NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Magnificent is now at #1 and #2 in the Amazon singles list.

Bestsellers in Music
Any Category > Music > CD Single
The most popular items in CD Single. Updated hourly.

#1 - 7 days in the top 100 Magnificent ~ U2 (Artist)
Release Date: 4 May 2009
Available for pre-order
Price: £2.98

#2 - 8 days in the top 100 Magnificent ~ U2 (Artist)
Release Date: 4 May 2009
Available for pre-order
Price: £3.89

Don't know if this is going to have any impact on official UK charts.

If it wasn't for downloads the song would go number one with a few thousand sales meaning it wouldn't deserve to be number 1

yes, thats a very fair point. but i dont think most of the songs that go to number 1 should do, firstly because they are downloaded mainly by little children and chavs. and secondly because they are crap songs, and the artist doesnt have any talent. i.e flo rida, titchy strider and the rest of them.

75 in music, so I can't imagine it's sold many, maybe a few hundred?

It was #98 when I looked so it was going up, but it's at #82 now.
(Physical disk, pre-order).

Oh, and still #1 iand #2 in Amazon Uk Cd-Singles, above Poker Face and Untouchable :)

The Magnificent EP now up to number 55 on the UK itunes album list, up from number 84 yesterday, so some progress at least.

On the HMV website, the Magnificent 7" is number 10 on their Top Ten Music list, which covers both singles, EP's and full albums. So it must be selling in good enough numbers on their website. Which is a good job, cause I couldn't find the bloody CD single in my HMV shop today! Had to order it from Amazon.

Magnificent is still only number 127 on the top MP3 list on Amazon though.

On the HMV website, the Magnificent 7" is number 10 on their Top Ten Music list, which covers both singles, EP's and full albums. So it must be selling in good enough numbers on their website. Which is a good job, cause I couldn't find the bloody CD single in my HMV shop today! Had to order it from Amazon.

Magnificent is still only number 127 on the top MP3 list on Amazon though.

Both versions of Boots made this list, near the top of it I think so that isn't a lot of sales

We'll know tomorrow how's it's doing anyway

UK top 40 is dead

Maybe Magnificent will not even charting! I don't know how the British charts are set up nowadays. A few months ago Keane's single 'perfect symmetry' didn't make it to the top 100!!! And this song is (was) a definite top 10 song. I think that's the case with Magnificent. It's their best song with the worst charting.

In the Netherlands it's the same with the top 40, although Magnificent charted here. It didn't make the top 10 and now it's out of the 40. Maybe the physical release makes a re-entry possible, but a top 10 position is not a possibility I think.

Download charts should be for the kids only.
Magnificent is a classic like Clocks from Coldplay. U2 should release a triple physical single with all promo live versions of songs they played in the UK or US.

No idea wat kind of sales numbers we are talking about here, but the Magnificent 7" is up to number 4 in the HMV website Top Ten in Music (up from number 10 yesterday).

Download charts should be for the kids only.
Magnificent is a classic like Clocks from Coldplay. U2 should release a triple physical single with all promo live versions of songs they played in the UK or US.

Downloads are what sell now, physical singles are pointless. The singles chart is a download chart and that's the why it should be. Magnificent may be the biggest selling physical but it has no right to be in the top 40 if no one downloads

Magnificent is now officially declining in spins on the Rock, Alternative, Triple A, and Active Rock formats in the US.

Only still increasing on Hot AC.

Magnificent is now at #8 in the Dutch iTunes Albums chart (all music) and at #2 (w/3 remixes) and #4 (w/live tracks) in the Rock Section albums list. (No Line is at #5 in Rock).

It's also at #4 (Magnificent) #5 (Fred Falke Full Club Mix) and #7 (Adam K and Soha Club Mix) in the Rock Section Tophits.

Top 100 Hits online just updated in the U.S. After a brief one week stall, Magnificent rises up to 21 from 33 in it's 5th week. I'm starting to think this chart is probably more relevant than most of the charts I follow...

It measures the number of times a song, or video of a song, is streamed online in a given week. Boots slips 4 spots to 56 this week, and it's now in it's 13th week. The video gave the song a push on this chart when it came out, and it peaked at #16. With Magnificent up to 21 already, and the remixes hitting the web along with the video later today, the potential for a top "online" hit is there for U2.

