Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 10:44 PM   #701
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:27 PM
I'm confused, they already have two guitarists, plus Eddie, and they needed another? Why?

I also didn't realize they've had their own Terry Lawless for years, some guy named Boom Gaspar.

I can understand U2 needing the extra help, but when your band already has 5 members it's crazy to me that you'd need 7 on stage to cover keyboards (which at least 2 people in PJ can play) and more guitar.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:56 AM   #702
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Klinghoffer not just playing guitar apparently with them.
He's doing some additional keyboards (different from Boom's Hammond B3), some other percussion and backing vocals.
Some of the songs from Gigaton required some of the added instrumentation live.
Josh's band Pluralone was slated to be the opening act for Pearl Jam in 2020 before the tour got scrapped, and he played with EdVed at that Vax Live concert in LA, so I think he's become close with Ed, and when that happens, sometimes you get to become a touring member.
That's what happened with Boom, Ed was introduced to him in Hawaii while on vacation, they hit it off began playing some music and volia (wallah for some of us) he's on the road with Pearl Jam for 20 years:

https://ultimatepearljam.com/boom-gaspar-pearl-jam/

And, they have played 4 festival shows with him...he's not exactly "in Pearl Jam" at this point.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #703
Blue Crack Supplier

Still seems unnecessary. It’s not like they need to reproduce some intricate arrangements, either.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #704
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm failing to see the issue here, mostly because I'm unfamiliar with the name, is this person somehow distasteful or something? Adding a member to a band, rather than replacing, isn't usually a bad thing.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:41 PM   #705
Blue Crack Addict

He replaced was a touring member with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and subsequently replaced and then was replaced by John Frusciante as guitarist for them. Other than that I think he’s pretty much just a technically talented journeyman.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #706
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh right, I remember him.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:31 PM   #707
45:33

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Very interesting read - Pitchfork Reviews: Rescored

I wholeheartedly agree with the Big Boi and Random Access Memories rescores. I adored that Big Boi record and I recall saying in here that it was as good as MBDTF (and Shouter backing me up). But with the benefit of time and hindsight, it's not even in the same league. RAM has about six fucking great songs and the rest are trash, and the marketing of it irks me. The Interpol change is a bit harsh though.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #708
ONE
love, blood, life

LCD just announced like 15 shows in Nov/Dec at my neighborhood venue.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:41 PM   #709
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

I wholeheartedly agree with the Big Boi and Random Access Memories rescores. I adored that Big Boi record and I recall saying in here that it was as good as MBDTF (and Shouter backing me up). But with the benefit of time and hindsight, it's not even in the same league. RAM has about six fucking great songs and the rest are trash, and the marketing of it irks me. The Interpol change is a bit harsh though.
Wholeheartedly cosign Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea and Moth reclamation.

Turn on the Bright Lights will always be at least a 9.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:50 PM   #710

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
LCD just announced like 15 shows in Nov/Dec at my neighborhood venue.
I'm incredibly jealous. I'm excited to see what songs they play and if they do any new ones.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #711
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Was shocking that they went after Interpol, which I thought was an untouchable early 2000s cornerstone. Personally, I never cared for the Joy Division vibes.

Somehow most of these "rescore" capsules are almost as insufferable as the original reviews. The Liz Phair turnaround "selling out with trendy producers is now commonplace, she's a pioneer!" is a bunch of bullshit. That album might not be a 0.0, but it's still garbage and not worthy of more than a 5.0, even if you're being kind. The gulf between the brilliance of Whitechocolatespaceegg and its follow-up needs to be acknowledged in the score.

I guess they weren't interested in revisiting their No Line on the Horizon 4.2 rating, which was obnoxious, as was their cheap dunking review.

Random Access Memories is still a fantastic work of art, regardless of it not being as lean and mean as Discovery. I posted an article not too long ago (after the Daft Punk breakup) from Rolling Stone about the making of that record and I have even more respect for it and those guys now. Calling the rest of it "trash" is pretty disingenuous.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:56 PM   #712
ONE
love, blood, life

Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Wholeheartedly cosign Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea and Moth reclamation.

Turn on the Bright Lights will always be at least a 9.

Totally agree on Stories From the City.

I loved that they came around on Sky Blue Sky, an album that was dismissed too easily as dad rock and which, with hindsight, turned out to be the sound of Jeff healing.

Room on Fire is a masterpiece and I like that they finally recognize it as such.

Some of those are a bit random though. Revising something from 7.2 to 8.1 or whatever is not particularly vital.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:04 PM   #713

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Was shocking that they went after Interpol, which I thought was an untouchable early 2000s cornerstone. Personally, I never cared for the Joy Division vibes.

Somehow most of these "rescore" capsules are almost as insufferable as the original reviews. The Liz Phair turnaround "selling out with trendy producers is now commonplace, she's a pioneer!" is a bunch of bullshit. That album might not be a 0.0, but it's still garbage and not worthy of more than a 5.0, even if you're being kind. The gulf between the brilliance of Whitechocolatespaceegg and its follow-up needs to be acknowledged in the score.

I guess they weren't interested in revisiting their No Line on the Horizon 4.2 rating, which was obnoxious, as was their cheap dunking review.

Random Access Memories is still a fantastic work of art, regardless of it not being as lean and mean as Discovery. I posted an article not too long ago (after the Daft Punk breakup) from Rolling Stone about the making of that record and I have even more respect for it and those guys now. Calling the rest of it "trash" is pretty disingenuous.
I think Interpol (and Foxygen too, not that I listened to that record more than once) both suffer from the culture change we've talked about before. White dudes making music that borrows heavily from a previous sound. It's not so groundbreaking now. But I would totally have it at least a 9.

Not sure moving a U2 album no one cares about from a 4.2 to a 6.8 (I'd have it at like 7.0) is that worthy of a read.

I'm surprised that's your take on RAM. There's a great EP on there - Get Lucky, Lose Yourself to Dance, Doin it Right, Contact, maybe Giorgio by Moroder and Instant Crush too if I'm feeling generous. But it's 75 minutes long and half of it is the same slow, boring yacht rock sound. It sounds nice, cos of the people involved, but I find it pretentious. "Give Life Back to Music". Please.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:13 PM   #714
ONE
love, blood, life

Also, that Miss Anthropocene wasn’t an 8.2 was clear from day one.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #715
More 5G Than Man

I'm not a big Random Access Memories guy either. It's bloated and relies too heavily on features to maintain the personality that Discovery had. And I don't think even one song comes close to Digital Love, my favorite track by them.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:52 PM   #716
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Thanks cobbz. I did end up going. Some bad vibes for a while, but then it got OK. Glad to get that one off my back though.
I'm glad to see that you went. I'm sure it was hard but I hope you got to enjoy the show a little.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:08 PM   #717
Blue Crack Distributor

You all are giving Pitchfork what they want. Look at the seeds of discontent they have sowed!

But seriously, idc how much time has passed, silly to revise scores. Save it for reissues. Also I do love RAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
I'm glad to see that you went. I'm sure it was hard but I hope you got to enjoy the show a little.
Thank you. I did! He somehow didn't play any of my favorite songs, and yet I had an amazing time. That level of club music with a goth crowd is a STRANGE mix, to say the least.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:50 PM   #718

Interested to hear your thoughts on the Prince change, Laz
Old 10-05-2021, 11:55 PM   #719
Blue Crack Addict

Nice. Room on Fire is the best Strokes album and one of the best of its decade. Good to see the rising grade.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #720
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Quote:
The Interpol change is a bit harsh though.
My only reaction to this list is I would listen to Turn on the Bright Lights 1000 times out of 1000 over anything The Strokes have ever done.

Closed Thread