Does the show start at the encore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I have had this nagging thought lately that the Performance starts at 9:15 PM, but eh show actually starts at the first encore.

What I mean by this is that basically the band comes out and plays the songs they are going to play every night. That is the performance aspect of the night, but when they start to switch things up really does not happen until the encore. This is really what many of us go to see - the show.

I had this feeling Friday night that the band were pretty much going through the paces (Streets, BTBS, Pride) and was kind of like "ho-hum" but then the encore started and we got First Time, Fast Cars, Crumbs, and WOWY to close. Some different things from previous shows - exciting.

So I wonder if the bulk of the show is now considered the manditory performance by the band, but the encore is where they get to switch it up and play around.

Even from teh feeling of the encore (the songs were played much looser) it felt like they were having a better time.

I don't know - just an observation. I think over the next 3 shows we may see this theory come true, or they can simply surprise me again...

Yeah I get this same feeling. Although early on there can be a little variety. But once they hit Love and Peace you know exactly what you are going to get until the encores. I enjoy the show up until Sunday Bloody Sunday, but once that song hits I'm basically waiting it out until the encores start. Out of this group of songs:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet
Miss Sarajevo
Pride
Streets
One

The only song that I really enjoy is Streets, and even that hasn't been as good this tour as in the past, which I blame to setlist placement.

So basically, during this stretch of songs all I'm thinking is, all right, let's get this over with so we can see something exciting in the encore.

dunno, i still enjoy the main set? as i am sure many others do, but yes it seems they the encores are when they will change things up abit, i think its abit unfair to say "the show" only gets going then though, as the main set as many songs in there that are the reason people got into the band

I see what you're saying, ouizy.... I think it kind of makes sense. I made the argument a few months ago that the Vertigo Tour is about putting on the Vertigo Show--putting something out there with a few specific goals & themes in mind. That's why you've heard Bono say a few times that certain songs "don't fit" on this tour, or "yeah, I guess that fits" (from the Fast Cars fan story about asking for it to be played). That leaves the encores to be the fun, mix-it-up parts, which is what I always kinda thought an encore would be anyway.

I just hope I never get to the point where I'm riding out half a U2 show waiting for something else... :shrug:

I feel like you guys do too. I just felt very "ho hum" during most of the main set, but very excited during the encore when the band actually came alive. It made me sad to feel that way, but that was my kneejerk reaction to most of the new material.

Chizip...Streets has raised the roof at all of the shows I was at this tour. Same with SBS.

1stOne said:
Chizip...Streets has raised the roof at all of the shows I was at this tour. Same with SBS.
the song that brought manchester 1 to its feet if i remember correctly,

To be honest I think Streets and BTBS were total snoozefests at MSG.

SBS was killer (as it always has been and always will be), but it was the encore songs which made me really think "wow - something really special is happening here."

Fast Cars was amazing, Crumbs was great, and it was great because it was loose, no tech effect, and basically just white light.

I think the band enjoyed playing it, even if the crowd was not as into it as Streets lets say.

I dunno - I think the warhorses should go.

There are only so many times when the band can hit the four-light molefays at the beginning of Streets for it to be surprising or special, I mean when the crowd knows what the lighting cues are that are coming up, I think there is something wrong.

And by the way - I really dug the Barco MiSpheres a lot more this time, I change my opinion and think that they were a pretty interesting product developed for this tour.

I did, however, notice the absence of Willie at the show. maybe it is all in my head, but I know there were effects missing that he triggered, and this time round, they were not used.

Anyway - still very much looking forward to Friday.

It's been said before, but I agree that the encores are generally where you get the variety during the third leg of this tour, so you look forward to them to see what they're going to play.

Saturday was a surprise, though, with I Will Follow and All I Want Is You replacing the Electric Co./The Ocean duo early in the set.

And while I was personally disappointed not to hear Crumbs, which I really love, and Yahweh, which was beautiful when I saw and heard them in East Rutherford in May, hearing Fast Cars was a treat. And singing along with the crowd during 40 after the band had left the stage....that was magic. Pure magic.

Chizip said:
Yeah I get this same feeling. Although early on there can be a little variety. But once they hit Love and Peace you know exactly what you are going to get until the encores. I enjoy the show up until Sunday Bloody Sunday, but once that song hits I'm basically waiting it out until the encores start. Out of this group of songs:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet
Miss Sarajevo
Pride
Streets
One

The only song that I really enjoy is Streets, and even that hasn't been as good this tour as in the past, which I blame to setlist placement.

So basically, during this stretch of songs all I'm thinking is, all right, let's get this over with so we can see something exciting in the encore.

wow that a pretty sad mentality to have at a concert. maybe youve been to too many shows that its just not exciting for you anymore. I wouldnt want to pay for a ticket and only enjoy then 2nd hour the the show.

When you've been in the GA line all day, you're dehydrated, and ankles are swelling to the size of softballs, then yes, during Bullet/Pride/One (and Miss Sarajevo :reject: ) I am just hoping for the songs to be over because I know the encore is going to be amazing and don't know what to expect.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
If I never heard BTBS or Pride live ever again I would be a very happy girl. :|

I feel the same. :|
I think I'd like SBS more if it wasn't played every freaking night. As for Streets, I haven't liked this version/placement since the first show I saw back in may. I agree with those who say 'ho-hum' from SBS--One.

