NLOTH Week 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 sold more albums in 1 week with this record then 90 percent of bands sell in their entire lifetime. Thats a flop I would love to have.

Incidentally, U2 played Comic Relief (annual charity broadcast seen by around 10m people on TV) tonight. They performed GOYB, missing a nice opportunity to start promoting Magnificent.

The song has gone back up into the top 50 on UK itunes but most other acts who played did better. They should of played a new single, Boots is more or less dead

I don't think there is anyway to "defend" the second-week performance - it is poor. This album is massively front-loaded as with a typical summer movie blockbuster.

Look at the Kings of Leon - their performance is phenomenal in the UK. They have hit singles, but it amazes me that they are sustaining sales based on that.

UK charts are among the most fickle and unpredictable in the world. There is absolutely no bar to judge in relation to that place- there may be no other place on Earth where radio play dictates sales more (for better or worse, considering their chart system). And that says it all, really.

It is shocking, to me, that sales have dropped this much for ALL records. Think about this- it is taking more than 26 weeks for albums to go PLATINUM in the U.S., and a 52-week double platinum record was considered a pretty standard benchmark from 1975-2005. Since then, however, gold is a new standard and platinum is exceptional. The whole thing is backwards, and broken. That said, I think it will take a good 3-5 years to judge the total "fiscal success" of this album. The industry is that messed up at the minute. I've argued before- whereas contracts used to be obligated on records produced and perked by chart position and touring, I suspect it will now be dictated largely by singles sales, tour numbers, and length of contract.

Not good for those of us who love albums.....

NLOTH had initial shipments of 3 million apparently and has gone platinum or multi-platinum in 20 different countries, great news

Please somebody tell me how AC/DC sold 784.000 copies of their latest album "Black Ice" back in October 2008 ...look I have a few AC/DC's older albums and Ihave seen them in concert but I'm calling shenanigans on the whole "exclusive to Walmart" it wasn't sold anywhere else or online except again for Walmart...ok some mobile AC/DCs
stores were set up in NYC AND LA where there are no Walmart stores but their last album in 2000 "Stiff Upper Lip" sold just 14,000 copies in it's intial week

call me a conspiracy theorist but I think Walmart fudged those #'s I also find it interesting that at a Walmart store near me on Thursday 3/5/09 2 days after the release of NLOTH when their website said they were selling the new CD for $9.99
the store was actually selling the CD in stores for $13.99

Please somebody tell me how AC/DC sold 784.000 copies of their latest album "Black Ice" back in October 2008 ...look I have a few AC/DC's older albums and Ihave seen them in concert but I'm calling shenanigans on the whole "exclusive to Walmart" it wasn't sold anywhere else or online except again for Walmart...ok some mobile AC/DCs
stores were set up in NYC AND LA where there are no Walmart stores but their last album in 2000 "Stiff Upper Lip" sold just 14,000 copies in it's intial week

call me a conspiracy theorist but I think Walmart fudged those #'s I also find it interesting that at a Walmart store near me on Thursday 3/5/09 2 days after the release of NLOTH when their website said they were selling the new CD for $9.99
the store was actually selling the CD in stores for $13.99

Another factor that shows how depressed the music industry is, is when a single department store has a better success rate at selling an album that is only released in that store than one that is released everywhere it can be. With that exclusive deal though comes HUGE extra in store promotion for the album. Its on display everywhere in a store that nearly all Americans shop at for virtually everything they need and want. AC/DC.com also sold the album through the website and Sams Club, owned by Walmart, was selling the album in bulk quantities.

Remember also that it was the 4th quarter Christmas season when the album was released.

UK charts are among the most fickle and unpredictable in the world. There is absolutely no bar to judge in relation to that place- there may be no other place on Earth where radio play dictates sales more (for better or worse, considering their chart system). And that says it all, really.

It is shocking, to me, that sales have dropped this much for ALL records. Think about this- it is taking more than 26 weeks for albums to go PLATINUM in the U.S., and a 52-week double platinum record was considered a pretty standard benchmark from 1975-2005. Since then, however, gold is a new standard and platinum is exceptional. The whole thing is backwards, and broken. That said, I think it will take a good 3-5 years to judge the total "fiscal success" of this album. The industry is that messed up at the minute. I've argued before- whereas contracts used to be obligated on records produced and perked by chart position and touring, I suspect it will now be dictated largely by singles sales, tour numbers, and length of contract.

Not good for those of us who love albums.....

The problem is that with singles, they don't bring in nearly as much revenue as album sales. How much can you really make on a something that is often less than a dollar. It also is a poor gauge of serious fan interest and popularity as many people might like a particular song, but not care for anything else from the artist. Essentially, the particular song is more popular than the artist. Not a good situation when your trying to build the career of an artist.

Another factor that shows how depressed the music industry is, is when a single department store has a better success rate at selling an album that is only released in that store than one that is released everywhere it can be. With that exclusive deal though comes HUGE extra in store promotion for the album. Its on display everywhere in a store that nearly all Americans shop at for virtually everything they need and want. AC/DC.com also sold the album through the website and Sams Club, owned by Walmart, was selling the album in bulk quantities.

Remember also that it was the 4th quarter Christmas season when the album was released.

Maybe AC/DC had a stronger lead single (guessing here...i dont know charts stats on this)? Does anyone know if the AC/DC album leaked beforehand? Maybe that helped.

:up: COSTCO > SAM'S CLUB :angry:

nloth still n.1 in australia.18 singles up to 45 from 48.:up: nloth still n.2 in brasil also.

i dont see how ACDC managed that amount of sales, i cant see them having had a hit single at all tbh. theyre even bigger has beens than the rolling stones, without being unfair to them.