Also, many of the songs on this chart do mirror the BB Hot 100, so don't dismiss it too quickly. Lady Gaga's Poker Face is number 1 right now...Kelly Clarkston is #2 with "My life sucks with or without you"...so the chart does reflect the U.S. taste in music (or lack of). The biggest difference is that individuals are choosing to stream songs, too, as these chart positions are not just the result of websites playing a radio station(s).

At least Magnificent is still rising on Hot Adult Top 40, or Hot AC, which is probably a bigger format than all the other 4 formats it's on combined. Just don't understand the ridiculous release strategy regarding NLOTH singles. I WANT the Redanka 360 remix of the song, but I have tried and I can't buy it. Anyone who would like to assist me in getting my remix fix, please do let me know.

Top 100 Hits online just updated in the U.S. After a brief one week stall, Magnificent rises up to 21 from 33 in it's 5th week. I'm starting to think this chart is probably more relevant than most of the charts I follow...

It measures the number of times a song, or video of a song, is streamed online in a given week. Boots slips 4 spots to 56 this week, and it's now in it's 13th week. The video gave the song a push on this chart when it came out, and it peaked at #16. With Magnificent up to 21 already, and the remixes hitting the web along with the video later today, the potential for a top "online" hit is there for U2.

Also, many of the songs on this chart do mirror the BB Hot 100, so don't dismiss it too quickly. Lady Gaga's Poker Face is number 1 right now...Kelly Clarkston is #2 with "My life sucks with or without you"...so the chart does reflect the U.S. taste in music (or lack of). The biggest difference is that individuals are choosing to stream songs, too, as these chart positions are not just the result of websites playing a radio station(s).

At least Magnificent is still rising on Hot Adult Top 40, or Hot AC, which is probably a bigger format than all the other 4 formats it's on combined. Just don't understand the ridiculous release strategy regarding NLOTH singles. I WANT the Redanka 360 remix of the song, but I have tried and I can't buy it. Anyone who would like to assist me in getting my remix fix, please do let me know.

Great post--I still have some hope that this song could break through in some way (at least enough to avoid being an inarguable "flop").

I guess there is still hope for this song yet, but I just don't understand why people are downloading City of Blinding Lights more than Magnificent right now. I just don't see why people aren't buying purchasing this amazing song and they certainly aren't flocking out to purchase the album either in large numbers. I know the economy is bad and stealing music is rampant, but Viva la Vida is still in the the top 100 in iTunes, it just doesn't make sense to me that after months and months of that song it's still selling and Magnificent is not.

Magnificent wasn't played that much on radio 1, even the 2 previous weeks when it was on A playlist. So i don't think it will make a great difference on magnificent's run on the radio airplay. We should also keep in mind that the fact that Magnificent has been dropped off their playlist doesn't mean that they won't play it in the future. But Radio 1's policy is somehow weird. The previous week they dropped Girls Aloud, the same week their single got the plysical release. This week they do the same with u2 and Britney Spears, and next week it is very possible that they will drop Lilly Allen's song, which will get psysical released next week. I also think that Magnificent pays the price for the accusations against BBC of overexposing U2 the week before NLOTH got released. On a positive note though, Magnificent is still on the A playlist of radio 2.

Billboard's update today does not measure Magnificent's 1st week of "official release", although I think that's irrelevant for the U.S.

Triple A
Magnificent stays at #2 for the 6th week after 9 weeks on the chart w/increased plays

Mainstream Rock
Magnificent down 1 to #30

Alternative
Magnificent falls from 19 to 23

Adult Top 40
Magnificent spends it's 3rd straight week at #23 w/increase in plays (according to today's update on Mediabase, the increase in spins is up to 77 over 7 days ago, and the number of stations playing the song has risen from 49 to 59).

Canadian Hot 100
Magnificent up 2 spots to #73 in it's 6th week on the chart

Japan Hot 100
Magnificent debuts at #93

Europe Radio Airplay Top 15
Magnificent up from 15 to 13 (perhaps the biggest way to boost album sales?)

Europe Top 100 Albums
NLOTH at #4

The Magnificent 7" single is now the number 1 selling physical music product (albums and singles) through the HMV UK website! :applaud: Still nowhere on the downloads though :sad:

Back
Top Bottom