"40" Switching Instruments More

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WKMahler

The Fly
Hi,

I just got done reading Rollling Stone magazine and the 4 star review of U2's opening night in San Diego, March 28. What no one in wire-uw, u2-list, alt.fan.u2 and alt.music.u2 mentioned was that a long dormant tradition was anewed. The Edge and Adam Clayton switch instruments for the song "40" according to the magazine.

For the record, when I logged in, it read that I had not logged in since November 2004 but I was definatly here last week.

I've got all the California shows audio, .wav and d/l 4/15 now.

B & P's accepted, no limit.

One last word though.

For those of you who watch entertainment news television and or are employed by any, get something straight. Zelda Willliams, daughter of Robin Williams is either 15 or 19 according to two different tv shows. Albiet she is a beauty, it's almost embarrasing to think one age and know another the next week.

I don't know about you but I for one think Robin & Bono could pass as a twins.......

Hoping U2 will pull out a rarity by all means, "So Cruel" from Achtung Baby during any Vertigo tour show.

WKMahler

the switching of instruments was indeed mentioned by several sources...

And yeah... I'm a little confused by the rest of your post :wink:

I'm not surprised that the Edge can play bass. I expect he could probably pick up rudimentary cello in a pinch if he had to.

I am surprised at how comfortalble Adam looks on guitar, though. I suppose that good musicians are basically just that. (Although Bono looks pretty uncomfortable still on guitar.)

Interestingly, the guitar that Adam appears to have played during 40 does not appear to be be one of the Edge's guitars -- it is a strat. Whereas I'm pretty sure that the Edge has been playing one of Adam's basses.

I think it's easier for Adam than for Bono. Adam does play guitar, it's just a bass guitar, for 99% of the songs, whereas Bono plays guitar, not as much.

I did read in a foreword written by Bill Flanagan, to a book that had all of U2's studio albums up til ATYCLB, transcribed in musical notation, that while composing, Adam occasionally would pick up a guitar and play a few notes or a line for Edge to try out.

Edge is a frustrated drummer though, or so says Bono ;).

Back
Top Bottom