Lottery system for GA oval/pit/heart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oceane said:
You wouldn't be split up from your son or anyone your are going to the show with. When they do the drawing they pick ONE number, and it becomes the first one of the line, then the people behind just follow in order. For example if your number is 160 and they pick up 159, you will be the first person in line, and the person with the number 158 would be the last one.

If for some reason the first number picked up splits a group of two or three people, they will let the group go together. At least that's how it usually works with lotteries.

that doesn't make sense...if everyone is lined up...and then they call a number and that becomes first in line...who the heck would want to be anywhere near the front of the line...chances are the line would start somewhere in the middle... so how is the line number order established?

LuminousTimes said:

that doesn't make sense...if everyone is lined up...and then they call a number and that becomes first in line...who the heck would want to be anywhere near the front of the line...chances are the line would start somewhere in the middle... so how is the line number order established?

I'm thinking you still don't understand how it works. If there are 160 #'s given out everyone has a 1 in 160 chance that there # is called first, whether you have # 1 or # 160.

Being in the front or back of the line does not increase or decrease your chance of being pushed up or pushed back.

And Super Fan, since you seem to be king of the GA line up thing, I hope you don't mind if anyone audits the lists being controlled at the front of the line to make sure the 1st 10 or 20 people are actually standing on line. (Since no one should be lazy, right?)

Super_Fan said:
How can I get my point across. Should I reveal and give out the #'s of the people who started the GA Lottery Revolution due to Bruce Springsteen debacle? How about that. Its fair and people are just stupid when it comes to enjoying a show. You follow all the moral rules, but not cause confusion. My acts of posting profanity is directed at the people wanting GA Lottery because they have a disablity of getting to a show on time. I learned my lesson after I barely got into the heart, I camp out and I kept on doing that until the end of the tour. I said back a month ago in a thread to stop talking about this subject because of course nothing WILL BE DONE IF THERE IS A GA LOTTERY UNTIL THE 3rd LEG. If their boss can't give them time off, you make a good excuse. I am missing classes and a quiz going to the first show in San Diego. People can make time for anything if time allows it. You just make a good excuse to leave work for a day or two.

How can you get your point across? You can discuss your opinion and thoughts on certain matters like a normal human being like everyone else. Yelling and screaming profanities is not the best way to get people to listen to you.

neutral asked you nicely to simmer down, she doesnt deserve to be yelled at either.

KentK said:

Good point-- I think they will want to stay clear of the whole thing. Leave it up to the arenas to manage.

I think the 'lottery' idea has disaster written all over it and if there's one thing U2's management doesn't need is another situation to equal the great ticket debacle!

I can just imagine the chaos of trying to do a lottery for the thousands who are constantly lining up as the day goes on, or if that's not the case, have evryone arriving at the same time for the GA line because of a lottery. Messy, very messy indeed!...
:ohmy:

ramblin rose said:

I'm thinking you still don't understand how it works. If there are 160 #'s given out everyone has a 1 in 160 chance that there # is called first, whether you have # 1 or # 160.

Being in the front or back of the line does not increase or decrease your chance of being pushed up or pushed back.

And Super Fan, since you seem to be king of the GA line up thing, I hope you don't mind if anyone audits the lists being controlled at the front of the line to make sure the 1st 10 or 20 people are actually standing on line. (Since no one should be lazy, right?)

Okay..so numbers are given out first in this theoretical lottery...So say my son gets number 86 and I get 142...If number 70 is called does my son get #16 in line and I am #72? That's what I don't get.

LuminousTimes said:

Okay..so numbers are given out first in this theoretical lottery...So say my son gets number 86 and I get 142...If number 70 is called does my son get #16 in line and I am #72? That's what I don't get.

The numbers are given out consecutively. There are 150 people lined up you get # 50, your son gets # 51 etc.

Only 1 number is called in the lottery. For example # 30 gets called, they go to the 1st spot on the line followed by 31, 32, 33, 34,35 all the way....to # 150. Those with numbers 1 through 29 stand behind # 150.

Do you get it now? The great majority of the time no one is separated. The only way someone is separated is if you have # 30 your son has # 31 and # 31 gets called, in which case I'm sure that situation would be accomodated.

Luminous Times - It's much simpler than that. Whichever number is called becomes the new front of the line.

If you get 142 and your son gets 86, and 70 is called, then WHOever is 70 is the new front of the line. If you and your son are standing directly behind the person holding 70, then congratulations, you are now the 2nd and 3rd people in line! If you are standing in front for the person who has 70, then unfortunately you become the end of the line.

Once the number is drawn, only the person who has that number matters - everyone elses' become irrelevant.

LuminousTimes said:

I have no first hand experience with this, but from reading the experiences posted here, there is only ONE number pulled out.

You wouldn't be split up from your son or anyone your are going to the show with. When they do the drawing they pick ONE number, and it becomes the first one of the line.

So again. Let's say you have #86 and your son #87. Then let's assume the #80 gets called. That means that the person holding #80 becomes the first in line, 81 the second, 82 the third ... you become the 7th and your son the 8th. The 79 people that formerly had numbers 1-79 get sent to the back of the line with the person formerly holding #79 now being the very last one.

I have a headache now...

Miroslava said:
Heee. seems like all 3 of us were a lil frustrated by this... :wink:

Ya think?:huh:

What I don't understand is why anyone thinks a lottery where you would be separated from the people you went to the concert would even be something viable worth discussing.

No one gets separated, that would never work for anyone.

Last edited:
apterz said:
Luminous Times - It's much simpler than that. Whichever number is called becomes the new front of the line.

If you get 142 and your son gets 86, and 70 is called, then WHOever is 70 is the new front of the line. If you and your son are standing directly behind the person holding 70, then congratulations, you are now the 2nd and 3rd people in line! If you are standing in front for the person who has 70, then unfortunately you become the end of the line.

Once the number is drawn, only the person who has that number matters - everyone elses' become irrelevant.

No, no, no. This is NOT how it works. Now you're just confusing everybody even more:wink:

Please read over Ramblin Rose's numerous very clear explanations in this thread. Numbers are given in order, therefore you will not have a completely different number than the person you will be with. That would be completely illogical.

The first person who gets a wristband/number gets 1, the second gets 2, the third gets 3, and so on. The thing is that it makes no difference when you get in line, everyone gets the same chance of being at the front.

And they will NOT separate groups, that would be completely absurd. If ever you have number 160 and it is the numberpicked up, and let's say your friend/child/lover has no.159, they will just go with you.

Sorry for repeating what has been said before, but people need to chill down about a possible lottery. It would not be chaos or the end of the world.

apterz said:

So from what i understand now everyone stands in a line...lets say 300 people...each of those 300 people receive a random number 1 - 300. they still remain in the same line...they do not reorder to the new numbers they have received...then a number is called...that person becomes the new head of the line and whoever happens to be in line behind them become second, third, etc in line...and whoever is in front of them is now behind the end of the entire line.

assuming I am finally understanding this correctly...then does the front part of the line that is now being kicked back to the end of the line stay in the same order they are in? If so, then it would still be important to be in the front of the line...because you would still be in front of all the people between you and the number called, correct? in other words if number 143 is called and they happen to be near the back of the line, let's say in position 280...then the people in the front of the line then become number 20 and 21 to go into the venue?? right?

LuminousTimes said:

So from what i understand now everyone stands in a line...lets say 300 people...each of those 300 people receive a random number 1 - 300. they still remain in the same line...they do not reorder to the new numbers they have received...then a number is called...that person becomes the new head of the line and whoever happens to be in line behind them become second, third, etc in line...and whoever is in front of them is now behind the end of the entire line.

assuming I am finally understanding this correctly...then does the front part of the line that is now being kicked back to the end of the line stay in the same order they are in? If so, then it would still be important to be in the front of the line...because you would still be in front of all the people between you and the number called, correct? in other words if number 143 is called and they happen to be near the back of the line, let's say in position 280...then the people in the front of the line then become number 20 and 21 to go into the venue?? right?

You're still missing a key concept. Numbers are issued in numerical SEQUENCE on a first come, first served basis... So the holder of number 143 is actually #143 in line...

:sad:

Last edited:
Miroslava said:

You're still missing a few key concepts. Numbers are issued in numberical SEQUENCE on a first come, first served basis...

:sad:

I think now I finally have a clear idea...

This leads me to my final question then. When number 162 is called to become the new #1 or front of the line...how is the rest of the line kept intact? especially the front 161 people that now have to go to the back...Is each number checked at the door? So basically at this point you could leave the line because you have a confirmed spot? Hope my question makes sense.

i'm a little concerned about this, not for my well-being. where i end up standing is not a huge deal this time around, since i got hooked up a couple times last tour.

but i'm more concerned about public safety. the sight of 300+ pissed off U2 fans could be more fatal than a war zone.

mikal said:
i'm a little concerned about this, not for my well-being. where i end up standing is not a huge deal this time around, since i got hooked up a couple times last tour.

but i'm more concerned about public safety. the sight of 300+ pissed off U2 fans could be more fatal than a war zone.

If there is a lottery system and it is announced in advance...then everyone will know to expect the worse and hope for the best...If it is something done the day of the show...then yes i agree there will be problems...

I hope there is not a lottery system...I would rather know where i am by the line that is in front of me when I get there on the day of the show...i would rather know i am 142nd in line than spend half a day wondering if i could end up 300th in line...just my opinion...

LuminousTimes said:

This leads me to my final question then. When number 162 is called to become the new #1 or front of the line...how is the rest of the line kept intact? especially the front 161 people that now have to go to the back...Is each number checked at the door? So basically at this point you could leave the line because you have a confirmed spot? Hope my question makes sense.

The idea of a lottery is partly to discourage people from standing in line too long. Once the magic number is drawn (162 in your example), people will line up behind that person IN ORDER. Like, 163, 164, 165, etc. Then the person with the no.1 will line up behind the last person with a number/wristband. I assume that the venue staff would simply check the numbers while they check the tickets.

I don't know why anyone thinks this would lead to chaos or a riot. This seems like a pretty simple system to me. Although it's true, it's more nerve-racking for all of us because you don't know where you will end up in the line and that could take a while.

If ever there is a lottery for the tour and there is no warning in advance, the only place where it will cause a big stink is the first night in San Diego. After that we will all know how things will work, unless they change the system in the middle of the tour.

LuminousTimes said:

Again, not having personal experience and keeping with the "300 numbers are issued speculation"

Upon a number being called, in this case 162, numbers 1-161 move to the back of the line in numerical sequence behind the person holding ticket #300 starting with #1 and ticket holder 161 now being the very last person in line. Any people arriving after the drawing would then continue to line up behind in order of arrival.

Not sure how this works out as far as being able tl leave the line. In keeping with this hypotethical situation, the numbers and drawings would ocurr a couple of hours before doors opened, so probably no need or desire to stray too far...

If the stage is seriously going to be in the center of the floor, there will not be a bad spot in the entire arena for all attendees.

I personally think a lottery is shit, but if the layout is in this way it wont be that bad. If its a straight end stage setup then it could pose a problem.

And I have myself whined about this lottery shit before, but really that stemmed from Elevation viewpoints with the heart. If I line up before anyone else then that should make anyone elses claims to the front null and void. You want the spot, do the time in line.

Has there been ANYTHING at all concrete about a special section (akin to the heart) inside the GA area? Not to my knowledge.

If there is no "heart", then I dont really care about lottery systems or not.

Yeah, that's a good point. We've all been assuming there would be a pit area like the Heart, but we have no proof of this whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure the floor will be split up in some way, but we just don't know how at this point.

So where can I get these lottery tickets? Are they being sold at 7-11? And are they number draws or scratch-offs? Questions, questions........

Even if you lose out in the lottery and get the last number in the afternoon line, you'll still be among the first 500 people or so in the building. Remember, most people with GA's show up at 7:00 pm. If you walk in as #500, you will be able to get RAIL along the B-stage or 2nd/3rd row outside the circle. Chill out. Let the 17 year old girl and her friend get up front for once.

BTW, the stage is at the END of the floor. Did anyone look at the Ticketmaster seating charts?

buckman said:
Even if you lose out in the lottery and get the last number in the afternoon line, you'll still be among the first 500 people or so in the building. Remember, most people with GA's show up at 7:00 pm. If you walk in as #500, you will be able to get RAIL along the B-stage or 2nd/3rd row outside the circle. Chill out. Let the 17 year old girl and her friend get up front for once.

BTW, the stage is at the END of the floor. Did anyone look at the Ticketmaster seating charts?

Exactly. This is why there is no reason to freak out if ever there is a lottery. I would prefer not personally, but I could see the logic behind it.

It's true this is all speculation, but it's still worth discussing IMO, because a lottery IS a possibility, and I'd rather talk about it now and de-mystify it (like some people being worried about being separated from their groups, etc.) right now then when the tour starts IF it happens.

youtwohearts said:
Then the true U2 fans that come to the show hours ahead of everyone else will have to be in a lottery.

Are you suggesting that the person who buys a nosebleed seat behind the stage because that's all they could get and are happy to be in the building, along with the money they lay out on a plane ticket, a rental car and a hotel room isn't a "true" fan? Or the person who gets to the GA line late because they're juggling a job and family obligations and has been praying for no hassles just to get there at all isn't a '"true" fan?

:rolleyes:

Like I said you put in your time to your spot in line to get in you deserve it. Just too many Lazy People that think the world is handed on a silver platter.

Also.. Bono said he wanted "circulation in the Heart" last time around....I guess this is the only way to have assurances that the same epopke own't be hogging the front rows every show. Though considering how few people can make it to more than 1 show, this might be moot.

Back
Top Bottom