The encores are what I wait for. :wink:

I think it's different for the people like us that go to many shows or follow every setlist vs. the people that go to one.

I went to the show on the 7th with someone who had not been to any other show. They were enthralled through the whole performance. At the end their highlights had been Streets, Pride, One and BD. The two idiots (a guy & a girl) :| in front of me on the 8th who spent the whole show talking to each other and making phone calls only seemed semi animated for those songs.

As far as Bullet is concerned I think it's a hightlight for very few people. :wink:

I am starting to think the band should just play Vertigo and then leave the stage.

Come back for a 22 song encore of various late '80s early '90s songs...

1stOne said:

:yes: Listen to the crowd reaction to those two and Pride on bootlegs.

THAT's why it's still played.

ouizy said:
I am starting to think the band should just play Vertigo and then leave the stage.

Come back for a 22 song encore of various late '80s early '90s songs...
bit unfair on the "newer" fans isnt it? :wink:

I saw my first U2 show this year (Croke 2) and I have to say I found the bits I normally get bored at (on the boots) to be amazing. SBS was just amazing to get to hear live; and I'll admit I thought that hearing Bullet was great. With the graphics on the screen and everything; I really enjoyed it. But I definately understand what you're saying. The encores are what hold the surprises at the minute.

Chizip said:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet
Miss Sarajevo
Pride
Streets
One

:rockon:

ramblin rose said:
The two idiots (a guy & a girl) :| in front of me on the 8th who spent the whole show talking to each other and making phone calls only seemed semi animated for those songs.

well its good to know u2 are trying to make the idiots happy :wink:

Ein20nFCtzlicher20Idiot.jpg

ramblin rose said:
I think it's different for the people like us that go to many shows or follow every setlist vs. the people that go to one.

I went to the show on the 7th with someone who had not been to any other show. They were enthralled through the whole performance. At the end their highlights had been Streets, Pride, One and BD. The two idiots (a guy & a girl) :| in front of me on the 8th who spent the whole show talking to each other and making phone calls only seemed semi animated for those songs.

As far as Bullet is concerned I think it's a hightlight for very few people. :wink:

Folks, Sorry as someone just mentioned earlier, you'all been to too many shows and your bored looking for variety IMO. The core setlist with SBS, Streets, Bullet & Pride defines who U2 is, where they have been and what they represent. The true IRISH rockers that they are. Let's hope this doesn't change because 99% of the fans are seeing them one time only and it's a highlight for them.

bigwali said:

Folks, Sorry as someone just mentioned earlier, you'all been to too many shows and your bored looking for variety IMO. The core setlist with SBS, Streets, Bullet & Pride defines who U2 is, where they have been and what they represent.

Maybe it's time for U2 to redefine themselves then. :shrug:

HelloAngel said:
I feel like you guys do too. I just felt very "ho hum" during most of the main set, but very excited during the encore when the band actually came alive. It made me sad to feel that way, but that was my kneejerk reaction to most of the new material.

This could be a by-product of how often you've seen them though. For example, when I saw the recent shows in Boston, by then, I was seeing my 5th and 6th shows on this tour. I have audio and video boots, and I read setlist news. So I know this tour well. As such, I know what to expect. Consequently, since the anticipation factor is gone, there might be a bit of this "ho hum" feeling.

That said, I absolutely adored hearing "Miss Sarajevo" live. Bono's operatic vocals give me chills every time.

Also, for those who haven't seen the concert so often, I think the main setlist is really strong.

See, I don't know about that. My sister, who thinks I'm a freak, has seen U2 4 times. (2 popmart, 1 elevation, 1 vertigo.) After the show in may we were talking about the setlist and she was a bit bored by the same songs I was. :shrug: She nearly peed her pants during Zoo Station though.

She doesn't read this board (thank god for that), she doesn't follow the setlists, and she even sold her GA for the show on the 21st. :angry: I have to believe that there are casual fans out there, who only go to one show, who don't want to hear BTBS, Pride, etc every single tour. Right? Right!? :D

I will admit that I could do without a lot of songs.

For example, as much as I realize that L&P, "Sunday" and "Bullet" go together, I'm so sick of hearing "Bullet" that I wouldn't mind missing it. "Pride" is great, but again, we've heard it for years. I'd love to hear something fresh too.

If it were up to me, I'd jettison WoWY and "Bullet" from JT, add more AB (a lot more), throw in more "Zooropa" (not just the slow songs), and perhaps toss in some R&H and "Pop". Keep the main 7-9 songs from HTDAAB, but mix up the rest.

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I"m going to see my 2nd & 3rd Vertigo shows this month, Houston & Dallas. I'm afraid I might be a bit bored too. I haven't even downloaded but one show this tour.

I don't mind if U2 plays the same setlist with the new material but hearing Bullet, SBS, Pride, and One has become a chore for most die hards. Hearing One in May at Chicago I did nothing for me. Same with Pride. Bullet and SBS were :drool: . The thing I don't understand is why U2 doesn't mix up the hits every night. They have the skill to do this. Rotate 8-10 hits a night. Pick between:

Bullet
Pride
ISHFWILF
WOWY
NYD
SBS
Bad
IWF
WTSHNN
All I Want Is You
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
One
UTEOTW

Being at a show and not knowing what warhorses you'll here would keep die hards at the edge of their seat and songs more special.
I just don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom