Modern Rock Chart...a little Off Topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_rehearsal

The Fly
I know this isn't U2 related, but it is chart related. Can someone please explain to me why Eminem is on the Modern Rock Chart ? I just saw on Billboard that Without Me is #17. Is there a "rock" version that I haven't heard or is something weird ?

aaron

The Modern Rock chart usually has a much broader range of musical styles than the Mainstream Rock Charts. Certainly the whole Rap/Rock, Rap/Metal genre charts well on these charts today and in fact I'd say own these charts. I have not heard this M&M song unless its the one he just release. Rap/Rock is so popular that I supose anyone in Rap could potentially chart here now even if the music is not technically rock.

cashing in

I'd say that many "modern rock" radio stations are playing this song, because:
A. He is white
B. The song is "rap-like", but different than your typical rap song
C. The album is selling HUGE, so they are cashing in a bit on his popularity at the moment.

Sting, i can't believe you have avoided hearing this song. It is about the only video MTV plays other than that Nelly song, and is now number 2 on the pop charts.

It is a bit sad to see the deterioration of what was once the greatest radio format around. Rap-rock, really heavy stuff, and mediocre vanilla crap (ie. Creed, Nickelback, etc...) rule this format and this chart for now.

I have heard this song, but I thought there might have been some more rock oriented song they were promoting on Modern Rock at the same time. This does happen. Anyways, I know the song your talking about and I am a bit surprised its on the Modern Rock Charts. Not familier with the name though, because I switch channels or stations when I hear the song. I tolerate it though at the night clubs.

Down here in South Florida, I've been hearing M&M's "Without Me" an awful lot lately on the only modern rock station 103.1 The Buzz. This station plays plenty from the Beastie Boys, I sometimes here Beastie's twice a day(not a bad thing I like em). So I'm not too surprised that "Without Me" is racing up the Modern Rock Chart.

Anybody know the Beastie Boys track record on the Modern Rock chart??

Thank god, Chili Peppers have a new album, and I'm glad to see "By The Way" at top of Modern Rock chart after only 3 weeks of being released. It's a great song. I'd say Chili Peppers are part of the remaining few bands that can still reign at the top of Modern Rock Chart after so many years. U2 still can(at least top 10). Not sure about Pearl jam, hopefully there new album will be more accessible. Otherwise R.E.M. is sadly gone from this chart.

Not sure who else you can put in this class??

Back
Top Bottom