10 Best Concert Experiences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
inxs - 89 i think? maybe 90
u2 - 93
michael jackson - no idea when
crowdies last hoorah at the opera house whever that was
bush in um...98?
phil collins - 93 approx
rolling stones - 02? forty licks tour
hunters and collectors a long, long time ago at panthers lol. :reject:
metallica in um...99? :hmm: 98?
paul mccartney in...95? 92? 90-something :slant:

wow im bad with dates.
:reject:

I've only just recently turned 21... And, to that end... the number of concerts I've seen in my life are not a great many... So, I'm not going to be listing 10, because if I list 10 big-name concerts that I've seen then I'll pretty much be telling you about every show I've ever been to, and that'll be pretty boring and crap since some of them were shitty performances. ... although, I suppose, since I'm not actually intending on talking at length about any of these, it's more that I just don't feel like typing out info about the shows that sucked.

1. Queen + Paul Rodgers - Air Canada Center - Toronto - March 17th, 2006.

2. Mark Knopfler - John Labatt Center - London (my hometown) - July 17th, 2005.

3. U2 - Copps Coliseum - Hamilton - October 13, 2001

4. ZZ Top - Harris Park - London - July 21, 2005.

5. Barenaked Ladies - (some park) - Thunder Bay - (some time during the summer) 1997

Also: IWasBored -- I saw Murphy's Law when they did a bit of a tour of Southwestern Ontario. They were awesome, except that they had to borrow instruments from some guys they knew in town because theirs got stopped at the border. I don't really know them well enough to pass judgement on how well they performed, though... I couldn't name a song of theirs, I mean.

timothius said:
It's a big call, but I would be probably be willing to sit through that Phil Collins concert if it meant I could go back and see the rest of Angela's gigs. :hmm:

I sound like a salesperson now, lol, but you know how you do something for someone else's benefit and it turns out to be a great choice? I only went to Phil Collins and McCartney to accompany my sister for Phil and my mum for McCartney, and both were brilliant shows, despite my reservations. Phil Collins is an absolutely outstanding performer. I find his studio stuff great in quality, but very adult contempory, and entirely bland if it's an album's worth. I thought I'd snooze through the show, but far from it. He was enthralling from start to finish. In a way, he was similar to McCartney as I'm no Beatles fan but know the tunes like anyone does. I appreciate theirs and his talents but was susprised at just how entertaining it was. You'd have liked Phil, I'm sure Tim! :D
:up:

And BEG, I know you're mocking me for venue choice here so I offer you a :madspit: and have to ask what the gas cylinder caper is about? I didn't know they were in the habit of blowing things up :lol:

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:

Also: IWasBored -- I saw Murphy's Law when they did a bit of a tour of Southwestern Ontario. They were awesome, except that they had to borrow instruments from some guys they knew in town because theirs got stopped at the border. I don't really know them well enough to pass judgement on how well they performed, though... I couldn't name a song of theirs, I mean.

they came back here a few weeks ago, but their van broke down on the way. once they finally did show up (at 10:30pm), the promoter screwed them over and they ended up not being able to play the show. it sucked.

"why don't you drink fucking beer? what's the matter, are you queer??"

1. U2 - Cardiff Millenium Stadium, 2005
2. REM - Hyde Park, 2005
3. Alanis Morrissette - Water Rats London, 2002
4. Damien Rice - Brixton Academy, 2004
5. Keane - Rough Trade, 2004
6. Tom McRae - Islington Bar, 2004
7. Live 8 - Hyde Park
8. Tori Amos - Hammersmith Appollo, 2005
9. Travis - Brighton Centre, 2004
10. Manic Street Preachers - Hammersmith Appollo, 2004

Think that's a rough list...

I'm sure Fiona Apple next month will be on this list... :wink:

i can only think of 6 right now

1.U2 - City of Manchester Stadium, June 2005

First and only time seeing the boys. was amazing. WOWY was the best since it's probably my favourite U2 song ever. they even did the 'Love will tear us apart' snippet at the end.

2.Kings of Leon - Reading Festival, August 2005

Made sure i got really drunk with my mates at our tent before they came on stage lol. Sang and danced the whole way through. they rocked.

3. Kings of Leon - Cardiff, 2 July 2005

I missed pretty much all of Live 8 because i was travelling to Cardiff and the train got delayed and we had to book into a hotel and get something to eat ect... but it was worth missing because KOL made up for it in so many ways. got right to the front and was sweating like a bitch all the way through. amazing. i had to retreat to the middle of the arena for the last few songs though because i was too tired from jumping up and down at the front, reminded myself how unfit i was...

4. Kasabian - Reading Festival, August 2005

Had to watch this on my own 'cos none of my mates wanted to come with me. Wasn't expecting much but they surprised me more than any other band i've ever seen. They were so good. Processed Beats and Club Foot were :drool:

5. The Rakes - Leeds Warehouse, October 2005

There's just something magical about seeing one of your favourite bands in a tiny venue.

6. The Strokes - Manchester Apollo, January 2006

The coolest band in the world. Great songs, fabulous guitar playing and cool clothes. If only Bono could take a few fashion tips from them :wink:

IWasBored said:

i'd say ha, this is the only place where i have an advantge, having less than 25 years of being alive, let alone concert-going, but i know the jealousy factor will just lead me to being wrong again. can't have that. then i really will have to change my screen name.
You may be quite jealous of the first entry here:

So in chronological order, a top 10 from memory, dates are approximations on some early ones as I'm at work and my tix stubs are at home:

October 1982: The Who with The Clash, Shea Stadium NYC: OK, David Johansen was on the bill too, but we missed him(somewhat intentionally). The Clash as an opner, imagine that. First ever trip to NYC, first time dealing with a street scalper. Light mist falling, the place erupted to the opening notes of "Love, Reign O'er Me.

September 1984: Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Hartford Civic Center: Bruce on the Born in the USA Tour. Enough said.

September 17, 1987: U2 Boston Garden: The real Boston Garden. House lights are up for most of the show due to a technical glitch. Bono says something along the lines of not needing the stage lights cause "we got the spirit of Larry Bird in here". Encore includes "Spanish Eyes".

March 15, 1992: U2 Providence Civic Center: ZooTV Indoor Broadcast. Floor seats mere feet from the satellite stage. The band is on fire, completely in sync with the visual assault of ZooTv...10x more energy than 2 nights earlier in Worcester.

April 12, 1994: Pearl Jam Orpheum Theater Boston: Last of 3 straight nights in Boston (first 2 at the Garden). Originally the last scheduled date of this tour leg ( a fan club only show in NYC is added when PJ is tapped for SNL the following weekend), so the road crew creates the set list. Includes the last performance (as of this writing) of "Dirty Frank" and a 17 or so minute cover of the Beatles' "I Got a Feeling".

June 20, 1999: J. Geils Band Paradise Rock Club, Boston: The worst kept secret on the Boston Rock scene, 4 days before launching a reunion tour, the J. Geils Band plays a warmup show at a club with an 800 person capacity (and about 1200 in attendance). Billed as "Juke Joint Jimmy and the House Party Five", the band is slated to open for Alex Chilton and the Box Tops and play about a half hour. Instead, The Box Tops play first and the J Geils Band plays over 2 hours to a club packed beyond the gills on a tiny stage and blows the roof off the place.

August 24, 1999: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, FleetCenter Boston: The 3rd of Bruce's 5 night stand in Boston on the reunion tour (2nd of 3 shows for me personally), managed to get 4th row tickets. Seeing Bruce and the band from that close for the first time elevates the show to a new level. Security allows concertgoers in the front section to head to the barrier during the encores, and wife and I end up within 3 feet of the Boss.

June 9, 2001: U2, FleetCenter Boston: The infamous Boston 4 complete with DB9 stage rush. Special to me because I underwent succesful cancer surgery the day before (and had to give up my tix to Boston 3), but attended the show against the advice of most (though my surgeon thought I might have a shot at making it, which was all the incentive I needed).

July 11, 2003: Pearl Jam, Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA: The final night of the 3 night Boston experiment where PJ decides to try and play every song they have played on the tour without repeating. To accomplish this, they are forced to pla an hour acoustic pre-set at 6:30PM before opener Sleater Kinney takes the stage. Then take the stage again at 8:45, and shatter the curfew playing until 11:35. A show of legend.

December 4, 2005: U2 TDBankNorth Garden, Boston: My birthday. A 3 encore show, ending with "Fast Cars" and Bono saying "who'd leave you with a song you don't know?", and as the possibility of another song enters the minds of patrons, he smirks and says "Me." Band just on fire all night.

There are plenty of honorable mentions, including The Stones at the Orpheum Theater, several other U2 shows (May 28 last year, Larry's Birthday show in 2001 in Providence, Hartford 1984, ZooTV outdoors at Foxboro), Bruce at Fenway, The Who with Robert Plant opening (when I won a radio contest and got to meet Mr. Plant pre-show), The Amnesty Internatinal show in 1986 with U2 and the reunited Police, including a Bono/Police duet on "Invisible Sun" , Nirvana with The Breeders in 1993 and quite a few more.

Last edited:
IWasBored said:

um, yes. i wasn't even born yet. :grumpy:

Thats just one of those things you can't control. I'd have loved to have seen Doors and Jimi Hendrix, but couldn't attend as a toddler.
I just make the effort to see as many shows as I can that pique my interest cause with the volatility of the rock star lifestyle and band dynamics, you never know when or if the oportunity will arise again. (Cases in point, saw Nirvana 6 months before Kurt swallowed the business end of his shotgun, and saw INXS less than 2 months before Hutch was found hanging on the business end of his belt).

I wouldn't mind a time machine...though I may use it for more than just attending concerts...like playing the lottery with the knowledge of the wining numbers. :wink:

Hewson said:
I wouldn't mind a time machine...though I may use it for more than just attending concerts...like playing the lottery with the knowledge of the wining numbers. :wink:

or place bets worth lots of money using Grays Sports Almanac just like Biff did....:wink:

Hewson said:
December 4, 2005: U2 TDBankNorth Garden, Boston:
My birthday. A 3 encore show, ending with "Fast Cars" and Bono saying "who'd leave you with a song you don't know?", and as the possibility of another song enters the minds of patrons, he smirks and says "Me." Band just on fire all night.

(The others in your list too, but this is the only one from your list that I saw too. :wink: )

Popmartijn said:

(The others in your list too, but this is the only one from your list that I saw too. :wink: )
Yeah its not likely that we'd see too many of the same shows living on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

And speaking of this, I've been meaning to ask you...I think I may have run into you (not realizing it was you) in the men's room shortly after the opening act had finished. While washing your hands do you recall someone taking note of your ellipse wristband and saying something along the lines of "I see you got inside the ellipse, how is it?" And you responded something about it being worth the distance you travelled to get there.
I had such an encounter with someone obviously European, and wasn't until reading post show accounts here on interference that it occured to me that it may have been you.

:hmm:

Apart from One I can't remember that much from that evening. :) But I don't think it was me, I don't think I left my front rail spot after the the opening act had finished. Didn't want to lose that prime location. :wink:

Angela Harlem said:
And BEG, I know you're mocking me for venue choice here so I offer you a :madspit: and have to ask what the gas cylinder caper is about? I didn't know they were in the habit of blowing things up :lol:

Mocking??? Moi???:ohmy:

And you've answered my query as to which Hunnas era cos in the very early days (when I never saw them :madspit: ) they used to hit bits of metal and gas cylinders and the like. Very industrial.

Obviously they gave up that caper by the time they got to Panthers :lol:

And seriously awesome lists everyone :up: I need to think of my own 10...

Hewson said:

how else would i be able to afford attending concerts?

With those sorts of winnings, you could buy Murphy's Law a van that won't break every 3rd gig :up:

I guess the name is kindof fitting... if anything can go wrong, it will. Heh.

And on the subject of Biff... I saw a poster stuck to a telephone pole earlier today: DJ Marty McFly. http://mcfly.ca/

But apparently there's also a djmartymcfly.com as well, for the 'creator of funky bunny'... whatever that means.

My only concern is whether or not he can scratch at 88mph and go back in time.

Hewson said:

June 9, 2001: U2, FleetCenter Boston: The infamous Boston 4 complete with DB9 stage rush. Special to me because I underwent succesful cancer surgery the day before (and had to give up my tix to Boston 3), but attended the show against the advice of most (though my surgeon thought I might have a shot at making it, which was all the incentive I needed).

it's taken me a few years to finally realize how stupid i was that night.

what a blunderous move i made.:huh:

out

db9:wink:

U2 - ellipse on rail 11/2/2005...too good for words!
My friend and I drove from San Diego to LA....on the way getting a flat tire...not being able to drive faster than 50mph then getting stuck in traffic which seemed like forever.....then standing in the wrong line...then finding the right GA line to realized hundreds of people were ahead of us....then getting in and getting scanend into the Ellipse....then getting there and getting a wonderful spot!!! The rest is history, I'll never forget that night. Especially the closing with Bad !!

Travis - 1/31/2004 surprisingly a wonderful, energetic show....everyone rushed the stage at the last song, Why Does it Always Rain on Me

Bright Eyes - 10/31/2005... My elbows were on stage ...I was that close, great show ...great opening bands, got some autographs after the show

U2 - 4/2/2005 - finally, my first U2 concert!! I bought the tickets while in the middle of nowhere college ...I was trying to get some for San Diego where my family lives but wasnt lucky...Ticketbastard finally put me through...I thought I was going to faint...I couldnt believe it....the show was awesome ! and then I got them and then realized I had to figure out how to get back home ...and had to arrange all my exams and assignments early

Radiohead - 9/23ish/2003 - great setlist, closed with a wonderul How To Disappear Completely

Esjborn Svensson Trio - 2004 - great jazz group from Sweden, amazing musicians, very nice, great seats

other good shows Interpol, Coldplay [way before x&y], Kings of Leon, no doubt, garbage,

Take into consideration I'm only 19...dont have a car and Ive had to save up from my crappy job to buy all tickets to all the shows ive been to [and of course an extra ticket for a friend]

Last edited:
1. U2 - Chicago May 12, 2001

My first time seeing U2, got into the heart, front row in front of Edge. I vividly remember out of control and 11 oclock tick tock.

2. Wilco - Dublin, May 9, 2002

First time seeing Wilco. Also, right before they blew up, so the venue was small and more intimate. My first and only concert in another country, as well!

3. Buddy Guy - Chicago, January 6, 2003

When he came out in this small venue, I was truly in awe. A showman and effortless blueman

4. The Strokes - Chicago, April 23, 2004

Many people have said they aren't that great live, but this concert proved them wrong. So much energy from the band and the crowd. Every song was a high.

5. Carole King - Chicago, July 15, 2004

I went with my mom and her sisters for her b-day present. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with her music and artistic craftmanship

6. U2 - Chicago, May 12, 2005

At the tip of the heart, The first time for the first time, discotheque, and them ending with Bad :drool:

7. Sufjan Stevens - Chicago, September 17, 2005

His voice is pure heaven

8. The Arcade Fire - Chicago, September 28, 2005

After seeing this band live, I could finally die in peace. After U2, no other band compared live.

9. Wolf Parade - Chicago, October 14, 2005

So much energy, passion, and creativeness.

Hard to rate these...they all reside in my memory as equally kick-ass...but, if forced to rate:

1. Radiohead (any of their last four tours, but especially the OK Computer tour, Vancouver, BC, 1997)

2. Built to Spill, Vancouver, Summer 2003 (two shows) and 2004 (oh, when will the world discover the greatness that is BTS?)

3. Mogwai, Vancouver, 2004

4. Interpol, Vancouver, 2004

5. U2, Vancouver, November 1987

6. Pavement, Calgary, Alberta, 1994

7. Nirvana, Victoria, BC, 1991

8. Sigur Ros, Vancouver, September 2005

9. Guided by Voices, Vancouver, 1994

10. Do Make Say Think, Victoria, BC, 2002

And, hey, kakvox, nice to see Wolf Parade rated here. Originally from my ex-hometown, Victoria, BC, but i haven't been lucky enough to see them yet!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom