Springsteen VIII - 2014, tour, album, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone familiar with the three 70’s songs that were re-recorded for this?

They are all early 70s.

If I Was The Priest originates from 72 and was part of the demo session for John Hammond. Available in excellent quality.

Song For Orphans goes back to the first album. From the semi-legit Prodigal Son demo release.

Janey Needs A Shooter originates from the E Street Shuffle album and was considered for multiple albums, including a great take for Darkness.

Rather the originals were released, but I guess these new interpretations will be interesting.

They are all early 70s.

If I Was The Priest originates from 72 and was part of the demo session for John Hammond. Available in excellent quality.

Song For Orphans goes back to the first album. From the semi-legit Prodigal Son demo release.

Janey Needs A Shooter originates from the E Street Shuffle album and was considered for multiple albums, including a great take for Darkness.

Rather the originals were released, but I guess these new interpretations will be interesting.

Thanks for the info, interesting. I’ll have to listen to the originals first. Bruce must have felt that they fit thematically because this album doesn’t seem like as much of an “Odds and Sods” approach like High Hopes

Well that lead single definitely sounds like a modern Bruce Springsteen & E Street track and I can dig it. I can't believe this guy is 70. He sounds fantastic.

I'm very much looking forward to this.

I appreciate that it appears Trump sucks so fucking much, that he couldn't even inspire Bruce to record new music about him. At least the Bush administration garnered us Magic.

The album is good. You can really hear the Dylan influence on two of the early '70s tracks that were re-recorded - If I Was the Priest and Song For Orphans. Interesting that the influence still translates so clearly after nearly 50 years and a re-recording.

Yeah this isn't an all-time classic for him, but I really enjoyed listening to it. He hasn't had a dud now in quite a while.

On first listen I thought this was a solid, fairly consistent album. The band sounds great, Bruce is in fine voice, and the production is crisp as always.

Normally I cringe when he does modern versions of really old songs, but I was pleasantly surprised by the three older tracks on this. The major difference is that the old demo versions are him solo; apart from Janey Needs A Shooter getting a fantastic run-through during a Darkness rehearsal, the best known early versions are just him with a guitar and harmonica, when they were originally molding him into the "new" Dylan. Here, these are full band productions, and it really fleshes out the songs so much more.

The only thing is, they stand out so drastically from the newer tracks - lyrically they are so different - that it got me thinking how cool it would have been for him to perhaps gone through more of those early solo demos and create a whole album of them with the band. There's so many to choose from...

As for the newer songs, Ghosts and I'll See You In My Dreams stood out. Also One Minute You're Here, which sounds a bit out of place, especially at the start when this is being emphasized as an E Street album.

If I had to rate latter day albums (since 2000), it would probably go something like this:

1. The Rising
2. Wrecking Ball
3. Seeger Sessions
4. Magic
5. Western Stars
6. Letter To You
7. Devils And Dust
8. High Hopes
9. Working On A Dream

On first listen I thought this was a solid, fairly consistent album. The band sounds great, Bruce is in fine voice, and the production is crisp as always.

Normally I cringe when he does modern versions of really old songs, but I was pleasantly surprised by the three older tracks on this. The major difference is that the old demo versions are him solo; apart from Janey Needs A Shooter getting a fantastic run-through during a Darkness rehearsal, the best known early versions are just him with a guitar and harmonica, when they were originally molding him into the "new" Dylan. Here, these are full band productions, and it really fleshes out the songs so much more.

The only thing is, they stand out so drastically from the newer tracks - lyrically they are so different - that it got me thinking how cool it would have been for him to perhaps gone through more of those early solo demos and create a whole album of them with the band. There's so many to choose from...

As for the newer songs, Ghosts and I'll See You In My Dreams stood out. Also One Minute You're Here, which sounds a bit out of place, especially at the start when this is being emphasized as an E Street album.

If I had to rate latter day albums (since 2000), it would probably go something like this:

1. The Rising
2. Wrecking Ball
3. Seeger Sessions
4. Magic
5. Western Stars
6. Letter To You
7. Devils And Dust
8. High Hopes
9. Working On A Dream

It seems odd to include The Seeger Sessions and High Hopes, which are made up of covers and re-workings, but not The Promise, which probably has enough modern overdubs to qualify, and is at least unreleased material. But perhaps that's unfair, because IMO The Promise dwarfs anything he's done in the last 20 years, as it was originally recorded when him and the band were near the peak of their powers.

My RYM review of the album, in case anyone is interested:

https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Traviud/rating138346689

You've been alone for too long. Days have melted into weeks into months and now the year has nearly ended. You wonder if anything will change, or if change is even worth the risk. On your loneliest afternoon, the nostalgic sound of a hand rapping on your door jars you awake. Through the peephole, you see the haggard face of a familiar friend. The small hesitation you feel makes you feel sick inside. Opening the door, you exchange smiles and distanced pleasantries. Then their arms spread wide. They want contact, just like you, just like anyone would. You want to relive the memory of fearless, intimate contact but skeptically watch the scene unfold, out of body, unsure of how to proceed.

The last time I wrote a review on this website, the streets of America were aflame was aflame with righteous anger over systemic racism and the police brutality that stemmed from it. COVID-19 had been set to the side as we joined together to speak truth to power. Four months later, justice has not been served. Killer cops continue to patrol the streets and a killer virus has swallowed rural America whole, as well as western Europe, setting us up for what has been touted as a horrifying winter by medical experts. Additionally, America is preparing to "do battle for its soul" (ex-VP Joe Biden's words, not mine) on November 3rd, in which we will all play a game of societal Russian roulette. Who the fuck knows what will happen next? If there is anything that the 2016 election cast doubt upon, it's the inclinations of fellow Americans. Everyone can act on their worst inclinations if prompted to do so.

As for me, well...my life has been great since then. After a frightening, humbling year full of rejection, I landed a wonderful job in my field that allowed my family to move from a one bedroom apartment in MS-13 gang territory to a lovely two bedroom in Toluca Lake, CA, down the street from where Bob Hope and Miley Cyrus once lived. Everyone is white like me, my neighbors are generally in good health and possess good insurance. It's the picture of gentrification. It's the American dream. I have insulated my family from a terrible situation as best I can. Isn't that my responsibility as a man? And shouldn't I be happy?

Well, truth be told, I'm not. I am still terrified of what the future holds for my wife and daughter. I frequently look at the COVID-19 death toll and cry. I hate what has become of my country and feel a great deal of shame because of the men who represent it. And no matter what my salary or apartment looks like, I can't shake that life is dogshit and probably won't be improving any time soon.

All of this preamble is to say that, no matter rich and insulated he may be ($500 million dollars can buy a whole lot of it), I never doubt Bruce Springsteen's sincerity when he sings about sorrow, pain and existential angst. Bruce has been singing about the plight of the common man for so long that his entire career and legacy depends on it. It's his job to feel the pulse of America and, with his unique bedside manner, deliver precisely the right commentary for it.

So with Letter to You, Bruce is giving us exactly what we need, even if it's not necessary what all of us want. Some of us want another Born to Run, some another bombastic Born in the USA. Others want another Nebraska. I happen to be a huge fan of Bruce's Bob Dylan/Van Morrison-inspired early work, so when I was told that several of these songs originated in 1973, I rushed to listen to this more quickly than I ordinarily would have.

Just so no one is misled: no, this does not sound like Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.. No, it doesn't sound like The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. There is one song that delivers not only the skeleton but the muscle and tissue of a Darkness on the Edge of Town-era track, and that is Janey Needs a Shooter. It's essentially the title song from Darkness without the dynamics or angst , but it sounds so fucking right. The organ, the guitar tone, it's all there. The song itself is sturdy and enjoyable, but it's the sound that gives it such impact.

Such is the reality of new Springsteen releases in general. I was a little too young to appreciate the impact of The Rising upon release, as I was only 11 years old then, but that album was an event because it was an embrace from an old friend, an American icon, and in the end, did it really matter that Brendon O'Brien fucked up the production with loudness war bullshit and left too many tracks on there? Of course not. My personal tracklisting for that album would be about 10 tracks and 45 minutes long, but it's still a classic because of its timing.

Letter to You, for all of the hype about it being a return to Bruce's acclaimed 70s heyday with the E Street band at their rawest, is ultimately The Rising 2. Look at the descriptors for it: uplifting, sentimental, melodic, anthemic, passionate, triumphant. Duh. What else was it going to be? And no matter how far back they stripped the production by limiting overdubs, Bruce's voice in 2020 is still Bruce's voice in 2020. He's not singing about kidnapped handicaps catching the clap from mousetraps anymore. He's singing about trains, flannel shirts, lonely shirts and empty armchairs that once held your living, breathing loved ones.

We've looked at the descriptors, so now let's look at the song titles: One Minute You're Here, Letter to You, Last Man Standing (he hadn't used that one yet??), Ghosts, Song for Orphans, I'll See You in My Dreams. Do I need to comment on these? You and I both know exactly what this album is about and why Bruce felt the need to release it when he did. Curiously, perhaps thankfully, only one song explicitly gives Donald Trump the time of day: Rainmaker isn't all that interesting melodically save a great chord change towards the end of the chorus, but it's insistent rhythmically and offers a fairly sympathetic depiction of his supporters. Not a highlight, but if you've listened to Magic, you knew a track like that was going to be in here somewhere.

Song for Orphans is like one of those slow, topical tracks from The Rising that is incredibly specific in its subject matter and might not age that well (Into the Fire, Paradise, you know the ones) but hits like a truck in the short term. You bet your ass it's about refugee children at the border. It sounds like No Surrender at half speed, like much of this album. The somewhat jarringly jaunty I'll See You in My Dreams is about losing the ones you love and assuring yourself that death is not the end as a method of comfort. One Minute You're Here is - surprise, surprise - also about losing your loved ones. Let's take a moment to recognize that the album is bookended by songs that indirectly reference the astonishing death toll of the COVID-19 pandemic. Perhaps "uplifting" is a mildly misleading descriptor for this album after all.

But that gap between downtrodden lyrical content and the triumphant power of rock n' roll always been part of the Bruce Spingsteen playbook, hasn't it? It was a bone-breaking death trap, suicide rap that Bruce begged Wendy to escape. Remember those opening lyrics from Badlands?

Lights out tonight, trouble in the heartland
Got a head-on collision smashin' in my guts, man
I'm caught in a cross fire that I don't understand
But there's one thing I know for sure girl
I don't give a damn for the same old played out scenes
Baby I don't give a damn for just the in betweens
Honey, I want the heart, I want the soul, I want control right now

That situation sounds fucking desperate on paper, but when you hear him bellow those sentiments over the fucking E STREET BAND it sounds like thunder. And so it goes on Letter to You. Life is absolute hell, but thank God for Bruce Springsteen bringing his boys around for another affirmation that suffering can be alchemized into triumph.

Ghosts is probably the best example of this power at work. Expertly placed right when the album is beginning to wilt just a bit, the song serves the potent purpose that The Rising's title song did 18 years ago. A dedication to George Theiss, founding member of The Castiles, a band that gave Bruce his start in the industry, Ghosts could be inundated with sorrow. But of course you know it's not. It's fucking 21st century Bruce Springsteen. He rocks the shit out of this track, complete with a classic Bruce WUH-TUH-THREH-FUH count-off and those wondrous la-la-la-la-laaaas that gave The Rising extra juice. It's a great, great song.

I could go through every track on here and describe it to you, but ultimately my explications would boil down to what I felt when I heard it rather than what it ultimately sounded like. You know exactly what this album is going to sound like and in this particularly awful year in world history, that is what is so essential about it. Sometimes we don't need a Bruce Springsteen album as much as other times. Working on a Dream, released at the start of the Obama administration, was mostly awful, but even if it had been decently written and produced, it would't have hit like The Rising or Magic did. Letter to You is one of those Bruce albums that actually needed to be released and I'm grateful that he released it.

The reason I wrote this review, the reason I write any review these days, is because something about the album provoked me to do so on a very primal level. With all the baggage weighing me down, and presently trying to rally from a bout of stomach flu that I momentarily feared was due to SARS-CoV-2 (a recurring theme of any ailments I've felt in the past 8 months), I strapped on a mask and went for a walk with my dog while I listened to Letter to You. The entire time, I was on the verge of tears. Was it the content? Was it the music? Was it the fact that I may never get to hear these songs live because, truly, one minute we're here, and the next we're gone, including those who seem immortal?

I've been listening to Bruce's music quite frequently for comfort this year, especially the song Reason to Believe, the closer on Nebraska. The questions embedded in that song are so real, and so expertly illustrated by its characters, that I feel as if everything I've been pondering this year is right there on wax. Why do people expect anything good to come of their lives when life itself is full of pain? Why wait for change to come? Why fucking bother? Because that's just what we do. It's a horrifying and beautiful quirk in human nature that we have less control over than we think.

In a time that increasingly dilutes our humanity through fear, isolation and skepticism of our fellow man, I want to encourage everyone to reach out and embrace something. Something that makes you happy, someone you love. Maybe a pretty solid late-career Bruce Springsteen album that you know isn't his best. Be grateful for what you still have, whether it's a great deal or not much at all. Letter to You made me grateful that we still have Bruce Springsteen.

It seems odd to include The Seeger Sessions and High Hopes, which are made up of covers and re-workings, but not The Promise, which probably has enough modern overdubs to qualify, and is at least unreleased material. But perhaps that's unfair, because IMO The Promise dwarfs anything he's done in the last 20 years, as it was originally recorded when him and the band were near the peak of their powers.

The difference is The Promise is all old songs, with their foundations already in place. Yes, you've got some newer vocals and updated instrumentation in some places, but apart from one track (Save Your Love), those songs were already there in full form. And to your point, you really can't compare those to his later works; it blows them away. Same with the songs on The River box set - even though there wasn't a separate release for the two disc outtake compilation there, it's essentially the same scenario. Both of those are really archival releases.

You've been alone for too long. Days have melted into weeks into months and now the year has nearly ended. You wonder if anything will change, or if change is even worth the risk. On your loneliest afternoon, the nostalgic sound of a hand rapping on your door jars you awake. Through the peephole, you see the haggard face of a familiar friend. The small hesitation you feel makes you feel sick inside. Opening the door, you exchange smiles and distanced pleasantries. Then their arms spread wide. They want contact, just like you, just like anyone would. You want to relive the memory of fearless, intimate contact but skeptically watch the scene unfold, out of body, unsure of how to proceed.

The last time I wrote a review on this website, the streets of America were aflame was aflame with righteous anger over systemic racism and the police brutality that stemmed from it. COVID-19 had been set to the side as we joined together to speak truth to power. Four months later, justice has not been served. Killer cops continue to patrol the streets and a killer virus has swallowed rural America whole, as well as western Europe, setting us up for what has been touted as a horrifying winter by medical experts. Additionally, America is preparing to "do battle for its soul" (ex-VP Joe Biden's words, not mine) on November 3rd, in which we will all play a game of societal Russian roulette. Who the fuck knows what will happen next? If there is anything that the 2016 election cast doubt upon, it's the inclinations of fellow Americans. Everyone can act on their worst inclinations if prompted to do so.

As for me, well...my life has been great since then. After a frightening, humbling year full of rejection, I landed a wonderful job in my field that allowed my family to move from a one bedroom apartment in MS-13 gang territory to a lovely two bedroom in Toluca Lake, CA, down the street from where Bob Hope and Miley Cyrus once lived. Everyone is white like me, my neighbors are generally in good health and possess good insurance. It's the picture of gentrification. It's the American dream. I have insulated my family from a terrible situation as best I can. Isn't that my responsibility as a man? And shouldn't I be happy?

Well, truth be told, I'm not. I am still terrified of what the future holds for my wife and daughter. I frequently look at the COVID-19 death toll and cry. I hate what has become of my country and feel a great deal of shame because of the men who represent it. And no matter what my salary or apartment looks like, I can't shake that life is dogshit and probably won't be improving any time soon.

All of this preamble is to say that, no matter rich and insulated he may be ($500 million dollars can buy a whole lot of it), I never doubt Bruce Springsteen's sincerity when he sings about sorrow, pain and existential angst. Bruce has been singing about the plight of the common man for so long that his entire career and legacy depends on it. It's his job to feel the pulse of America and, with his unique bedside manner, deliver precisely the right commentary for it.

So with Letter to You, Bruce is giving us exactly what we need, even if it's not necessary what all of us want. Some of us want another Born to Run, some another bombastic Born in the USA. Others want another Nebraska. I happen to be a huge fan of Bruce's Bob Dylan/Van Morrison-inspired early work, so when I was told that several of these songs originated in 1973, I rushed to listen to this more quickly than I ordinarily would have.

Just so no one is misled: no, this does not sound like Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.. No, it doesn't sound like The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. There is one song that delivers not only the skeleton but the muscle and tissue of a Darkness on the Edge of Town-era track, and that is Janey Needs a Shooter. It's essentially the title song from Darkness without the dynamics or angst , but it sounds so fucking right. The organ, the guitar tone, it's all there. The song itself is sturdy and enjoyable, but it's the sound that gives it such impact.

Such is the reality of new Springsteen releases in general. I was a little too young to appreciate the impact of The Rising upon release, as I was only 11 years old then, but that album was an event because it was an embrace from an old friend, an American icon, and in the end, did it really matter that Brendon O'Brien fucked up the production with loudness war bullshit and left too many tracks on there? Of course not. My personal tracklisting for that album would be about 10 tracks and 45 minutes long, but it's still a classic because of its timing.

Letter to You, for all of the hype about it being a return to Bruce's acclaimed 70s heyday with the E Street band at their rawest, is ultimately The Rising 2. Look at the descriptors for it: uplifting, sentimental, melodic, anthemic, passionate, triumphant. Duh. What else was it going to be? And no matter how far back they stripped the production by limiting overdubs, Bruce's voice in 2020 is still Bruce's voice in 2020. He's not singing about kidnapped handicaps catching the clap from mousetraps anymore. He's singing about trains, flannel shirts, lonely shirts and empty armchairs that once held your living, breathing loved ones.

We've looked at the descriptors, so now let's look at the song titles: One Minute You're Here, Letter to You, Last Man Standing (he hadn't used that one yet??), Ghosts, Song for Orphans, I'll See You in My Dreams. Do I need to comment on these? You and I both know exactly what this album is about and why Bruce felt the need to release it when he did. Curiously, perhaps thankfully, only one song explicitly gives Donald Trump the time of day: Rainmaker isn't all that interesting melodically save a great chord change towards the end of the chorus, but it's insistent rhythmically and offers a fairly sympathetic depiction of his supporters. Not a highlight, but if you've listened to Magic, you knew a track like that was going to be in here somewhere.

Song for Orphans is like one of those slow, topical tracks from The Rising that is incredibly specific in its subject matter and might not age that well (Into the Fire, Paradise, you know the ones) but hits like a truck in the short term. You bet your ass it's about refugee children at the border. It sounds like No Surrender at half speed, like much of this album. The somewhat jarringly jaunty I'll See You in My Dreams is about losing the ones you love and assuring yourself that death is not the end as a method of comfort. One Minute You're Here is - surprise, surprise - also about losing your loved ones. Let's take a moment to recognize that the album is bookended by songs that indirectly reference the astonishing death toll of the COVID-19 pandemic. Perhaps "uplifting" is a mildly misleading descriptor for this album after all.

But that gap between downtrodden lyrical content and the triumphant power of rock n' roll always been part of the Bruce Spingsteen playbook, hasn't it? It was a bone-breaking death trap, suicide rap that Bruce begged Wendy to escape. Remember those opening lyrics from Badlands?

That situation sounds fucking desperate on paper, but when you hear him bellow those sentiments over the fucking E STREET BAND it sounds like thunder. And so it goes on Letter to You. Life is absolute hell, but thank God for Bruce Springsteen bringing his boys around for another affirmation that suffering can be alchemized into triumph.

Ghosts is probably the best example of this power at work. Expertly placed right when the album is beginning to wilt just a bit, the song serves the potent purpose that The Rising's title song did 18 years ago. A dedication to George Theiss, founding member of The Castiles, a band that gave Bruce his start in the industry, Ghosts could be inundated with sorrow. But of course you know it's not. It's fucking 21st century Bruce Springsteen. He rocks the shit out of this track, complete with a classic Bruce WUH-TUH-THREH-FUH count-off and those wondrous la-la-la-la-laaaas that gave The Rising extra juice. It's a great, great song.

I could go through every track on here and describe it to you, but ultimately my explications would boil down to what I felt when I heard it rather than what it ultimately sounded like. You know exactly what this album is going to sound like and in this particularly awful year in world history, that is what is so essential about it. Sometimes we don't need a Bruce Springsteen album as much as other times. Working on a Dream, released at the start of the Obama administration, was mostly awful, but even if it had been decently written and produced, it would't have hit like The Rising or Magic did. Letter to You is one of those Bruce albums that actually needed to be released and I'm grateful that he released it.

The reason I wrote this review, the reason I write any review these days, is because something about the album provoked me to do so on a very primal level. With all the baggage weighing me down, and presently trying to rally from a bout of stomach flu that I momentarily feared was due to SARS-CoV-2 (a recurring theme of any ailments I've felt in the past 8 months), I strapped on a mask and went for a walk with my dog while I listened to Letter to You. The entire time, I was on the verge of tears. Was it the content? Was it the music? Was it the fact that I may never get to hear these songs live because, truly, one minute we're here, and the next we're gone, including those who seem immortal?

I've been listening to Bruce's music quite frequently for comfort this year, especially the song Reason to Believe, the closer on Nebraska. The questions embedded in that song are so real, and so expertly illustrated by its characters, that I feel as if everything I've been pondering this year is right there on wax. Why do people expect anything good to come of their lives when life itself is full of pain? Why wait for change to come? Why fucking bother? Because that's just what we do. It's a horrifying and beautiful quirk in human nature that we have less control over than we think.

In a time that increasingly dilutes our humanity through fear, isolation and skepticism of our fellow man, I want to encourage everyone to reach out and embrace something. Something that makes you happy, someone you love. Maybe a pretty solid late-career Bruce Springsteen album that you know isn't his best. Be grateful for what you still have, whether it's a great deal or not much at all. Letter to You made me grateful that we still have Bruce Springsteen.

An immense read. Tell me why you aren't a professional music critic again...

Thanks for sharing.

The difference is The Promise is all old songs, with their foundations already in place. Yes, you've got some newer vocals and updated instrumentation in some places, but apart from one track (Save Your Love), those songs were already there in full form. And to your point, you really can't compare those to his later works; it blows them away. Same with the songs on The River box set - even though there wasn't a separate release for the two disc outtake compilation there, it's essentially the same scenario. Both of those are really archival releases.

I don’t disagree. But I still don’t see why The Seeger Sessions should be ranked; not a single song is his.

Normally I would pay no mind to a covers album. I really only included it here because it’s so well done.

On another note, I found it interesting that he’s had eight albums (nine with Seeger Sessions) since 2000 and U2 has only managed five. This coming from someone who was not known for churning out records quickly when he was younger.

Thank you for this very personal essay on the power of Bruce and his music, and a nice dissection of the new album. But I actually do wish you would have talked about more of the individual tracks!

Now I'm going to make a bold proclamation here, but keep in mind it's a very hot take and subject to the hyperbole of first blush:

I think this is Bruce's best album since Tunnel of Love.

Phanan ranked the "latter day" post-2000 Bruce albums but since the 90s were pretty weak in terms of his career, it's not much more of a stretch to take it back another 10 years.

One could describe this as having a bit too much mid-tempo, and lacking the sonic/stylistic variety of The Rising, but as far as this being some kind of loose sequel to that album in terms of impact, I greatly prefer the sound of Letter To You. I think the production is far better and more immediate, and we don't have the overuse (or use at all, as far as I can hear) of Soozie Tyrell's fiddle, which unfortunately dominated the earlier album. The only song on The Rising that gives you the real old-school E-Street vibes is Mary's Place, and I like that on this album there's a heavier dose of Roy Bittan's beautiful piano playing, and more saxophone by Jake Clemons than I expected. There's also a couple very memorable guitar solos by Little Steven.

I'm not sure why Bruce was so afraid in the last 20 years of having too much material sound like classic E-Street, because otherwise the music and the band comes off rather generic at times. If you've got a pianist, an organist, a sax player...why not use them?

It's too early to tell, but maybe this album doesn't quite have the peaks of My City of Ruins or You're Missing. But even if you whittled down The Rising to a more digestible length, as El Mel has previously suggested, I think Letter To You would still be more consistent overall. The Rising goes down easier and has more catchy tracks, I suppose, but those songs don't quite have the staying power; Waitin' On A Sunny Day is fine, but why wouldn't I just listen to Hungry Heart, for example. I think these new songs have more weight, more complexity, and as far as the personal nature of these lyrics are concerned, with the focus on mortality, what this reminds me of a lot thematically is Dylan's Time Out Of Mind. If there's any justice and possibility of rock veterans ever winning this award again, Bruce should get the Grammy for Album Of The Year just like his hero did for his late-career masterpiece.

One caveat here is that the resuscitated early 70s tracks really are the best ones on the album. But to be fair, Ghosts, the closer I'll See You In My Dreams, and even Last Man Standing aren't that far behind.

So yeah, I'm pretty high on this right now. We'll see how it holds up after repeat listens. And I really recommend anyone who has access to AppleTV+ to check out the documentary on the album; it's really, really good and gave me a lot of appreciation for what Bruce & Co. did here. There's a scene where they're cutting back and forth between the recording of I'll See You In My Dreams and the playback of it, with Bruce's longtime manager Jon Landau listening to the newly-recorded track. He's clearly choked up by something, either the song's theme or performance or both, and he makes a comment about it being magnificent before shuffling out of the studio. That this man who has been with Bruce for almost his whole career can still be bowled over by new material is a testament to its weight and quality and the connection between these people.

Can't wait to hear it again.

1. The Rising
2. Wrecking Ball
3. Seeger Sessions
4. Magic
5. Western Stars
6. Letter To You
7. Devils And Dust
8. High Hopes
9. Working On A Dream

Removing Seeger Sessions so as not to offend laz's delicate sensibilities

1. The Rising
2. Wrecking Ball
3. Magic
4. Western Stars
6. Devils And Dust
7. Letter To You
8. Working On A Dream
9. High Hopes

I'd probably lift Letter up a spot if we were to eliminate Power of Prayer and House of A Thousand Guitars.

The highs here are very high, but through the first weekend of listening it doesn't come remotely close to touching the first three post 2000 albums. There's not even something here that immediately takes me in like Hello Sunshine did on Western Stars.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy having Bruce back and I think some of these songs would play better live, but aside from Janey nothing really blows me away.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I agree Headache that Power of Prayer and House of 1000 Guitars are the weaker tracks and if one were streamlining the album they could be dropped with no big loss. They're not bad songs or offensive but don't jump out. Maybe bumping up Ghosts or I Was The Priest and putting it between those two would help, I don't know.

I liked Western Stars a lot, it's an interesting experiment or detour. But there's not a single song on there that reaches the heights of the "old" tracks on Letter To You, IMO.

I just listened to Magic again this morning after not having heard it for ages due to my CD going missing. It's a very solid album and I can see why Consequence of Sound (I think that's who it was) ranked it the highest of all his post-1980s work. Livin' in the Future is about as close as Bruce has got to the classic E-Street sound as he ever did again, and there's just a lot of pop greatness on there. But just as with the new one, there are a few anonymous/generic tracks that could be dropped, like Gypsy Biker, I'll Work For Your Love, Last To Die. It's more consistent than The Rising but doesn't hit as hard thematically and emotionally. But Magic does seem like more of an E-Street album than The Rising, so a bit of a toss-up for me.

Wrecking Ball is one that I honestly haven't spent a lot of time with despite liking it when it came out, so I'll give that another spin today.

I will say that the relative consistency and prolificness from 2000-onward is very impressive, especially compared to U2. But while the latter artist has made some head-slapping blunders of taste and marketing, I will say that the albums themselves tend to be a lot less homogenous than Bruce's; that is to say that on each of the last 5 studio albums, each song carves its own lyrical and sonic identity, even the ones I strongly dislike. So the Bruce albums usually tend to overstay their welcome or contain redundant/indistinct songs that wind up being forgettable, whereas with U2 it's more likely there will be a song that I'll remove from my custom tracklisting because it bothers me so much, but it never feels like they're going through the motions.

Ultimately, the result winds up being the same in the sense that they could both use a stronger editorial instinct. Bruce plays it safer to an extend and thereby avoids the ridicule and contempt that will flare up with U2.

It's just a lot of fun to go hard into Bruce's discography again because I don't do it too often.

Last edited:
Bit late here but I just listened to the title track. Joy. Unbridled joy. This man, this band, these guys, these brothers are very special. Need to get the album ASAP.

And yes Magic is up there, right up there, in the highest echelon, with anything before it. I love that album.

Last edited:
Waiting for El Mel to pop back in here again...

Also, I listened to Workin' on a Dream yesterday. This seems to be the scapegoat for the last couple decades, and it's not hard to see why. While I find it pleasant overall, it's definitely not on the level of the two E-Street reunion albums that preceded it, nor is it as good as Bruce's two most recent.

Just not enough highlights, and Queen of the Supermarket...oof.

I always felt that Working on a Dream was just something that they pushed out as an excuse to tour as they knew that Clarence likely wasn't going to be able to perform for much longer.

Obviously I don't think they thought he would pass - but I'd you listen to that last show in Buffalo you can kind of hear how they felt it was the end of something.

So, bit of a funny story here: I've been listening to almost the entire Bruce catalog this week, and on a whim decided to search on eBay for that Super Deluxe set for The River from a few years back called The Ties That Bind. I had bought a used copy of the remastered album at Amoeba a year or so ago but it was pretty cheap so I wasn't too reluctant to double-dip.

Someone was selling the set for cheap but without the hardcover book, then another person was selling the book separately, I was waffling on both. But then someone had the full set for auction, which was ending a week later so I decided to wait and try my luck. Oddly enough, it stayed under $20 until the last day, and right before the auction ended at like 1am I threw down a max bid of $34 and won it. Also the listing was Free Shipping so I figure got a really good deal here.

The next morning I get a message from the seller saying that he made a mistake with the item description: apparently he had claimed it included 3 Blu-rays but there are actually only 2 in the set. I didn't even notice this but had already checked the specs to make sure everything was there. There's also a little paperback "composition book" containing Bruce's handwritten lyrics that was supposed to be in the set but is missing. Because of these inaccuracies, he said he's refunding my money and just sending it out to me for no charge??

As far as I can tell, all the audio and video discs are accounted for, so this lyrics book is literally the only thing not there, and it's honestly not something I care much about. I'm really looking forward to watching the documentary about the album, and checking out the outtakes disc, and the live show, which from what I've heard was heavily edited down for some inexplicable reason.

SCORE!

Back
Top Bottom