MERGED ---> one with mary j + U2 & Mary J

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UK single number 3

The single of One with Mary this week is on the 3 position (from 2). These are good news.

In the downloads chart it climbs from 9 to 6. The original song of U2 enters to the top 200 of downloads too.

Cheers
Gery

ybird3k said:
#3 is great, Vertigo and Sometimes had huge falls in their 2nd week position after being #1. i guess the stability in the chart these days is due to downloads counting.

and a line from 'One', has been voted best song lyric by VH1 viewers. (probably helped by the new Mary J version)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4915848.stm

:yes: great news all that :up:

So, total UK sales & chart run for 'One' to date :

# 19 (with about 7,500 downloads only) - # 2 (28,653) - # 3 (sold somewhere between 16 & 28.5k - i'll guess at about 20k)

So approx total sales after just 3wks = 56,000 (is now the 27th best selling single of the year to date)

Last edited:
down here in australia its credited as Mary J Bilge (featureing U2) which pisses me off Bono sings a bit and Edge, Adam and Larry are playing the friggin music its pathetic that she should get most of the credit, it U2 werent doing it with here there by no music and it would plain suck.

its moved down 1 position to #29 on mediatraffic, though with a points increase. and for some reason there is a red triangle for 2 million points by it after only 2 weeks, clearly a mistake. more like 180k points.

ybird3k said:
its moved down 1 position to #29 on mediatraffic, though with a points increase. and for some reason there is a red triangle for 2 million points by it after only 2 weeks, clearly a mistake. more like 180k points.

Yes indeed - with 79k last week it should now be on 159k.

In the trend chart of Germany the song is likely to enter in the top 10, at #7 for the moment.

It does actually seem rather odd that it's gone down 1 spot at MediaTraffic when it's gone up 28 spots to # 8 in Holland, only dropped 1 spot in UK (to # 3) & stayed at # 4 in Ireland - i wonder if this is also a mistake ? I would think these positions alone are worth about a 5 spot increase on their chart.

Last edited:
So, is this Week 4 or Week 3, since One entered the singles chart the week before the CD release?

Based on the new rules for the UK Chart, (Singles can enter the chart based on downloads only one week before the CD release) I guess it would be Week 4.

Anyway, One is hanging in at #5 on the UK chart. A lot more traction than any U2 single has had in a while.

Nobody has been able to dethrone Gnarls Barkley yet.

Danny Boy said:
So, is this Week 4 or Week 3, since One entered the singles chart the week before the CD release?

Based on the new rules for the UK Chart, (Singles can enter the chart based on downloads only one week before the CD release) I guess it would be Week 4.

Anyway, One is hanging in at #5 on the UK chart. A lot more traction than any U2 single has had in a while.

Nobody has been able to dethrone Gnarls Barkley yet.

It's week 4 & # 5 is great !...

Total UK sales & chart run for 'One' to date :

# 19 (with about 7,500 downloads only) - # 2 (28,653) - # 3 (sold somewhere between 16 & 28.5k - i'll guess at about 20k) - # 5 (sold somewhere between 11 & 25k - i'll guess at about 18k)

So approx total sales after just 4wks = 74,000

Billboard

Billboard's charts for Europe:

Top 100 Singles in Europe:
One up to #5 (12)

Top 20 Downloads in Europe:
One down to #4 (2)

MediaTraffic world chart :

up 12 to # 17 with 111.000 :up:

...run (& sales/points) so far :

28 (80k) - 29 (79k) - 17 (111k)

Last edited:
I was under the impression Mary J. Blige had a different second single than "One" for the US market.

Regardless, I'm glad the song is getting exposure somewhere. Not only is it a decent collaboration (despite what you haters think), plus it helps U2's image with the younger demographic, which is always a good thing :wink:

Catman said:
I was under the impression Mary J. Blige had a different second single than "One" for the US market.

Regardless, I'm glad the song is getting exposure somewhere. Not only is it a decent collaboration (despite what you haters think), plus it helps U2's image with the younger demographic, which is always a good thing :wink:

funny u say that cos my sister ( who is 17 ) said who's that wanker with the guitar .......... i said which 1 :wink:

Danny Boy said:
Week 5. Hanging in at #9 in the UK chart. A four-week run in the top 10 is pretty impressive, IMHO.

Yes, still pretty good. & it sold maybe about another 15k so...

Total UK sales & chart run for 'One' to date :

Week 1 : # 19 (sold about 7,500 downloads only)
Week 2 : # 2 (28,653)
Week 3 : # 3 (sold somewhere between 16 & 28.5k - i'll guess at about 20k)
Week 4 : # 5 (sold somewhere between 11 & 25k - i'll guess at about 18k)
Week 5 : # 9 (# 8 sold 18,700 & # 11 sold 12,700)

So approx total sales after 5wks = 89,000 (21st best selling single of 2006 so far)

Last edited:
:up: MediaTraffic world chart :

up 4 to # 13 with 129.000

...run (& sales/points) so far :

28 (80k) - 29 (79k) - 17 (111k) - 13 (129k)

Last edited:
Danny Boy said:
Week 5. Hanging in at #9 in the UK chart. A four-week run in the top 10 is pretty impressive, IMHO.

This is impressive and clearly indicates the effects of legal downloading on the U.K. charts. We've already seen the effects on the U.S. charts.

I predict that the next big U2 (and only U2) single (from presumably their next release) will have a similar charting pattern. Paul McGuinness will bust his butt to make sure U2 has a clear shot at hitting #1 (ala "Vertigo") by releasing the single in a week with less competition. But thanks to downloads, U2 won't hit #1 and then quickly fall, as have all of their past singles (from the 80's as well). Rather, they may slowly decline, and that will be a nice change.

Back
Top Bottom