The Mysterious U2.com Membership Keyring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceane

Refugee
This has been brought up on this board and elsewhere, but I just got my U2.com Membership Card-Keyring in the mail today, and the little message coming with it really sounds mysterious...

Some have noticed that their ticket says 'fan' or 'member' or something, and others have pointed out that maybe the Card could give us priority access to the heart/egg/pit.

Now I'm thinking more and more that it would be plausible. Notice the language in the note accompanying the keyring:

1."please find enclosed your unique membership keyring"

Now, I am not too sure exactly what is 'unique' about my card, apart from the fact that if I sign it in the back it will be mine and not someone else's. But why would they even bother to have 'unique' keyrings, unless there is some kind of benefit for members coming with it?

2. "Members will be at the heart of the action"

We all know what the 'heart' means to U2 fans, and the 'action' clearly is the tour/show.

3. "Look forward to seeing you on the road!"

This Membership card clearly is linked with the tour, and not with U2 or U2.com in general. They only sent it now, there might be a reason.

There might be benefits coming with this card, but it's hard to say for sure what it would be. Of course the fact that 100,000 people, half of them scalpers, will be sent this card might make it pointless (like the pre-sale code), but this is nonetheless interesting...

Do I just have too much imagination? Is this wishful thinking?

That was a good question, I never thought of that... I just thought that meant that we were unique because only about 100.000 people had it.

Funny picture: All standing outside of the egg (?) - wishing they were inside, and U2.com members walking slowly inside the egg while showing their card to the security guard:

- My card!
- Ok. You can pass. Hey YOU!

Man, Oceane, do you have to give it all away? Can't some things be kept secret for this the tour? Well since there's been so been many issues already might as well divulge the "key" chain to pre-empt the whiners from saying, "But nobody told me!"

Warning: Spoiler ahead.

Here's how it works. Your "key" chain is a key. Once inside the arena, on the floor, you will have the opportunity to insert it (a la ATM card) into a slot by the egg entrance (also know as eggtrance). Some key chains are programmed to grant admittance. Others aren't. This is how the inside the egg populace will be determined - by lottery. Ingenious. No corrupt security procedures, no one having to sleep on a sidewalk, and no one without their key - meaning ALL scalper purchased tickets - will gain admission into the heart.

Now if your key chain doesn't work you have a second chance. Because so many of the 1st leg GA tickets have been funneled through scalpers, the egg will likley be short a few. U2 wants their heart full so eggless GA fans will randomly be invited to step into the heart. This is what they did last tour after the photographers would leave a sing or two into the show. Best bet to be choosen is to step back a bit, not jammed up into a crowd, look happy, and have a beer in your hand (worked for me).

Okay - Good luck everybody - and don't let this get spread around too much on the internet. Let's keep it a surprise for some and not have scalpers selling their keychains on Ebay, okay?

arizzzona said:
Man, Oceane, do you have to give it all away? Can't some things be kept secret for this the tour? Well since there's been so been many issues already might as well divulge the "key" chain to pre-empt the whiners from saying, "But nobody told me!"

Warning: Spoiler ahead.

Here's how it works. Your "key" chain is a key. Once inside the arena, on the floor, you will have the opportunity to insert it (a la ATM card) into a slot by the egg entrance (also know as eggtrance). Some key chains are programmed to grant admittance. Others aren't. This is how the inside the egg populace will be determined - by lottery. Ingenious. No corrupt security procedures, no one having to sleep on a sidewalk, and no one without their key - meaning ALL scalper purchased tickets - will gain admission into the heart.

Now if your key chain doesn't work you have a second chance. Because so many of the 1st leg GA tickets have been funneled through scalpers, the egg will likley be short a few. U2 wants their heart full so eggless GA fans will randomly be invited to step into the heart. This is what they did last tour after the photographers would leave a sing or two into the show. Best bet to be choosen is to step back a bit, not jammed up into a crowd, look happy, and have a beer in your hand (worked for me).

Okay - Good luck everybody - and don't let this get spread around too much on the internet. Let's keep it a surprise for some and not have scalpers selling their keychains on Ebay, okay?

:slant:

Well, you definately have a lot of imagination... Anyways, you can make fun all you want, but I think there is ground to think *something* might come with this keyring. That's just the impression I got reading the message, but of course I may be completely wrong.

you are. sorry. but it was fun to play the atm egg game. perhaps the 100th person entering the egg will receive a vertigo trabant filled with lemons.

I think when they typed that letter they actually thought that fans not brokers were going to get all the GAs.

It is nice to dream though. :yes:

Yeah, probably this Keyring is useless, but it's not impossible that it would not be. It wouldn't be unheard of, and it's worth thinking about at the minimum.

Is for COBL... when Bono sings "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" you have to shake the keyring in the air in that part... but COBL will close the shows, so no one will care.

And if you shake it in the acoustic part, you have "guaranteed priority" at getting on the stage and play guitar... if only a broker doesn't shake his 200 keyrings.. otherwise "priority picking-up/playing" :hyper:

...:|

Isn't it fun to feel hope again?! Now where did I stash the damn thing? Oh, wait I have reserved seats, no atm for me anyway! Maybe I can flash it and Bono will climb up and sing to me! We can morse code each other in the concert with them.:wink: Secret U2 fan signal device.

The keyring is garbage, I don't know why u2.com would send something like this. How about an autograph or something, maybe a calander, I don't know.

Funny enough got mine today! anyone else from the UK got theirs yet? and how did mine arrive in the UK from El Dorado Hills without any visible postage on the front of it? :hmm:

the best thing about the keyring is how easily it breaks up coke, fucking immense, all they needed to include was a mirror

bonosleftone said:
the best thing about the keyring is how easily it breaks up coke, fucking immense, all they needed to include was a mirror

The mirror comes in a separate envelope (it had to be bubble wrapped).

Back
Top Bottom