U2 remain #1 in the UK beating off 2 new entries, Annie Lennox coming in at #2, with Kelly clarkson coming in at #3.

Bloody great news :)

2nd week at #1

Ireland
Holland
UK
Poland
Australia

:up:
...so far ;)

Some people (here and other places) are going to look at the sales drops and point to that as a "disappointment" but thats not accurate. We are in different sales times. You cannot compare U2 2009 to U2 2004 or any artist in the past for that matter. Compare U2 to other artists in 2009 and you will see that the UK #1 is impressive. Regardless of their sales, they sold the MOST albums in the UK last week. Australia is impressive as well but the UK #1 is really nice. In the USA, they will drop to #2 but the real test is how they play out over time (stay in top 10...20...30...ect...). Its not about how much they sell compared to Bomb and ATYCLB but rather how much they sell compared to the rest of 2009. I think this album will have legs...I really do.

Some people (here and other places) are going to look at the sales drops and point to that as a "disappointment" but thats not accurate. We are in different sales times. You cannot compare U2 2009 to U2 2004 or any artist in the past for that matter. Compare U2 to other artists in 2009 and you will see that the UK #1 is impressive. Regardless of their sales, they sold the MOST albums in the UK last week. Australia is impressive as well but the UK #1 is really nice. In the USA, they will drop to #2 but the real test is how they play out over time (stay in top 10...20...30...ect...). Its not about how much they sell compared to Bomb and ATYCLB but rather how much they sell compared to the rest of 2009. I think this album will have legs...I really do.

Exactly... Kid Rock's Rock N Roll Jesus debuted with less than 200,000 copies but it's one of the best sellers of the last year because of strong legs. Let's hope the same for NLOTH.

What albums are released next week ?

From Wikepedia that's we got for March

March 16

• My Soul Sings by Delirious?
  • Resurrection Macabre by Pestilence
March 17

• Beware by Bonnie "Prince" Billy
  • Cult of Static by Static-X
  • Don't Feed Da Animals by Gorilla Zoe
  • Fist of God by MSTRKRFT
  • BoA by BoA
March 23

• Crooked Timber by Therapy?
  • In the Cold Wind We Smile by The Xcerts
  • Junior by Röyksopp
  • Take My Breath Away by Gui Boratto
  • Yes by Pet Shop Boys
March 24

• 13 Japanese Birds Vol. 3 by Merzbow
  • 3 Balloons by Stephen Lynch
  • Approaching Normal by Blue October
  • Begone Dull Care by Junior Boys
  • Blitz by KMFDM
  • Born Like This by MF DOOM
  • Boss of all Bosses by Slim Thug
  • Bromst by Dan Deacon
  • Crack the Skye by Mastodon
  • Fangs by Falling Up
  • The Fixtape Vol. 2 One Mo Hit by Krayzie Bone
  • Hannah Montana: The Movie (soundtrack) by Hannah Montana
  • The Hazards of Love by The Decemberists
  • Hymn to the Immortal Wind by Mono
  • In a Perfect World... by Keri Hilson
  • Metamorphosis by Papa Roach
  • On the Cover II by MxPx
  • Para Olvidarte De Mí by RBD
  • Pray IV Reign by Jim Jones
  • Shine by Martina McBride
  • Son of a Preacher Man by John Rich
  • Ten Re-release by Pearl Jam
  • Three by Joel Plaskett
March 31

• 4 Life by UGK
  • A Shipwreck in the Sand by Silverstein
  • American Soldier by Queensryche
  • Burn Halo by Burn Halo
  • Defying Gravity by Keith Urban
  • Everyday Demons by The Answer
  • Gangsta Grillz The Album II by DJ Drama
  • Living Thing by Peter Bjorn and John
  • Lost Channels by Great Lake Swimmers
  • New Jack City Part 2 by Bow Wow
  • Quiet Nights by Diana Krall
  • R.O.O.T.S. by Flo Rida
  • The Soundstage Sessions by Stevie Nicks
  • Unexpectedness by "Cronic Lataus"
  • The Very Best Things (1995-2008) by Filter
  • Yes! by k-os
Unspecified Date

• Before I Self Destruct by 50 Cent
  • Street Hop by Royce Da 5'9"

Keeping in mind the fact that were in a different world when it comes to album sales, here is how How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb did in its first 8 weeks of release in the United States:

U.S.

Top 200: 1-2-2-5-3-14-12-13

Sales: 842,930* + 288,446 + 280,332 + 299,645 + 350,013 + 94,815 + 59,233 + 48,557 +

Total = 2,263,902

*839,724 in actual first week sales + 3,206 in street violations from the previous week

great for NLOTH at UK #1:applaud:, kelly clarkson only at #3 that really shocked me.
with no big forthcoming releases. U2 should be on course for another few weeks at the top spot.

@Maoilbheannacht
So that's a 65,8% sales drop in week 1-2. That's interesting to compare with, not?

great for NLOTH at UK #1:applaud:, kelly clarkson only at #3 that really shocked me.
with no big forthcoming releases. U2 should be on course for another few weeks at the top spot.

They'll be off the top next week, it's mother's day week some cheesy ballads album that no self-respecting mother would ever listen to will top the charts

Ronan Keating is releasing Songs for my Mother...let us all cry

@Maoilbheannacht
So that's a 65,8% sales drop in week 1-2. That's interesting to compare with, not?

It will be interesting to see what the sales drop is for No Line On The Horizon this week. Kelly Clarkson's new album is currently projected to sell 220,000 copies its first week. If, No Line... declines by the same as Bomb, it will sell 164,000 copies. But if No Line... were only to suffer a 50% to 55% decline, then it has a chance to be #1 for a second week in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom