Will Bono finally show more maturity and self-control on the Vertigo Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too difficult to respond to all the posts individually since they are plentiful so let me just try to summarize.

People may try to falsely characterize me as a hit-and-run fellow but I hardly am. I am always ready to face the music with my thread ideas.

And it seems based on this thread so far, I may have made a grave miscalculation. After more hardcore and historically rememberful fans here have come up with more facts, I realize that my theory of Bono's rise to stage-bully during the JT Tour holds no merit whatsoever.

Based on the facts presented, it turns out that Bono's misdemeanors have occured as far back as the Boy Tour.

Also, I have strongly mentioned "unreported" incidents while hinting that my original post represents the tip of the iceberg. I was somewhat right when someone posted her how Bono hit a spectator with a mic stand. This incident could not have been reported if not for a fan who actually was present in that concert.

So while I may have been terribly mistaken as to the genesis of Bono's quasi-criminal activities onstage (which actually predates the Joshua Tree Tour), I still stand by my humble prediction that these sparks of anger will not manifest itself as frequently as it did in previous tour.

I feel Bono will have a renewed sense of maturity and self-control with this tour.

Cheers,

J

corner said:
I'm not taking sides here folks, but isn't it more INTERESTING when a contraversial topic is thrown up?

Yes. It is. It would be damned boring all the topics were just sucking up.

Anyway, in response to the original post, I don't see that the examples given are all that bad. It seems to me that some fans were acting like arseholes and needed a bit of slapping around. I imagine the folks around the offending parties were happy to have them chastised (I would be). I don't particularly like people getting up on stage (although I imagine it's a thrill for them), as yes, I am a cranky bitch and I don't go to any show to see Joe (or Jane) Blow on stage, I go to see the band. So I actually prefer the band not encouraging (even tacitly) that type of action.

As for the "family" (ie, band) arguments -- hell, those are kind of fun. I don't trust any band that gets along too well. Sometimes the shows where one band member spends the whole show facing the back (or wings) of the stage with a muleish look on his face can be incredibly amusing. :) Makes me laugh anyway.

jick said:
Back in the early to mid-80s, Bono was a picture of a fan-centered performer. He'd climb scaffoldings (1983 Festival) or just climb to the fans to bridge the artist-fan gap onstage (1985 Live Aid).

But as U2 hit the "jackpot" with the Joshua Tree, it seems Bono let his exponential gain in popularity get into his head. He suddenly became so sensitive to slight fan distractions, he became nitpicky, and to some extent arrogant. From being a fan-centered performer, he had turned into a self-centered performer.

Chicago, April 29, 1987 (Joshua Tree Tour) - During the performance of Springhill Mining Disaster, Bono scolds the crowd during mid-song "we're not the Beatles here so stop whistling." (Since when was whistling prohibited during concerts?)

Osaka, Japan, December 1989 (Lovetown Tour) - In the middle of People Get Ready, Bono loses his temper as he tells a fan (who is probably Japanese and knows little English): "One more piece of shit out of you and you're out of here. Leave him for one more then he's fucking out of here." (Perhaps it was just a misunderstanding or a language barrier? Japanese are known to be among the most polite audiences)

Las Vegas, April 1997 (Popmart Tour) - There is something wrong with the initial start of Staring At The Sun. Bono gets into a argument with Mullen, calling it a family row. And after they don't get into an understanding, Bono just angrily strums the guitar at his own tempo and Mullen has no choice but to come in and play to Bono's own tempo. (One of the most butchered versions of Staring At The Sun, and the prime reason why they changed it to just an acoustic bit)

Mexico City, December 1997 (Popmart Tour) - After the performance of a song, Bono scolds a fan for putting a laser pointer to his face. "Get that fucking light of my face," he mutters in a show that was broadcast in pay-per-view for the whole world to see in the flesh Bono's anger management issues. (If Bono were really singing from his heart, he'd probably be closing his eyes and not noticing those things. Also, if Bono were moving around the stage, it would be difficult to keep the pointer in his face anyway, so why the harsh treatment to the fan?)

Minneapolis, 2001 (Elevation Tour) - This is the legendary "Stormy Night In Minneapolis" show where Bono shows how stormy he is. During the performance of Mysterious Ways, a fan simply joked to Bono that he wasn't paid by U2 his royalties for a song idea which U2 supposedly plagiarized. Of course this fan was talking nonesense, but does that give Bono the authority to hit him with an open fist? (There are things such as an abusive husband or abusive father, but Bono is simply an abusive frontman!)

Slane Caste 2001 (Elevation Tour) - A fans throws water to Bono, and then he sing to his with expletive langugage "all I want is fucking you." This is one of the most sacred and serious U2 songs - that talks about unrequited love, permanent love, married love --- yet Bono murders the song by adding the f-word rant just because some fan ticked him off. (What's next? He'll sing "one fucking love, one fucking life"!)

So it seems that every tour since 1987 hasn't been incident-free. Bono has always had his fair share of anger management issues, and directed to fans. Most fans are now thinking that this is just a natural part of the U2 live experience. But it isn't. Pre-1987, Bono wasn't like that.

Now is a different ballgame. Bono is already in his 40's, he already has 4 kids, and he has been exposed more to the African problem. Will all these factors mellow down Bono and lead him to a renewed sense of self-control and more maturity? I honestly think so.

I do think in this tour, Bono will not behvave badly. I also think he will be slightly influenced by The Mullen Apology, which is the new benchmark in artist-to-fan relationships. Bono will no longer see himself as an untouchable onstage but he will now be one with the fans, just as Mullen was one with the fans during the Mullen Apology incident.

I am really excited for the Vertigo Tour. I think Bono will finally make amends for his past behavior and will even reach out to the fans more, instead of alienating them with his obsence language and hot temper.

So what do you guys think? Do you agree with my assessment that Bono will be more considerate to the fans this tour? Opinions? Thoughts?

Cheers,

J

You've picked out a handful of instances in nearly twenty years of touring as examples of Bono's bad behavior. I can think of a number of things I've done TODAY that are a little unbecoming of me. Bono's a human being--cut him some slack.

At least U2 shows up on time!

The only incident that I thought was a little wild was the Save The Yuppies thing in San Francisco during the Joshua Tree Tour, when some guy held up a sign saying "SF". Bono forgot where they were and thought it was a supporter of Sinn Fein (the militant wing of the IRA). Bono went off on him, and it was kind of bizarre.

I am suprised that no one has mentioned the microphone throwing incident of '92. Bono tried to count into Pride twice at the Vancouver show and both times the tune didn't start. Bono threw his mike back towards Larry, while the rest of the band started playing. After the song they went backstage, and when they came back Bono thanked Larry for letting him be in his band. There is a bootleg recording of it that is kind of interesting. I believe some songs were left out of that show too.

I thought the reason he toned down on climbing scaffoldings, jumping into the crowds, was the other band members felt it was becoming a safety issue for him, and the fans, who could get hurt following him.

Of all the incidents mentioned, nothing of Bono/Edge/Larry arguing with Adam or taking a swing at him...only one time I read of an actual argument, and Adam just said to Bono, "if you don't like how I'm doing this, do it yourself." Guess that's why he's the "diplomat of U2" as Bono says.

Bono just has a temper, compared to other frontmen/women, he's not that bad.

Perhaps you should read about other bands, other singers in bands, you'll find Bono's a saint compared to some people.

Last edited:
Hey fans - When I was lucky enough to see the band in Toronto in March of 1985 they had a kid come up on stage and play guitar with them. I've also heard bootlegs from that tour where it happened more than once.

Slane Castle - as others have mentioned, he is clearly smiling when he says to the fan who threw the water "all I want is fucking you!" Go watch the DVD again.

As for the other "non-incidents" if some asshole fan is interfering with the bands performance or bullying people in the crowd, I'm glad Bono did something about it.

It's not like he took a dump on the stage and then flung it into the audience for chrissakes. :rolleyes:

jick said:
Minneapolis, 2001 (Elevation Tour) - This is the legendary "Stormy Night In Minneapolis" show where Bono shows how stormy he is. During the performance of Mysterious Ways, a fan simply joked to Bono that he wasn't paid by U2 his royalties for a song idea which U2 supposedly plagiarized. Of course this fan was talking nonesense, but does that give Bono the authority to hit him with an open fist? (There are things such as an abusive husband or abusive father, but Bono is simply an abusive frontman!)

Out of curiousity, I looked this incident up at "u2tours.com" and this is what someone posted:

"Bono went up into the GC seats on stage right, and of course the fans mobbed him. They wouldn’t let him go, and this one guy kept him in a bearhug/headlock, prompting Bono to slap him. He may have said something to Bono, I’m not sure. When Bono returned to the stage he bowed over at the area and apologized several times, and then said “All right? All right”, or something to that effect. So apparently the guy wasn’t mad, but still an unfortunate incident."

A few other people posted that the guy was also pulling Bono's hair... Sheesh!

ElectricalVoice said:
Very, very interesting, jick. I think that an old habit is hard to break. He will still use bad words, kick beach balls, get angry and rock! The Mullen Apology will not have this influence on Bono. Beach balls will still be kicked around, I fear.

:huh:

I agree.

I thought part of Bono's appeal was his temper. The passion he has.

Besides, I'd have a fit if someone were pointing a lazer light in my face!!!

Most of the incidents were things that provoked him. I saw him get upset a few times on the last tour because there were quite a few lazer pointers pointed at them. Not only is that down right rude but it can be dangerous. How the heck do they know it's not someone with a lazer on a gun?

I've also seen Bono get pissed off when people fight or push people at shows.

Things like that aren't a "lack of maturity".

Besides, all four of them are human and are going to have a bad night here and there. With hundreds of shows week after week I'm sure they can't always be on their best behavor.

And not to be mean, J, but you keep posting things about stuff that happens in concerts. It's a bit hard to interrupt stuff when you are really there. Seeing a bootleg or reading an account of something is one sided, at best.

the examples aren't a big deal. first off because Bono was having fun with most of them. Anyway, it's call being in a rock band....

I read somewhere that one time on ZooTV Bono threw the mike at Larry for messing up the drumming part in "Pride."

And in Vanity fair last year or some article, Bono said something about one of their early gigs, where he threw something into the crowd after the show. It was a guitar or something, and Edge literally punched him behind stage.

These guys have been on the road with each other for like 25 years. Their like family, and families tend to get in arguements.

if I was on the road EVERY night with the same guys without my wife and kids, I'd probably be in bad mood here and there.

I can't ban this person because despite his utmost efforts, he keeps trying to make some positive spin on his negative comments... thus the site administrator claims that he provides a positive influence on the site, even though 90% of interference wants to kill him after ever post he makes.

Cheers,

The Mod Staff

jick said:
Too difficult to respond to all the posts .......
...I feel Bono will have a renewed sense of maturity and self-control with this tour.

Cheers,

J

Is your life one big coutroom Jick?

Last edited:
RademR said:
the examples aren't a big deal. first off because Bono was having fun with most of them. Anyway, it's call being in a rock band....

I read somewhere that one time on ZooTV Bono threw the mike at Larry for messing up the drumming part in "Pride."

And in Vanity fair last year or some article, Bono said something about one of their early gigs, where he threw something into the crowd after the show. It was a guitar or something, and Edge literally punched him behind stage.

Thanks for adding this to my allegedly "short" list of U2 misdemeanors. I have just cited some examples but it looks like people are contributing more and more. So it looks like the list is continuing to grow and grow. But I think that is all water under the bridge now. Being a middle-aged man now, I expect Bono to have more self-control and anger management onstage.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Thanks for adding this to my allegedly "short" list of U2 misdemeanors. I have just cited some examples but it looks like people are contributing more and more. So it looks like the list is continuing to grow and grow.
I'm seeing a lot of felonies here friend Jick, not misdemeanors. In fact I think you've gathered enough evidence on this thread alone to go to the authorities and have Bono locked up and the rest of the band at least under house arrest. Get to it man.
Cheers,
H2

Hewson said:
I'm seeing a lot of felonies here friend Jick, not misdemeanors. In fact I think you've gathered enough evidence on this thread alone to go to the authorities and have Bono locked up and the rest of the band at least under house arrest. Get to it man.
Cheers,
H2

:laugh: :lol: :wink:

Jick is definitely da man for da job...he could do a citizens arrest by going undercover, as Jacknife Lee's Successor...:p

jick said:

I don't see the connection with your question and how it relates to me assertions about Bono.

Cheers,

J

EXACTLY!!! I feel like I'm in the dock being questioned..

To the boy who started this thread:

Why don't you just point out 10 examples of GREAT BEHAVIOUR fromo Bono during his music career?

Come on! We are waiting for it.
For the first time in your life.... show the positive side of something, it looks like you are always trying to see the dark, bad, negative stuff in everything

I bet his not able to do this. He is too short minded, too limited

Popmartijn said:

:lol:
This one is classic!
:lmao:

One to treasure...

:shifty:

:laugh:

Thanks Popmartijn. I had fun writing it. So maybe this guy Jick likes to stir up the shit - you know, spin the top and watch it go - but really, can that be what someone gets their enjoyment from? Sitting in his recliner like Comic Book Guy riling up a bunch of excited fans? Maybe he too is huge, superior, and has never been laid. Have fun at the next Star Wars premier. And make sure your mother is available to give you a lift home.

"Cheers!"

Jim said:

EXACTLY!!! I feel like I'm in the dock being questioned..

Actually, you somehow guessed my profession correctly. ;)

I commend you for that.

Sorry for being off-topic.

Cheers,

J

I hope he shows no self-control when it comes to getting up close and personal with the female fans :drool: :up: :lmao:

lauren430 said:
I hope he shows no self-control when it comes to getting up close and personal with the female fans :drool: :up: :lmao:

And I'll be ready and waiting should that self-control go out the window. :flirt:

Back
Top Bottom