NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
5M would be equal to bomb's sucess i think. 6M would be close to VLV considering this was released last year, (ignoring the fact it had hit single)

Magnificent was UK #9 airplay, not great really. Sometimes was #1 in this, I think thats a big difference, and while we can argue downloads have changed the singles chart, I dont think airplay has changed much, so this maybe a better indicator of U2's popularity now and in recent years. and on this assumption, mag was nowhere near as popular as the HTDAAB singles. 4 yeasr ago GOYB would have probably been a big hit, similar to Vertigo, i wonder how vertigo would have performed this year.

i cant see greendays album doing that well, and am even having doubts over eminems, (think he may be turning into more of a singles artist)while his songs now seem to have more of a comedy lyrics, a far cry from his heyday where the lyrics (if u like him or not) had some meaning behind them. looking on the amazon charts, their albums didnt go stright in at #1 on prerelease as NLOTH did many weeks before its release, though obviously this doesnt tell a full picture.

It doesn't really matter if it's moving up in one format if it's starting to drop rapidly on all the others...

:sad:

This song appears to be dying on US radio. It's losing plays on 4 out of the 5 formats it's charted on. It's tumbling downwards on Alternative radio, which is quite a large format.

I agree about Alternative Radio...there are 70+ stations on this format. U2 peaked with about 42 stations playing Magnificent. Triple A has 31 stations, and while Magnificent has peaked at #1 for 5 weeks and 3 more at #2, 30 stations still have the song in rotation. The mainstream rock and active rock formats have far fewer stations in their formats...Magnificent made it to #8 on the mainstream rock chart with just 11 stations playing the song.

Adult Top 40, however, has over 100 stations tied to that format. Plus, the 4 mediabase formats you sited where U2 is falling are traditionally U2 supporters, especially Triple A. As Dr. Who has mentioned, however, for U2 to have a song "cross over", it has to reach either Mainstream Top 40 or Adult Top 40. It wouldn't surprise me if 80% of listeners of the Rock/Alternative/Triple A charts who heard and liked Magnificent already had NLOTH. However, on Top 40 radio, it's likely much less than that, and possibly under 10% (just guessing).

Magnificent is now playing on 62 stations on Adult Top 40 radio, which is more stations than the other formats combined that are playing the song. Plus, the top song on Adult Top 40 has 3500-4000 spins per week. The only other format that Magnificent showed up on that's even close is Alternative, which usually runs around 2500 spins or so for it's top song/week.

Guess I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Mag in the U.S. as long as it's rising on either Top 40 format. BD took a long, slow rise on this exact same format - Adult Top 40 - and peaked at #21 on the Hot 100 many months after it was released as a result...with little to no help from physical sales/downloads at that point...so it was mostly due to the airplay on the Adult Top 40 format. FYI, while I did point out that daily trends can be misleading, Mag is now up 2 spots on this chart in the last 7 days through yesterday.

BD took a long, slow rise on this exact same format - Adult Top 40 - and peaked at #21 on the Hot 100 many months after it was released as a result...with little to no help from physical sales/downloads at that point...

Billboard has tweaked the formula for the Hot 100 several times since then; downloads weren't counted at all at the time. I wonder if airplay is worth more or less, proportionally, than it was in 2000/2001 compared to sales/downloads.

Though it may not matter; as you stated, if Magnificent gets more spins on Adult Top 40, more people in the US may download the album version and push it up the chart from both directions.

As Dr. Who has mentioned, however, for U2 to have a song "cross over", it has to reach either Mainstream Top 40 or Adult Top 40. It wouldn't surprise me if 80% of listeners of the Rock/Alternative/Triple A charts who heard and liked Magnificent already had NLOTH. However, on Top 40 radio, it's likely much less than that, and possibly under 10% (just guessing).

This is a good point. As far as album sales are concerned, Magnificent is selling more copies of NLOTH in these Top 40 formats, while most typical U2 fans are listening to rock/alt/aaa.

I still think it's a longshot though. The song is U2's #6 downloaded song on iTunes, doing about 1/3 the sales of Beautiful Day. The music video only has about 20,000 hits on Youtube after several days. Chart position is a function of overall spins and downloads, and while the song's gradual and slow treck up the Hot AC chart is encouraging that it might stick around for a while on the radio and sell some more copies of the album, it's decreasing in spins overall. It has dropped over 200 spins on Alternative radio in the past week and has only increased by about 30 on Hot AC. The official release of the single and video appears to have had zero effect in the US.

I hope you're right and that if it continues to increase on the Hot AC that it might eventually hop onto other formats as well. The whole thing is just very frustrating for those of us who love the song and want to see it do as well as it deserves. Oh well. This one will still be a fan favorite for a long time I think :D

''majority of people like that kind of music. A lot of people think U2 are garbage''--said by Irishteen.

Majority of the people who like and buy garbage like Lady Gaga and
Flo Rida are short of brain-mater IMO. I feel real pity for them for their
empty-headedness and feel grateful to God to give me the ability to enjoy the
heavenly music of U2.

Billboard has updated, and Magnificent stays at #23 on Adult Top 40 again, with rising plays. Not sure what the future holds for this song...and that's ashame.

In Canada, it drops to #81 in it's 7th week on the Hot 100.

On the Eurochart Top 100 Songs, it debuts at #35

On the Eurochart Airplay only chart, it remains at #13, giving it a four week run of 15-15-13-13 in all of Europe w/respect to radio play.

