Introspect: Beneath the Roots of The Joshua Tree*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11632jt_thumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Ali Ficklin

Released in March of 1987, “The Joshua Tree” propelled U2 to stratospheric fame with the anthems "Where the Streets Have No Name," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," and "With or Without You." Still fan favorites today, each song carries with it a message so strong that all of us have been able to relate to them in one way or another. "I want to run, I want to hide, I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside, I want to reach out and touch the flame, where the streets have no name." After hearing those lyrics, you want to keep singing the rest of the song, don't you? I know I do, but more importantly what do these pleasing lyrics speak of the album’s enigmatic title? How could one of the most powerful, passionate albums ever made be named after a lone growing tree? Now is as good a time as any to dive into the heart of the question and go beneath the roots of the album that rocked us all—“The Joshua Tree.”

Looking at an actual Joshua tree, it's easy to find inspiration in its growth considering the nature of its surroundings. The tree is the essence of spirit. And on “The Joshua Tree” album, each and every song is nothing short of a spiritual renaissance. Not necessarily spiritual in a religion sense, but spirit as in having the strength and belief in your purpose that you take on a life force of your own. And if that’s not worthy of naming an album after, I don’t know what is. In the words of Bono himself, “The goal is soul.” And whilst the Joshua Tree continues to get water from it’s roots beneath the surface of the sand, it grows on and prospers into the embodiment of what it means to have soul. The tree is strength and hope in a bleak situation. And where there is hope, the sun will shine. I’d like to think that U2 was inspired by it’s growth and with that respect the band prospered into what they are today, they themselves a life force. All thanks to pure talent, devotion, countless fans, and an ever so humble Joshua Tree.

Perhaps you're sitting in an office cubicle somewhere this very second simply hating your job, when all of a sudden "Where the Streets Have No Name" pumps through your headphones. Inspired by the message, you stand up and begin making a dash for the door in your ever so uncomfortable work-appropriate shoes. People stare at you as if you've lost your mind completely, but with a sudden urge of power you push them out of the way, because you are already out of there, baby, never looking back. Okay, so maybe this isn't entirely what the song is about, but by now most of us have come to terms with the worldliness of it, and are able to relate it to our own feelings of wanting to flee and get away from everything entirely. You’ve just made “like a tree” and left.

In a way "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" ties in with the theme of "Where the Streets Have No Name," except to me it has to do more with relationships and dreams. As I listened to both songs, two words came to mind: power ballads. The music behind the words is magical and instantly recognizable to anyone's ears. The guitars strum; Larry Mullen Jr. begins to pound the drums, and poof! Bono's voice hits the music like it was sent straight from heaven. These songs promote strength, like an old oak tree and empower you to do more with your life, to not only accommodate humanity, but to accommodate your deepest dreams as well and to follow them as far as they'll take you.

A love song hums through my speakers; Clayton’s sweet and repetitive bass line soothes the ears while Bono's voice touches the heart with the pain and truth within his words. "With or Without You," a song that presents the pain behind the passion of a love sick heart. When you're in love with someone and they say or do something that hurts you, even if it's just a small thing, it always hurts a million times worse than it would, coming from anyone other than them. The person drives you crazy at times, you can't live with them but you never want to live without them. This song encompasses all the things in a relationship that are sometimes hard to put into words but are there nonetheless. Waiting, longing, uncertainty and pain dwelling deep in the heart, only to be surpassed by the strongest emotion of all, love.

"Bullet the Blue Sky" starts out violent with Larry Mullen Jr.'s opening drum solo, followed by the screeching guitars of The Edge. The vocals are almost harsh to the point where it sounds like Bono is singing with his jaw clinched tightly shut in anger. Near the middle and end of the song Bono speaks the lyrics like it's an angry melancholy poem. You feel the anger in his voice and want to know what it's all about. This song is one of a kind, it's also not one that you would want to necessarily put on repeat and listen to over and over again. But, that's not say it's not a good song. It's a brilliant piece of art designed to capture your attention and like most great masterpieces it's meaning lingers with you long after you've proceeded on.

The following song on "The Joshua Tree" is "Running to Stand Still." A song about heroin addiction. Mind you, I only just found out that information a few days ago, and believe me that's not what I thought the song was originally about. When I heard the song I thought it was about a person in a relationship that they wanted out of. But as I look at it now, that relationship could very well be with drugs rather than with a person. It's a beautiful song that is almost lullaby esque with Bono's soft tones and quiet guitars and keyboard playing in the background. The song is peaceful. And the irony of it all is that quite a few people resort to drugs in order to find peace.

On a totally different note is "Red Hill Mining Town." A song not about drugs, but the Springhill Mining Disaster. The song is bold and filled with passion with it's chorus," And you leave us hanging on in Red Hill town, as the lights go down I'm hanging on, Your all that’s left to hold on to." You can't not love this song. It reaches toward you and tugs at you with the powerful desperation in each and every verse. This was one of the first U2 songs I ever heard, and a hell of a good one at that. There are so many different styles of songs on "The Joshua Tree," that even the most critical music reviewer could find at least one song on the album to please his or her's ears.

As we move on with this article it is my duty to remind you to please keep all hands, feet, and luggage inside your computer area as we arrive "In God's Country," thank you for your cooperation. Could "In God's Country" be the central theme of the entire album? After all, there are several phrases in it having to do with the desert. The song to me however isn't just about being in the sweltering desert sun, I think its main concept is America. It could very well even be about immigrants making the journey to New York, as we hear with these lyrics, "Everyday the dreamers die, To see what's on the other side, She is Liberty, And she comes to rescue me, Hope faith her vanity, the greatest gift is gold." Or if you need more proof, "Naked flame, She stands with a naked flame." Without a doubt Bono is speaking of The Statue of Liberty. I conclude this song not in fact to be about the desert, but about dreamers following their hearts to some place much bigger, New York City.

