NHL 2014-2015 Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, it's a little early for the collapse but whatever... I'm really hoping Shannahan and Nonis seriously start cleaning house soon since I'm not seeing any other point to this season.

You hung on a lot longer than most (myself included).

At this point I just hope they make some good trades and get the prospects some legit ice time, other than that I've completely stopped caring about the Leafs.

Let's go Raptors :|

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Flyers have three of the top 19 prospects in the NHL, and all three of them are defensemen. The future looks bright to build around superstar $30 million defenseman Andrew MacDonald.

Well, I have no idea why you'd refer to them as the "top 19" prospects. Perhaps "top 20?"

And I wouldn't even agree with whatever list that was. Not that I'm familiar with any of those prospects, but I am familiar with what I would consider the top 20. Although, that totally depends upon what you're calling a prospect. I'm curious to see that list...

I'm willing to go all in on the Isles when/if the Hawks are out of it.

An Isles/Preds Stanley Cup would pull the worst ratings ever but I would watch it.

Yeah, you're right that it's still a huge market even if, as Headache put it, it's been a while since they've been "part of the NHL." Lightning/Preds is the matchup that the NHL has to be dreading.

United Center is a fucking roadhouse tonight. Seabrook beat the shit out of a guy earlier and I just saw an 8 man pile-up over a cheap shove by Carcillo. The play itself is sloppy and uninspired.

Last edited:
Craig Button is on crack if he thinks Max Domi is the best prospect in the NHL.

Also, that list is entirely non-inclusive of prospects in the NHL (generally players who are still rookie eligible are considered prospects).

I generally am comfortable with HockeysFuture rankings. They're generally incredibly conservative with how they rank things. I think the top 20 is much less negotiable in terms of party (but not order). They tend to get that right.

I don't think that the Leafs are a bubble team to begin with, that tends to imply that they are improving towards contention which never seems to happen, every time they seem to take the next step there is a regression that puts them back farther than where they started.

That being said I think they are a disaster because:

a. This has been a continual cycle of failure for the past decade- since 1967 quite honestly but I'll stay current.

b. They do not appear to have the pieces in place to contend for the cup anytime soon and we have little to no cap flexibility to make any meaningful moves, trades or upgrades.

c. If a rebuild is in order the "core" players will be very difficult to move with their large long term contracts, no-trade clauses and the above cap issues.

d. They are not losing enough to really have a chance at a high-end draft pick, we are going to end up where we always do - somewhere in around 10-15. I understand that yes, you can find good draft choices anywhere in the draft if you know what you are doing but the Leafs clearly don't and they need a real high-end top pick to really get things started again. This is something I'm not convinced they have the drafting abilities to find unless they have the obvious #1.

I mean you don't have to tell me that story twice... look at the team I'm a fan of. Practically the same thing.

That being said, the Leafs and Panthers are currently the outside wildcard teams.

I do understand your mindset though. Maybe it's time to lose hope on that team long term, but no sense in giving up on them for the season. It was kinda like when the Panthers won their division. They got off to a hot start, didn't really deserve to be in the playoffs. Nearly beat the eastern conference champion Devils in. 7 games 2 OT. Anything can happen!

With the right coach, the Flyers could make a contender with their forwards and just a decent defense. The combination of not recognizing their players' abilities and misuse of them in terms of offensive vs. defensive zone starts makes the offense look more inept than it is. As does this defense, which is, of course, a disaster.

The biggest problems are this:

1. Andrew MacDonald has the worst contract in NHL history and we're only in year one of it.
2. MacDonald.
3. MacDonald.
4. MacDonald.
5. Nicklas Grossmann has a bad contract (next year is his final year, praise God) and the team still thinks he's the model of ideal defense because he's big and slow and blocks shots, despite the fact that he gives up the most scoring chances per 60 of anyone on the team.
6. MacDonald.
7. MacDonald.
8. There are rumors that they want to extend Nick Schultz to keep him from hitting the market because the Flyers are the only team in the NHL that can't understand the basics of how this fucking works and oh god I'm having an aneurysm.
9. MacDonald.
10. MacDonald.

There is nothing more in the world that I want as a hockey fan than for Andrew MacDonald to commit a heinous crime so that the Flyers can void his contract without a cap hit.

MacDonald cost us $5 million in cap space each year from 2014-2020, plus a second and third round pick, plus the sanity of every fan who has ever heard of advanced stats. What did Bolland cost?

$5.5 million every year from 2014-2019 on a budget team, he has to play, and he forced us to trade Drew Shore for nothing. And he makes Vincent Trochek get sent down for nothing. And he's terrible.

Shootout competition might just be the most boring thing to watch in sports since ever. No goalie takes it seriously and no player takes it seriously. I'm basically watching a bunch of rich young men bask in the fact that they're so good they don't have to try. This shit shouldn't be televised it's terrible.

Back
Top Bottom