Achtung Carrie! Issue #3 ? U2 Is My Highway *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/achtungcarrie/achtungcarriethumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Carrie Alison, Chief Editor

achtungcarrie.jpg

For Memorial Day weekend, I took my boyfriend on a mini-break to Orlando for his birthday, and to reflect on the first five months of 2003 and what would transpire in the months to come. As we sat on the balcony of our hotel room, we sipped Sangria and gazed out across the lagoon and into the most hard to reach places of our minds that only a vacation can uncover.

I had a realization as we drove on I-4 toward Orlando on Saturday afternoon - that if U2 were anything to me, they were a highway. An Interstate. A Turnpike. They were the lines in the road I followed to show me which lines to cross and avoid. They were the signs of distance to show me how near, and how far I was to a goal and destination. They were the headlights to light my way across new territory and dark roads. They were hazard lights when the torrential rains of life beat down on me ? to blink when I needed to show the other drivers to just pass me by. U2 were the sturdy road underneath my feet and the speed limit I emblazoned across the roads I followed. They were the median dividing the to and fro of my years and experiences.

I then imagined what my life would be like without U2 as my highway.

I envisioned a highway without barriers and markers. I saw myself getting thrown from windshield to windshield and launched into oncoming traffic without a suit of armour to protect me from injury. I would ricochet from one obstacle to another without any real guidance to show me where to go, and how to surmount the obstacles that lay before me. I became confused, scared, and tearful. The highways of my life, once so full of magic and melody had suddenly become fast-paced and frightening. I felt paralyzed and instinctually looked around me for something familiar, something to show me where to go and how to get there. I couldn?t find a single name of a city or town that I recognized. I pulled out my road map and realized I was lost and had no destination.

Wine can do scary things.

I placed the glass of Sangria down on the balcony ledge, and slowly rose to my feet. I hurriedly ransacked my suitcase to find my photo album. I was certain my picture of Bono and Edge on stage in mid ?bullfight? was still there. I needed to see it. I needed to reassure myself that my highway, though possibly nothing more than a big training wheel ? was still there and still paved. Sure enough, on the very last page, there was Edge and Bono, melody surrounding them, the crowd's hands outstretched in reverence. I lay back on the bed and stared at the ceiling once again convinced my highway was paved with gold and good tunes, and that my deco license plate reading I Love U2 was no illusion, and no mistake.

Achtung Carrie?s mailbox is getting mighty lonely for letters from her loverlies. Won?t you visit? carrie@interference.com!

Last edited:
if you look behind or in front of you on this highway and notice a black suv with the Dublin County sticker on it... that's me... riding down the same highway, possibly taking a different direction

now you've made me wonder where are my photos...

on a trip into 'the city' (chicago that is) this weekend with the radio on and windows down... i look up to my left and larger than life; a billboard of Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam on it ... some say coincidence, some say a sign

i have to find my pictures...i wanna see if i really did meet them and it wasn't all just a passing billboard on that highway

thank you carrie for all that you do...seen...spoken...imagined, truly a beautiful mind

Thanks Carrie, bonosgirl's right, that was beautiful. It's hard to imagine life without U2. If it wasn't for them I never would have picked up a guitar, so never would have been in the band I am in now. I never would have met some of the friends I met through being in The Hype, or met my now-boyfriend who was playing at the same club as us one night! If not for my writing U2 (and Anne Rice) fanfic I wouldn't have realised I liked creative writing, and so would be doing boring A-levels right now such as Maths or Physics. (Yuck!) There's so many times I've been down and a U2 song has picked me up, (usually One... *rolls eyes* what is it about that sing that gets me?)
Sheesh... life wouldn't be worth living if not for the boys, would it?

Ok Im slow :uhoh: I only just now read your article. I'm impressed carrie. You be writin' some darn good words thar :yes:

PS... I found a recipe for some Sangria in case anyone wants to try it out with me :shifty: LOL

Back
Top Bottom