IMO... it's NOT "ElevationTour" part2.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Squire said:

:banghead:

I suggest you to read the posts that have been made here. Because im quite sure you didn't.

And I'm going to make the EXACT same suggestion right back at you. I quoted the person's words. So I hardly see where I made the error. It seems like some of you are now twisting your words or back-tracking.

I quoted a person who said that he no longer feels U2 is "mindboggling" based on the fact that there is similarity of this tour to the last tour. These are HIS words, not mine. So if he has a problem with what HE wrote, that's not my issue. He should take more time to explain himself more clearly.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

And I'm going to make the EXACT same suggestion right back at you. I quoted the person's words. So I hardly see where I made the error. It seems like some of you are now twisting your words or back-tracking.

I quoted a person who said that he no longer feels U2 is "mindboggling" based on the fact that there is similarity of this tour to the last tour. These are HIS words, not mine. So if he has a problem with what HE wrote, that's not my issue. He should take more time to explain himself more clearly.
Why don't you just reply on my reaction then? Because you still don't seem to get it :eyebrow:

Agreed. If you don't see the differences, that's too bad. Different stage (shape and size), different lighting (IMO those lightbulb curtains are a GREAT idea) and need we talk about the setlist?

I would like to congratulate people for double standards: U2 has copied the B-stage idea from Zoo TV on Popmart, as well as the huge screens and projecting images, not to mention conveying messages. (media overload, consumerism) And the images to help fill the time in breaks between encores. And the stage additions (trabants, then lemon).

My bad doctorwho... i thought you were generalizing.

U2girl, the similarities between Elevation Tour and Vertigo Tour are there. You just don't want to see it.

The setlists was great in my opinion by the way. I just hope they play Lemon and more 90's music during this tour.

Just like i said before, both Zoo TV and Popmart were productions with conceptual ideas. And both of them had huge stages, including B-stages. Those are the only similarities! everything else was different. Attitude, clothes, poses, everything!
Now comparing trabants with lemons??? :ohmy:

Just like an example i said before, it's like stating that a car has the same appearance than other just because it has 4 wheels...

Zoo TV was the first to have a conceptual idea. Popmarrt repeated that.
Zoo TV was the first to have the B-stage and catwalk. Popmart repeated that.
Zoo TV was the first to use TV screens. Popmart repeated that.
Zoo TV was the first to use stage accesories. Popmart repeated that.

The only similarity is the ramp outside the stage - yes the oval replaced the heart.
You also got the stage lit, which Elevation didn't have, and the lightbulb curtains and the very different setlist.

Last edited:
U2girl, your first 2 paragraphs stated exactly what i have been saying. And those are the only similarities... the rest is differen't.

Pop Mart repeated TV screens... Yes they have tv screens like "all" concerts have nowadays. Do you think it is similar to have 5 or 6 screens than one HUGE screen??

Basically the main difference between Elevation Tour and this tour is the curtain behind the stage. The rest is the same. There is even those 5 screens above the stage like on the previous tour. Not to mention the attitude, poses, clothes, etc, (specially Bono and Edge) are very similar too. I'm just comparing the both tours that's all.

Squire said:
Basically the main difference between Elevation Tour and this tour is the curtain behind the stage. The rest is the same. There is even those 5 screens above the stage like on the previous tour. Not to mention the attitude, poses, clothes, etc, (specially Bono and Edge) are very similar too. I'm just comparing the both tours that's all. [/B]

I totally agree.

I walked straight into the San Diego venue last night into section 20 (looking directly at the stage) and my first reaction was what the hell? It was like I had never left 2001 - there is NO difference in this stage design. None. Willie Williams must have taken the year off.

Squire said:
Basically the main difference between Elevation Tour and this tour is the curtain behind the stage. The rest is the same. There is even those 5 screens above the stage like on the previous tour. Not to mention the attitude, poses, clothes, etc, (specially Bono and Edge) are very similar too. I'm just comparing the both tours that's all. [/B]

I totally agree.

I walked straight into the San Diego venue last night into section 20 (looking directly at the stage) and my first reaction was what the hell? It was like I had never left 2001 - there is NO difference in this stage design. None. Zero. Nada.

Willie Williams must be on vacation on a beach somewhere. One way or another, if the cash is in his bank account, he's probably drinking a mai tai and laughing his ass off under a coconut tree.

U2girl said:
Agreed. If you don't see the differences, that's too bad. Different stage (shape and size)]

Were you there? I was there at the rehearsal and the stage is virtually identical to the Elevation stage lol.

Im not saying its a bad thing but dont assume and make justifications you have no basis for.

The major difference stage wise is the lighting including the LED curtain, all the way around the stage is identical except the ramp isheart shaped.

From a design standpoint this is a virtual twin to Elevation, with the changes being absolutely minor.

It's be interesting to hear exactly what alternatives the harshest critics of the new show's staging would come up with. As an architect with interest and experience in stage and lighting design I know that there are only so many ways an arena show can be set up. Because U2 decided to seat people behind the stage they further limited their options to either in-the-round in the centre of the arena, stage with catwalk and b-stage or the elevation-style stage with ramps enclosing a GA pit area.

To my mind U2 are right to retain the latter of these options for a number of reasons. Completely in the round is unsuitable because of the added visuals (the light curtains in this case) and their diminished overall impact if people are sitting too close. Also U2 just don't strike me as the type of band who would use a revolving stage so that Larry wouldnt have his back to half the audience for the full show - its the tackiest device in arena rock (unless you are Peter Gabriel!).

The second option, using the catwalk with B-stage is Zoo-TV. Imagine the complaints about U2 "harking back to the early 90's". In the years since Zoo-TV so many other bands have used the same device that it really is now cliched and passe.

U2 pioneered the "heart" idea. It was phenomenally successful, serving a number of purposes - breaking up the GA crowd yet creating additional "surface" so that many more people have a chance of getting up close and personal with the band, providing an elegant visual effect for people sitting higher in the arena. Why would u2 want to abandon this idea ato return to more cliched and overused staging formats.

So now we have the "ellipse". Granted it is extremely reminiscent of the "heart" for the reasons outlined above. However from the limited information I have - the photos on Flickr - I would have to say that the overall show looks much more visually stimulating than elevation.

There appears to be much more "form" to the lighting, using massive wedges of light creating architectural shape and dynamism. It's somewhat reminiscent of Pink Floyd's Division Bell staging from this point of view. I'll hold judgement on the light curtains until I see them myself, given Westport's harsh criticism! However as a visual they look stunning in the photographs, particularly when used for strong graphics and blocks of colour. They are also an extremely innovative concept, just as the popmart screen was, and I'm sure they will need tweaking and perfected as the tour goes on. At least they don't need to employ hairdryer-weilding belgian abseilers for this tour!

I'm also impressed by the stage floor lighting. Again its a simple idea but executed with a rare elegance and restraint. It adds a further dimension to the staging that elevation just didnt have. Overall the Vertigo staging seems to make for a more exciting and artistically pleasing show (purely visually!) than Elevation. Coupled with the chance that setlists may be shaken up, that Bono's voice seems to be reaching the heights of old and that we have a stadium show that will blow our minds to look forward to, what more do you want from U2, Willie Williams, Marc Fisher et al??

I think judging from the first show, the conceptual part from zoo tv & popmart is sneaking back in (bono's speeches, blindfolding himself like a guantanamo prisoner)

i really have a feeling coming off of this we will have an experimental album

bcrt2000 said:
I think judging from the first show, the conceptual part from zoo tv & popmart is sneaking back in (bono's speeches, blindfolding himself like a guantanamo prisoner)

i really have a feeling coming off of this we will have an experimental album

I hope so. I feel U2 is at their best when they try to go places completely differently. Instead of just trying to maintain their status as a great band.

They're still vital enough to the entire music world to take the music further as well as the rock show as a performing art.

bonosleftone said:

I hope so. I feel U2 is at their best when they try to go places completely differently. Instead of just trying to maintain their status as a great band.

They're still vital enough to the entire music world to take the music further as well as the rock show as a performing art.

one thing we have to remember, u2 was at its popularity peak after joshua tree-r&h era, so they used that popularity to build steam on some experimental music and hit a creative peak, and i think if you look now, this is u2's second truly mega peak (actually even bigger than the first one -- current album will outsell joshua tree, tour will be highest grossing) and i think they'll again use it to reach another creative peak

Honestly, I can see more similarities than differences with the Elevation Tour. It does feel like it is Part 2 and that is a huge dissapointment because I did expect a much bigger production like the suggestion that was lobbied of a circular stage - which I didn't like but it sounded alright because it was different than Elevation which was nothing compared to U2's previous larger-than-life tours.

I understand what you say that the band really is in the end, the Main Event and that everything else is bonus but we're all spoiled U2 fans and expect a lot more than the confetti U2 have added to this "new and improved" Elevation Tour.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Honestly, I can see more similarities than differences with the Elevation Tour. It does feel like it is Part 2 and that is a huge dissapointment because I did expect a much bigger production like the suggestion that was lobbied of a circular stage - which I didn't like but it sounded alright because it was different than Elevation which was nothing compared to U2's previous larger-than-life tours.

I understand what you say that the band really is in the end, the Main Event and that everything else is bonus but we're all spoiled U2 fans and expect a lot more than the confetti U2 have added to this "new and improved" Elevation Tour.

have you listened to the audio of the san diego concert?... it really goes different places than elevation.. elevation was more of a greatest hits tour (especially slane)... they were a lot more political last night, and pick many more emotional but upbeat songs

Last edited:
U2girl wasnt there, she defends U2 every which way and turn which is admirable, but she never criticizes..

Anything even resembling negativity she comes back without facts and with tons of fallacy.

There are definite differences in this tour, but the similiarites outweigh and are noticable to anyone who saw Elevation.

bonosleftone said:
There are definite differences in this tour, but the similiarites outweigh and are noticable to anyone who saw Elevation.

forget about the heart/oval catwalks.. do you still feel the same way then? from the pictures/audio from last night, it just sounds different, a lot tighter creatively than elevation in terms of setlist choices

bcrt2000 said:

have you listened to the audio of the san diego concert?... it really goes different places than elevation.. elevation was more of a greatest hits tour (especially slane)... they were a lot more political last night, and pick many more emotional but upbeat songs

Yes, but I believe we are discussing the stage and how it looks, not the songs. That, I'm afraid, is a totally different headache. (Don't mean to Hijack this thread but who really goes to concert thinking "I can't wait to hear 'An Cat Dub' live!" :eyebrow: )

BrownEyedBoy said:

Yes, but I believe we are discussing the stage and how it looks, not the songs. That, I'm afraid, is a totally different headache. (Don't mean to Hijack this thread but who really goes to concert thinking "I can't wait to hear 'An Cat Dub' live!" :eyebrow: )

yeah, but i just feel this thread has turned into from saying the stage is exactly the same to being disappointed about the whole tour because the oval = heart

bcrt2000 said:

forget about the heart/oval catwalks.. do you still feel the same way then? from the pictures/audio from last night, it just sounds different, a lot tighter creatively than elevation in terms of setlist choices

I was at the dress rehearsal not opening night but it was basically the same show bar a few songs.

The glaring things to me in terms of similarities between Vertigo and Elevation is the stage itself. Disregard lighting and strip it down its the same stage in terms of height and size except its lighted more and more circular. The catwalk adds even more to the similarities. Look at the load in pics from last night and from Elevation its eerie how similar it is. Truthfully that is the only similarity but it's glaring at how similar it is.

The light show is spectacular and truly the best addition. This tour in terms of staging is Elevation Pt 2, except from first viewing its like Godfather II where the sequel beats the original. If it is Elevation Pt 2 its not a bad thing, but for me I expect something totally different from U2. ZooTV and Popmart both had similarities but the CHANGES destroyed the similarities. Same goes from Popmart to Elevation. I was expecting and hoping for something totally unique to the band but other than songs and music, the staging itself is very similar.

That being said, I've not heard Bono this strong in years. Maybe since Zoo TV. I could watch this band perform on a blood soaked mattress with Tonya Harding and Kirstie Alley butt naked doing experimental ballet and I'd still want to go and still enjoy it.

The one thing I dont get about a lot of U2 fans, are the ones who just cant handle any criticism, especially the ones that werent even at the shows and are basing their opinion on photographs.

Last edited:
bonosleftone said:

The one thing I dont get about a lot of U2 fans, are the ones who just cant handle any criticism, especially the ones that werent even at the shows and are basing their opinion on photographs.

hey hey, i was basing it on photographs AND audio :wink:

but yeah i hear what you're saying in terms of criticism.. but at the same time i guess i always EXPECTED the heart to come back so it wasn't a disappointment to me

bcrt2000 said:

hey hey, i was basing it on photographs AND audio :wink:

but yeah i hear what you're saying in terms of criticism.. but at the same time i guess i always EXPECTED the heart to come back so it wasn't a disappointment to me

heh, I wasnt directing that at anyone in particular, but even with photos if someone cant see the similarities they're blind as a bat.

It is a different tour, but as I stated the similarities are far more in your face than the changes, other than the lights and LED curtain.

I expected similarities just as its been pointed out they carry something or things over from tour to tour, but I didnt expect it to be this close.

U2girl said:
Zoo TV was the first to have a conceptual idea. Popmarrt repeated that.
Zoo TV was the first to have the B-stage and catwalk. Popmart repeated that.
Zoo TV was the first to use TV screens. Popmart repeated that.
Zoo TV was the first to use stage accesories. Popmart repeated that.

The only similarity is the ramp outside the stage - yes the oval replaced the
heart.
You also got the stage lit, which Elevation didn't have, and the lightbulb
curtains and the very different setlist.
1) Every U2 show has a conceptual idea ever since their Unforgetable Fire tour
2) The outdoor Joshua Tree tour was the first with catwalk and b-stage
3) Eversince the videowall was invented (around Zoo-TV) every major band uses
them live
4) Even during the War tour U2 used accesories! Think of the white flags!

