Have and Have Nots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
Alot of people slammed U2 for instituting the "1 gig per leg" type policy.

So, I'm curious how people who have not yet gotten any tickets feel about those who've gotten tickets to 2, 3, or even 4 shows?

If the band was wrong for doing this, maybe fans should "do the right thing" and make sure every U2 fan sees at least 1 show.

Last edited:
I always think that. I don't really see the appeal of seeing an almost identical show night after night. I know no show is the same as the next, but I think seeing it again would make it less special or something.

I'm not going to see U2 so someone can have my place.

But if I want to see every single show a band does, and I can afford/get tickets, I'm sure as hell going to do it. Just last year I saw the same bands (opener and headliner) five times in five nights in a row and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I got to see three amazing shows, one shaky show (still had it's charms though), and one pretty damned bad one (oddly it was the one where I enjoyed the overall experience the most). I do know I would have been unhappy if the only show I'd been able to catch on the tour was the bad one, but because I'd seen them a couple of times before and would see them a couple of times after I was able to enjoy the fun parts.

Besides if people can't get tickets through Ticketbastard, they can always try scalpers. ;)

Last edited:
My wife and I went to 37 shows collectively last tour (we didn't know each other until my last one Phoenix leg 3) and we only got 2 total tix on onsales.

U2 is too big a band to think you will get tickets from Ticketmaster. Other means are found.

If you want to travel and can get tickets however you can, go for it.

I have to admit I kind of resent people who are grabbing up tickets for show after show. I mean, if you have the money to do that, good for you, but what about the rest of us? For every U2 fan who gets to go to three or four shows, there are plenty who don't even get to see one, and that doesn't seem fair. I'm in grad school and money is so tight--I can't jet off to LA and Chicago and Miami and Dublin.

I'm hoping to get a ticket for Philly, and hopefully one show in the fall. I can't afford to buy scalped tickets. I can't just drive 5 hours to Philly and hope to maybe get a ticket and risk getting ripped off or turning around and going home without having seen the show.

The last (and so far only) time I saw U2, back in '97 in Philly, my seats were so bad that the band looked small enough to fit in Matchbox cars. But I LOVED every minute of the show. Hell, I'll admit it, Bono came out on stage and there I am way in the back crying. I was 18, two weeks out of high school, and I'd been waiting for that show for four months. And it was worth every second of the wait.

In the months since HTDAAB came out, I've been eagerly waiting for an annoucement of tour dates, remembering how much I loved that first show. I've been hoping I could get close enough to actually see the band even just a little better than last time and to meet more die-hard U2 fans like me. Now I'm sick knowing that I'm going to get up in the morning and get on Ticketmaster, and the chances of me getting a ticket I can actually afford are slim to none.

Remember what the Grateful Dead used to do? They had a mailing list, where you'd send away for tickets. They never dealt with Ticketmaster, and they didn't make their fans pay to take part in this service. And if U2 did the same, maybe they'd outsmart some scalpers, while making sure tickets get into the hands of people who really want them.

I'm not saying we should all start wearing tie-dye and growing our hair long, but I think U2 fans could learn a lot from Deadheads, especially that what's most important is sharing the amazing experience of live shows with as many people as possible, not just the ones who have the most money.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I have to admit I kind of resent people who are grabbing up tickets for show after show. I mean, if you have the money to do that, good for you, but what about the rest of us? For every U2 fan who gets to go to three or four shows, there are plenty who don't even get to see one, and that doesn't seem fair. I'm in grad school and money is so tight--I can't jet off to LA and Chicago and Miami and Dublin.

Same here. I'm annoyed by people that have GA tickets to San Jose and they don't even live anywhere close........the band will come somewhere closer than that to your hometown, so go then! Instead, they're going to get front row seats at my home show, and I don't drive and am also a college student, so my only other hope for a GA show is if there's a second one in San Jose and I get lucky.

I dont mind at all the rule about 1 show. It makes it fair or at least tries to.

My only gripe with this entire deal is the way the presale was executed. Hell, even the prices dont faze me too much because they were "virtually" the same for Elevation.

It's a tough call. I am obviously biased, as I don't have the financial resources or schedule flexibility to see multiple shows. So I want to say that it's a little selfish for people be seeing shows all across the country when only one show would make my entire year. So I must say I am not too disappointed with U2's ticketing restrictions. But that's just because it doesn't apply to me, otherwise I'd be pissed. ;)

On the other hand, if you're that big of a fan that you are willing to travel with the band, go for it. I'd rather see you with the tickets than some semi-fan who just happened to come across tickets and only really likes The Joshua Tree and a couple other songs.

Still though, from the perspective of someone who has never been to a U2 concert and have been looking forward to this tour ever since I discovered their amazing music (3 years ago), I would like to think that other U2 fans appreciate how special their concerts are willing to help out those who've never been.

As far as going night after night to a concert, I've only done that once in the past - when I went to 6 shows on a tour. I was able to "top" each concert by getting seats that were closer and closer to the stage each time, finally ending up 3rd row from the stage. But I think its only worth repeating the experience if you can somehow top the time before. Also, seeing a show more than once ensures that you don't catch a "bad night" - either when you're having an off night or the band is having an off night.

I have no idea how hard it is going to be to get tickets tomorrow (since I already gave up my tickets from the pre-sale). But my plan is to try for every U.S. show, hoping that I can get tickets for one or maybe two shows. I will plan a trip around whatever I manage to get, or otherwise just wait until the Fall tour.

I say if you have the money - go for it. You only live once and its a free country. But 37 shows seems a little crazy... (guess i'm jealous of that :)

BigMacPhisto said:

Same here. I'm annoyed by people that have GA tickets to San Jose and they don't even live anywhere close........the band will come somewhere closer than that to your hometown, so go then! Instead, they're going to get front row seats at my home show, and I don't drive and am also a college student, so my only other hope for a GA show is if there's a second one in San Jose and I get lucky.

I assume you're directing this at me, since I'm one of maybe three people here who was lucky and got GA for that show.

I'm sorry that you weren't able to score tickets, but it's like you said, we got lucky. I work hard for my money, and when my favorite band tours I like to use that money to see them as many times as I can. I did that for Elevation, and made many friends and memories as a result. So, when given the chance again, there's no way I'd give that up.

I hope that if they add a second show you get GAs.

If one has the resources (re: money and time), let them do as they wish. I'm not going to be upset at someone for having different circumstances than I...

Even for those that are just going to one show...that's one more show than a lot of other fans.

To those of you who are poor students -- just remember most of the rest of us have been there. Many bands I didn't get to see (including U2) because of financial reasons. Some were still around and performing when I finally had the money to see them, others were not. Accepting that you don't always get what you want is part of growing up.

Nevertheless, I wish you good luck getting affordable tickets to a show or shows.

I got standing tickets for the added date in London since the presale only got me some really crappy seats for the 18th June date in London, and that costed me a lot of money! It's really a shame since the presale code didn't work at the beginning so I could only do the purchase when I managed to use my code the next day. All I got were some seats at the other end of the stadium. :mad:
Therefore I bought the standing tickets for the added date in London through ticketmaster yesterday, after trying for more than 20 minutes... reload reload reload...

I have nothing against those who got seats; enjoy them.
I had seats and returned them because I'm not going to be fucked by ticketmaster...even for u2.
I'll try to get tickets that I feel are fair somehow.

I've got nothing against current ticketholders, either. I just hope I'm one of them by tomorrow...

If I don't get tickets, will someone at least buy me a T-shirt? I look best in blue! :D

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I work hard for my money, and when my favorite band tours I like to use that money to see them as many times as I can.

right on, april. :up:

i haven't seen U2 live since the joshua tree tour, and i'll tell you why.

during zoo, i was pregnant with my daughter. i was getting married and getting ready to start a family. weddings and babies get expensive. during POP, i was busy helping to put my husband through school. can you say student loan? for elevation, dammit, i was going through my divorce, and divorces aren't cheap. there was no way i could afford to get tickets. not for any of these tours, and it killed me every time.

but now, finally, it is well within my means to afford to not only travel six or seven hours to see the band, but to get my GA tickets through an agency if i have to. and believe me, i will.

i'm sorry if people can't afford to go, but that's really not my problem.

i missed my shows. i've waited for this. i owe them nothing.

Right on, bg and April.

I really feel bad for those of you who won't be able to make it to a show this tour, but there's no way in hell you're making me feel guilty for seeing them myself.

I think a 1 show limit is a bit extreme I could see a 4 show limit being realistic.

Concerts are luxuries, not necessities. Luxuries by their nature are more accessible to those with more money. If someone was buying up all your college textbooks I might be a little more understanding.

If you can't afford to spend more than $50 to see a show, then you have to live with the fact that you're in the ticket bracket with the most competition and have the highest chance of not getting a ticket. Sad but true. :shrug:

Concert tickets are luxuries, but people gobbling up primo tickets for 8-10 shows should be drawn and quartered.

Diemen said:
Concerts are luxuries, not necessities. Luxuries by their nature are more accessible to those with more money. If someone was buying up all your college textbooks I might be a little more understanding.

If you can't afford to spend more than $50 to see a show, then you have to live with the fact that you're in the ticket bracket with the most competition and have the highest chance of not getting a ticket. Sad but true. :shrug:

Agreed!

I was starting Grad school when I went to see U2 during the Elevation tour.

I skipped classes, flew to Vegas, Baltimore, etc.

It is called charging it on your CC and paying for it with the awesome job you get when you graduate. Not a good thing to do but I try enjoy life and seeing those concerts made my life enjoyable.

And now I have a job but have lots of student loans to pay, U2 doesn't tour every day so I am going to take advantage.

Sorry, You're not going to make me feel guilty!!

Re: U2's Decision to implement a 1-show limit

You mean I'm going to be competing for tickets with people from the Atlanta area mainly, not the entire country? You mean I won't lose tickets to my first and possibly only show to someone who's seen them 20+ times? WOOHOO! Oh, I mean, ummm...bummer.

I know it sucks that this isn't the kind of concert where you'll be able to follow the band, and get to know them, and have them send you all Christmas cards, but it's one of the sacrifices you make when you're seeing the biggest band in the world on tour. Can't have it both ways.

I understand why people would be upset with it, but for my personal situation, this is a real plus.

if people are stupid enough to drop thousands of dollars travelling around the country, then they can pay the $500 scalper prices.

i will say that i did want to go to 2 shows, i'll be going to 1 with my mom, and she doesn't do GA. so i was hoping to go with a friend to another show, if i could get GA tickets.

it's more of "wow, you're flying across the country for multiple concerts? you're a loser." than anything else.

Really, I think this people think of this question in the same way they think of:

"Do you feel guilty about living in a warm house, eating fresh food, and buying luxaries like music albums or concert tickets when there are people starving in other parts of the world?"

I mean, yeah, sure, I guess we theoretically feel bad about it. But at the same time, it's not like we feel guilty for living the way we do. Should we help them? Probably? Do we feel bad about not? Not really.

(I would like to add that in no means am I saying that not seeing U2 is like starving to death. It's just an analogy, it's not supposed to be perfect ;))

I think it's funny that so many here are adamantly against communism...except when it comes to getting U2 tickets. :eyebrow:

indra said:
I think it's funny that so many here are adamantly against communism...except when it comes to getting U2 tickets. :eyebrow:
It's not Communism, it's welfare. Huge difference.

fmattyh said:
It's not Communism, it's welfare. Huge difference.

Okaaayy. So under normal conditions (such as buying food), how many people here love welfare? Or does thinking that's a wonderful idea only apply to U2 tickets? ;)

Back
Top Bottom