Two Encores?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
Does anyone else think that's just retarded?

I mean, aren't encores supposed to be surprises?

Having two every night and maybe three (crazy!) on some nights seems overdone to me.

I can understand if the guys need a break but why not just a 6-7 song main encore?

Does that make sense or am I just spewing shit here?

2 encores are amazing :drool:

Just like they used to do in Popmart .... :rockon:

Actually this was discussed recently on CBC radio. Encores and standing ovations are no longer serving their original purpose.

Performers were requested encores and given ovations based on a truly outstanding performance. Not every artist got one. These days it's like tipping, they expect it regardless of quality of performance. I'm not saying U2 doesn't deserve ovations or requests for encores. But even mediocrity receives these accolades.

Well, it's fun to watch people get up and leave after the first encore.

trevster2k said:

Performers were requested encores and given ovations based on a truly outstanding performance. Not every artist got one.

Now it's reversed - on a super-special night, U2 will NOT leave the stage and Bono will say something like "let's just skip the part where we leave and come back again..." :wink:

I've never minded the encores b/c 1) they leave the stage for all of 30 seconds (we don't really stand there waiting) and 2) the songs in each encore fit together, but not so well with the main set or other encore so it's a safe way to break them up without having to devise a transition that could suck.

As for tipping, I do tip based on performance (10% for starters and more if they were nice, checked refills often, or had to do something special for my meal). :reject:

Back
Top Bottom