Perhaps that is one reason why NLOTH remains at #5 on the Eurochart Album Top 100.

would be very interesting to see what BD did on the AD Top 40 when it was released. I do remember it being a very SLOW riser, and if I remember correctly, it did have the Grammies to boost it. Mag does not have anything in the near future.

I know we're not supposed to "care"....but I have to believe U2 just does not want to promote songs from this album. They want the album to do well, and they're going to use the tour to sustain that. And next year's grammies.

If a song can become a hit, it's completely on the song's shoulders. I have my doubts....as there have been catchier tunes released from the pervious albums that haven't had the chart positioing mag does (OOTS, SYCMIOYO, etc).

well the guys are wise, and the management knows economy very well.
The fact is that promotion has a cost, and mcguinne$$ knows very well that
promotion has a reason only if with promotion sales increases proportionally.
I.e. if you make an album in a growing economy, promotion cost are an investment and could double your sales,
if you produce a cd in a recessing economy, promotion cost are no longer an investment but may turn out to be a risk and lead to a rise of few hundreds of copies in front of huge cost...
so, no promotion at all, no cost and in this way the sales are pure gain...

Top 100 Hits online
Magnificent slips 3 spots to 24
Boots at 87 in it's 14 week (peaked at 16 after video pushed it back up)

Magnificent may be done in the U.S., which is a shame. It did well on Adult Rock and OK on Alternative & Mainstream Rock. It's still rising on Adult Top 40, but with no single release or promotion in the U.S., it may be done on that format, too.

Maybe the poster who said U2 feels that NLOTH should be listened to as an ALBUM is correct, and therefore have ditched much, if any, single promotion. The tour should promote the album...and perhaps awards. Time will tell.

Someone just posted this over in the new album forum. Not sure what impact, if any, this could have the US charts. I'll definitely be buying the CD:

"Originally Posted by morgan1098 View Post
Just saw this over at MusicTap.net, a web site that reports CD release dates:

Watch for Magnificent, a Digital EP coming from U2 and scheduled for May 19. Physical product arrives on June 9 from Interscope Records as a Maxi CD.

As far as I know, MusicTap only reports on US-released CDs, which means if there really is a Maxi CD coming out it will be the first one since the Pop era to be released in the US. Plus, the listing notes that it is on Interscope Records, which also only applies to the US."

Someone just posted this over in the new album forum. Not sure what impact, if any, this could have the US charts. I'll definitely be buying the CD:

Watch for Magnificent, a Digital EP coming from U2 and scheduled for May 19. Physical product arrives on June 9 from Interscope Records as a Maxi CD.

As far as I know, MusicTap only reports on US-released CDs, which means if there really is a Maxi CD coming out it will be the first one since the Pop era to be released in the US. Plus, the listing notes that it is on Interscope Records, which also only applies to the US."

June 9? Why wait for so long? This is good news all the same.

Well, the download part at least is true. Amazon already has it listed. It's the same four remixes already released on iTunes in the UK plus the Dave Aude remix.

Amazon.com: Magnificent: MP3 Downloads: U2

Magnificent bombs!

NOT such a beautiful day for seasoned rockers U2 - their latest single has become the lads' biggest flop in TWO DECADES . . . it didn't even make the Top 40!

Despite being the standout track on their new album, Magnificent had a chart performance that was anything but (sorry BONO).

It only managed to limp in to No 42 thanks to its paltry 5,157 copies being sold and downloaded.

I don't mean to sound dramatic, folks, but that's a commercial disaster of epic proportions that would send lesser bands to the scrapheap.

The tune becomes their lowest single in 22 years, since God's Country hit number 48 in 1987. Sadly, for Bono and THE EDGE, new album No Line On The Horizon did no better - it was their worst-selling in the band's long history.

Bet Bono wishes he could hide Where The Streets Have No Name.

from The News Of The World

Typical asinine journalism from News Of The World. How does anybody take such poorly written drivel seriously?

... new album No Line On The Horizon did no better - it was their worst-selling in the band's long history.

Yet still the best-selling album of the year so far. Hm.

Piece of journo crap. They're calling NLOTH the worst selling U2 album ever yet it's only been out for 2 or so months, but wait, it's the best selling album of '09 so far!

The singles won't do well at all from this album if they keep promoting them like this, absolutely no promotion at all really, video's not out when the song is already on the radio etc etc.

It hasn't even been released as a single here and I haven't seen the video once on television. I think the song will be doing well in the charts once the single is released, which should be next week.

The News Of The World isn't exactly the most reliable source for news on U2's charts performance. They hate Bono. This is a piece of crap journalism I wouldn't trust. NLOTH is a good album, critics have praised it, but U2 certainly won't save the record industry.

Yes, but that's an import of the Euro CD that's already out. The US remix EP isn't due out on CD until June 9.

Oh, you´re right but the odd thing is that the tracklisting includes a "to be confirmed" fourth song. That´s why I took for granted it was a different cd single version than the two european ones.

Eitherway, the important thing here is that the remixes will be released on CD in the US. This is a first since 1997!!

This is so disheartening, the world could use an uplifting shot in the arm like Magnificent to suceed, and God knows the music industry could use something like that to be popular, it comes down to people swallowing crap and Paul McGuinness totally dropping the ball on what he's so good at... moneygrubbing.

:(

Back
Top Bottom