Writer's Club continuation story 1 - "Snowed In"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamOutLoud13

Blue Crack Addict
I suggested this in the other thread, and was encouraged to go ahead and post it:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Okay, I thought of something last night. If everyone's up for the standard continuation story, I have a plot idea that could get us started.

It's slightly inspired by RavenBlue's fic 'Through the Sleet and Driving Snow', but mostly by the sort of weather we've been having around here.... basically I invision our boys getting stuck in a blizzard and having to stop for shelter at a cabin.... where a handful of lovely ladies happen to be staying :flirt:

I've already got the first chapter in my head, ready to be written, if any one else thinks it's a good idea :) I haven't got anything specific in mind for the era its set in, or the number of ladies/personalities of them. I figure I'll just let it flow and let subsequent writers take care of that :lol:

Who's game for it?

I hope nobody's miffed that I sorta took this into my own hands, but I was excited about getting this thing going, and seeing where we all take it :)

I wrote up the first chapter last night. It's just under 2 pages (single spaced) in my program... and that's 1236 words. I figure we can be a bit easy going about this. I'll post the first chapter, and whoever comes along first that wants to write the second one can call dibs on it. Then that person has a few days to post it, with a length guideline of say, 1000-1500 words, and when they finish, they can post it in this thread, and then someone else can come along and call dibs on the third chapter, and so on and so forth. Sound good?

Let's just make sure to all be fair and let everyone get a chance to write. Remember, this is all for fun, and maybe we'll learn something from eachother.

Here's the first chapter. I left the era ambiguous, as I'm not really particular about it, but considering the girls recognize the band, it's probably safe to say that it's not too early in their career.

Chapter One:

Although Bono was not pleased with the current situation, he was pleased that for once, he wasn’t being blamed for the trouble. He glanced sideways at Edge, who for once, didn’t look completely zen. His thin fingers were gripping the steering wheel just a little too tightly. His angular jaw was clenched, and worry showed in his green eyes.

“We should’ve just stayed in the city where we belonged. But nooo, you just had to see the fooking nature center.” Larry’s venom was directed at Edge from the backseat of the truck, where he sat with his muscular arms crossed across his chest, physically displaying his annoyance.

Edge spoke softly. “The storm started sooner than it was expected to. And if Bono hadn’t gotten us lost two time, we would’ve been back by now.”

Bono swore under his breath. Of course it came back around to him.

Edge’s eyes flicked sideways toward Bono, and then back to the road. “As fun as playing the blame game is, it would probably be a better idea if you used some of that energy to help me watch the road.”

What road?” Larry asked, but sat up and leaned toward the windshield, doing his bit to help look.

The snow was already thick on the ground, making it hard to discern where the road ended and the rough ground alongside it began. The snow still fell heavy in the air. It danced and swirled in the bright headlights of the truck, driven by the heavy winds. These were blizzard conditions, and it was growing more unsafe by the moment.

Edge hadn’t said anything to the others yet, but he knew that sooner or later, they would have to stop. Either it would become much too dangerous to continue driving, or they’d run out of gas. The thicker the snow on the ground and in the air grew, the slower he had to drive. They were already crawling along at a snail’s pace, and using more gas than they should’ve been. There was no way they could make it back to the warmth and safety of their hotel in the city at this pace.

This morning, despite the warning of the impending blizzard, heading to the nature center had seemed like a great idea. Edge couldn’t help it, he had a soft spot for science. But they’d gotten lost twice on the way there, and perhaps lingered too long learning about the spotted owl in its native habitat, and then the snow had started almost as soon as they began home. Now they were in the middle of nowhere, in a heavy snowstorm, with no signs of civilization in sight. Things weren’t looking good.

For the last half hour, Edge had kept his eyes peeled on both sides of the road, looking for any place that they might be able to stop and find shelter. Finally he spotted a medium-sized, log cabin, sitting low to the ground, about fifty yards back from the road. Lights burned brightly in the windows, and smoke rose cheerily from the chimney. This was their only chance. Edge just hoped whoever was inside would be friendly.

“Listen guys. We can’t keep on like this, it’s not safe. There’s a cabin over there, we’re gonna have to stop until this snow lets up.”

Larry raised his eyebrows. “What if they won’t let us in?”

“They have to let us in. People in these parts have a sort of neighbourliness to them. They look after each other.” Bono said, matter-of-factly.

“How do you know that? And besides, we’re not their neighbours.”

“Bono’s right.” Edge said. “Besides, there’s nowhere else for us to go.”

Adam spoke up then. “Well, at least if they recognize Bono, they’ll know we’re not ax-murderers.”

“If they recognize Bono, they’ll know what an arse he is.” Larry said, the corners of his mouth turning up.

“Hey!” Bono said indignantly, but Edge and Adam were already laughing along with Larry, and after a moment, Bono smiled too.

Edge slowed down to a halt on the side of the road and peered around. He knew the driveway to the cabin should be somewhere around here, but the snow on the ground made it impossible to see. Finally he spotted the mailbox, the driveway would surely run alongside it. Edge turned the wheel and began turning the truck onto what he was sure was the driveway, but immediately felt the front wheels sink into what could only be a snow and ice filled ditch. He’d missed the driveway entirely.

“Shit!” Edge swore, turning the wheel and slipping the truck into reverse. But the truck didn’t move an inch, it was completely stuck.

“Nice one, The Edge.” Bono said, patting him on the shoulder.

Edge shook his head and unbuckled his seatbelt. Looks like we’re footing it. But it’s not far. Bundle up before you get out though, it can’t be pleasant walking in that mess.

---------

Inside the cabin, Kaylee had just finished putting a fresh log onto the fire, when she heard a noisy banging on the front door. She had no idea who that could possibly be, especially in this weather, unless for some reason one of the other girls had gone outside and managed to lock herself out. She stood, brushing her hands off on her jeans and went to open the door.

A burst of snow flew in the door as soon as she opened it. Followed by four men, bundled heavily in dark coats, already growing white with snow. They courteously knocked their feet against the threshhold to try and lessen the snow they tracked in, but Kaylee knew it wouldn’t be much use. Enough had already blown in that she knew the floor would be wet no matter what.

“I’m so sorry about this.” One of the men was saying. Kaylee thought his voice sounded a bit familiar, although she couldn’t place it, and with the scarf covering the lower part of his face, she had no idea who he might be. “We were trying to get back to the city, but the storm caught us.” He paused, glancing over his shoulder at the closed door. “I missed the driveway by a couple of feet turning in.”

“A couple of feet?!” One of the others asked. This one had an unmistakable Irish accent. “Try eight feet.”
The one who’d been speaking to her rolled his green eyes. “My truck got stuck. I hope you don’t mind...” he started, pulling at his scarf.

“Well..” Kaylee shrugged. “We don’t have much room here, but I’d hate to be stuck out in the storm myself. Hang your coats on the hooks there and try to get warm. I’ve got a fire going here in the living room.”

“Thanks.” A third of the men said, pulling the hood of his coat down. His voice was definitely recognizable, and when Kaylee got a look at his face, she knew exactly who he was. She just couldn’t figure out what he was doing here.

Just then Tricia came out from the kitchen holding a bag of marshmallows for roasting over the fire. “What’s all that noise?” She asked, making her way toward the foyer where the four men were shrugging out of their snow-crusted outerwear. When she saw who they were, she gasped and dropped the marshmallows. U2 were standing five feet from her, real as roses.

To whoever grabs the coming chapters... feel free to add more girls. There's definitely more than two of them hanging around that cabin :wink:

Good job, DOL!! We risked never to start without someone to be brave and take the next step. :yes:

Can I volunteer for the next chapter? An idea to add to the basic plot is just forming in my mind...:evil:

I certainly have lots to learn from all of you :reject: especially in English....

:wave:
Very excited about this!!!
It will be so much fun to see where each of your talents take the story.

DOL- :up: so far- like the descriptions and conversations between them so far. Of course, Bono gets dissed all the time-love it!!!! Larry with the sarcasm....love it.

:corn:

Back
Top Bottom