(05-27-2003) The Edge Speaks About New U2 Album - Dotmusic *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.dotmusic.com/

ON THE EDGE

The new U2 record will be a "very raw rock'n'roll album", according to the band's guitarist The Edge.

The Irish rock legends are currently working on the follow-up to 2001's 'All That You Can't Leave Behind', which is due out next years. Speaking to XFM, Edge also revealed that U2 planned to tour the album in 2004.

Picking-up the award for 'Outstanding Song Collection' at last week's Ivor Novello Awards in London, the guitarist spoke about the new album. He explained: "It's going really well."

"And we're writing some of the best songs we've ever written. It's encouraging to get an award like this, it's encouraging to kick even harder and make sure that the next batch of songs are as good as anything we've ever done."

Attempting to explain the sound of the record, The Edge said: "It's hard to describe it, other than its just a very raw rock n' roll album."

"A band in its primary colours of guitar, bass, drums, voice and a lot of vitality and energy...so far anyway. By the time it comes out it could be a country and western album."

"For me the last record and tour was just a return to the basic sound of the electric guitar and how amazing that can sound," he explained. "The simplicity of it. And this new record follows on from that, but even more extreme."

I'll bet that both Edge and Bono have been listening to a lot of White Stripes. I think that's what this album will sound like, from a guitar standpoint anyway. Can't wait.

LPU2 said:
I'll bet that both Edge and Bono have been listening to a lot of White Stripes. I think that's what this album will sound like, from a guitar standpoint anyway. Can't wait.

That would make me the happiest U2 fan in the world.

chris thomas doesnt fuck around either! i've got a good feeling about what's to come.

abbreviated list of some of the artists he's worked with: The Beatles (The White Album);
Climax Blues Band (four albums);
Procol Harum (five albums, including Home, Broken Barricades and Grand Hotel);
Roxy Music (five albums, from For Your Pleasure through Viva); John Cale (Paris 1919);
Badfinger (three albums);
Pink Floyd (mixed Dark Side of the Moon);
Paul McCartney (Back to the Egg);
Sex Pistols (Never Mind the Bollocks);
The Pretenders (first three albums);
Pete Townshend (Empty Glass and All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes);
INXS (Listen Like Thieves, Kick and X);
Elton John (a dozen albums, includingToo Low for Zero, Sleeping With the Past and The One); and
Pulp (Different Class and This Is Hard Core).

unbelievable.

Last edited:
Edge,

"For me the last record and tour was just a return to the basic sound of the electric guitar and how amazing that can sound," he explained. "The simplicity of it. And this new record follows on from that, but even more extreme."

hmmmmm........sounds like it will be ATYCLB II.

Edge, I expect the album to be out by November of this year! You guys have already done the 3 years and 8 months between albums thing twice in a row now.

I think this album is going to be one of their best......hopefully they'll start putting those 30 sec teasers on u2.com soon........

quiv said:
chris thomas doesnt fuck around either! i've got a good feeling about what's to come.

abbreviated list of some of the artists he's worked with: The Beatles (The White Album);
Climax Blues Band (four albums);
Procol Harum (five albums, including Home, Broken Barricades and Grand Hotel);
Roxy Music (five albums, from For Your Pleasure through Viva); John Cale (Paris 1919);
Badfinger (three albums);
Pink Floyd (mixed Dark Side of the Moon);
Paul McCartney (Back to the Egg);
Sex Pistols (Never Mind the Bollocks);
The Pretenders (first three albums);
Pete Townshend (Empty Glass and All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes);
INXS (Listen Like Thieves, Kick and X);
Elton John (a dozen albums, includingToo Low for Zero, Sleeping With the Past and The One); and
Pulp (Different Class and This Is Hard Core).

unbelievable.
WHOO. This new album can be like U2's Back to the Egg! HOT DAMN.

Okay, kidding, sorry.

Last edited:
I still hope against hope this album is released in time for the Christmas rush. Late November sounds good to me.

I like to have time elapse between the album release and the tour, it gives me a chance to enjoy it more. March album / May tour seems too soon to me. Anticipation is so much sexier.

Back
Top Bottom