Advice for getting into REM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kieran McConville said:
It's funny, maybe because I discovered it a decade after the fact, but Green is an album I rather enjoy. It's kind got this bubblegum vibe going on but you can't really get upset because it's so knowing and tongue in cheek. And plus it's got Hairshirt, one of my favourite REM songs.

Out of Time has some excellent moments too.

UP is underrated but I wouldnt suggest that someone new to the band buy it. Get Automatic for the People and a bunch of greatest hits compilations, then stew on it all for a while.

You forgot Monster!

Zero Dude, if this album doesn't get you singing in falsetto, then nothing will.
Awesome album. So are the others mentioned, but this classic is always forgotten. Except Kieran, he knows what's good shit and what's bad shit.
Yes.

I like Automatic and New Adventures, I also think Document is great, The one I love kicks ass
I'm getting ready to see them in concert, in January, I just hope they're gonna play the old stuff, I haven't even heard the last album :reject:

Yes angie, you're right. I did forget Monster.

In truth, I'd suggest buying everything from Green through to and including UP, just to experience 'REM: The Sellout Years!':wink:

No really, it's great. And ps. ebow the letter is the best REM song ever, and Let Me In is the second-best REM song ever.

vivaSA said:
I
I'm getting ready to see them in concert, in January, I just hope they're gonna play the old stuff, I haven't even heard the last album :reject:

I saw them last month and they played a lot from the new record, which one would expect. Here was my setlist and it's pretty typical of the tour, although the older stuff changes with each show:

1. Finest Worksong
2. Begin The Begin
3. Wake Up Bomb
4. Animal
5. Boy In The Well
6. So. Central Rain
7 High-Speed Train
8. Electrolite
9. Cuyahoga
10 The Outsiders
11. Imitation Of Life
12. Leaving New York
13. Great Beyond
14. One I Love
15. Final Straw
16. Losing My Religion
17. Walk Unafraid
18. Life and How To Live It
Encore:
19. What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
20. Star 69
21. I Wanted To Be Wrong
22. Permanent Vacation
23. I'm Gonna DJ
24. Man On The Moon

I buying Auto for the people tommorrow and Monster also maybe, got to practice my falsetto mind, lol

Well, it's going to be tough, but right now I'd guess your best bet is to audition for their new drummer. It's unlikely that they're looking for a singer or bass player at the moment, although another drunken airline binge from Buck and you might just get to slide in as lead guitarist.

Oh, wait. You meant how to get into their music. My bad. I say go chronologically. I wouldn't say that about too many bands (cough, cough, Radiohead) but their early efforts are strong enough to stand up to it.

strannix said:
Well, it's going to be tough, but right now I'd guess your best bet is to audition for their new drummer. It's unlikely that they're looking for a singer or bass player at the moment, although another drunken airline binge from Buck and you might just get to slide in as lead guitarist.

Oh, wait. You meant how to get into their music. My bad. I say go chronologically. I wouldn't say that about too many bands (cough, cough, Radiohead) but their early efforts are strong enough to stand up to it.

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk............

Back
Top Bottom