Everyone has different perceptions of what "Trip Through Your Wires" is about. To most, it is about a woman who recharges the soul of the man in the lyrics, and brings him back to life from something that stopped him from living. I too agree with this concept and for one reason or another, I always thought it was about Bono's wife Ali helping him begin to live again after his mother’s sudden passing. It could be about any number of different things, but I can confidently say it's not about mining that’s for sure!

11632jtcover.jpg

The saddest song on the album and the one with probably the most meaning is "One Tree Hill." An elegy written by Bono for the band's dear friend Greg Carroll, who died tragically during the recording of the album, when he was in an accident while riding Bono's Harley Davidson. The sadness of his death enveloped everyone working on the album, and left Bono with tremendous heartbreak and guilt. "One Tree Hill" is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful man who always stood with the band. The music of the song is hopeful, and a touching remembrance of a man who believed in Bono, Mullen, Adam Clayton, and The Edge every step of the way.

Track 10 is "Exit" the song begins with harmony, and then quickly takes a turn towards madness with thrashing guitars and drumming accompanied by wickedness in Bono's voice. The song has an insanity to it, that could be there to tell the tale of what the song is actually about, a violent crime of sorts. You can feel the emotion behind the song; it gets your heart beating and blood filled with adrenaline. It could easily be the most hardcore song on the entire record. The musicianship of Edge, Clayton and Mullen on this song is impeccable; it showcases each of their abilities and allows the true rock band in them to shine.

The last song on the album is "Mothers of the Disappeared." The Mothers of the Disappeared are an organization of people seeking information to find out what happened to hundreds of students who opposed the military in Argentina, and went missing after they were arrested for sounding their opinions on the matter. The song's emphasis is on the children, and their mothers' pain. For those of us not familiar with the situation, the song brings to life the mystery of it all. As the song plays you can easily invision the events unfolding. The melodic sound is like a saddening trance. And the song itself wants you to know about the situation and it beckons you to help find out just what happened to the young people of that country on that particular day.

Renowned U2 photographer Anton Corbijn did the photography for “The Joshua Tree” album. All the photographs on the outside and inside covers are in black and white. On the record's front cover the image was taken with a special blur technique, and features all the members dressed warmly in long sleeved attire whilst The Edge sports a long haired look with a hat in front of the desert mountains. The second image we see is on the inside cover. On the right, we see the lone striking Joshua Tree in the heart of the California desert. Adam in his shades and Larry both stand poised in the background basking in the chilled desert air. To the front of them stands the coatless Edge looking cold but ever so cool with his hands shoved into his jean pockets. And just to the right of that, appears to be a side view of the body of Bono whose head is cut off in the picture. Inside the middle of the album cover shows a photograph of all four-band members gazing into the camera's lens while the Joshua Tree sits stoically in the middle behind them. Bono is least prepared for the frigid weather, wearing only a white tank top. Mullen appears to be deep in thought in denim. The lovely Adam Clayton is bare-chested with a sportscoat. And, Edge still looks cold in a long sleeved shirt with opened buttons down the neck, hands still in pockets, with the beautiful scene of the desert and mountains spot on behind them. The last photograph on the album jacket is on the back cover. There in all its glory sits the mighty Joshua Tree.

Last edited:
Thank you Ali! Well written reflection on JT. Yesterday I was thinking about the idea of JT and R&H together. What do you think of it?

The Joshua Tree with its gnarled and twisted and outstretched branches as a symbol of a crucifixion.

An album that addresses social justice and spirituality. With all of the songs speaking to either the dark side of America or to God or both at the same time.

Imagine the film Apocalypse Now but set in America. A cross country trip through it and a trip through Central America.

A Journey Through A Heart Of Darkness

Side A: I Can’t Live With Or Without Amerika

1. Streets
2. Still Haven’t Found
3. WOWY
4. Heartland
5. Hawkmoon

Side B: Inside Its Amerika

6. Desire
7. God’s Country
8. Trip
9. Running
10. Red Hill

Side C: Outside Its Amerika

11. Silver & Gold
12. Bullet
13. Exit
14. One Tree
15. Mothers

Thanks U2Soar:) That's a cool concept. I hadn't thought of what it'd be like if the two albums were together like that. But it's a very interesting idea and full of depth and meaning with the songs grouped the way you have them listed there. Very cool and thanks for the comment.

Ali:heart:

Thanx, I love how you broke down each song and explained the lyrics. I believe we all see it in different ways. But it helped me to understand the songs that I didn't quite understand. Just to make clear, weren't the photographs taken in the California desert?

Hey Mysticchild thanks! That's a good question, I've heard conflicting statements about the location. Some say CA and others NV. Something i read stuck out in my head about it being in NV but it's very possible though that it was done in California. lol Sorry don't think I answered your question very well. But I'll try and find some information about it.

Last edited:
AngelofHarlem01 said:

Yes! You're right it was in California. I'll see if i can get that clarified in the article. Thanks for pointing that out:wave:

The article does point that out in the last paragraph:

"On the right, we see the lone striking Joshua Tree in the heart of the California desert."

soild review.......... reminds me of how impressed I was when I first heard JT.........

And why I still call it my most favorite complete album, ever

Back
Top Bottom