MERGED--> First in line.... + Queuing for the front in Europe/Saving places

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
First in line....

For Chip or any others who've served the role of GA line nazi for any of the US dates so far, I want to know what exactly you have to do when you're first. I don't really want to be first b/cI don't want to be alone and I don't know what to do, but for one of the fall leg concerts I'm going to w/ a friend, I might just end up first. She has tickets to the show the night before and I don't, so I'll be getting in line the afternoon the day before the show. I'm hoping I'm not first, but I'm just curious what you do when you are.

If youre the first person in line and you don't want to do it I'm sure one of the first few people after you will take charge. I was actually third in line at both the Chicago shows I line nazi'd. I had brought a sharpie and notebook just in case I was first and needed to do it, and since the first couple people didn't want to bother with it thats how I ended up with the job.

But I didn't even have to do it all by myself. I had lots of people around me that helped out. We would rotate the job of giving people numbers and taking down names so not one person was stuck with it the whole day.

So don't worry, if you don't want to do it you won't have to. Though it is actually kind of fun to do as you get to meet a lot of people. But there are times when it gets a bit annoying.

For the Saturday show I got there at 10:30am Friday, #1 and #2 showed up at 9am Friday

For the Tuesday show, #1 and #2 showed up at 11:30am on Monday, I got there shortly after that.

Thanks for the info. I'm just not a very confrontational person when it comes to complete strangers in a place that's also new to me. I can handle a sign-in sheet and a sharpie, but as far as enforcing the line order....no thanks! People sometimes seem to have the wrong impression of the line nazis and don't realize it's to everyone's benefit that we all stick together and stick to the order.

OK, I have one more question: Say my friend and I show up early in the afternoon on a Monday and there is a Monday and Tuesday show. She has tickets to the Monday show and I don't, but we both want to get in line or whatever for Tues night's show. If no one has done so yet, can we number off before the first show even starts? Is that fair? I don't want to piss anyone off. It's not like I'm going to multiple shows in a row and wanting to number off for the last show on the first day, but I don't have a ticket to the first show and my job is going to be to set up camp.

hmm, well we had a rule that if you were going to the first nights show that you couldnt get a number for the second show until after you came out of the first one. there were a lot of people going to both shows, so we thought that was fairest way to give out the numbers. you might want to talk with the line nazi's for the first show to see what the deal is.

there were only like 5 of us who lined up for the second show before the first show ended, so it wouldnt really be a huge deal either way.

Chip was a fantastic nazi in Chicago. And that not lining up until we got out the first show was totally cool - we sprinted like mad to get out there, but it was cool.

I even managed to get a few donut holes from him! :whistle:

Okay did you guys sleep on the sidewalk when you got in line a whole day before? Did you take a sleeping bag?

I'll be at both fall Chicago shows, and if the lines are going to start at 10 am the day before... :crazy:

Personally, it don't matter if you're #1, #10, #20. It's still all random anyways. You'll still get a good spot no matter what order it goes, and once you get into the arena and they split you up into the two scanning computers it gets all screwed up anyways.

Chizip...what has been your experience with actually waiting in line all day? How many actually got on a rail? I just couldn't justify waiting anymore. Showing up at 7 and at worst being 3 people from the rail...just didn't seem worth it. Why were people still doing it? Thoughts?

I would say the first 75 people would be guaranteed a spot along the outside rail. So if the line gets split you want to be within the first 35-40 people in your line. If you get there early enough to secure one of those spots, then I think its worth it. Having a rail spot along the outside of the ellipse is an amazing experience.

If I was not able to get there early enough to guarantee myself a spot along the rail, then I would probably not wait line all day. Like the people who show up around 1 or 2, that would put them about 4 or 5 rows back from the tip, and to me, thats probably the worst spot you can have. So I dont understand why people would come then and wait the rest of they day. I'd rather take my chances by coming at showtime and then if I didn't beep I'd go to the back of the floor, it's a better view and more comfortable back there, even if you aren't as close.

So why do people do it? Maybe they don't fully understand the system, maybe they think being a few people from the rail is better than being further back, maybe they just like spending time with other U2 fans. I'm not really sure.

That's one of the reasons why I don't like the lottery. If you were within the top 400 people in line for Elevation, you were guaranteed a great spot either within the heart, or along the rail on the outside. For Vertigo, the only guarantee of a great spot is along the rail on the outside, and you have to make sure you're in the top 40 in your line to secure that.

That's quite a big difference.

Last edited:
EPandAmerica said:
Okay did you guys sleep on the sidewalk when you got in line a whole day before? Did you take a sleeping bag?

I'll be at both fall Chicago shows, and if the lines are going to start at 10 am the day before... :crazy:

Some people brought tents, some people brought sleeping bags, some people built makeshift shelters that looked more like a refugee camp *cough*u2midwestgroup*cough*

also quite a few people slept in their cars, there is a little street right next to the GA line where you could park until they opened up the lots

i slept in my car one night and in a tent the other night

it was actually kind of like a fun camp out. people were having drinks, we were watching a baseball game on someones computer, people were playing guitar and singing songs, in the morning some people had gone and got donuts and breakfast sandwhiches and passed them out.

it was actually a really good time.

Chizip said:

Some people brought tents, some people brought sleeping bags, some people built makeshift shelters that looked more like a refugee camp *cough*u2midwestgroup*cough*

:lol: The bomb shelter was...interesting. I went over there once looking for Laura and Eep b/c they're really the only ones I know and holy crap there were so many bodies in there half mummified by sleeping bags I was rather overwhelmed. The whole thing reminded me of our multi-family camping trips where my dad and his buddies would literally wrap the entire group site in visqueen. It kept out the precipitation, but kept all the hot air and body gasses in. :faint:

Last edited:
What said above....does that apply for the UK stadiums? Any idea on how many people queue up for the whole day? Thinking of getting there aroud 10 for the second gig of Manchester.

i really have no idea what to expect for the Eurigo leg

since you are going to the second gig of Manchester, just check on here after the first few gigs about how early people are lining up and what spot they are getting, and that should give you some idea

i camped out w/ chip and the other crazies for the shows on the 10th and 12th in chi-town... chip did a great job! and a bunch of people pitched in to help w/ the check-in list; i took over for a couple of hours both days.

it's actually fun meeting U2 fans, chatting about the shows, etc. but the main reason i lined up early was for what chip said- being on a railing. i'm not very tall, so i really like having nobody in front of me. also, it's nice to have something to lean on... and, on the 10th, we got the lucky beep- so we ended up front and center inside the ellipse! that was an amazing experience... :drool:

i see the positives and negatives about the lottery- i'm not entirely for or against it. but, it does suck that there are now only 50 or so guaranteed rail spots (around the outside of the ellipse). on elevation, you could be number 200 and probably still get a rail- either inside or outside the heart. oh well.

Yeah, I'm w/ you there. The main reason I plan to camp out for the Chicago shows (not the show I was thinking of when I started this thread) is for rail spots. My little sis will be along. She's not that "little", she's 16 in a few days, but she's never been to a huge show like this before. I'll also be w/ my bf who has had 4 seizures recently so I'm already, four months ahead of time, praying for a rail spot so he can breathe and not totally wig out.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Yeah, I'm w/ you there. The main reason I plan to camp out for the Chicago shows (not the show I was thinking of when I started this thread) is for rail spots. My little sis will be along. She's not that "little", she's 16 in a few days, but she's never been to a huge show like this before. I'll also be w/ my bf who has had 4 seizures recently so I'm already, four months ahead of time, praying for a rail spot so he can breathe and not totally wig out.

:hug: just line up early, bring sleeping bags, a sharpie and notebook, and you'll be fine! :) good luck. :up:

*Ally* said:

:hug: just line up early, bring sleeping bags, a sharpie and notebook, and you'll be fine! :) good luck. :up:

I'm really excited for the Chicago shows! We'll be there w/ our sleeping bags, tent, and Coleman stove.

Detroit II, the show I'm thinking I might unintentionally be first in line for, I'm not quite so excited about...yet (my bf and sis won't be w/ me for this one). Sleeping on the sidewalk in Michigan in late-October could mean sleeping in over a foot of snow. But, we're going to do it regardless and I'm sure once the show starts, the cold won't spoil our fun!

Back
Top Bottom