MERGED ---> one with mary j + U2 & Mary J

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Midweeks info in UK :

The physical release of Gnarls Barkley’s Crazy (Warner Bros) will ensure the single remains at the summit of the single chart this weekend, after registering almost 50,000 over-the-counter sales yesterday.

Retail reports suggest the single, which famously reached number one last week based solely on digital sales, has already trumped last week’s sales total after just one day’s physical sales. It is outselling the rest of the top 15 combined, and is keeping Mary J Blige & U2’s One (Geffen), which itself climbs from number 19, from number one.

This is ridiculous! Who are these ridiculous one hit wonder artists the UK keeps producing! No wonder there hadnt been a UK Artist at Number 1 in the UK for 9 years (That is before James Blunt) because most of their artists are sh**e!!!!!!!

I meant to say that there hadnt been a UK artist at Number 1 in the US. My mistake. Typing error!!!

Well i'll be pretty happy with # 2. Btw, it is definitely being credited to U2 'cos MusicWeek this week says it's U2's 37th top 40 hit (& Mary J's 27th) :wink:

It's actually U2's 38th Top 40 Hit if you include Musique Vs U2 and LMC Vs U2, which the UK officially count as U2 Hits.

I don't know whats going on in this forum, but I was redirected from a previous thread 'MJB+U2 reaches 19th at the UK' . someone said that MJB version was better than the original. its not

I have no problem with U2 doing this version, their choice.

thats excellent imo, :wink: it was never gonna beat Gnarls Barkley. i reckon one sold bout 20k including downloads, and gnarls probably well over 100k.

No U2 album on the UK top 200.

Music week full report:

Morrissey leads new era for albums chart
Source: Music Week

A new chapter in chart history starts with the inclusion of downloads in the album chart for the first time, while singles downloads reach a new high, topping the million mark, writes Alan Jones.

Downloads were first included in the singles chart 51 weeks ago (week 15, 2005) , with that first chart including 354,620 downloads. The following week (week 16) saw the 400,000 mark breached for the first time. 500,000 followed on week 31, 600,000 on week 43, 700,000 on week 45, 800,000 on week 51, and 900,000 on week 52. In the latter week, Shayne Ward's That's My Goal sold 71,997 copies on download, helping the medium to a heady 958,619 total.

They finally topped the million mark last week, surging to 1,076,986, with Gnarls Barkley's Crazy setting a new record of 73,075, beating the previous best of That's My Goal as detailed above. 98 downloads sold more than 1,000 copies last week.

Crazy achieved that record despite being finally given a physical release last Monday (3rd). It amassed a robust 120,954 sales on CD, and 150 on 7-inch and 12-inch (leaked formats, not officially released until today), which, with its downloads, makes a grand total of 194,179. It is, by some distance, the highest weekly sale for a number one single thus far in 2006, beating the previous best of 132,284 set by Shayne Ward in the first week of the year. Crazy sold 74,213 copies on download in three weeks before hitting the shops but only the last of those weeks counts towards its official sales, making its to date tally 225,862, the highest of the year, with Notorious B.I.G.'s Nasty Girl in second place on 187,038. If all of Crazy's downloads could be included its sales tally would be 268,392.

Crazy made an impressive 34.48% contribution to physical sales of 351,169 last week, the highest of the year.

Combined physical and download sales of 1,428,155 represent a 24% increase week-on-week, and are also the highest of the year.

After debuting at number 19 on downloads last week, seasoned veterans Mary J. Blige and U2's new version of U2's number seven 1992 hit One is the new and distant runner-up to Crazy, jumping to number two on sales of 28,653. It's Blige's 27th and biggest Top 40 hit (beating her number four As collaboration with George Michael) and U2's 37th. The track also features on Blige's current album The Breakthrough, which has spent 16 weeks pottering around between number 40 and number 62 but leaps 41-30 to a new peak this week, with sales of 10,233 taking its cume to 151,482.

Their 2004 debut album Who Killed The Zutons sold 553,796 copies and spawned five Top 40 singles so anticipation is high for The Zutons' second album Tired Of Hangin' Around, which is out next Monday (17th). Introductory single Why Won't You Give Me Your Love was released last week, and is the only new entry to the Top 10, debuting at number nine on sales of 10,974, instantly becoming the band's highest charting hit, replacing Don't Ever Think (Too Much), which reached number 15 in October 2004.

After their number one success with JCB Song, Nizlopi's new single Girls might also have been fancied to make the Top 10 but falls spectacularly.

Nizlopi topped the chart last December with JCB Song, which has so far racked up sales of 428,309 - but follow-up Girls, released last week, is conspicuous by its absence from the Top 75. 845 CD sales and 198 downloads last week were enough only to earn the single 91st place in the chart - but it may just be a slow starter, like JCB Song, which sold a paltry 265 copies and charted at number 160 when first released last June. Nizlopi's debut album Half These Songs Are About You is also chart-shy, with a peak position of 88, and sales of 45,518 since its August 2004 release.

Meanwhile, Orson's debut single No Tomorrow spends its sixth straight week in the Top 5, and, oddly, has sold more copies every week that the 17,694 it sold when it reached number one three weeks ago - the lowest sales ever for a number one. No Tomorrow has progressed 5-2-1-3-5-4, while its weekly sales have moved 22,337-21,030-17,694-19,181-18,103-18,396. The band's eagerly awaited debut album Bright Idea isn't released for a further six weeks (22 May).

