Your Gypsy Heart pt 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
Disclaimer: 100% Bull Sh*t fantasy

Chapter Two: Wild Gypsy Rose Part 1

“Do you think they’ll be ready this time? I mean, all of that business about not letting any of us into their rehearsals… I don’t know.” Larry was saying to Edge backstage as they got ready for the Boston concert. Two days had passed uneventfully since the strange letters arrival. In fact the only thing that had changed was Angel’s presence, and she was barely noticeable. A shadow, really, existing quietly, watching but never participating.

“I think they’ve got something up their sleeves. Don’t know if it will be good or not, but they’re definitely up to something.” Edge told his friend, who grunted in response. His distrust of Cat was unfounded, but he couldn’t seem to let go of it, and Edge couldn’t quite figure out why. He didn’t necessarily see in her what Adam saw, but she seemed harmless enough. And she was a natural entertainer, that was certain.

They were all milling around the green room, where on the monitor screen the stage was displayed clearly, this concert being recorded for possible use in a video in the near future. Their attention was drawn to the screen when Tequila Monster took the stage. Or, at least, most of them did. Alex, Krash and Shane were on stage, no one saying anything to announce themselves or say who they were, Alex simply striking out a rhythm by clacking his drumsticks together. Krash and Shane struck the first chords of an introduction to the bands single ‘Black Leather’, but there was no sign of Cat.

“Where the feck is she?” Larry wondered aloud, standing in front of the monitor, arms crossed over his chest. The others moved to stand next to him and stare at the screen as well. Still no sign of Cat. Then the noise level of the crowd rose, building like a wave breaking against the stage. Along with the curious rumble of the crowd, there was the sound of a powerful engine.

The cameraman panned over to the walkway which had been cleared for the band to make their entrance, catching the sight of Cat cruising in on motorcycle. She cruised past the audience and up a ramp, directly onto the stage. The crowd was laughing and cheering wildly as she slid the bike sideways, shut the engine off and withdrew the microphone from her pocket in one fluid motion.

Still, she did not introduce herself or the band, but went directly into the song. “Black Leather!” The crowd responded almost as enthusiastically as the one in Memphis had, despite the fact that they’d never heard the song before.

“That’s my bike!” Larry protested, pointing at the screen in utter disbelief. “That’s my fucking bike!” He exclaimed again, looking around at his mates as if wanting them to tell him it wasn’t. When the truth was, it was indeed his bike. “She stole my bike!” he shouted at the screen.

“Well, she didn’t take it far.” Edge told him, and the look of consternation on Larry’s face caused everyone in the room to laugh uncontrollably.

“Boston!” Cat greeted the audience after the intro song was done. “Wow, what a city!” she said, catching her breath. “That’s right.” She mumbled into the mic as the audience cheered.

“Thank you! Thank you!” She smiled brightly at the audience. “I was afraid I wasn’t gonna make it.” She joked, leaning against the bike.

“U2 is here!” She announced, sending the audience into another round of cheers. “That’s right, that’s why we’re all here. Yeah. We have the honor of entertaining you while they get ready to blow your minds, as they surely will. The name of our band is Tequila Monster.” She said, pausing to let the audience applaud and let her words sink in.

“What a place, Boston! What an audience!” She continued working the audience as Krash began to play a lead in to a rendition of ‘Light my fire’ by the Doors. “Let’s see if we can’t get this party rolling, eh?” she said playfully, placing the mic on it’s stand and singing with an energy reminiscent of the late great Janis Joplin.

“Well I’d say she’s got their attention.” Edge commented, Adam nodding and smiling proudly.

“She STOLE my MOTORCYCLE!” Larry said again.

They transitioned smoothly from ‘Light my fire’ into Cat’s only slightly modified version of the sexy ‘You can leave your hat on’ originally by Joe Cocker. As the sexy music started, she turned away from the audience, shrugging out of her leather jacket playfully, in time to the beat.

“Baby take off your coat… reeeal sloooow…” She sang, turning to smile back at the crowd over her shoulder, getting a huge audience reaction. The coat dropped to the floor, and with one fluid motion, timed precisely to the music, she kicked it out of the way. She turned and kept singing, her black tank top about two sizes too small but looking sexier than hell for it, bore the words ‘Biker chicks rule’.

“But you can leave your hat on!” she sang, kneeling at the front of the stage and gesturing to a prop handler who tossed her a fedora hat, reminiscent of the one everyone associated with Indiana Jones. She put it on, keeping it low over her eyes as she danced, except for the point at which she dropped slowly to lie on her back on the stage, hanging her head and shoulders off the front edge and kicking her legs in the air.

“If that were you, you’d have fallen off the stage by now.” Edge teased Bono, who had to laugh because it was true.

After she was back on her feet, she pointed to one of the men in the crowd closest to her, winked and crooked a finger at him for him to come closer. As the song ended she placed the hat on his head.

“This next song is another of our originals.” She told the audience as she took the bass from Shane, replacing the mic into it’s stand again. Shane, in turn, picked up a second electric guitar which was ready and waiting nearby. Krash struck the first chord and the energy seemed to have been turned up like the volume. The sound of the screaming guitars against the fast and wild drums was rock music at it’s purest, and then when Cat added the heavy, funky bass in it seemed to shake the very ground beneath them.

“Used to call me baby…” she sang, “Used to hold me tight… now I’m all alone in the cold dark night… No, I’m nobody’s baby…”

Backstage, Bono wondered aloud why he had not heard this song before, it was the best of their original compositions so far.

“She just wrote it yesterday.” Adam informed him.

“What?” Bono asked in disbelief. “No way.”

“Mmm-hmm. I heard her working on it and asked her about it.” He told him.

“I guess you inspire good work from her.” His friend replied playfully, and Adam chuckled.

“I can’t take the credit. It was something that reporter said the other day.” He told him with a shrug, and Bono nodded. He could see that; after all it had been implied that she was being given this opportunity strictly because she had a personal relationship to one of the band members. At first glance it might seem like a basic break-up song, but the words were double sided. It was more of a statement of independence.

“Thank you!” Cat was saying again, waiting as the crowd simmered down a bit. “So, we hear Boston is kind of an Irish town.” She said, making them go wild again. Her broad smile lit the place up, she was loving every minute of this performance and it showed. The four members of U2 were ready, now, waiting only for their intro band to wrap up their set. They were all watching as Shane put away the second guitar and, rather than taking the bass back from Cat, exhumed another instrument from a case behind the amplifier.

“Yeah, all right!” Cat agreed with the crowd’s enthusiastic reaction to the mention of the strong Irish heritage in Boston. “Well, we thought for you, we’d close with something special.” She told them as Shane turned around, drawing a long slender bow and resting the surprise instrument on his shoulder, holding it beneath his chin.

“What the feck is that?” Adam muttered.

“That would be a fiddle.” Edge replied to Adam’s surprised question.

“A fiddle. A fiddle?” He asked again, though he did recognize the instrument. He simply found it hard to believe what he was seeing.

“Yep.”

“There’s a couple of really great groups that’ve originated in Ireland.” Cat was saying. The audience cheered at this. “We’d like to play a little medley of sorts, something from two of them for you tonight.” She continued. “One I’m pretty sure a lot of you have heard of.” The audience cheered as she paused, fully expecting her to say U2.

“Yeah, that’s right. The Pogues.” She said, earning rolling laughter from the crowd. “The other song was written and recorded by a lesser known group known as ‘Great Big Sea’.” She informed them as Shane made the fiddle squeal impatiently. She nodded back to him and the music started, a wild, rock and roll beat mixed in with a traditional Irish jig making a unique and extremely energetic sound.

She had to change a few of the words to suit her gender, but no one seemed to notice, or if they did they didn’t care. They didn’t even seem to care that the group was a bunch of Tennessee rednecks singing Irish music. They sounded too good.

“We’re as stubborn as mules with our blood on fire, when we ain’t at Sunday Mass. We’ll look any man straight in his eyes and say ‘Kiss my Irish ass!’ you better kiss my Irish ass!” She sang when they reached the chorus, and this of course raised a strong reaction from the crowd who whooped and screamed and whistled enthusiastically. By the second time the chorus came around, the entire audience was shouting along with them, ‘Kiss my Irish ass!’.

“I bet there’s not but a drop o’ Irish blood in the lot of ‘em.” Larry complained. They were all a little flabbergasted at the groups tactics, but no one could argue that it was working. The crowd was riled up, the energy becoming an almost physical force.

They transitioned from this song into the chorus from the Pogues song ‘Sally Maclennane’ easily. The entire band joined in on singing this one, and after the first time through, they all encouraged the audience to sing along as well.

“We walked him to the station in the rain, We kissed him as we put him on the train And we sang him a song of times long gone Though we knew that we’d be seeing him again (far away) sad to say I must be on my way! So buy me beer and whiskey ’cause I’m going far away (far away) I’d like to think of me returning when I can To the greatest little boozer and to sally Maclennane!” They sang, and Cat stopped playing to approach the crowd and hold out the microphone, gesturing with her hands for them to take the lead.

The band played it one last time through, wrapping it up by raising the glasses and bottles they had nearby in a toast to the audience. The roar of the crowd enveloped them and Cat seemed to glow smiling and bowing.

She walked over and climbed back on the bike, but rather than starting it up, she turned and looked at the rest of the band, saying something the audience couldn’t hear. Shane put away his fiddle and picked the bass back up, grabbing a mic and tossing it over to Cat. She climbed off Larry’s bike and moved back to the front and center position on the stage.

“What are they…?” Bono asked, turning back around from the doorway when he heard the music start again. They all turned and stared at the monitor in disbelief as they began to play ‘Howlin’ at the moon’ by the Ramones.

“One more.” Cat told the audience with a wink.

“Sha-la-la-la, sha-la-la-la-la-la…” she sang, clapping her hands above her head, the audience following suit. “keep it glowing, glowing, glowing I'm not hurting anyone… keep it glowing, smoking, glowing! I'm howling at the moon! I took the law & threw it away, cause there's nothing wrong, it's just for play, there’s no law, no law anymore! I want to steal from the rich & give to the poor…”

“They’re only supposed to do five songs.” Edge stated as if he were the only one aware of that fact. Larry scowled at him as if to say ‘this is what I’ve been trying to tell you all along!’.

As they wrapped the song up this time, Cat climbed on the bike even before the final verse was over. As soon as she’d sang the last line, she turned the mic off and tossed it to one of the roadies. The engine roared to life over the final chords of the song and she descended on the ramp and along the walkway again, the crowd even louder than the motorcycle.

She pulled the bike into the backstage hallway outside the green room and stopped a few feet from where Larry stood. He stared at her, his arms crossed and his handsome face tightened down into a scowl. She had given up on trying to make friends with the man. She’d decided he just wasn’t going to like her, no matter what. It wasn’t worth her time and energy to keep trying to try and convince him to like her.

Instead, she’d decided, it was actually a lot of fun to get under his skin like this. She smiled sweetly at him and chuckled to herself as his frown actually grew deeper.

“That’s my bike.” He told her, his accent particularly thick when he was angry.

“Yeah, thanks.” She told him, stepping off the bike and tossing him the key. “Mine’s still in Memphis, but I arranged to have it sent ahead to Chicago.” She continued.

“How did you get the keys?” He asked, staring at the small metal object in his hand.

“You gave then to me.” She told him.

“No, I didn’t. I think I’d remember that.” He objected. She looked at him as if he’d gone completely loony.

“I guess somebody had a little too much to drink.” She said, turning and walking into the green room, hoping he didn’t see the smile she couldn’t restrain any longer. Larry turned to Adam, slack-jawed in absolute bewilderment.

“I didn’t… She’s fuckin’ with me, isn’t she?” He asked, racking his brain for any possible moment when this could’ve happened. Adam shrugged and smiled at his friend, knowing damn well that Cat had swiped the keys out of Larry’s jacket just moments before the show. “Isn’t she?” Larry asked again and Adam had turn away so he wouldn’t see him laughing.

“I’ve never seen an opening act do an encore, before.” Bono told Cat with a wicked grin. “You are something else.” He told her and she smiled at him.

“Yeah, I’ve been told that.” She told him, acting as if she were very bored with it all. The sparkle in her eye betrayed the truth, though. She was wound up, thrilled about the way the show had gone.

“Larry’s gonna have your hide.” Edge told her, half playing, half warning her.

“Why, he gave me the keys?” She asked batting her eyes innocently. Edge straightened his posture in shock at her words. As the smile slowly crept back across her face his eyes narrowed and he smiled back at her knowingly.

“So are we going to stand around here or are we going to put on a concert?” Adam called to his mates from the hallway.

“We’re coming, we’re coming.” Bono called back. He smiled and waved at Angel who was seated on the couch and typing furiously on a lap top computer. She glanced up and gave a barely discernable nod and went back to what she had been doing. Cat had to admit, she’d been having fun watching him try and draw her out these past couple of days. It drove him crazy that this pretty lady didn’t find him irresistible.

“Wait!” Cat called out, jogging to catch up to Adam just before he stepped out into the walkway. She threw herself into his arms, wrapping her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist, nearly toppling him. He laughed in surprise as he caught her and somehow managed to stay upright. As she looked into his eyes and at his unique smile, it occurred to her that she would do anything to make this man smile. She kissed him passionately, her hands in his hair as he continued to hold tight to her back with one arm, the other arm wrapped beneath her backside to keep her from sliding down.

“Oh, fer God’s sake!” They heard Larry groan behind them. “I don’t need to see that!” She felt Adam’s mouth pull up into a smile and she couldn’t help but smile too as he let her go and she slid down the length of his tall body.

“I’ll meet you backstage after the show.” She told him playfully, turning and walking away, her steps quick and light. She was practically dancing. And why shouldn’t she? She was on top of the world.

Last edited:
That was great!! I love how they totally stole the show! That was fantastic! Can't wait for more!
:applaud: :dancing: :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom