The Post-Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be purchasing the physical CD from them online.

And I'm not someone who usually tells people what to buy, but if there is one band that needs the support, it's this one. Just reading about how broke they are should be enough to convince people. I'd hate to see them not be able to do this anymore because they couldn't afford it.

:up: So true. I think they also got their equipment stolen at some point in the last few months, if I'm remembering which band it was correctly.

And I missed their Boston show, might have been my only opportunity to see them as well. :sad:

Is God Is an Astronaut a Mogwai-lite band? I've yet to hear anything by them, but I've sorta become jaded on a lot of the lesser post-rock bands, as far too many sorta blend together... Regardless, I respect you opinions enough to want to know more.

No not really, a lot of their material doesn't tend toward the darker angle that Mogwai takes (although some does), and their sound is much more a blend of electronic music and post-rock, so its less the building a wall of sound with regular instrument sounds that Mogwai features (in their actual playing, obvious they have their odd sonic experimental elements thrown in as well), but they do both have similar building bigger and bigger sounds around the repetition of themes/motives. I'm sure there's an influence, but GIAA definitely have their own sound as well, give 'em a try.

Nowhere, including allmusic, has any album reviews. :angry:

What would you guys recommend first, one of the past albums or the new one?

I listened to some clips on iTunes, they sound great I hate ALL of you! :wink:

Now tell me what is the best to look into first.

"All is Violent, All is Bright" is my favorite, haven't finished listening to the new one, but its much more subdued than their previous material.

No not really, a lot of their material doesn't tend toward the darker angle that Mogwai takes (although some does), and their sound is much more a blend of electronic music and post-rock, so its less the building a wall of sound with regular instrument sounds that Mogwai features (in their actual playing, obvious they have their odd sonic experimental elements thrown in as well), but they do both have similar building bigger and bigger sounds around the repetition of themes/motives. I'm sure there's an influence, but GIAA definitely have their own sound as well, give 'em a try.

Agreed. The electronic elements are what make their sound stand out a bit more. Also, their songs tend to be more compact, more structured as individual songs instead of long, connecting pieces of music.

Pelican did, in Rome.

:down: I hadn't heard about Pelican's stuff getting stolen.

Is God Is an Astronaut a Mogwai-lite band? I've yet to hear anything by them, but I've sorta become jaded on a lot of the lesser post-rock bands, as far too many sorta blend together... Regardless, I respect you opinions enough to want to know more.

They're pretty different from Mogwai, in my opinion. Like others have said, they use a lot more electronic elements than most of the post-rock bands I listen to. I'd say my favorite is "All is Violent, All is Bright," but "Far From Refuge" is really good as well.

I still have to listen to the whole thing in order, but I like what I've heard. Much more mellow than their previous stuff though, good to have some different tone in their catalog though.

Also, God is an Astronaut CDs apparently don't exist in Utah. I will have to order.

Anyone listened to the new This Is Your Captain Speaking yet?

It's beautiful.

Haven't heard the studio version, but I saw them play it live in full almost a fortnight ago. Great gig - Because Of Ghosts supported and were also pretty good. Seeing them then made up for completely forgetting that they were headlining a gig in mid-October. (There was also some band called Seagull supporting, but the less said about their failed attempt to marry Thom Yorke and post-rock, the better.)

Haha, I was thinking something similar. But yeah, they do have a number of tracks that could be called mellow, or ones that you may mistakenly think are mellow if you don't wait for the payoff, but all their best stuff seems to shake your ear drums loose. I'll send you a few tracks that I think you'll like, Martha.

I don't know, I mean I love being blown away from sonic booms in Mogwai's music, but their "mellow" music is beautiful, although I wouldn't have really called it mellow to begin with. "Friend of the Night" :heart:

I love Mogwai, I think listening to the odd song every now and then can be brilliant - but I couldn't listen to a whole album, like Martha said... just a bit too mellow.

If Mogwai is too "mellow", I don't know how you can listen to any music other than Dillinger Escape Plan without getting bored.

Back
Top Bottom