While downloads made up 75.4% of the singles market last week, they accounted for a much more modest 1.8% of the album market of 2,597,793. Of 46,897 album downloads, the top tallies were 1,914 for This New World by Embrace, 1,397 for Inside In/Inside Out by The Kooks and 1,301 for Collected: The Best Of Massive Attack.

Morrissey's Ringleader album (1,283) was the only other disc to be dwonloaded more than 1,000 times, and is the first number one album of the combined physical/download era. There are also Top 10 debuts for new albums by Pink and The Flaming Lips - but The Stereophonics miss out on the upper echelon for the first time.

Twelve years after his first number one album Vauxhall And I debuted in pole position with a sale of just 25,446, Morrissey returns to the summit with Ringleader Of The Tormentors, which sold 62,709 copies last week. That's fewer than the first week sales of his last album, Morrissey, You Are The Quarry, which opened with 74,995 copies, but had to settle for second place behind Keane's Hopes And Fears. Ringleader is the first number one ever on Attack, which started life as a reggae label in 1972, and is now a Sanctuary imprint.

Morrissey first topped the chart with The Smiths' Meat Is Murder in February 1985, and extends his span to more than 21 years with his fourth number one in all, and his second solo number one, Ringleader Of The Tormentors. The only artists with longer spans of number ones are Elvis Presley, Tom Jones, Cliff Richard, The Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Diana Ross, Pink Floyd, Abba and Barbra Streisand.

Pink's fourth album, I'm Not Dead, debuts at number three on first week sales of 39,892. The album, home to the number four single Stupid Girls thus beats 2002 album Missundaztood, which opened at number four on sales of 21,846 and her 2000 debut album Can't Take Me Home, which debuted at number 75 on sales of 1,836 and remained there for a further two weeks before eventually climbing as high as number 13. However, Pink's last album, Try This, opened at number three in 2003, with first week sales of 61,526.

Perhaps their rockiest album yet, At War With The |Mystics delivers Flaming Lips with their first ever Top 10 entry, debuting at number six on sales of 29,666. The band's first release for nearly four years, it's the follow-up to Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, which was by far their biggest commercial success, spinning off a trio of Top 40 hits, reaching number 13, and selling 247,372 copies. Their only previous chart album, 1999's The Soft Bulletin, reached number 39 and sold 108,012 copies.

Live albums are a good way of filling a gap between releases but rarely deliver the same level of sales as studio albums - and the Stereophonics' new concert set Live From Dakota is no exception. Recorded, as its title suggests in the state which lent its name to their 2005 number one single, it contains songs spanning their career and even new material but its number 13 debut on sales of 19,278 spoils their hitherto perfect run of five straight Top 10 albums and four number ones in a row.

Shapeshifters' debut album, Sound Advice, was the only album to register more than 10% of its sales of download last week, selling 185 copies in the format, a 13.28% portion of its total sales of 1,393. It was the 35th biggest selling download album but failed to make the Top 200 overall.

The highest artist album chart placing affected by downloads was number eight which went to Corinne Bailey Rae (25,328 sales including 819 downloads) instead of Journey South who would have taken it on physical sales alone - their tally of 25,300 sales including just 355 downloads.

Finally, although most observers expected a Top 10 placing for Mish Mash's Speechless which debuts at number 16 on the singles chart this week, dance music at least reasserts itself at the top of the compilation chart, with club-themed albums taking four of the top five slots, their best showing so far this century. The Hacienda Classics rank fifth, with Club Fever 2006 at four, Dance Nation at three and Floorfillers - Club Classics continuing in pole position with sales of 26,265. Massive R&B - Spring Collection 2006, at two, is the odd one out.

Why do they keep saying its U2's 37th Top 40 hit when they have had 38???

04072511 said:
Why do they keep saying its U2's 37th Top 40 hit when they have had 38???

That's bugging me too. Sometimes they just make these silly little errors. I'm happy for the result though. :wink: :up:

ybird3k said:
is 38 including miss sarejevo, which is credited as passengers not U2?

No...& 38 does include 'LMC vrs U2' & 'New Year's Dub', 'cos they're both credited to U2.

Last edited:
no, 38 includes LMC Vs U2 and Musique Vs U2. If passengers was included it would be 39.

It's the Hot Shot Debut on the new MediaTraffic world chart !

# 28 (NEW) One - Mary J.Blige & U2
Geffen - 79.000 - Hot Shot Debut

:up:

It's getting stacks of airplay here!!!

I liked it before....but now it really has grown on me,I love it. You can feel Mary's emotions spilling out when she belts it out....love it!!!

Remember that the single has not been released in every country. It's for example the case in Germany where it will be avaible on Monday and also in France.

:up: -- my random function of the iPod loves that song -- I've listened to it a LOT of times and still I :sad: every time I listen to it!!

Yeah thank fuc# it didn't reach number one. Now watch it drop like a stone......like it deserves to. Go and never darken my doorstep again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

U2DMfan said:
She's at #5 in America
different song though

I don't think the American side of her label is promoting that song at all here.

Nope. I haven't heard it yet or seen the video. But her other song is doing very well. I guess "One" is too deep and meaningful for (almost) anyone under 30 to appreciate it over here. :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom