Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 06:16 PM   #261
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm sorry....what?

BRB.
Hmm, I'm not sure. I love how Robert's voice sounds on this, though. The song itself just kinda sounds like Chvrches doing Chvrches, but it's not like I don't like them or anything, so that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #262
45:33

Local Time: 04:51 PM
I've not listened to that much new music this year yet. I'm finding myself overwhelmed and frustrated again at the amount of things I want to be into it (new music, old music, books, video games, TV shows, etc etc) and needing to find a solution.

Speaking of music however, I really want to talk about Doja Cat. I came to her music through TikTok, that new song Kiss Me More with SZA (which is dope) is everywhere, and then I started hearing Streets a lot, and that beat is fucking so good, and that led me to Hot Pink, which I think is pretty fucking outstanding, so many good songs, including a dope track called Bottom Bitch that fucking samples blink 182.

And then I was talking to some friends about how I love her and they all started responding with cow emojis and I was like what the fuck, turns out, I had no idea about this song, which apparently is what made her popular in the first place!!

First of all, holy fuck, like the song is so stupid but it's really done, it's really funny, the film clip is fucking next level good, the way she interpolates like five popular R&B/hip-hop songs towards the end is amazing. AND I actually genuinely really like the song - the beat is really fucking nice, and the way she sings matches the beat so nicely, like if it wasn't a fucking troll I'd be like this song absolutely rules. But it does rule! (Oh and she's really fucking hot.) The only thing I can compare it to is Turquoise Jeep - because not only are the lyrics really funny, but the lo-fi film clip is brilliant, AND the song is really good. Turquoise Jeep and Michael Dapaah are the only other artists I've come across who's been able to pull all that off in recent times (obviously shout-outs to Weird Al and Richard Cheese, but they're more in the covers area than originals).

The only thing souring it for me is that the next song that plays in my iTunes is fucking American Pie which completely destroys my vibes.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:03 PM   #263
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
I heard it. I'm confused by it. It's very good, but it's not like many other records so it's hard to even know what to compare it to. I don't actually know if I like it, but I respect it.

It is decidedly weird, and I agree, almost impossible to place it in the context of other genres. I really liked the mix of prog rock and jazz, some moments are incredibly beautiful. I didn’t like their debut all that much, but Cavalcade struck me as such a mature record. The vocals can be a bit of a turn off at times, he makes me damn anxious. But it works so well in a song like John L.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:47 PM   #264

Old 06-03-2021, 11:11 PM   #265
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:51 AM
The new Wolf Alice is currently sitting at a 97 on metacritic (albeit only from 9 reviews), and from what I've heard so far, it's pretty great.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:37 PM   #266
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2inUtah View Post
The new Wolf Alice is currently sitting at a 97 on metacritic (albeit only from 9 reviews), and from what I've heard so far, it's pretty great.

Thank you for reminding me that tomorrow's going to be a great day for music.
EDIT: Oh wait! It's already up on YouTube music, oooh, does that mean Japanese Breakfast is too? Why yes it is! Omg, there's a song on here about Kokomo, Indiana.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:47 PM   #267
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
Thank you for reminding me that tomorrow's going to be a great day for music.
EDIT: Oh wait! It's already up on YouTube music, oooh, does that mean Japanese Breakfast is too? Why yes it is! Omg, there's a song on here about Kokomo, Indiana.
You're welcome. On Spotify, new music is always out at 12am ET so I can always start listening at 10 pm Thursday.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #268
Blue Crack Supplier

Yesterday I was listening to Swing Low Magellan, and while it's a step down from Bitte Orca, that album is a masterpiece and hard to match, so I can't really consider it a disappointment. Some great, great songs on there.

Made me nostalgic for the late 00s/early 2010s days here when B&C saw the warring factions of those who championed THE COFF! and those who backed THE DOO!

And talking about which of the Los Camp! ladies deserved the bigger crush.

Shouter
Old 06-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #269
ONE
love, blood, life

Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2inUtah View Post

I thought it was great. I’m really glad, as I was disappointed in Visions of a Life after loving their debut. I like the new direction (is it new? To my years it’s more polished) a lot.

The new Japanese Breakfast also didn’t disappoint. She’s such a joy. The final stretch of the album is really excellent, starting with Savage Good Boy. What a fantastic song that was, even if the lyrics were perhaps too on the nose (but rightfully so given the theme).
Old 06-05-2021, 12:47 PM   #270
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:51 AM
I wouldn't call myself a fan of Vampire Weekend, but damn Step is a good song. Probably the only song of theirs that I really enjoy.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:27 PM   #271
War Child

Have we any sort of midway through the year favorite album lists? I was really on top of music in January but have really fallen off in the last few months and feel like I'm missing a lot. Though getting concerts back this summer/fall will make it easier to keep up with what's going on. I have already purchased tickets to six or seven shows.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #272
Blue Crack Supplier

All I know is that if Phoenix manages to release an album this year, I might have 3 French bands in my 2021 Top 5 when it’s all said and done.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #273
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post
Have we any sort of midway through the year favorite album lists? I was really on top of music in January but have really fallen off in the last few months and feel like I'm missing a lot. Though getting concerts back this summer/fall will make it easier to keep up with what's going on. I have already purchased tickets to six or seven shows.
In no particular order:

The Weather Station - Ignorance
Black Country, New Road - For the First Time
black midi - Cavalcade
Feu! Chatterton - Palais d'argile
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra - Promises
Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview on Phenomenal Nature
Genesis Owusu - Smiling With No Teeth
Pearl Charles - Magic Mirror
Squid - Bright Green Field
Jane Weaver - Flock
Old 06-07-2021, 02:23 PM   #274
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:51 AM
Three that have made an impression on me:

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis: Carnage
Spirit of the Beehive: Entertainment, Death
Skee Mask: Pool
Old 06-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #275
ONE
love, blood, life

I was going to add Japanese Breakfast and Wolf Alice to my list, but let's give it another couple of weeks. They are so good though.

"Savage Good Boy" is a wonderful counterpoint to Grimes.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:09 PM   #276

Carnage, Smiling With No Teeth, Black Coffee's Subconsciously are my favs, a few I haven't listened to yet though.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #277
Blue Crack Addict

I listened to that Pearl Charles album the other day and really liked it.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:59 AM   #278

Thinking of Shouter, as I listen to Sir Lucious Left Foot The Son of Chico Dusty, as he was the only one who agreed with me at the time that it was the best rap album of 2010.

I don't think that anymore, MBDTF has stood the test of time and is clearly superior, but this is comfortably the best OutKast-related project since Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:11 AM   #279
ONE
love, blood, life

I should also say that for fans of dream pop, the new Sweet Trip album is really good, despite it's length (I can't deal with 60+ min albums these days).
Old 06-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #280
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
I should also say that for fans of dream pop, the new Sweet Trip album is really good, despite it's length (I can't deal with 60+ min albums these days).
Sweet Trip never misses. Great band.

Closed Thread