Looking at the above Zoo-TV and Popmart seem to look a hell of a lot like the
War and Joshua Tree tour don't you think :-D

You are really making stupid Zoo-TV - Popmart comparisons as they are not alike
in any way! How naive can you be!

(ps.. Still waiting on a reply from doctorwho, beause just what I expected.. Big mouth, but no reply..)

The Joshua Tree stage did not have a catwalk and B-stage. U2 first used that one for ZooTV and recycled it with Popmart.
And yes, I'd also argue that there isn't a big difference between ZooTV and Popmart. B-stage, huge screens and interesting props (Trabants, lemons, etc.). So where's the big difference in that.

In the same vein, the Elevation & Vertigo setups are quite alike. Just as they're also quite like the setup for The Unforgettable Fire tour (to name just another example). Open stage, in the round seating, etc.

The way I see it, you have only 2 options when you have the stage at one end of the arena. Either the stage is open for in the round seating, so there is an unobstructed view. Or there are no behind-the-stage seats in which case there is video behind the band.
Oh, and the third option is to have just a backdrop, but then there would be a storm of criticism here on this board. :wink:

I think if anything it is a mix of Popmart and Elevation and honestly that is not a bad thing at all.

Neilz said:

1) Every U2 show has a conceptual idea ever since their Unforgetable Fire tour
2) The outdoor Joshua Tree tour was the first with catwalk and b-stage
3) Eversince the videowall was invented (around Zoo-TV) every major band uses
them live
4) Even during the War tour U2 used accesories! Think of the white flags!

Looking at the above Zoo-TV and Popmart seem to look a hell of a lot like the
War and Joshua Tree tour don't you think :-D

You are really making stupid Zoo-TV - Popmart comparisons as they are not alike
in any way! How naive can you be!

(ps.. Still waiting on a reply from doctorwho, beause just what I expected.. Big mouth, but no reply..)

1) No. Zoo TV was the first to have a concept.
2) No. That was Zoo TV.
3) We're not talking about other bands are we? They repeated the screen thing on Popmart.
4) Um, trabants and lemons do not equal waving a white flag.

I was saying Popmart stage borrowed A LOT of ideas from Zoo TV, I did not say the were alike. (The band themselves said they wanted to outdoo Zoo TV). Try reading more carefully next time.

Bonosleftone: it's not about who was at the show. We have all seen the pictures and can make our opinions.
This is NOT Elevation part II - the stage itself is round and lit up (the target upon which they play), which U2 didn't have before, the lightbulb curtains are new, they did not have the acoustic part. Last but not least, the setlists are completely different.
As for the oval, AGAIN, yes it is inspired from the heart. Still, it beats having a usual straight catwalk and a B-stage and it's more fresh as an idea.

Someone said this tour is like "Popmart for arenas" and those curtains reminded me of the Popmart screen, definitely.

Last edited:
Yahweh said:
I think if anything it is a mix of Popmart and Elevation and honestly that is not a bad thing at all.

With more and more photos online...
I agree with you. :) :up:

It will be funny, in the future, to look at the past tours and to have a bald Bono with those bulbs behind him and then older Bono with longer hair and still with those flashing bulbs...:wink:
Like if they never left PopMart.

God, I can't wait for European shows to start:drool:
(I can already see all those threads that the stage looks like the one from PopMart, just like Vertigo-arena-stage looks like elevation... ehhh:rolleyes: )

Now, seriously, what's wrong with mixing the most interesting tour with the most grossing tour?
PopVertilationMart Tour:wink:

The heart was ridiculously successful on Elevation, so the band would have been mad to get rid of it, and no matter what they did with it, people would have said it's like Elevation.

And you people saying that Vertigo is just an extension of Elevation - did U2 do just one tour in the eighties then? Wow, the backdrop changed to reflect the album - there are so many more similarities than differences so U2 were repeating themselves the whole time! :rolleyes:

By the way, the first time U2 used a b-stage was at one show (I forget which) on the first leg of the War Tour.

ok well i was at the show last night

and as soon as i got in the first thing i thought was that it looked like elevation part 2

just seeing the stage before the band comes out it looks almost exactly the same, except the catwalk is an oval shape instead of a heart

the only major difference when they were playing was the curtain of lights that was sometimes behind them, now they were cool, but not overly spectacular

i just think there was too much build up for what the production was going to be like. rumors of magicians coming in to help with the effects, the stage moving so bad seats would become good ones, people in the last row being a part of the show, the new audio technology, and all that stuff made it sound like it was going to be a huge spectacle, but it really wasnt much more of a spectacle than elevation.

now is this a bad thing? no, not really. the show was amazing and i cant wait to see them again.

but it is true, the production of the 2 tours is very similiar

Well, I think it was clear that all those rumors were about European leg... on stadiums Elevation stage was realy bad (IMO of course). They wont do the same thing with Vertigo.

Back
Top Bottom