Regarding Opening Acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2FanPeter

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
With all my u2 knowledge I was thinking about all the opening acts the group have had over the years. I was trying to think of an act would directly benefitted or had their reputation enhanced by playing on a bill with U2.

No Doubt previewed their Rock Steady and went on to be a Arena act with a huge album.

Bjork supported u2 a number of occassions before her first album went huge. Oddly enough, her opening sets(with and without the sugarcubes)

The Scissors Sisters got quite a bit of mileage from the rumour that they would open some of the Vertigo tour. Their career took off before they had the chance.

But that was all I could suggest. Other groups seem to have the same stature after the u2 slot they had before - other groups seem to drop off the radar a year of two after a U2 opening slot.

Is there a benefit to opening for U2 other seeing live night after night?

u2FP

I think it would be awful. The vasy majority of fans don't care what you do -- they just want you to leave so the main act can come on. So I can't see that it would really help a band.

Sure it helps, huge amounts of exposure to lot sof people that have never heard of you. How many people in the US knew who kings of leon were before this tour. I have seen lots of articles about them recently all of which are written with the sub-heading of them opening for U2. Mostpeople not care at all about the opening act- but it is still a ton of exposure.

I'd imagine PJ Harvey and Stereophonics sold some records to people who saw them open for U2.

I'm also sure the bands get paid pretty well by u2.

I know who Kings of Leon were before they were a support act for U2 in America, I also know all the rest of the bands who are support acts in Europe and enjoy all their music, pity they weren't all on supporting them at once (what a day that would be). The only one Im not sure of is Interpol who are the support act that Im going to be listening to in Glasgow, Scotland.

Is it true that U2 fans BOOED Bjork in 1992+1993 and Pearl Jam(Italy 1993?)?

That said, I thought BB King was an excellent choice for the LoveTown tour. It would have done wonders to introduce him to a younger audience.

U2FP

Back
Top Bottom