Hawaii, April 8th - Aloha Stadium! - Part XV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad to read about the postponement.
But that doesn't even come close to how I feel about the illness of an immediate family member of one of the band.

I wanna say much more.
But I'm having problems formulating it properly at the moment.
My thoughts seem to go quicker then my brain can process.
My restless mind keeps switching back and forth between my native language and English.
What's coming out is totally mixed up.
And can't be used.
So I'm left rather speechless.

:sigh:

Just some keywords:

Wake up call
Shake up.
Hard reality.
Setting priorities straight.
What's really important in life?
Luxury.
And blessed.
So easy to take things for granted.
Don't realize how good you have it until something changes.
Human.
Human as well.
Human too.

Tour definitely insignificant.
Postponement only just announced and already there's talk about when it will be rescheduled (and possible new dates)
No! :no:
Wait.
Patience.
Yes.

And healing vibes.
Positive thoughts.
Strength.
Love.
Hope.

:hug: & :heart:

Last edited:
So who is still going to Hawaii?

I am, unless this postponement thing pans out in the next 2-3 weeks. Then I'd try to reschedule.

I probably couldn't either, but I guess I am just taking the view that if they for some reason cannot announce new dates in the next 2-3 weeks, the chances of them rescheduling vs. cancelling are pretty high, so I might as well go.

:(

I found the fall football schedule for University of Hawaii. If they do reschedule the concert for the fall, Aloha Stadium would be available a few weekends in September and October.

http://uhathletics.hawaii.edu/schedule.html?p=3

2006 Univ of Hawaii Football schedule

09/02/06 at Alabama
09/16/06 UNLV
09/23/06 at Boise State
09/30/06 EASTERN ILLINOIS
10/07/06 NEVADA
10/14/06 at Fresno State
10/21/06 at New Mexico State
10/28/06 IDAHO
11/04/06 at Utah State
11/11/06 LOUISIANA TECH
11/18/06 SAN JOSE STATE
11/25/06 PURDUE
12/02/06 OREGON STATE

cleazer said:
Now, as for the subject of this thread, I'm wondering how a rescheduled Hawaii date might work. :hmm:

- there's a lot more money in Australia, so U2 have more financial reasons and more fans to take care of there, so they have a lot more incentive to reschedule that part of the tour, versus rescheduling just a single show in Hawaii.

- Let's face it, if the original date was a "slow seller", and many people won't be able to make the rescheduled show, you have to wonder how well-attended the new date will be. Is it possible that U2 go from an expected 2 shows in Hawaii down to 1 and then down to 0? (Hopefully not)

- I see people in other threads suggesting the tour will happen around the end of the year, after Aussie football or rugby (or whatever) season is over. Well, that's a problem in Hawaii, because September through December is when UH is playing football at Aloha Stadium. That means a whole lot of weekends are going to be taken up, and it also means that the stadium will be in football configuration, not the baseball setup.

- If U2 tries to schedule the show *before* football season, that could mean the show will take place before the Aussie leg of the tour, and then the Hawaii show won't be the final show of the tour that so many people had spent money on and planned to celebrate.

- On the other hand, if they jumble up the schedule like that (to make this show happen before football season), it's possible that the Hawaii show would be the first show on Vertigo Leg 5, and it could be U2's first show about half a year. If it's the debut of Leg 5, and their first show "back", that's fairly significant, and potentially highly emotional. Not only that, but it's also possible that U2 could add in a new song or two to the setlist. :D

Well, that's about enough idle speculation from me.

I had been thinking about that too...not that it would be canceled all together (all articles indicate that it won't) but that it might not be the "last" show of the tour now. Also the football schedule somebody just posted indicates that the middle two weeks of October might be the best time for Aloha Stadium, plus the Aussie stadiums don't become available til end of Sept.

Reports are going back and forth whether the reschedule will be Sept./Oct. or Oct./Nov.. Although I was looking forward to make a "last" show on a tour finally, at this point it wouldn't matter to me, seeing as it will have been like 10 months since my last U2 show in Boston by that time - definitely enough time to warrant another shot of U2 plus it's also my only stadium show. :)

I am cancelling out of April though...can't afford to go twice, plus my boss will be relieved as it was turning out to be not the most opportune time to be away, as all three of his senior staff would be away! I will reschedule when they announce the new dates, it should work out for me. I'll take a cheap week off sometime/somewhere May-July so I don't burn out. :wink:

Star 101.9 is talking about the postponement...

Nothing new though.

ETA:

And reading now about Bono's comment after Zoo Station during Buenos Aires...

:(

:sad:

I am thinking cancellation and I would not blame them...

:sad:

Last edited:
raft said:
On the spanish U2 with a shout forum, user nacho_cba has found that during last show's (BsAs march 2nd) Zoo Station, Bono said, as the song was finishing:
"Daddy coming home now... Hang on there, Siam... Hang on there little diva"

Nurse Chrissi said:

I just listened to that and it is really clear what he is saying

"Daddy's coming home now - hang on there Sian - hang on there baby diva"

tears your heart in two listening to that now - again screw the tour and take care - the fans will be there when u2 is ready

I am out...I was only going for the show, 4.5 days total. I don't want to use up the miles for such a short trip now...

Is it possible the band could reschedual the shows for June, provided everything goes ok on the home front? What is it like outdoors in June down in New Zealand, Australia, as well as Japan? I think the stadium in Japan might be a dome but I'm not sure.

STING2 said:
Is it possible the band could reschedual the shows for June, provided everything goes ok on the home front? What is it like outdoors in June down in New Zealand, Australia, as well as Japan? I think the stadium in Japan might be a dome but I'm not sure.

Better/warmer weather in Japan in June, cooler in Australia than now, but probably as warm/warmer as Mexico was in Feb. Think the issue though is the availability of the Aus/NZ stadiums with their sporting seasons in full swing...

STING2 said:

I think it's winter

STING2 said:

The weather would be fine here. It's winter, but a Sydney winter isn't too bad. What we call REALLY F*CKING cold here is about 40 to 50 degrees, and that would come later than June anyway, and most of the coldest patch of winter will land in the mid 50's to 60's.

The problem with that time of the year here is that it's the football season, so for Australia and NZ the stadiums are all booked full for pro-football games. The season ends in early September, and late September/early October are the rumoured rescheduled dates. An earlier option would be to hold the concerts outside of stadiums, but in big public spaces, like Centennial Park in Sydney. The problem with this though would be ticketing. Essentially one big GA area, how do you define which original ticket levels get what 'benefits'? The people who bought GA did so because they wanted to be able to jump around close to the stage, but the people who bought primo A-Reserve tickets did so with seating close to the stage in mind, but were still behind thousands of GA fans - gets confusing and potentially too difficult. If this had happened earlier and tickets hadn't been sold, this option might well be possible.

i'm having a hard time imagining that they would reschedule for anytime soon.

thoughts and prayers to the band...what a horrible, horrible thing to be facing.

i'm sorry I won't see you all in Hawaii, but I'm sure we'll meet up at other shows down the road.

Miroslava said:

I am, unless this postponement thing pans out in the next 2-3 weeks. Then I'd try to reschedule.

I live here, so I'm good for the time being :)

ruffian said:
i'm having a hard time imagining that they would reschedule for anytime soon.

thoughts and prayers to the band...what a horrible, horrible thing to be facing.

i'm sorry I won't see you all in Hawaii, but I'm sure we'll meet up at other shows down the road.

:sad: :hug:

Miroslava said:

We're going to try to wait it out to see if there is a postponement. Our hotel can be cancelled no problem, but our airfare is a $100per ticket change fee plus any fare difference. :ohmy: So we are up in the air kinda. Just can't afford 2 trips to Hawaii.

Miroslava said:

I'm definitely going. Had this trip on the brain for a while, and am way ready for a break. I can understand those who change their plans, but to me the whole unfortunate circumstances behind the show postponement/cancellation has given me another perspective. Who knows if I'll be financially able/healthy to go in 6 months or whenever the show is? Gotta live for today (just my .02)

May or may not go depending on my friend's ability to change ticket IF there are new dates in the fall. I should know by next week for sure.

Last edited:
Miringeltje said:
Sad to read about the postponement.
But that doesn't even come close to how I feel about the illness of an immediate family member of one of the band.

I wanna say much more.
But I'm having problems formulating it properly at the moment.
My thoughts seem to go quicker then my brain can process.
My restless mind keeps switching back and forth between my native language and English.
What's coming out is totally mixed up.
And can't be used.
So I'm left rather speechless.

:sigh:

Just some keywords:

Wake up call
Shake up.
Hard reality.
Setting priorities straight.
What's really important in life?
Luxury.
And blessed.
So easy to take things for granted.
Don't realize how good you have it until something changes.
Human.
Human as well.
Human too.

Tour definitely insignificant.
Postponement only just announced and already there's talk about when it will be rescheduled (and possible new dates)
No! :no:
Wait.
Patience.
Yes.

And healing vibes.
Positive thoughts.
Strength.
Love.
Hope.

:hug: & :heart:

Very well said. :heart:

Status