03rd October Boston - Fleet Center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
great stuff last night, nice acoustic encore. Which was completely the opposite of the encore I saw at Boston II in the spring which was rocking and 'Out of Control'
Miss Sarajevo was amazing, but the tenor notes killed Bono's voice for Pride. He was fine after that again.
MLK was played at the end of One.

The First Time (Reprise version from MDH Soundtrack) was great and Who's Gonna Ride (Temple Bar version) was another bonus I was hoping to hear.

I can't believe there is only one review for last night's Boston show and "0" reviews on U2.tours.com. What gives? From the reviews in the Boston newspapers, it sounds like it was a great show. Where are all the fan reviews???

u2tours page hasnt been updated because there isnt even comments on their page yet. I sent in a review there, Im sure a bunch will show up at the same time.
Dont know why there isnt more on here though...

OK here is my long review, that I did w/ my friend Jennifer for some of our other friends. The pieces we could put together. I didn't get to finish it (have to get ready for tonight!!) but will post the ending asap.

:) Olive

COBL
We see Bono being led up to the stairs to come out, and every time I've seen him here, he seems like a little child, hunched over, and limping (on purpose). And then he's on stage and it's like another person enters his body. But it's a very different approach to coming on stage when compared to opening 2001 with Elevation, with all his hopping and jumping.

Vertigo
There was a glitch with the band at the start. It was during this song that we knew it was going to be off the charts- Bono changes the line to "And everyone gets out of here alive" and shouting very energetic "yeah yeah". Right off the bat he seemed totally excited and loud and hitting every note, most of them holding them for longer. The first three or four songs were probably almost one minute longer each because of his additional notes and elongated endings.

Elevation
Only after 1 round of the "woo hoos" with the crowd and he's spotted the pregnant woman, and he held up her sign, said something about Massachusetts (I don't really remember, but I think it was something to the point of "it pays to advertise") and then she was on the stage, presto! J and I couldn't believe it, so soon!!! Afterward he was gesturing to his own belly, rubbing it suggestively with both hands. After the song he grabbed the mic from the stand and said "this is gonna be fun."

Electric Co
He sang "Bullet w/ Butterfly" lines over and over and over, totally getting more and more out of control with each line he repeated. I have to say he must have gotten a huge kick from the Edge, who was mental during this song, I've never seen him play the guitar like this before, just tearing it apart. All I could think of was them at the Pearl Jam show and how Bono sang there that Eddie showed him again (about rock and roll). This song was really great.

Ocean
Bono drew out the opening to this song, and it was our first chance to breath and realize we were already sweaty! (Bono was drenched, I noticed!) Bono sang "Paradise Club" a couple of times (a tribute to where they first played here 20 years ago) and he said that the Ocean was "quite a song for 17, 18 year olds to write". Towards the end he got us clapping in a different rhythm and extended the song.

ISHFWILF
This song was a huge highlight of the night for me. First, it was unexpected in the setlist at this point. Second, it was the unifying moment in the show between band and audience. Bono gave a speech before hand which I cannot remember right now (ooh but he said some stuff like, thanking us for all our money and years and stuff like that) and then he sang the first stanza of the song and then the audience started singing, and I think he noticed how powerfully we were singing, and he pulled back, and the crowd continued to sing, every line, every word, of that second stanza. It. Was. Beautiful. It was a sharing, loving, communal moment, with band listening and receiving their words back to them. Bono was visibly moved, and I think everyone's skin was electric after these moments. Bono joined back in and we all sang the rest of the song together. Towards the end Bono actually said "this is our tribe. And I don't just mean the Irish." and he said "Clap with our tribe" and we were all clapping together. (Maybe this part came during Electric Co?) He said "sometimes you forget but it always comes back even better", and other things about MA, meaning that sometimes you forget how amazing the show is, but then it comes rushing back even better. :heart: Also during this song he asked for the lights to go up!! The full house lights didn't come up but they came half up.

Beautiful Day
During "thought I'd found a friend" he very determinedly went into the crowd and grabbed hands with someone, holding on like he used to do during Elevation tour. It was nice to see. He sang "See John Kerry right in front of you" which was a nice nod to the Senator at the show tonight. (Someone before the show asked me who had entered that everyone was cheering for. When I told him John Kerry, he said "who?" :sad: ) At the end of this song B was at the tip and sang a snippet, which we can't remember. I think this is the point he sang words like "Indian summer" (during which my heart flipped over, thinking they would throw that snippet in!! :laugh: ) and he snag "Beautiful weather, beautiful days" kind of thing. -- OK I just saw that it was "Too Many Rivers To Cross" which makes sense, because I heard him say the "white cliffs of dover" and I mistakenly thought he sang that song. This was very beautiful.

Miracle Drug
Great speech before hand (he was so succinct tonight!) and he mentions 2 specific doctors who led the fight against AIDS and were with us tonight. He spoke so well, and actually it came out something like "usually we dedicate this song to doctors and nurses, especially nurses [smiles at the cheers] but tonight we're dedicating it to (paraphrasing-) two doctors who, without which, we would not have the AIDS emergency *pause, my heart pounding* in the forefront of politics" or something like that. So halfway through I thought why is he talking about doctors who brought on the AIDS emergency? Suspense! ;)

He was v. emotional during the song, just lost in it, moving and rocking and swaying during the last two lines. He repeated the last line 3x, instead of 2x. I kept on waiting, baited breath, for him to go UP on the last "drug" he sings. He did this in NJ2 last leg, and I have to say it's the most beautiful MD I've ever ever heard. I was hoping soooo much he'd do it again, but he sang its destined note. If you ever get a chance, listen to NJ2 Miracle Drug, it is stunning.

Sometimes
He held the high note "sing" for ages. He looked so beautiful without his glasses, so open. He finishes up at the tip, and he turned aorund to look and stare at the band. I'm nto sure if he was getting their support (my first thought) or if he was trying to communicate to them that he wanted the song extended? I believe he added a snippet here, or was singing about dad or something??

LAPOE
When Larry was playing the drums on the catwalk for LAPOE, he dropped one of the drumsticks, and so he gave this very cute, very small and sly smile, and I had to look twice because he kept moving his hand as if he had the stick (probably to keep the beat) and then he put his hand out and a crew member fumbled furiously to place a new stick in his hand. Bono, ever so keen, noticed and rushed over to tap the drum playfully with the mic, making Larry laugh.

SBS
Clapping, people taking over again, Edge going nuts. These next 2 songs sometimes lose me, so I can formulate thoughts, and I thought last night how amazing and priviliged I was to be there that night, listening to the freaking Edge 30 feet from me playing Sunday Bloody Sunday with his band in front of me. Those moments of realization are always overwhelming!!

Bullet
When blindfolded, Bono was crawling on his hands and knees towards the mic, then he stands up and does his blindfold walk to the stand. I always get nervous he's not gonna find it! Adam was in this tantric sex trance, I swear to God, during the song, just moving rhthmically and so sexually, swaying and rocking and playing his bass, it was unbelievable. (Up to this point and after too, Adam was ALL SMILES and winks the entire show!! Great great great!!)

Miss Sarajevo
Another beautiful intro speech about Sarajevo girls defying the war and the violence, getting beautiful, putting on a beauty pageant in the midst of all the ugly horror, and essentially saying "are you gonna kill us now?" Bono did a bit about having put on weight like Pav, and gave a guilty smile. Crowd was a bit talkative at the start but as soon as Bono began to gain strength before the opera bit, they were mesmorized. It was just mesmorizing. Beautiful!!!

Pride
Changed the lyric: "One man bethrothed, betrayed with a kiss" very distinctly and purposefully. First time I'd heard that clever lyric addition. Another wonderful intro this time into Streets. Also during this song he got something caught in his throat, like he swallowed wrong, and had to pull away from the mic, and was indicating for the audience to sing, he was trying to laugh/smile at the edge but he kept having to cough. It went on for long enough for me to grow concerned that his vocal chord had snapped (lol at me, not paniced or anything) but then he belted out the next note before I knew it and was back on track.

Where the Streets Have No Name
Phenomenal as usual. The ending was the most striking, after the band had worked the audience into a frenzy, the air was thick with heat and smoke and the red hued audience was just mad, screaming for their lives, cheering, moving their arms through the haze, waving at each other and for the band. Joyful moment and you could just see everyone's love in the red fog. We sing the end and Bono is just drop dead amazed, saying "wow" as he lets the cheering and love seep into him, walking backwards slowly along the ellipse, and then says "Oh my God", which I don't remember ever hearing him say before after a song. It was that good.

One
Another great intro into One, I'm telling ya he was on last night. We all work together as one, and how the Data fund people were in the Gulf Coast helping the hurricane victims. Very lovely talk. Adam was listening intently to Bono's entire talk, which was lovely to see. Adam smiled proudly when Bono mentioned all their names and said something on their behalf. Bono works himself right up at the end of this song, singing "hear us scratching" and he put his hand up in the air and dragged down, as if he was scratching at the door. He leaned in to sing the final verse but was SO worked up that he just scrunched his face up very tightly and pulled away, looked at Edge (who probably thought sthing was wrong cuz he missed the cue) and then Edge and Bono sang the last bit. Quite emotional. Also when Edge was playing the guitar and no lyrics to sing, Bono was watching Edge and really listening to him play. I know some people get tired of it, but God this song is so brilliant, an absolute classic, perfect song. :heart:

OK the rest later. :)

Sorry if this is rushed-

The First Time
Beauuuuutiful!! What a sweet, sweet song! I just thought that the band must be kicking themselves for not playing this more often over the years. It's so simple to play and it has such a beautiful melody! Bono did the "love, love" with the audience, having us sing opposite him. He seemed very happy when we all joined in as he wanted. Such a pleasure to hear this.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Still love this song, love that they are playing it, consider it a HUGE treat every time I hear it!! Is it just me or do people clap more at the "unexpected" songs? Encouragement for them to keep on surprising us, maybe?!! Edge and Bono sang this at the tip, and I got a long video of it, mainly because Bono's shirt was open dangerously low, with that rosary swinging. Very sexy and a very fun rendition. Several times Edge gave serious stares to the stage at Adam & Larry when they were joining in, probably to make sure they all stayed on track. It went very well, though. Bono gave a cute smile and held his arms out at the end.

With or Without You
This show was fun b/c I didn't really know what was coming in what order. This song got us excited, and Bono was at the tip looking around, hands shading his eyes, scanning the crowd intently, saying "where's my girl?" He spends a LONG time looking, as Edge continues with the intro to WOWY. Finally he pulls up a girl who my friend recognized from Boston 3 Elevation, who she thought he was going to pull up back then. She was great and sweet.. grabbed his butt several times. He kept putting his hand on her back/shoulder as if to keep her still against him (like when she might have pulled away to look at him). I know he does that when girls get nervous to calm them. It was very very sweet and nice. At the end of their dance she kind of curtsied (sp) to him and he knelt down and kissed her hands and then he helped her back to her spot, not before asking her name (I'm assuming) and then she was gone. Then Bono spent a few more minutes at the tip, I think looking for that other girl! And he found her, I think, and knelt down. I was behind him so I couldn't see what was happening. Then he stood up and backed away (I have a video of all this) and walked bakcwards down the ellipse, staring at the (other) girl, with his hands out and a look on his face that said "oh well". So I got the distinct impression that the girl he originally wanted to pull up he missed. My friend was in the back of the arena and said if he was looking for the girl he had an interaction w/ earlier, he was about 15 people away from her, and totally cannot remember where he is on stage when he sees someone. ANyway the girl who got up there did great and had a wonderful moment, not to take anything away from her. But I think he had originally looked for someone else.

All Because of You
Nothign to note, just a screaming fest in the ellipse.

Yahweh
Bono pulls on the Red Sox jersey and does this bit about Edge wanting to let Tom Brady know he's not, in fact, a Colts fan, but he is a Pats fan, and if Tom doesn't believe him, he can meet Edge outside behind the parking lot, but Bono wouldn't recommend fighting w/ someone who uses hand-eye coordination for a living (which is funny cuz that's what Tom does too haha). Very cute and Edge was playing it up, taking off his guitar as if to hit someone with it. I got a video of this too.

Yahweh lights were amazzzing, I loveee the yellow and the designs on the screen. I know I'm forgetting a few things. At the end Bono mentions that tomorrow night they're filming parts of the show tomorrow for an awards thign in Europe.

magnficient, beautiful, very sweet. Larry puts on the Sox jersey Bono had hung on the mic stand before left. LOVELY end.

thanks for the extended review. oliveu2 is right on with the extended songs in the beginning. the 1st 3 songs all had an extra bit. Supposedly the setlist called for Crumbs but was scratched for time....
and I agree he didnt pull up the girl he was originally looking for, but played it off well.
The taping happened last night, during ABOY. As they were leaving after WOWY, Bono said 'when we come back out we're going to put you on TV.......' for a UK awards show taping.

Last edited:
oliveu2cm said:
:) Olive

ISHFWILF
This song was a huge highlight of the night for me. First, it was unexpected in the setlist at this point. Second, it was the unifying moment in the show between band and audience. Bono gave a speech before hand which I cannot remember right now (ooh but he said some stuff like, thanking us for all our money and years and stuff like that) and then he sang the first stanza of the song and then the audience started singing, and I think he noticed how powerfully we were singing, and he pulled back, and the crowd continued to sing, every line, every word, of that second stanza. It. Was. Beautiful. It was a sharing, loving, communal moment, with band listening and receiving their words back to them. Bono was visibly moved, and I think everyone's skin was electric after these moments. Bono joined back in and we all sang the rest of the song together. Towards the end Bono actually said "this is our tribe. And I don't just mean the Irish." and he said "Clap with our tribe" and we were all clapping together. (Maybe this part came during Electric Co?) He said "sometimes you forget but it always comes back even better", and other things about MA, meaning that sometimes you forget how amazing the show is, but then it comes rushing back even better. :heart: Also during this song he asked for the lights to go up!! The full house lights didn't come up but they came half up.

That the one song that they didn't sing in Chicago Sept 21 that I wanted them to. It is on e of my favorites!:banghead: :rant:

Also that sonds like how it was for us with Elevation. Only we started the song and sang almost all of it!

Last edited:
Wow Olive did you take notes? You remembered all the details.

The guys never let up for a second, the energy was amazing. Maybe it's because they're "home" in Boston. Streets was truly amazing wasn't it?

I remember the girl from WOWY from Elevation too (she looks just like a friend). I agree, I don't think she was who Bono was originally looking for though. I couldn't see her face but the girl was pretty much glued to Bono during the whole song, she seemed kind of stunned. He did ask her name after the dance but I couldn't hear it.

I love The First Time, and MD and Miss Sarajevo were just stunning. Edge's solo during Electric Co was absolutely scorching. Larry actually broke his drumstick right at the beginning of LAPOE and it was good to see him grinning about it.

I like all the comments about Massachusetts too, I'm so glad they remember us fondly. To remember the Paradise after all these years is pretty good, they must really appreciate our support from waaaay back ;-)

--Lynn

Oh, and Bono made a couple of references during the early part of the show that I thought were interesting. Something to the effect of what great friends the 4 of them are, and how they intend to stay together, keep on going, etc. Does anyone remember the specifics? I got the impression he wants to squash any rumours of breaking up or going solo or giving up the band for politics.

--Lynn

Thanks for the review. I like to get boot copies of the shows I go to. It's so difficult to hear everything Bono says, or the interaction between the 4 of them on stage, but on the audio you can listen over and over and hear things you missed. :up:

You're welcome. :)

Lynn, I don't take notes but when my friend is with me at the show we manage to notice a lot and retain a lot that we remember together later on.

oliveu2cm said:
You're welcome. :)

Lynn, I don't take notes but when my friend is with me at the show we manage to notice a lot and retain a lot that we remember together later on.

I'm thoroughly impressed. I see them so rarely that I guess I get caught up in the moment a bit too much.

oliveu2cm said:
Pride
Changed the lyric: "One man bethrothed, betrayed with a kiss" very distinctly and purposefully. First time I'd heard that clever lyric addition. Another wonderful intro this time into Streets. Also during this song he got something caught in his throat, like he swallowed wrong, and had to pull away from the mic, and was indicating for the audience to sing, he was trying to laugh/smile at the edge but he kept having to cough. It went on for long enough for me to grow concerned that his vocal chord had snapped (lol at me, not paniced or anything) but then he belted out the next note before I knew it and was back on track.

odd, in the other fleet center show.. someone mentioned that during the very same song "Pride", he sneezed and coughed the same way with the same reaction.

i wonder if this was planned?

Back
Top Bottom