Is it just me....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daisybean

Rock n' Roll Doggie, FOB
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eye
... or is sometimes Bono's voice just too much, too powerful.

See yesterday I was half joking with Lilly that he voice was just too powerful after listening to an orchestra version of One.

Whenever I listen to it I just become so overwhelmed and I always end up crying by the end of it. :sad:

I know it sounds really lame but there are just some songs that I can't listen to because they are too much. Like I have put a temporary ban on listening to that version of One and the live version of Kite (the album version doesn't bother me as much).

I know what you mean about the live version of kite. Every time I listen to it I get tears in my eyes. The 'I'm a man not a child' bit gets me every time. Such emotional power. :yes:

Hey Daisy, I can't listen to the live version of One from DC night 2 without crying. See my best friend had just told his family he was gay, and his father is a pastor, so needless to say his parents were not supportive, and in Bono's speech he was talking about AIDS in Africa, and how America should step up, cause Europe is waiting for us...and then he started talking about the bible, and how, there are thousands of verses where Jesus told us to help those in need, and then out of the blue, he seemed to get rather emotional, and he said "Not ONCE did Jesus ever mention whether someone was Gay or Straight!" then he kinda pauses and goes on, but the emotion behind his voice just hit me in the heart, and then he followed that speech with One, and I lost it, right there in the middle of the croud, I was crying, but the cool thing about U2 fans...two total strangers put their arms around me and just held me while the song was playing. So yeah...I totally identify...

The Feesh

Daisy when I show up at my friend's house who lives an hour away I am always tear logged and the first thing I say is "is it NORMAL to be crying just from listening to a bootleg?!!"

I think the answer is yes :)

There are just some songs- and mainly Bad is the one that pushes me over the edge- that make me cry when I hear him sing them.. or Kite, like if you really LISTEN to him and just let yourself fall inside that song- it's heart wrenching and very emotional. I wonder if other bands do this for other people? I just think BOno lives on such a high emotional plane and to know him and to know the music you go there too.

Fishy.. that is a :sad: & beautiful story. Beautiful. I cried my eyes out when I heard Bad for the first time live in Boston- not expecting it- just *SHAKING* and begging Edge to skip the song lol! I knew I couldn't take it.... :):(:sad::heart::bono:

The very first time I heard SIAM, I was bawling my eyes out after the first verse (I was going though some stuff in my life and that songe just spoke to me). :sad:

It's a good thing though ... i want music to move me in that way.

I get all emotional when I hear SBS and Bad. The reason why I get emotional over SBS is because my gram was born in Belfast and she has told me of some horrorific stories from growing up there. So I know what u mean.

yeah daisy, i know what you mean.

one from sarajevo....i mean...i was driving in indiana once to get firewood...and i almost lost it on that one...when he totally loses his voice and they help him out. i mean, imagine being there!

i've shared this many times...but it was stuck in a moment that got me. but it wasn't the power in bono's voice that saved me. it was the weakness in it. the last chorus where edge is singing falsetto and bono comes in with a staggered entrance and his voice is crackly...that was always where i lost it...just sobbed uncontrollably. it conveyed such immediacy, i mean it was amazing to me.

another example: walk on witht he hallelujah's in the end. i get goosebumps everytime. so beautiful and fitting they are.

the other day...actually i think i was talking to you daisy, i was listening to pop and i got that "damn, this band is GREAT!" feeling. like moreso than usual, when you just pause and realize their talent (aka *fuzzies*).

i think their music is a lot like my favorite quote from franz kafka:

i think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us....we need books that effect us like a disaster.

i think that the same is easily said about music.

The song that really makes me lose it is Tomorrow (the version on the October album). The grief in Bono's voice is simply overwhelming.

[color=royal blue]1. KAAAAAAWWWWWW Fishy

2. Yeah that orchestra "One" and then there's that mondo good live version of WOWY. Again the power is so great it makes me say "mondo..." again. Also WGRYWH is a really personal song to me and it gets me almost everytime...mostly when it comes on the radio bc then it kinda surprises me and I'm like GAAAAH.

Yeah Bono works that Vox.

Also on PopMex during "One" when you can tell he's kinda chokin up......gaw we lost it.

Certain versions of "Kite" and "Stay" I've heard too.....KILLIN me, Boner.
[/color]

OMG I still cannot watch the PopMex one without getting that choked up feeling in my throat!

It is so sad that he has to mourn in front of the world.

And the first part when he says he's sorry...

:sad:

FishNeedsABicycle said:
OMG I still cannot watch the PopMex one without getting that choked up feeling in my throat!

It is so sad that he has to mourn in front of the world.

And the first part when he says he's sorry...

:sad:

:sad: KAW I REMEMBER THAT!!!!!!!! We watched it like 3 times lol
Awwwwww

Ana said:
SBS always gets me goosebumps...

And I dunno why but I love Bono's voice on the Unforgettable Fire album. He sings with so much power and with so much energy I feel like he's kinda outta of this world.

[color=royal blue]MLK

REALLY loud

OMD
[/color]

Ana said:
There's no other explanation, Moaner: Bono is a fallen angel...

:heart: :bono: :heart:

[color=royal blue]*LOVEY eyes fer that*

Kaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww want to hold the Bono
[/color]:sad:

I never listen to WOWY or One because I just can't handle it!
Seriously, I love the songs, but I just can't listen to them.
They're just soooooo emotional :sad: :sad: :sad:

Oh Oh! and If God will Send His Angels, that makes me cry too..........

Oh and DIRTY DAY!! OMG, it really makes you think..........

Last edited:
If I had a boot from my second Atlanta Elevation I'd be a wreck. I cried when they did Walk On, when they did One, and when they did New York. I have two sisters who live in NYC, and one of them was living in Lower Manhattan on 9/11. The show was less than three months later. I was a wreck on 9/11 making sure everyone was OK, and the song at the show took me back and I just felt all kinds of emotion. It really was too much! We got out of the arena and about half of us were crying our eyes out!!

Ana said:

And I dunno why but I love Bono's voice on the Unforgettable Fire album. He sings with so much power and with so much energy I feel like he's kinda outta of this world.

AMEN! I *loveth* UF and Bad and .....

Promenade!!!!!! <--- a constant contestant for me #1 fave U2 song ever, ALWAYS in my top 5

WOWY, and not just because of Bono's voice. The intensity of the whole song just hypnotizes me, especially the R&H version. And SBS also from R&H. Somebody mentioned Tomorrow earlier, Bono's voice and feeling on that song totally get me. Stay gives me goosebumps... God, I could go on and on... the man is truly amazing! :heart: :bono: :heart:

stay makes me feel really mellancholy....hits a bit too close to home.....

i listened to stuck in a moment in the plane on the way back from germany and was sobbing......but that's another story......

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Promenade!!!!!! <--- a constant contestant for me #1 fave U2 song ever, ALWAYS in my top 5

OMIGOSH!!!!! I *loveth* that song! It's so simple and with little structure but definitely has the power to move me.

It's impressive what a song can do for and to you :)

*U2 fuzzies*:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Lilly said:

i think their music is a lot like my favorite quote from franz kafka:

i think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us....we need books that effect us like a disaster.

i think that the same is easily said about music.

Amen to that one!

And though it's become sort of cliche U2, "Bad" still gets me everytime...

And I thought I would share this with you in this thread: As my mom and I were driving in the car (she let me listen to U2 whenever I was driving), I would frequently tear up...good thing I was wearing sunglasses

*sigh* Loveth U2!

Back
Top Bottom