MERGED --> Counterfeit Tickets... + Serious Chicago counterfeit warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beatlesboy

War Child
Chicago, IL (In the kingdom of South Suburbia!)
Counterfeit Tickets...

Ahead of me in one of the lines at the box office tonight in Chicago were a couple of guys who had purchased tix from someone on the street and when they tried get into the UC the tickets were not valid (aka counterfeit).

A reminder to everyone: Don't do this! This was an issue on the last tour and sadly it's STILL an issue...

U2FanPeter said:
Were they TM tickets or the U-print full page paper copies?

They were legit looking TM (hard) tickets. The two men were complaining to one of the box office employees that the tickets were not scanning at the gate. After a few minutes of arguing with the person tending to the window a manager was called over and basically told them their tix were not legit and they [the tickets] were confiscated.

That truly sucks ass.

I was leary of this situation myself when buying tickets, but was advised the following:

Prior to paying for the tickets, have the seller make the walk to the entry gate. If the tickets scan legit, then pay for them. If not, you don't lose your money. If the seller knows the tickets are worthless, then he/she probably won't even proceed to the gate as requested.

If you buy tickets on the secondary market, on suggestion is going through 'known' scalpers.

I also wonder why people let go of their fake tickets - keep them and see if they are printed on authentic TM stock. It might be possible to get face value back.

u2FP

If you buy the fakes off the street, You are up sh*t creek with out a paddle. this happed last tour in chicago to me and a friend

from the trib...

Don't get stuck with a fake

Many unlucky concertgoers were turned away at the door of the Chicago U2 show in 2001 when the tickets they bought from scalpers turned out to be invalid. Since then, the counterfeiters have only gotten more sophisticated. Jim Bare, director of ticket operations for the United Center, has some suggestions to avoid getting burned.

- Inspect hard-to-copy elements, such as background images and security seals. Make sure type fonts are consistent around the date and seat numbers.

- Without mangling your ticket too much, give it the wet test--the ink won't run on Ticketmaster tickets. And tear your ticket slightly--a real one should have fibers of blue thread in the paper stock.

at eagles games people sometimes get faked out. but when you turn the TM tickets over there is a big difference...so if you can compare the backs between a real and one that you are looking to purchase....its pretty obvious.

i got my philly ticket through someone on here and my MSG ticket through e-bay...

frankly, if either one of those tickets is a fake, i commend the printer of the fake for making the greatest damn fake ticket ever made. the backs to the tickets are identical to the backs of the ones i got through ticketbastard themselves.

jelloe said:
That truly sucks ass.

I was leary of this situation myself when buying tickets, but was advised the following:

Prior to paying for the tickets, have the seller make the walk to the entry gate. If the tickets scan legit, then pay for them. If not, you don't lose your money. If the seller knows the tickets are worthless, then he/she probably won't even proceed to the gate as requested.

That is a good idea. I should remember that next time. I used to work for Ticket Master so I know how to check for conterfit and fake tickets. Number one for those who are reading this, insist on a HARD TICKET not a ticketfast ticket. I made a sample fake ticketfast ticket to prove to some friends why ticketfast tickets weren't the best. Also in Canada, some tickets (where the red serial number is) can be scanned with a portable back light where a logo is shown. You can even go to the main TM outlet and they will at times do this in the back room for you. Also call up your local ticket master and ask for a sample of what the latest hard ticket design print out looks like. They change every few months.

U2FanPeter said:
If you buy tickets on the secondary market, on suggestion is going through 'known' scalpers.

I also wonder why people let go of their fake tickets - keep them and see if they are printed on authentic TM stock. It might be possible to get face value back.

u2FP

E-bay feedback is also a good way to go, reputation is important. I mostly buy from Show Time Tickets here in my city.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
from the trib...

Don't get stuck with a fake

Many unlucky concertgoers were turned away at the door of the Chicago U2 show in 2001 when the tickets they bought from scalpers turned out to be invalid. Since then, the counterfeiters have only gotten more sophisticated. Jim Bare, director of ticket operations for the United Center, has some suggestions to avoid getting burned.

- Inspect hard-to-copy elements, such as background images and security seals. Make sure type fonts are consistent around the date and seat numbers.

- Without mangling your ticket too much, give it the wet test--the ink won't run on Ticketmaster tickets. And tear your ticket slightly--a real one should have fibers of blue thread in the paper stock.

I heard of the fibre thing before but I think that only works for U2 tickets, not CND tickets. The ink running thing was something that I passed down when people ordered tickets over the phone back in the day (when we had a TM phone room).

Also check the serial numbers on the back. If you got two seats or 4 or whatever, the numbers should go in order. Not sure about how it would work with ga's. As to why people don't hold onto the fakes after they are denied entry? If you don't hand them over, you are instantly arrested for trying to commit fraud.

isabelle_guns said:

I heard of the fibre thing before but I think that only works for U2 tickets, not CND tickets. The ink running thing was something that I passed down when people ordered tickets over the phone back in the day (when we had a TM phone room).

The blue fiber is in all tm tickets. They don't make special ones for U2. Another thing to do is to have a small little blacklight and put it under the ticket. There's TM watermarks all over the stock.

I don't know if I should ask a question like this here, what I'm asking is probably illegal but I need to know. Places like yahoo!tickets and buyselltix offer Vertigo tickets are they real or you can get conterfeit at those places too? I'm in desperate need of tix, I want to know if it's safe buying from those places

carof_77 said:
I don't know if I should ask a question like this here, what I'm asking is probably illegal but I need to know. Places like yahoo!tickets and buyselltix offer Vertigo tickets are they real or you can get conterfeit at those places too? I'm in desperate need of tix, I want to know if it's safe buying from those places

Yes, sites like ticketsnow.com, buyselltix.com, etc.. are legit ticket brokers and while they WILL screw you on the prices, they will be legit tickets.

Basically all the counterfeit tix (incidents I've heard of anyway) are being sold by those scumbags who hang around the venues and will take 'cash only' then disappear. These are the tickets you should avoid or at least be very cautious about.

Thanks beatlesboy for answering this question. I bought a ticket through ticketsnow.com and it ended being a ticketfast one (which was not stated anywhere) so I was/am a little worried about it being legit. :ohmy:

Tech said:
Thanks beatlesboy for answering this question. I bought a ticket through ticketsnow.com and it ended being a ticketfast one (which was not stated anywhere) so I was/am a little worried about it being legit. :ohmy:

Yeah, they should let you know that it's not a hard ticket, I'd like to know that ahead of time also, but I'm sure you'll be alright. As much as I hate brokers, ticketsnow is pretty big operation and I know several people who have bought through them and had no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:
While this is only heresay, what stops people from stealing blank TM ticket stock and printing their own ticket?

I also remember having GAs for Vancouver Elevation. This was before they had scanners and 2 extra people checking each tickets for fakes(specifically checking the back of the ticket). With a GA floor, and only ticket rippers, there would be little stopping fakes gaining access.

Another trick is scraping your fingernail across the face of the ticket will turn the scratched part black. This only works with real tickets.

u2 fans should also use the "too good to be true" thought process. Ask people where they got their tickets and why they are selling.

u2FP

U2FanPeter said:

Another trick is scraping your fingernail across the face of the ticket will turn the scratched part black. This only works with real tickets.

u2FP

This is cos it's thermal stock or whatever, yeah? I remember from somewhere else that if you put a lighter near the tickets, it'll turn black cos of that. The edge of some of my tickets have gotten black I guess from extreme heat, but I wouldn't dare put a flame near my precious tickets! :p

Extreme heat has caused some of your tix to turn black, but you haven't used a lighter? Hmm... do you ever let the tickets out of your hands? :wink:

All of this discussion reminds me of the few times when I went to see the Greatful Dead. Similar situation with lots of bunk tickets being sold to lots of folks that were too outta their tree to realize if they were real or not.

Not to say however that U2 fans are outta their tree......

Use common sense people.....hope no one gets burned.

Last edited:
Re: Counterfeit Tickets...

beatlesboy said:
Ahead of me in one of the lines at the box office tonight in Chicago were a couple of guys who had purchased tix from someone on the street and when they tried get into the UC the tickets were not valid (aka counterfeit).

A reminder to everyone: Don't do this! This was an issue on the last tour and sadly it's STILL an issue...

Buying anything off the streets including tickets is a bad idea. Buy from a reputable source and use a credit card.

Serious Chicago counterfeit warning

Last night at the UC, I met some seriously sweet people who had flown in from Toronto on a whim with enough cash in their pockets to buy tickets on the street. Even after I counseled them about counterfeits, they ended up getting swindled by a street hustler for $800 cash for four seats. After the deal, several friendly U2 folk inspected the tickets and confirmed them as 'blanks.' They ended up dropping several hundred more with a 'legit scalper" (what an oxymoron!!!).
How to smell this shitty maneuver. They look like hard tickets but the seller is such a serious scam-man. But if you inspect closely, paper quality and type fonts *are not* the same as the real tickets that *everyone* else has!! With these peoople, you have to wonder where they get their tickets, except from an ink-jet printer and some kind of fake jpeg file.
live from the Cass Hotel,
Anu

isabelle_guns said:

E-bay feedback is also a good way to go, reputation is important. I mostly buy from Show Time Tickets here in my city.

I've had only positive experiences buying tickets off of Ebay. Got four pairs of tickets for less than half of face value for the Denver shows. All tickets were mailed promptly and carefully. I'm considering never going through Ticketmaster directly again for concerts.

<<confirmed them as "blanks">>

I asked earlier and I'll ask again - what stops swindlers from printing new 'fake' tickets on unused TM ticket stock? If they can go for hundreds of dollars, then there would be a market for ticket rolls stolen internally from TM or whatever.

u2Fp

U2FanPeter said:
<<confirmed them as "blanks">>

I asked earlier and I'll ask again - what stops swindlers from printing new 'fake' tickets on unused TM ticket stock? If they can go for hundreds of dollars, then there would be a market for ticket rolls stolen internally from TM or whatever.

u2Fp

How easy is blank TM stock to access? I would imagine they keep things pretty secure, and you can't just grab a stack of it and walk away, but who knows? :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom