Hits Week 15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yahweh said:
U2 as a band have now offically come full circle in america...they started off selling more live then they did in album sales and then the album sales and live were about equal for 10 years or so and now they are back to being a bigger live band then album sales. Simple as that.

HTDAAB in week 15 in the USA is still ahead of where Joshua Tree was in its total sales to week 15 in the USA. With 2.5 million in sales, "BOMB" only needs to sell another 1.5 million to be on the same playing field as Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby in terms of sales within the first two years of release. Its possible the album may not reach the 4 million mark by next year, but it will definitely fall somewhere between the 3 and 4 million mark by that time in the USA.

Outside the USA, BOMB is on track to have U2's biggest sales in the initial year of release, with the exception of the Joshua Tree album.

ybird3k said:
when is the video release in the US?
thats also gonna be very important, it needs to be released as soon as possible

They are already showing the video on VH1. I saw it yesterday morning and again this morning!

67.98% in

No U2! :sad:

i cant believe it
ive changed my mind, they wont be in the top 50, and i cant see them getting back into it in a while, unless 'Sometimes' is a hit :(

ybird3k said:
67.98% in

No U2! :sad:

i cant believe it
ive changed my mind, they wont be in the top 50, and i cant see them getting back into it in a while, unless 'Sometimes' is a hit :(
ouch :( thats very upsetting. hopefully BB will still have it in the top 50

well guys the moment we have been dreading.... out of the top 50 it goes :( NOW IN: 79.20% and still no sign

I haven't been dreading it. ;)

"Vertigo" was a great first single, but unlike "Beautiful Day", it didn't linger and linger and linger. All that lingering kept ATYCLB going for a while. In contrast, "Vertigo" behaved more like a normal highly anticipated first single. Now that it's gone, there's nothing really out there to push U2.

In other words, it was almost expected that HTDAAB would fall from the Top 50.

What U2 need to do now is PUSH "Sometimes...". Get this song advertised on the front page of iTunes (maybe throw in a freebie - like one of the remixes - with the download). Get it played more on radio. Get the video on VH-1. A nice slow heart-felt song like this *should* succeed - but only if people know about it.

Once this song is a hit, the album will climb the charts again. But if U2's marketing team drops the ball on this song as they did with ABoY, then forget it.

I've got to agree with doctorwho. It seems that at this point the only thing that will push HTDAAB back up the charts is a hit single and the RnR Hall of Fame. As has been stated before, the tour will stabilize sales but might not increase them.

U2 need to be out there more and more accessable. Casual fans aren't seeing U2 as much as they should. When was the last time U2 graced a magazine cover in the US? Why isn't Interscope providing a media assault shoving U2 down people's throats?

People have short attention spans and even shorter memories. Interscope and U2 shouldn't worry about over-saturation.

Just my thought.

Well, the #50 album on HITS sold 21,714 which means BOMB sold something less than that. Soldatti might have soundscan figures tomorrow and hopefully U2 will do better there than they have on HITS. The Billboard 200 chart will be posted on Thursday.

As long as the HALL OF FAME gets its usual TV broadcast on VH1, this should have a big impact on sales, at least for the following week or two. Look for the band to make appearences on David Letterman and Jay Leno when they play the New York City area and LA area as well. Also, if there is a major sporting event going on when U2 play Boston at the end of May, look for a song or two to be broadcast during the halftime. These events provide major exposure and can help sales for a few weeks here and there.

If it HITS is correct, it appears the album has fallen below the 20,000 mark in the USA already in just week 15. The album has sold an amazing 2.5 million copies already in the USA, but has now slowed down so much, that it is about where POP was in its week 15 in the USA. POP was in the #49 position, in its week 15 in the USA.

But, HTDAAB is a far better album and the band have a large number of oportunities to promote it in the USA over the next year.

VH1 and MTV no longer play video's enough to have any serious impact on the market. MTV2 only plays Hip-Hop and a limited amount of punk-rock videos. Bottom line, Radio is where U2 is going to have to promote "Sometimes". Video's are not really an option here in the USA any more.

I've been watching the airplay charts and Sometimes may reach the top 5 on adult top 40 this week. It's also flying up the alternative charts, and it's cracked both the mainstream and modern rock airwaves, too. I DO think we need the video, as well as an official release with a download available. Maybe the band has been through plenty with the personal issues and is more than happy with 9M in sales (for them) and counting, as they should reach 11M by year-end, and album sales may not matter compared to family matters.

Still, Paul M. is usually more savvy than this, and he should be working Interscope overtime and putting together a singles strategy that works! ABOY is done, the band played Sometimes at the grammies...I hope they do hang around after the RnR induction and play Sometimes on Leno & Letterman...whatever's been said already and then some. This album is way too good to fade out now, although this tour will be breaking records and I've already listed all the reasons why I think HTDAAB will sell 14M copies by this time next year. Paul M. needs to earn his 20% - very generous to be the "5th member"; all I've heard from him regarding this album are lot's of grandious quotes, but where is the action? It started out great and clever...but the marketing push and singles strategy seems to have disappeared after Vertigo. A small team of us Interference chart watchers could have done a much better job making Sometimes a worldwide hit and therefore keeping album sales up...I would have done it for free.

I am beginning to think U2 themselves have made a conscious effort just to get back into playing live, focusing on their families, and since they've already grossed $200M for the tour, maybe that's where they are going to put all their energy. I haven't heard Bono talking much about being the "biggest" or "best" on the planet anymore, Grammies are now a given for this band, and maybe it's best if they stick to live music now given the backlash about the i-pod thing and "selling out". Not to mention the stink raised about the ticket fiasco. In fact, the more I think and write about this, I am starting to wonder if U2 themselves are fine with the idea of fading from the front pages...their real fans already have the album and they are making money hand over fist. Who knows.

STING2 said:
VH1 and MTV no longer play video's enough to have any serious impact on the market. MTV2 only plays Hip-Hop and a limited amount of punk-rock videos. Bottom line, Radio is where U2 is going to have to promote "Sometimes". Video's are not really an option here in the USA any more.

On the contrary, I caught the SYCMIOYO video yesterday morining at 8 & 9 am on the hour. I woke up last night (early this morning) around 2:30 am, and turned on VH1, the video was playing. Exactly one hour later, it was shown again. (3:20 ish) - Read half a book last night. Then I was curious and left the TV on, and again at 4:15 to :20 am, It woke me up again. this continued untill 8 am central time, which was when the top 20 video countdown from last weekend came on.
Then I went to sleep.
For what it's worth, it's in rotation, every hour, so far, :cool: [when they are showing videos] at least on VH1. Don't know about MTV.

Edited to say: I didn't see ABOY, at all. It dropped to #12 from last week when it was #7, I think. It's now been replaced w/Sometimes... it seems.

Last edited:
If this single (sometimes...) isnt a hit its the end of HTDAAB in the USA. untill the grammys 2006. where it should get a boost, (i think they'll win album of the year)!!

If sometimes is a big hit HTDAAB will go back into the top 10 in the US! and should remain there for quite a time

Come on, lets get behind 'SYCMIOYO'!!!.
Millions of album sales depend on this single

sue4u2 said:

On the contrary, I caught the SYCMIOYO video yesterday morining at 8 & 9 am on the hour. I woke up last night (early this morning) around 2:30 am, and turned on VH1, the video was playing. Exactly one hour later, it was shown again. (3:20 ish) - Read half a book last night. Then I was curious and left the TV on, and again at 4:15 to :20 am, It woke me up again. this continued untill 8 am central time, which was when the top 20 video countdown from last weekend came on.
Then I went to sleep.
For what it's worth, it's in rotation, every hour, so far, :cool: [when they are showing videos] at least on VH1. Don't know about MTV.

Edited to say: I didn't see ABOY, at all. It dropped to #12 from last week when it was #7, I think. It's now been replaced w/Sometimes... it seems.

Showing the video when most people are asleep or at work or school will accomplish little! Watch MTV and VH1 from 3 PM to 11 PM and tell me how many times you even seen a music video let alone a U2 video! 3 PM to 11 PM is the time when the vast majority of people watch TV. From what I have seen, there is almost no video play on the "music channels" during these times.

The only place I have been able to see U2 video's is on the internet when I have searched for them. MTV is always playing "reality TV" and VH1 has become a movie and pop culture channel rather than a music channel. I saw all of U2's video's on MTV during ATYCLB and every previous album. So far this year, I have not seen a single U2 video from "BOMB" on any music channel.

ybird3k said:
If this single (sometimes...) isnt a hit its the end of HTDAAB in the USA. untill the grammys 2006. where it should get a boost, (i think they'll win album of the year)!!

If sometimes is a big hit HTDAAB will go back into the top 10 in the US! and should remain there for quite a time

Come on, lets get behind 'SYCMIOYO'!!!.
Millions of album sales depend on this single

Miracle Drug I think has the potential to be the biggest hit from HTDAAB. I think will see at least 5 songs released from HTDAAB.

beLIEve said:
I've been watching the airplay charts and Sometimes may reach the top 5 on adult top 40 this week. It's also flying up the alternative charts, and it's cracked both the mainstream and modern rock airwaves, too. I DO think we need the video, as well as an official release with a download available. Maybe the band has been through plenty with the personal issues and is more than happy with 9M in sales (for them) and counting, as they should reach 11M by year-end, and album sales may not matter compared to family matters.

Still, Paul M. is usually more savvy than this, and he should be working Interscope overtime and putting together a singles strategy that works! ABOY is done, the band played Sometimes at the grammies...I hope they do hang around after the RnR induction and play Sometimes on Leno & Letterman...whatever's been said already and then some. This album is way too good to fade out now, although this tour will be breaking records and I've already listed all the reasons why I think HTDAAB will sell 14M copies by this time next year. Paul M. needs to earn his 20% - very generous to be the "5th member"; all I've heard from him regarding this album are lot's of grandious quotes, but where is the action? It started out great and clever...but the marketing push and singles strategy seems to have disappeared after Vertigo. A small team of us Interference chart watchers could have done a much better job making Sometimes a worldwide hit and therefore keeping album sales up...I would have done it for free.

I am beginning to think U2 themselves have made a conscious effort just to get back into playing live, focusing on their families, and since they've already grossed $200M for the tour, maybe that's where they are going to put all their energy. I haven't heard Bono talking much about being the "biggest" or "best" on the planet anymore, Grammies are now a given for this band, and maybe it's best if they stick to live music now given the backlash about the i-pod thing and "selling out". Not to mention the stink raised about the ticket fiasco. In fact, the more I think and write about this, I am starting to wonder if U2 themselves are fine with the idea of fading from the front pages...their real fans already have the album and they are making money hand over fist. Who knows.

This is the bands rehearsal time, but were likely to see more promotional events once the tour starts. I don't think there was any backlash to the i-pod thing and we may even seen another I-pod or Apple promotion with U2 later this year.

I think the bands management are trying as hard as they can to push the album. HTDAAB is already on track to be U2's biggest selling album in the UK ever. In another 10 weeks, BOMB will have sold more copies in the United Kingdom than Joshua Tree did during 1987.

Outside the USA, the album sales are holding up very well so far and are actually increasing slightly.

Despite a bands best efforts as well as best efforts by the management and record label, it does not mean a great album will sell or keep on selling.

I'm a farmer, and today I spent 12 hours driving back and forth in a field in a tractor. So needless to say, I channel surf the radio all day. I heard Vertigo a lot, and Sometimes a lot too. It seems to really be picking up some speed on the radio. Funny how a song just sounds different when you hear it on the radio instead of from your own cd. The dj's all had nice things to say about it. I think it'll be a hit. Hopefully a big hit.

However, I only heard ABOY twice on the radio EVER, and not once today. That's just my personal indicator that it was a flop of a single.

I really can't see Miracle Drug doing better than Vertigo. It will be single # 3 or 4 In the states and Bomb isn't looking too crash hot at the moment if it has fallen out of the top 50. Aboy really was a mistake as second single. Bomb singles are not as radio friendly or catchy as the hits off ATYCLB so I really hope the tour and alot of promotion can keep the album from slipping completely off the charts. In regards to Australia Sometimes only peaked at #19. That was a marketing blunder. The song was being played on radio before Xmas meaning 2 months on radio before being released as a single. I believe no more than 2 weeks on radio before it's out as a single. And the video for sometimes was premiered 3 days before the single was out. Poor marketing.

STING2 said:
...that it is about where POP was in its week 15 in the USA. POP was in the #49 position, in its week 15 in the USA.

this isn't good at all and BTW i doubt that in 1997 sales were lower than in 2005...i'm more likely to think the opposite.

Anyway #50 (or worse) in just 15 weeks is very disappointing...ok, HTDAAB has sold 2.5 million copies in just 15 weeks, but you can't deny that if it continues to slide down this way it will be out of the top 200 even before reaching the 2.7 million mark: it's behaving like Pop with strong initial sales and then (sadly) a fast run out of the chart.

Dima said:
if it continues to slide down this way

Does anyone besides jick seriously believe it will continue to slide even after the RARHOF and tour commencement? No. The album's about to receive a boost. This is just a lull ...

Dima,

Pop has sold around 1.1M albums in the U.S., while HTDAAB is getting credit for 3M in U.S. sales (shipments). The album is regularly discussed as "U2's smash hit CD" here in the U.S. No matter what else happens, HTDAAB will never be compared to POP commercially or critically.

I'm sure Dr. Who or someone has statistics, but overall industry record sales in 2005 MIGHT be less than they were in 1997, given the well publicized 10-12% decline in CD sales every year for the last 4 years in the U.S. I don't know for sure about that, but selling 3M albums in the U.S. is no small feat these days (or 9M Worldwide!).

All that being said, U2 went from #20 to #50 or so in the last 2 weeks here in the U.S. It's still the fasting selling U2 album ever in the U.S. In 1 week, the album has gone from 12 to 26 in the UK. It may be out of the Top 50 there, too, in just a few weeks. I look at Green Day on a World Tour with 2 back-to-back smash hit singles and it's the same thing U2 needs and should get.

I guess I am just not ready to give up on my favorite U2 album...it's a proven fact that a hit single (airplay, not sales) in the U.S. will bounce an album up in sales. That's what needs to happen to Sometimes, and combine that with the R&R Induction & start of tour - especially 1st & 2nd leg in all big markets - will get HTDAAB back into the Top 30 here from April - June. 3rd leg, Grammy nominations and awards, and Christmas season will bring sales back up even more next fall.

Maybe I'm just not being realistic, but I still think HTDAAB will be at 4-5M in sales after next year's Grammy awards, and another 9-10M in sales for R.O.W. at that time, too. Most of the albums ahead of U2 right now won't have near the amount of support at HTDAAB over the next YEAR. Also, saw the Sometimes video (finally) tonight on VH1 during my insomnia. Let the radio campaign begin!

beLIEve

"Sometimes" is off to a brisk start....

www.radioandrecords.com

Alternative Stations: #50, 4th most added track to stations, 4th most increased plays

Active Rock Stations: Going for adds......but I don't think it will do too well on a format that caters for RAWK usually...

Rock Stations: Also going for adds in this format........"Vertigo" is still doing exceptionally well in this format, while "ABOY" is still in the top ten.......so it's going to have to wait for the other singles to die.....

Hot Adult Contemporary Stations: Already at #25, second in increased plays and third most added track to stations.........should have no problem reaching the Top Ten....

Triple A Stations: This format LOVES U2....Vertigo is the third most played recurrent track.......ABOY is currently at #6, meanwhile "SYCMIOYO" has already hit #12 with the largest increase in plays....

I think we've got a big hit on our hands......"SYCMIOYO" is destined to reach the top fifty, in my opinion.

beLIEve said:
Dima,

Pop has sold around 1.1M albums in the U.S., while HTDAAB is getting credit for 3M in U.S. sales (shipments). The album is regularly discussed as "U2's smash hit CD" here in the U.S. No matter what else happens, HTDAAB will never be compared to POP commercially or critically.

I'm sure Dr. Who or someone has statistics, but overall industry record sales in 2005 MIGHT be less than they were in 1997, given the well publicized 10-12% decline in CD sales every year for the last 4 years in the U.S. I don't know for sure about that, but selling 3M albums in the U.S. is no small feat these days (or 9M Worldwide!).

All that being said, U2 went from #20 to #50 or so in the last 2 weeks here in the U.S. It's still the fasting selling U2 album ever in the U.S. In 1 week, the album has gone from 12 to 26 in the UK. It may be out of the Top 50 there, too, in just a few weeks. I look at Green Day on a World Tour with 2 back-to-back smash hit singles and it's the same thing U2 needs and should get.

I guess I am just not ready to give up on my favorite U2 album...it's a proven fact that a hit single (airplay, not sales) in the U.S. will bounce an album up in sales. That's what needs to happen to Sometimes, and combine that with the R&R Induction & start of tour - especially 1st & 2nd leg in all big markets - will get HTDAAB back into the Top 30 here from April - June. 3rd leg, Grammy nominations and awards, and Christmas season will bring sales back up even more next fall.

Maybe I'm just not being realistic, but I still think HTDAAB will be at 4-5M in sales after next year's Grammy awards, and another 9-10M in sales for R.O.W. at that time, too. Most of the albums ahead of U2 right now won't have near the amount of support at HTDAAB over the next YEAR. Also, saw the Sometimes video (finally) tonight on VH1 during my insomnia. Let the radio campaign begin!

beLIEve

well, Pop actually has sold about 1.5-1.6 million copies in the Us aacording to soundscan..as for the comparison 1997 sales vs 2005 sales i actually think that given the constant decline in the last 4 years (after a positive trend through the 90's) a #50 in 1997 probably sold just like a #50 in 2005 so to me the problem is that after 15 weeks HTDAAB is performing just like Pop and unless sometimes becomes a hit (let's say top 50 in the hot 100: so even a minor hit but at least with some sttayin' power) i don't think there's much chance HTDAAB will behave in a different way from Pop.

As for Uk (#26 when ATYCLB was already floating in the 60's) or ROW HTDAAB is indeed performing very well so i'm only pointing out the much-under-expectation performance in the US charts: if we you're honest you should agree on the fact that being out of the top 50 in just 15 weeks is disapponting and unexpected whatever the true reasons might be (lack of promotion, lack of airplay or whatever).

As for your prediction i hope you're right but i think that HTDAAB won't sell more than 5 million copies in 2 years time starting from today on a worldwide basis: that would make 12-13 million copies and as far as i'm concerned that would mean a big success...in other words i think that at best HTDAAB will sell like ATYCLB (and, i repeat, this would be a success)

Back
Top Bottom