Random Music Talk CXXXI: Interference Finally Gets Its Revenge on Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have tickets for Pavement in May and Bon Iver in August. You've got me psyched for both, Cobbz.

Have you checked out the new DJ Koze track yet?

It's interesting with Bon, I had gone off them quite a bit with i,i, sort of felt like I just lost interest, the increasingly stupid song titles playing a part in that. He hadn't played in Melbourne in 11 years. And last night it all just came flooding back. I was crying for a lot of the night. The reason I loved it so much had as much to do with my own mental health, my inner voices like my anxiety and my punitive critic, last night as the first few songs were playing it just felt like this stronger, powerful version of myself came rushing back in to let me know that I'm ok, and it was just so emotional and healing, after a long period of struggle. It really did feel spiritual.

The show itself was phenomenal, and it was really nice to be reminded of my love for their music after so long. It's so funny, Justin just looks like a truck driver, he's a touch meaty, he's going bald, and he just rolls out on stage in a headband and headphones and stands in front of whatever the fuck his incredible setup is and creates the most remarkable sounds. Band was incredible. I really enjoyed all the i,i songs, they played a super joyous cover of a Big Red Machine song, Re Stacks destroyed me and everything after that just felt like a victory lap. Gordi, the opener, was magic as well, I went somewhere during her set.

And no, I haven't, and can't find it?

I haven't listened to Bon Iver much over the last several years either, they were announced for a concert series this week that I already had a season pass to. Look forward to the show

I've been listening to the DJ Koze track on Spotify, but I found it on Youtube as well:

Another thing I'm super grateful to Pavement for is introducing me to this beautiful song Witchi Tia To (also called Witchi Tai To and Witchitai-to) by Jim Pepper. (Oh sorry, upon further research, it appears to be a Peyote song.) Appears he was a Native American jazz artist, played sax and sang. They closed with it.

There's two versions I've found, the first I found online (a bit hard to find!) this version, which appears to be from an album of his from 1988 called The Path, it's fucking gorgeous, I absolutely adore it.

There's also this longer and rockier version from his 1971 debut album called Peppers Wow Wow, which I assume is the one people know better and which Pavement covered. It's as good. Very uplifting and also beautiful.

"Water spirit feelin' springin' round my head / Makes me feel glad that I'm not dead

If anyone knows more, please share!

Saw Camp Cope's final ever gig last night. It was pretty special to see so many women losing their fucking minds screaming the lyrics to The Opener. They've made a big impact :heart:

New Depeche Mode album is out. And it’s great.

Forgot to post my thoughts about the lead single, Ghosts Again, but in my opinion it’s their strongest since “Precious”. Love it.

Gee Pitchfork Music Festival is exceptional value for the lineup. We pay so much more for three-day festivals here that don't have a lineup a quarter as good.

So two upcoming releases that I haven't seen mentioned (unsurprising since this place is so slow nowadays) but that would probably be of interest:

Boygenius - after their three solos albums - are finally putting an LP out together called "The Record". It drops tomorrow. Four tracks have been available on streaming for awhile, and they're pretty good. Honestly, I liked Phoebe's album, but I wasn't that excited by Julien or Lucy's, but I do like these tracks, so I'm hopeful.

Leslie Feist - so nobody talks about her much anymore, but she was pretty popular around here during B&C's heydey 15+ years ago. She's a putting a new record, "Multitudes" out in a couple weeks. Four tracks are already available, and they're really good imo. Two of them are pretty sparse, acoustic type tracks, and the other are sort of indie-rock type tracks. I'm familiar with her stuff from the 00s, and really haven't listened to anything of hers from the last ten years, but I really enjoyed these four tracks and am looking forward to the full record.

I'm looking forward to hearing Boygenius, as well as the JPEGMAFIA x Danny Brown record.

I'm listening to Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own this morning. What a beautiful song. I have so much love and nostalgia for this song and record. (It was also featured in an episode of The OC... the coolest U2 have ever been in my lifetime.)

as well as the JPEGMAFIA x Danny Brown record.

I really enjoyed it. It's totally manic as you might expect from anything Danny is involved in.

I just finished the boygenius record. I find it interesting that so many reviews are saying that the three of them augment each other, because to me it sounded very much like three solo EPs stitched together. Baker takes some chances, but the Dacus and Bridgers songs are immediately obvious as session leftovers from their last solo records. The harmonies are lovely, but otherwise I'm not sure the collaboration suits them, because hearing their work in close conjunction makes the close similarities in the stuff they write about glaring. It has the effect of sanding down their personalities.

Kurt Cobain died 30 years ago. I am officially old because I remember that day clearly.

It's a weird thing. I was really into Nirvana at the time so I was upset. Since then, Foo Fighters have become one of my favorite bands ever, love them way more than Nirvana, and they never would have come about if Kurt hand't died.

Kurt Cobain died 30 years ago. I am officially old because I remember that day clearly.

It's a weird thing. I was really into Nirvana at the time so I was upset. Since then, Foo Fighters have become one of my favorite bands ever, love them way more than Nirvana, and they never would have come about if Kurt hadn't died.

Something tells me Foos would have eventually come to be. Don't think Cobain would have kept Nirvana going for the long haul had Courtney not killed him.
Crazy it's been 30 years. I saw Pearl Jam for the first time a few nights later (then the 2nd and 3rd times on the succeeding 2 nights).
Wow time flies.

Something tells me Foos would have eventually come to be. Don't think Cobain would have kept Nirvana going for the long haul had Courtney not killed him.
Crazy it's been 30 years. I saw Pearl Jam for the first time a few nights later (then the 2nd and 3rd times on the succeeding 2 nights).
Wow time flies.

Yeah I had read something not long ago that talked about Grohl starting to gain Kurt's attention with some of the songs he wrote, and so true. Kurt wanted out of the spotlight so badly that it may have happened anyway.

The new Feist album is a delight, might be my favorite of hers since Let It Die. Looking forward to listening to it a lot.

Borrow Trouble, in particular, is fantastic.

Huge fan of the Foo Fighters here and I'm so glad to see that they announced a new album today. I really thought they were done after Taylor's death.

Yeah, the new Foo’s song is pretty good. It kind of reminds me of early FF.

I also like the new Metallica album.

So it sounds pre-Taylor?

Man, his death hit me the hardest since Bowie. Wish they’d release footage of the LA tribute show. From what I read the two shows are comparable to U2’s Slane Castle shows after Bono’s dad passed, the first a wake and the second a celebration.

Yeah, the new Foo’s song is pretty good. It kind of reminds me of early FF.

I also like the new Metallica album.
Agreed on the new Metallica album. Probably half an hour too long, but still the most enjoyable thing they have done in quite a while.

For me We Cater to Cowards by Oozing Wound still the metal album to beat in 2023 though.
And I think I also slightly prefer Liturgy's 93696 over 72 Seasons.

Agreed on the new Metallica album. Probably half an hour too long, but still the most enjoyable thing they have done in quite a while.

For me We Cater to Cowards by Oozing Wound still the metal album to beat in 2023 though.
And I think I also slightly prefer Liturgy's 93696 over 72 Seasons.

Thanks, I'll have to check those out!

Also, Biffy Clyro's front man is releasing a metal album with their touring guitarist under than band name Empire State Bastard. First single didn't disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom