Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this on Twitter

View attachment 12891

U2 and Bowie?

U2 Bowie, because Floyd were way past their prime by then. Not interested in anyone else really, Eddie Murphy aside.

Even with the shitty Never Let Me Down songs this setlist is full of gems:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-bowie/1987/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-53d0eb85.html

Fuck this just made me so sad :sad:

Sons of the Silent Age!!

And man, that encore would be fucking killer.

I saw several of those shows in 87 (not at MSG, but at venues in New England)

Saw:

Ratt/Poison (which for some reason nobody thought to name the Rat poison tour or similar)
Bon Jovi
Billy Idol/The Cult
Motley Crue/Whitesnake

My condolences.

I did see Def Leppard on the Hysteria tour. :D

Saw:

Ratt/Poison (which for some reason nobody thought to name the Rat poison tour or similar)
Huey Lewis
Bon Jovi
Billy Idol/The Cult
Motley Crue/Whitesnake
Bowie
U2 (3 shows)

Actually need to add a couple. Looking at the list I also saw Tom Petty and Eddie Murphy in 87.

Also should tip my hat because there are a number of other great shows at MSG that year. Paul Simon touring Graceland, Eddie Murphy at his peak, Petty, and while I'm not into them, Yes and Rush probably put on great performances.

And you have to be impressed that Grateful Dead was still doing 4-night stands at a venue that large.
Ok, wait, if Simon was touring Graceland, that's a no-brainer for me. I thought it would've been a different album.

Saw:

Huey Lewis

Bon Jovi

Billy Idol/The Cult

Motley Crue/Whitesnake

Bowie

U2 (3 shows)
I was extremely curious about that Billy Idol/Cult show. Do you remember much about it? That sounds like a damn good time.

U2 and Floyd for me.

I think you guys are underselling Floyd. I disagree with calling it a "bastardized" version of the band just because Waters wasn't there; it was the same three guys outside of him. Gilmour hadn't lost a thing in terms of his playing ability and the stage show was pretty epic, judging by the DVD/YT videos.

You'd still be getting a handful of all-time classics:

One Of These Days
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Wish You Were Here
Time
Us And Them
Money
Comfortably Numb
Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2

And imo there are at least two AMLOR songs that are worth the price of entry in Learning To Fly and On The Turning Away, the latter especially.

On the other hand, that Bowie setlist does little for me. Heroes is the only song from any of the Berlin albums, and not a thing from Hunky Dory or Ziggy. Although he did Big Brother on the second night - I love that song, that would've been cool.

JMO.

Last edited:
I was extremely curious about that Billy Idol/Cult show. Do you remember much about it? That sounds like a damn good time.
Was a good show. Don't recall lots of specifics, but I do recall coming out pleased as it was my first time seeing Idol and somebody had told me he wasn't very good live, thankfully that person was quite wrong.

Always been a fan of Billy, seen him 5 times and he's always good.
The Cult was probably at the height of their popularity at that time, and they were good as well.

^ Heroes was not the only song from the Berlin albums played that night. Sons of the Silent Age would have been one of the big highlights for me!

The Pink Floyd setlist from MSG was decent, but I don't know about 11 tracks from AMLOR...

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pink-floyd/1987/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-63d76acb.html

Definitely comes to life in the second half. The first half looks like a trudge. Still, I'm sure it was great if you were there.

Yeah, playing that whole album, minus One Slip, devalues it a bit for me (and One Slip is one of the better songs on the album!). The Division Bell was far superior and the stage show as depicted in Pulse was incredible.

And not for nothing, but Wright had virtually no input with AMLOR. Another reason why The Division Bell more closely resembles the Floyd of old.

I saw that on twitter yesterday and definitely settled on Bowie and U2 as my two picks.

Depeche Mode and the Cure would have been my third and fourth choices.

I need to see the latter two bands live before they hang it up. Have only become a big fan of both in the last few years and, even though they're old as shit, it'd be nice to see them.

Was a good show. Don't recall lots of specifics, but I do recall coming out pleased as it was my first time seeing Idol and somebody had told me he wasn't very good live, thankfully that person was quite wrong.

Always been a fan of Billy, seen him 5 times and he's always good.
The Cult was probably at the height of their popularity at that time, and they were good as well.

Oh that's very strange, I've always heard Idol is good live. I've been wanting to see him now for a minute. I've suddenly got very into his music over the last few years, after growing up not caring for it much.

I’m getting this album via a record club subscription and couldn’t be more excited.

I like the new Lucy Dacus. No new ground or anything like that (though she uses vocoder in one of the tracks, which, eh), but a captivating record particularly due to its nice songwriting. Triple Dog Dare is a really great song, kind of analogous to her friend Phoebe Bridger's I Know The End.

Last edited:
Oh that's very strange, I've always heard Idol is good live. I've been wanting to see him now for a minute. I've suddenly got very into his music over the last few years, after growing up not caring for it much.

Yeah I don't know where this guy had heard he wasn't good, but it was definitely bad intel.
Puts on a good show, and Steve Stevens is great (even if he does look like an old woman now).
If you get the chance to see him you won't be disappointed.

Most recently saw him January 2015:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/billy-idol/2015/orpheum-theatre-boston-ma-23cac43f.html

I may have relayed this story at the time but once again...
My brother won front row tix from radio and asked me to go instead of his wife (didn't think she'd be much into the show). During Blue Highway he comes out with one of the shirts the were selling on, and you can see its autographed in silver sharpie on the left breast area, the guy next to me says" someone's getting that shirt".
When the song ends Billy goes back to the drum riser, looks at me holds up 1 finger like "one minute" then takes the (very sweaty) shirt off and hands it to me.
Pretty cool souvy. I'll see if I can drum up a picture.

\
Idol_Shirt_and_Pick.jpg

Autograph a bit tough to see in this picture, but its above the motorcycle.

Last edited:
Haha, that's dope! Ah damn, I gotta go see him then. Not expecting that, but still sounds fun.

I like the new Lucy Dacus. No new ground or anything like that (though she uses vocoder in one of the tracks, which, eh), but a captivating record particularly due to its nice songwriting. Triple Dog Dare is a really great song, kind of analogous to her friend Phoebe Bridger's I Know The End.

The storytelling is so good. Some sort of coming of age concept album. One of my favorites of the year. I love all three of the boygenius women but this album grabbed me more than Julien Baker's from earlier this year. I think "Brando" might be the biggest standout to me so far.

Most Shuttlecock fans will (maybe) know him from his work on the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, but Jon Hassell died yesterday. Shamefully, I hadn't heard his own work until recently after Daniel Lanois's appearance on Marc Maron's podcast, where he talked about his early collaborations with Eno and Hassell.

Jon Hassell, avant garde US composer, dies aged 84

Highly recommend Fourth World, Vol. 1: Possible Musics (with Brian Eno) and Dream Theory in Malaya: Fourth World Vol. 2. It's pretty outside the mainstream but anyone who's into Peter Gabriel, Passengers or Eno/Byrne collaborations won't be too thrown by it.

Not sure if anyone's talked about it yet but "Last Day on Earth" by beabadoobee is one of the songs of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom