American Idol 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:

Jasmine. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate. :madspit:

Between her and Carmen the bleating goat girl from the second season, it's a wonder my brains haven't melted out of my ears.

OMG!!! I hated Carmen too :madspit:
There was definitely some talent that year that were voted off too early. Oh well...

and what was up with Zachary? If you wear a top that is made for a woman, the tight jeans with the white belt, and the hair that make you look like a woman, what do you expect? I"m... speechless :huh:

And the 16 year old girl from Anaheim, Calif. - wow, she was very good. Can't wait to see the batch that make it to "Hollywood"

Kelly Clarkson, who won the first American Idol title in 2002, is denying that she's battling the show's producers over the use of her songs.

"Kelly Clarkson was happy to hear her song 'Since You've Been Gone' on American Idol last night. As far as she is concerned, there is no conflict between her and the TV show," the singer's spokesperson tells PEOPLE. "She intended all along to license additional material to the show and will do so when asked and within reason."

Idol producer Nigel Lythgoe said the show hopes to come to terms with Clarkson's reps. And Clarkson's manager Jeff Rabhan says she would never snub the show that launched her career.

"We are negotiating for a fair-market value," says Rabhan. "Nobody is more proud of where she comes from than Kelly Clarkson."

Ok for all of you that had fun laughing at the Paris Wannabe here is video of her from Tuesday night. I hope you enjoy laughing somemore! (warning the ads are those adult friend finder ones. no nudity. may see some thong shots etc...)

http://www.m90.org/index.php?id=10913

Zach honey, it's OK if you want to be a girl or a guy. However, if you choose to dress as a girl, don't get upset if people think you are a girl.

That said, it's good to see his family accepts him just fine.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Kelly Clarkson, who won the first American Idol title in 2002, is denying that she's battling the show's producers over the use of her songs.

"Kelly Clarkson was happy to hear her song 'Since You've Been Gone' on American Idol last night. As far as she is concerned, there is no conflict between her and the TV show," the singer's spokesperson tells PEOPLE. "She intended all along to license additional material to the show and will do so when asked and within reason."

Idol producer Nigel Lythgoe said the show hopes to come to terms with Clarkson's reps. And Clarkson's manager Jeff Rabhan says she would never snub the show that launched her career.

"We are negotiating for a fair-market value," says Rabhan. "Nobody is more proud of where she comes from than Kelly Clarkson."

Clarkson Relents, Lets 'Idol' Use Songs

Former "American Idol" winner Kelly Clarkson, subject to a scolding from Simon Cowell for not letting her songs be used by new contestants on the show, has agreed to do so, a spokesman said Wednesday.

Roger Widynowski, from Clarkson's Sony BMG record label, said Clarkson's management was negotiating with the show over which songs will be used.

A day earlier, he said Clarkson was not allowing any of her songs to be licensed for other purposes. He said on Wednesday that he had not been informed by her management that negotiations were under way, and that Clarkson would allow it on a "case-by-case basis."

That was also a day after "American Idol" judge Cowell sharply criticized her.

"I think that by ignoring the show you're ignoring the audience who put you there," Cowell said Tuesday.

Clarkson has become a major star in the past year, with her hit "Since U Been Gone" earning both massive sales and critical respect, particularly from a rock community that has looked upon "American Idol" contestants warily. Her album "Breakaway" earned a Grammy nomination for best pop vocal album.

"American Idol" must obtain permission from owners of song licenses before the music can be used on the show. While many love the exposure, some artists the Beatles, for one like to rigidly control use of their music.

Clarkson, in an interview with The Associated Press last year, said she knows she'll always be identified as an "American Idol," and she has no problems with that.

"That's where I got my start," she said. "They always talk about the big first thing that you did. I think the only thing that I do mind is I don't want people to only focus on that."

I was just sitting here imagining what Simon would do if a young Paul Hewson came in and sang a song and was dressed like MacPhisto or crawled across the stage licking himself like a cat.

I think Simon's head would explode.

I don't know, but that visual of Bono's tryout for American Idol cracks me up. :lol:

I really liked that Marine guy! I thought he was totally awesome at being a celebrity, hamming it up for the cameras. Totally reminiscent of someone we know...:wink:
LOL at the whole Paula/Randy DVD thing. That was awesome from beginning to end!

Oh, god, that audition with the DVD commentary and whatnot had me :lmao: the entire time. That was hilarious. "Randy's got a modeling DVD coming out...". Simon was in such a goofy mood, it was great :D.

And speaking of Simon, if anyone is still wondering why his brand of criticism is necessary, that Rhonetta (is that what her name was? Can't recall for sure) girl explains why. Holy crap, was she annoying. Shut. Up. And go away. Now.

Also, that 17 year old girl, Paris...uh, yeah, she was amazing. And she seemed like such a sweetheart :). Good luck to her, I hope she goes far in the competition.

Angela

Just watching the end here, and just saw "Rhonetta" - how incredibly bad was that!!!?!?!? OMG :shocked:

and Paris was good - so was Ms. Pickler (the young blond who lived with her grandfather). And the guy who sang 'Let's Get It On' to Paula was really good too. As was the mom with 3 kids who lived in 42 different foster homes...

WildHoneyAlways said:
so far no one has blown me away this season. meh.

i rarely watch this

but
when that 17 year old got up and sang Dixie Chix she was pretty good

when she Billie Holiday
it came right through the TV and gave me chills
I did not think that was possible

The producers last night made it seem like Rhonetta was going to say something crazy to Paula in the audition room (the previews kept showing Paula's face as if she was insulted by something Rhonetta said) but it was just some sad Lil' Kim wannabe that hasn't been told off nearly enough in her life. :shrug:

Sooo not a fan of hype.

American Idol Develops a Mean Streak

LOS ANGELES -- Considering it's the biggest kid on the block, "American Idol" is becoming quite the bully.

Fox's talent contest regularly has made an art of mocking the untalented who expose their dreams of stardom on TV, but the show's fifth year has the stench of a mean season.

Vulnerable contestants are coming in for more ridicule; bounced contestants are unleashing more extended and expletive-laden attacks on the judges and, we are warned, the future will demonstrate how vicious singers can be when they really want to win.

"We now have contestants who will not let anything get in their way of victory," host Ryan Seacrest told The Associated Press before the show returned. "Some contestants have thrown each other under the bus this season."

Much is at stake. Producers Fremantle Media North America and 19 Entertainment, who again have delivered the No. 1-rated show to Fox (last week's premiere drew a record 35.5 million viewers), are under pressure to keep the format a lucrative draw.

Would-be idols know this game can be about more than fleeting fame: It may be 15 seconds or it may be big album sales and a shot at a lasting career, as with "Since U Been Gone" hitmaker Kelly Clarkson.

"Shows have to reinvent themselves to stay fresh and invigorated for all these years," said analyst Shari Anne Brill of New York-based Carat USA.

In the past, "American Idol" (airing Tuesday and Wednesday) upped the age for contestants to 28 and divided the finalists evenly between men and women. This year, it's trying a little anti-tenderness.

Weight and sexuality are favorite targets, as in previous seasons and just like around the typical school yard. But there is new venom in everybody's blood, and emotional fragility be damned.

In last week's Chicago audition, a heavyset woman with an exceptional voice got a thumbs-up from the judges — and then chief provocateur Simon Cowell suggested the show might consider a bigger stage.

This especially cheap insult came from a man who also knows how to wittily target the performance, not the person.
He once compared a singer to a "waiter in a ghastly Spanish nightclub" and said a yodeled song was "a cross between a rodeo and 'La Cage Aux Folles.'"

Also in Chicago, a man with a high-pitched voice got Cowell's brutal career advice: Shave your beard and try wearing a dress.

In the Denver audition, Randy Jackson couldn't hide his surprise that a slightly built, long-haired contestant was male, not female.

"Wow," Jackson said. When the young man said he intended to sing Whitney Houston's "Queen of the Night," Jackson responded with a second "wow."

"Atrocious. Confused," was Cowell's post-performance comment.

Jackson's reaction seemed spontaneous and not unkind. After he was dismissed by the judges, the tearful contestant said Jackson "was just trying to make it all better."

Cut and print it; that's the kind of humiliation that sells.

Cowell and host Ryan Seacrest are known for their faintly gay-mocking banter, but the limits have become so stretched that the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation contacted Fox to voice concerns over the show's treatment of "sexual orientation and gender expression."

"The real offense here was in the producer's decision to add insult to injury by turning a contestant's gender expression into the butt of a joke," spokesman Damon Romine said in a statement posted on the group's Web site.

On Tuesday, GLAAD said it has started what it hopes will be a productive, ongoing conversation with Fox. The network declined comment.

While the series ultimately becomes about choosing the audience's favorite performer, the producers have decided to focus the audition segment on "the best of the worst" as well as the truly talented, analyst Brill said.

That puts the judges in the nearly inevitable position of offering smart-aleck comments, such as when Cowell toyed with a highly tanned, fashion-challenged young woman and her mother.

The snarky tone was carried over onto Fox's official "American Idol" Web site, in which a columnist questioned the mom and daughter's intelligence, saying, "I haven't seen such vacant stares this side of a mannequin."

Blaming Cowell for taking the bait or Jackson's discomfort with the contestant of uncertain gender is akin to making actors take the fall for their scripted lines; the producers lead them into the scene and the result is predictable.

In 2004, following the unlikely celebration of spectacularly off-key William Hung, Cowell expressed uneasiness with spotlighting the untalented.

"When you celebrate awfulness it puts you in a slightly uncomfortable position," Cowell said then, adding he was nervous "that we're going to get people coming on the show next year that want to be bad."

Bingo.

"American Idol" producers were unavailable for comment Tuesday.

However, when it comes to the show's bluntness about contestants, heavy or otherwise, that's simply reality, said Peggy Howell, spokeswoman for the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance.

"We're burying our head in the sand if we try to pretend people don't have those attitudes and think and say those things," said Howell.

And when it's showcased on "American Idol," that's entertainment — or so the ratings say.

"The audience has not shied away yet," said analyst Bill Carroll of Katz Television. "But it's early in the game."

^ Yea I felt the same way HelloAngel. I kept waiting for her to go and like duke it out with Paula or something.

Oh well. There were some good singers last night. The guy who serenaded Paula was quite good.. and the girl who sang Billie Holiday. Those are the two that stand out for me.

YellowKite said:
O

o

o

o

a

a

a

h

h

h

h

h

h

Randy: "That song would have taken two hours if you sang it like that."

:lmao:

Hehe. I told my family that I thought that guy should've gotten together with that one girl who sang "Unchained Melody" in her audition one season and dragged it out to no end there, too.

As for the show's people being mean-you know, my dad made an interesting point the other night-if people who audition think the judges are harsh, then they really shouldn't be in the music industry-what would they do if one day they were loved by the country and then the next, they couldn't even sell a copy to their friends? I think that would be a hell of a lot harsher than what some judge says to them in an audition room. If they're going to get into this business, they should know it's not going to be glitz and glam the entire time, there will be some rude people out there, be it the public or someone working on their album with them or whoever.

Angela

deep said:

i rarely watch this

but

when she Billie Holiday

YES!!!

I got chills too, "Take 5" is one of my favorite Billie Holiday songs.

I am eager to see what becomes of this sweet young thing.

Moonlit_Angel said:
As for the show's people being mean-you know, my dad made an interesting point the other night-if people who audition think the judges are harsh, then they really shouldn't be in the music industry-what would they do if one day they were loved by the country and then the next, they couldn't even sell a copy to their friends? I think that would be a hell of a lot harsher than what some judge says to them in an audition room. If they're going to get into this business, they should know it's not going to be glitz and glam the entire time, there will be some rude people out there, be it the public or someone working on their album with them or whoever.

Amen to that.

Everytime my mom emails me to bitch about how mean Simon is, I try to explain to her that he's doing them a favor. What's worse - giving someone a taste of what will come only on a much larger scale and a big dose of reality, or just being sweet and giving ppl false hope? Sure, he can be rude, but alot of the time, brutal truth is needed.

Most people have no idea how the entertainment industry really is, and that's probably a good thing.

deep said:

i rarely watch this

but

when she Billie Holiday

I was watching with friends and we'd been laughing and yelling out our own running commentary the whole time (which is basically the main reason we watch it, to laugh at each other's commentaries)...and then when she opened her mouth we just fell silent. And then looked at each other at the same time and said we had chills.

HelloAngel said:

Amen to that.

Everytime my mom emails me to bitch about how mean Simon is, I try to explain to her that he's doing them a favor. What's worse - giving someone a taste of what will come only on a much larger scale and a big dose of reality, or just being sweet and giving ppl false hope? Sure, he can be rude, but alot of the time, brutal truth is needed.

Most people have no idea how the entertainment industry really is, and that's probably a good thing.

Once in awhile I think Simon crosses a line and says something just really unnecessarily mean, but for the most part I think he's usually right on.

joyfulgirl said:

Once in awhile I think Simon crosses a line and says something just really unnecessarily mean, but for the most part I think he's usually right on.

I agree. He does it to be funny and sometimes he misses the mark.

HelloAngel said:
Amen to that.

Exactly :up: :).

I remember my dad being utterly amazed when the girl did the Billie Holiday song last night. He kept talking about how hard that sort of song is to do and that she was pulling it off very well.
She really is good, I will be very curious to see what becomes of her in the coming weeks.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom