The Official: North America got Fucked Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vorsprung said:

a pub isn't quite the same thing as an arena....

Agreed, however I'm not the one who brought up that nobody is asking to see U2 at Nags Head, I merely took that ball and ran with it since I was being told people are apparently clamoring for the return of PopMart and by contrast nobody wants to see the band play in a Pub.

JR#9 said:

We get the same huge video screens showing the guys, we got the beaded backdrop which formed a giant video screen...

You obviously haven't seen the pictures of the screen for the outdoor show. It dwarfs the indoor production....

Hewson said:
Agreed, however I'm not the one who brought up that nobody is asking to see U2 at Nags Head, I merely took that ball and ran with it since I was being told people are apparently clamoring for the return of PopMart and by contrast nobody wants to see the band play in a Pub.

Not apparantly. Fact.

Whilst I'm glad I'll be seeing the stadium production, it's a pity they couldn't have mixed up the venue sizes in all the countries, i.e. play arenas and stadiums, that way nearly everyone's happy. I know this causes serious issues for the tour management but other bands manage it.

achtung y'all said:

You obviously haven't seen the pictures of the screen for the outdoor show. It dwarfs the indoor production....

Who gives a shit that it's bigger...all that means is that they did that knowing you won't be able to the the F'in BAND!!!!

Vorsprung said:
@JR#9

I'd rather be at the back of the crowd during the Elevation Slane DVD gig than at any seat in Boston (and their Elevation DVD gig)

Now that's something you don't understand....that's fine....I don't understand you either (you're a woman right??? :wink: )

What a JO.

After the 1st couple of rows of people you can't see jack shit at slane.

If you want to watch video screens just buy the F'in DVD for christs sake.

I pay to actually see the band play.Bottom line is if your not right upfront at one of these stadium shows your watching the whole F;in thing on TV!!!!!!

And on top of that the sound SUCKS outside.

I'd love to hear you try and tell me that the sound doesn't blow in stadiums and that the sound isn't 10x cripser in an arena.

And while you'd rather be last row at Slane for elevation rather than Boston that's fine, but 10/27 was THE show last tour by everybodies admission and thus that's why their is a song written about how insane MSG was on that night.

As I stated before JR#9, you don't understand.

I don't need a clear close up view of the band where I can see what colour shoelaces they use. If I want that, I can buy the DVD. It's about a total sensory experience and it's about the crowd....it's about the crowd going wild while there are four men playing.
Also the video screens are cool to watch sometimes, but most of the time (even at the very back) I look at the stage. The stage lighting and the little ants on the stage performing, making the crowd go wild. A geat band as u2 can maken an enitre stadium go wild making it all blend together to one big spectavle that's bigger than the sum of it parts (the stage, the lights, the music, the performance, the crowd)

I saw ZooTV in arenas and the Outside Broadcast, a total of 5 shows. The sensory overload and excitement level were off the charts and it was the greatest show on earth, imo.

That said, having seen Vertigo 4x in NA, I really don't feel fucked. Being close up was another incredible experience for me. I'm glad to have experienced both the big spectacle and the intimate show. Of course ZooTV in arenas gave you both...

But really, I agree with Miroslava. I just don't dare complain about 4 shows on 1 leg when some people will never get 1 show in their whole life. I mean, really!

Last edited:
Vorsprung said:
As I stated before JR#9, you don't understand.

I don't need a clear close up view of the band where I can see what colour shoelaces they use. If I want that, I can buy the DVD. It's about a total sensory experience and it's about the crowd....it's about the crowd going wild while there are four men playing.
Also the video screens are cool to watch sometimes, but most of the time (even at the very back) I look at the stage. The stage lighting and the little ants on the stage performing, making the crowd go wild. A geat band as u2 can maken an enitre stadium go wild making it all blend together to one big spectavle that's bigger than the sum of it parts (the stage, the lights, the music, the performance, the crowd)

:bow: This is exactly my opinion too...

Since we got pictures of the new stege, I've noticed a few things here:
- a huge majority can't wait to see the new show
- a huge majority of US fans wish to have this stadium version of the tour in US
- very few European fans and very few US fans (would) prefer the arena shows
- many fans were dissapointed with the Arena Vertigo stage... calling it Elevation Part2... now they can't say that
- the tone of of the posts of those few - lets call them - "stadium-bashing" people is clearly pointing to ---> jealousy
--------
Arena:
+ closer to the band
+ more shows in one place
- less people can get tickets
- less people can see the band (even after 4 shows it's only 60.000)
- first leg - 539.800 people
Stadium:
+ bigger
+ louder
+ THE true U2 show... SHOW!!
+ spectacle
+ more tickets
+ more happy fans (60.000 each show, even 250.000 in some places)
+ a.k.a. a huge wild party
- for some people the band memebrs will be in ant-size
+ ...but it doesn't matter because they are on the screens
+ 2nd leg - 1.957.200 people (compared to 2.1mln of all 3 legs of ElevationTour)

Last edited:
I like spectacles. :drool: I like big screens. :drool: I like Zooropa and Pop. :drool:

But that said, I don't think North America got completely fucked. Personally speaking, I'm just glad that I have tickets! Never mind that they're not GA and that U2 will probably look like tiny specs from where I am (despite them being lower level tickets). There's plenty of people here who didn't get tickets, so I consider myself lucky. Besides, the 12th of September will be my first U2 concert ever, so I couldn't less care if the screen and theatrics were massive or not.

And you never know, they might decide to change up the indoor show slightly by the third leg.

bathiu said:

Since we got pictures of the new stege, I've noticed a few things here:
- a huge majority can't wait to see the new show
- a huge majority of US fans wish to have this stadium version of the tour in US
- very few European fans and very few US fans (would) prefer the arena shows
- many fans were dissapointed with the Arena Vertigo stage... calling it Elevation Part2... now they can't say that
- the tone of of the posts of those few - lets call them - "stadium-bashing" people is clearly pointing to ---> jealousy
--------
Arena:
+ closer to the band
+ more shows in one place
- less people can get tickets
- less people can see the band (even after 4 shows it's only 60.000)
- first leg - 539.800 people
Stadium:
+ bigger
+ louder
+ THE true U2 show... SHOW!!
+ spectacle
+ more tickets
+ more happy fans (60.000 each show, even 250.000 in some places)
+ a.k.a. a huge wild party
- for some people the band memebrs will be in ant-size
+ ...but it doesn't matter because they are on the screens
+ 2nd leg - 1.957.200 people (compared to 2.1mln of all 3 legs of ElevationTour)

:yes:

achtung y'all said:

Thought I'd help you out. http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129796&perpage=15&pagenumber=1 is a current thread discussing whether Vertigo leg 2 will top Zoo TV or PopMart. Can't see those ones discussing Elevation or JT.

I know about that thread, and it's silly. Vertigo is Vertigo, you can't compare it to other stadium tours. And psst, there were threads whether Vertigo is better than Elevation and where Vertigo fits compared to other U2 tours.

Popmart of course gets vigiriously defended here, but in reality it wasn't all that. (bad performances and attendances on the first leg)
You know, there was a time when U2 would play to *gasp* less than 50 000 people a night and couldn't care less about screens and "the show" - when it was really about the music.

I can remember several "favorite tour" threads and if memory serves, Elevation and JT did better than Popmart. I also think quite a few fans prefer arenas over stadiums.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

I know about that thread, and it's silly. Vertigo is Vertigo, you can't compare it to other stadium tours. And psst, there were threads whether Vertigo is better than Elevation and where Vertigo fits compared to other U2 tours.

Popmart of course gets vigiriously defended here, but in reality it wasn't all that. (bad performances and attendances on the first leg)
You know, there was a time when U2 would play to *gasp* less than 50 000 people a night and couldn't care less about screens and "the show" - when it was really about the music.

I can remember several "favorite tour" threads and if memory serves, Elevation and JT did better than Popmart. I also think quite a few fans prefer arenas over stadiums.

I hope you don't own horses - cause I am sure you would kick those poor things even after their dead....:huh:

the problem w/ the arena vs. stadium debate is that it's all based on personal preference!

i've seen both types of shows:
Zoo TV (stadium)
PopMart (stadium)
Elevation (arenas)
Slane 2001 (100,000 people- equivalent to a stadium)
Vertigo (arenas)

having seen this variety of shows, i *definitely* prefer arenas- so much more intimate. i think the US is incredibly lucky! :up:

that being said, enjoy the stadium leg europe! it looks like it will be fantastic.

and i sincerely hope that our oz, latin american and asian friends will be as blessed as we are and will get a visit from U2 in the near future... *fingers crossed* :)

Perhaps you should have thought about that before you started this thread. I didn't know I was the only one posting in it, either.

(ps I wouldn't even answer if achtungy'all didn't bring that quote up)

U2girl said:
Perhaps you should have thought about that before you started this thread. I didn't know I was the only one posting in it, either.

(ps I wouldn't even answer if achtungy'all didn't bring that quote up)

what? how many alter egos do you have here?

I'm just glad to see the tour evolve.

It makes it fun to see what's coming next.

Obviously there are pros and cons to either kind of show, but they ARE both U2 shows, and NO ONE gets screwed when it's a U2 show. U2 gets to pick the kind of show we see, but they usually do a good job of playing up to the kind of show they are trying to deliver. Focus on the music? Got it. Focus on nailing the big show? Got it. I'm pretty sure if you got a ticket you'll have a great time either way.

(SIDE NOTE: Is it possible U2 will do a multiple DVD release like the stones did on LICKS with this new show and the chicago show on the same release?)

U2girl said:

you know, the reason Popmart may get defended here is because this is a U2 site, and the majority of U2 fans loved Popmart.

tkramer said:

(SIDE NOTE: Is it possible U2 will do a multiple DVD release like the stones did on LICKS with this new show and the chicago show on the same release?)

You mean like U2 did with Elevation Boston and Elevation Slane? :wink:

I sense a cat fight brewing. :wink:

And like tkramer, I think it's great to see the tour evolving. There's always that element of surprise with U2 tours that makes them so fun to follow.

GibsonGirl said:
I sense a cat fight brewing. :wink:

And like tkramer, I think it's great to see the tour evolving. There's always that element of surprise with U2 tours that makes them so fun to follow.

if this wasn't the internet, i wonder how U2 fans would fight.....

would it be gangsta? a bunch of hair pulling? kung fu?

Miroslava said:

You mean like U2 did with Elevation Boston and Elevation Slane? :wink:

but they werent packaged together as 1 release, Miros

thats what the question is

i think that would be cool

Last edited:
mikal said:

you know, the reason Popmart may get defended here is because this is a U2 site, and the majority of U2 fans loved Popmart.

Majority of fans on this board loved Popmart, not majority of U2 fans period.

U2girl said:

so you dont think this board is a good representation of the overall U2 fanbase?

tkramer said:

a double-DVD release? that would be AWESOME!!! :hyper: :up:

U2girl said:

pretty much what Chizip said. i'm really not sure where you're going with that. actually, i'm not sure that you're sure where you're going with that either.

U2girl said:

Are you trying to argue that the majority of U2 fans disliked Popmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom