.

Boy, I would love to visit Australia, but with all that stuff there...(heh, snakes, eh? Better not bring my sister along, then...).

Wow.

Angela

beli said:
If you are a bugaphob I wouldn't recommend Australia.
ahh thank you, you've sufficiently crushed my dream of ever moving there. :sad:

australia is insane when it comes to insects and other animals that kill. i saw a documentary about an ant - an ant!!! - where just ONE can kill you if you don't seek medical attention quickly enough. you get the sweats, etc., and eventually paralysis will sink in, pretty similar to a lot of snake bites and stuff. from a fucking ant!

but still, what if you were to stay in the really, really urban areas (like for example, downtown sydney or something, some place that's been urbanized for a long time) and even got pest control? would you still have problems? i mean i know when we lived in an area in florida outside cape canaveral in a suburb that had been recently built :yuck: we still had problems with umm...bugs and things. the biggest arachnid i've ever seen!! and we found out later it was poisonous! my mom who's afraid of nothing was terrified of killing them because you could still see the legs sticking out when you'd hit them with a broom. it's like killing a wasp, you only get one shot killing them.

went to the musium today and got talkin to a guy in the insect section,turns out hes an expert on spiders,im goin to one of his lectures on spiders next month...
if we live in an apartment in sydney ill be fine and wont see any funnel, but ill see a lot of red back and a white somethin spider,forget its name,but he said the red back aint aggresive and wont bother us..
pretty good stuff he was tellin me..
wel be goin to sydney within the next 2years, gonna "do" europe first,travel about then head for australia where hopefully wel settle :)

KhanadaRhodes said:

australia is insane when it comes to insects and other animals that kill. i saw a documentary about an ant - an ant!!! - where just ONE can kill you if you don't seek medical attention quickly enough. you get the sweats, etc., and eventually paralysis will sink in, pretty similar to a lot of snake bites and stuff. from a fucking ant!

:lol: Those ants aren't in the city though. Most Australians live in a city. Theres really only snakes, spiders and sharks in the city. (unless you live in Canberra as thats inland but its full of politicians. I think I would rather take my chances with the sharks :mad: )

beli said:
Theres really only ... sharks in the city.
:lmao: you just gave me the best mental image. i'm picturing some teens out on the town barhopping and all of a sudden this shark starts hassling them or something! goddamn sharks! :get off my damn lawn:

Spiders are disgusting, horrid creatures. I had the misfortune of coming across a baboon spider back in Cape Town. I've never been the same since. That's one thing about living in the frigid temperatures of eastern Canada - the worst you get here are little garden spiders.

One of my old Aussie friends was once nabbed by a wolf spider when she was home for holidays. Needless to say, it wasn't a very enjoyable experience for her. :uhoh:

GibsonGirl said:
Spiders are disgusting, horrid creatures. I had the misfortune of coming across a baboon spider back in Cape Town. I've never been the same since. That's one thing about living in the frigid temperatures of eastern Canada - the worst you get here are little garden spiders.
The Araneae are not horrid, they are awesome creatures, wonderful predators and some of the most advanced arthropods on the planet. Just look at the web building and communications that they use in mating. Fascinating creatures.

We also have snakes (I saw many a black snake in the woodpile up at the grandparents farm). And then we have the Taipans as well. When I was 8 or so the family were walking along the Yarra River and a snake nearly bit my sister (5 at the time), she stood perfectly still and then backed away.

Really though Australia is a perfectly safe place to visit provided that you use some basic common sense and don't get hysterical.

Yes, I like the communication some of the females have with the males after mating. They eat them!:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom