Opinions on Hammish Hamilton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I think he did a decent job with both Boston and Slane DVDs. I think Slane is better, seems to be more spontaneous along with U2’s performance. The thing that annoys me about Hamilton is that he seems to be in love with Bono. During Edge's solos on Bullet The Blue Sky and The Fly, on the Boston DVD, he shows more of Bono than Edge and his guitar and the editing is not right on The Fly solo. For those that play guitar that may be annoying, it is for me. Am I the only on who feels like that? I’m anxious to see how this DVD is going to be like. I really hope he doesn't keep showing us Bono when Adam start walking down the catwalk during New Year's Day or during Edge’s solo on The Electric Co. Don’t fuck up The Electric Co. for me dude! :mad:

i'd lvoe it if on some songs you could have 5 cptions on who to view: Bono Edge Adam Larry or Mix (Default)

On somethings that owuld be quality

Miricale_Drug said:
i'd lvoe it if on some songs you could have 5 cptions on who to view: Bono Edge Adam Larry or Mix (Default)

On somethings that owuld be quality
Oh yeah, some DVDs have that in some songs. That would be really cool to have for songs like Zoo Station, The Electric Co., Love And Peace Or Else... :drool:

I agree about him showing much more of Bono than the rest of the band. Other than that, I think he does good work. My only issue is somewhat related to him, WHAT THE HELL WAS THE "WATCH THE DIRECTOR" on the Boston DVD? That was about the lamest "extra" feature on a DVD ever!

Hamilton sucks. It would be nice to see him shoot a concert so we can see what's going on onstage without all his film school gimmickry. He completely ruined Peter Gabriel's last concert DVD by splitting the screen between PG and the band onstage and the crew guys sitting underneath the stage waiting for something to happen. You can't do that shit with a visual extravaganza like Peter Gabriel's, or U2's for that matter. There is so much going on onstage visually that we don't need ANYTHING to detract from it, whether it's pointless split screen or swooping camera moves. This guy needs to be shooting Jerry Bruckheimer movies, not concert films.

IMO - Hamilton over-produces. He's got production ADD. He never leaves the camera on any one individual long enought to enjoy that persons performance, or to capture the entire moment.

I find it down right difficult to watch anything he's done. Sometimes I just wish he would pan back, get all 4 members in the shot and just leave it the hell alone.

Perhaps the reason why we all enjoy the Dublin DVD more than Boston is because it was not a "planned" shoot (as far as I know).

dave

onebloodonelife said:
I agree about him showing much more of Bono than the rest of the band. Other than that, I think he does good work. My only issue is somewhat related to him, WHAT THE HELL WAS THE "WATCH THE DIRECTOR" on the Boston DVD? That was about the lamest "extra" feature on a DVD ever!

on this DVD there is going to be a watch the audience members feature which seems like it will be just as lame. why would i want to watch u2 fans watching u2?

Chizip said:

on this DVD there is going to be a watch the audience members feature which seems like it will be just as lame. why would i want to watch u2 fans watching u2?

Those surveillence edits aren't of the crowd -- they're of the band. U2.com has a clip, and it's much cooler than I thought it was going to be...

Right now there's a Live In Chicago special of the Chicago show on tv. How ironic is that? So far so good for Hamilton imo. But I don't think they will be airing The Electric Co. though :mad: The whole Vertigo production looks great on camera! Awesome!

He shoots and cuts his shit like somebody who went to film school and dropped out after watching only the first half of Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin, assuming that he'd already learned everything there was to know. The guy is a worthless piece of shit as far as his cinematic abilities go.

Dude might be a saint and shit, but he's still fucking talentless. I don't wish him any harm, but I certainly wish for a painful end to his worthless career. The goal was soul in '01...so why were his shoots so spectacularly devoid of it?

lancerla said:

Those surveillence edits aren't of the crowd -- they're of the band. U2.com has a clip, and it's much cooler than I thought it was going to be...
oh really? ill have to check that out

What is so funny, U2 has a GREAT director totally in bed with them already. Anton Corbijn directed Depeche Mode's "One Night In Paris" and it is everything that Hammish ISN'T.

lancerla said:

i'm pretty sure they are of the crowd. isn't it going to be expanded footage of what they use for the camera effect on bono during one? or are you talking about running to stand still off the site?

Hamish is very hit and miss. The consensus is that Elevation sucked and that Slane was an improvement.

I don't know how many of you have seen his non-U2 work since then, but his work on PG's Growing Up DVD in 2003 was a major improvement, it did have some interesting angles/ideas but not overkill, also he had toned down the chopping and changing. Everything isn't lost for ol' Hamish. And those who are judging him on 2 works 4 years ago may well be in for a surprise. :wink:

The guy should start his own cable network "BONOTV" (just picture that with the T and the V inside the Os ala ZooTV)

"BONOTV, All Bono, All the time."

That's exactly how I feel watching his concerts.

Here's me:
"Oh wait, who was that other guy with the skull cap on? Is he on stage too?"

Stories for Boys said:

i'm pretty sure they are of the crowd. isn't it going to be expanded footage of what they use for the camera effect on bono during one? or are you talking about running to stand still off the site?

He's talking about Running to Stand Still on U2.com, which is a preview of the surveillance edit bonus feature.

Just saw the new iPod video TV commercial with U2 from the DVD - it looks awesome. Very clear shots of the band members and the camera actually stays on them for more than a second or two. Very nice.

WinnieThePoo said:

David Mallet , one of the greatest ,
he also did works with floyd , queen , david bowie
and cirque de solei

I cannot comprehend why U2 would stop using him in favour of Hamish Hamilton. ZooTV and Popmart are gorgeously shot.

onebloodonelife said:
WHAT THE HELL WAS THE "WATCH THE DIRECTOR" on the Boston DVD? That was about the lamest "extra" feature on a DVD ever!

In my opinion it's the BEST extra I have seen in a DVD ! That's great to see how it works backstage, with live production. And then comparing the live images with those that are finally in the concert movie, you can see all what as edited later ...

OK certainly we don't see enough other band members, but the images are beautiful !
What about the rose from the crowd in Elevation ?
What about Edge "surfing" over the crowd in Slane ? I found the DVDs splendid !

Chrisedge said:
What is so funny, U2 has a GREAT director totally in bed with them already. Anton Corbijn directed Depeche Mode's "One Night In Paris" and it is everything that Hammish ISN'T.

Agree 100% The man is a genius. Everything he's done with Depeche Mode has been fabulous.
Hamish has hardly any quality control, he'll work with just about anyone. Just don't get his popularity....

Hamish did not do Slane DVD did he? I felt sure he didn't..
Also the surveillance stuff is of the crowd and Willie Williams did that

U2FanPeter said:
Why has Wim Wenders has never filmed a u2 concert?

u2fp

Because U2 concerts aren't long enough for a Wim Wenders movie. ;-)

matt76 said:
Hamish did not do Slane DVD did he? I felt sure he didn't..
Also the surveillance stuff is of the crowd and Willie Williams did that

He did :)

Concert Film:
Producer: Ned O'Hanlon. Live show director: Hamish Hamilton. Executive Producer: Paul McGuinness. Creative Director: Maurice Linnane. Editor: Brian McCue.

Back
Top Bottom